Get to know Joe Delaney

joe_delaney_medium

Thirty years ago today, Chiefs running back Joe Delaney gave his life trying to save three young boys.

Last year, the Chiefs put together a documentary looking back on Delaney’s career and his untimely passing, after only two NFL seasons.

It’s well worth your 22 minutes.

We hope that, eventually, Joe’s story gets told with far more than 22 minutes.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Get to know Joe Delaney”
  1. daringanttsux says: Jun 29, 2013 7:42 PM

NFL network had either a 1 hour or 2 hour documentary on him very recently actually

2. helloanybodyhome says: Jun 29, 2013 7:46 PM

I remember this…he was one hell of a man to do what he did.

3. thesteelers says: Jun 29, 2013 7:47 PM

Awesome stuff. I wish the world had more people like him. Never let him be forgotten.

4. anicra says: Jun 29, 2013 8:02 PM

Delaney always reminded me of a Barry Sanders lite version. I always think of Delaney and Tom Mees (ESPN) when I hear or remember either story.

5. fdugrad says: Jun 29, 2013 8:14 PM

anicra: I do as well. They were two very brave and selfless men. It wouldn’t be a bad idea for ESPN to do a tribute to Mees. The younger folks who watch many hours of ESPN more than likely have no idea who he was, much less his gallant act.

6. noring4youstill says: Jun 29, 2013 8:16 PM

While this is a great man. I am in no way demeaning what he did or died for. But I think it is sad that in all the years of the NFL we have to look back 30 years to find a shining example of a great human being.

7. jjmcowboyup says: Jun 29, 2013 8:28 PM

Just watched the documentary. Amazing story. Fox News, Limbaugh, and Geraldo apparently overlook these great stories by Great NFL players.

8. badintent says: Jun 29, 2013 8:59 PM

Super brave man. Sorry he died being a hero.
    Learn to swim. Don’t be embarrassed to take a lesson or have a friend teach you in a pool with a life guard. I taught a friend who is 45 years old. He was embarrassed at first to ask me , but now he can swim like a fish. He may save a life someday by swimming.

9. jimmylions says: Jun 29, 2013 9:49 PM

Thanks for posting the link to this documentary.

10. greenmeattruck says: Jun 30, 2013 3:21 AM

The true definition of a selfless man. We could all learn a little from a man who would do what this man did when disaster strikes. RIP!

11. bigassbiscuit says: Jun 30, 2013 3:50 AM

A great entity, I wish the were more(millions) like him.Rest his sole.

12. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Jun 30, 2013 8:47 AM

Stories like this make me proud to be a Pats fan…

13. bigj7769 says: Jun 30, 2013 10:02 AM

Ultimate selfless act…amazing story…amazing person.

14. stealthscorpio says: Jun 30, 2013 11:10 AM

Great job highlighting this Florio…