Anwar Richardson signs off in style

10177253-large

I’ve known Anwar Richardson for several years now.  I like him a lot, and I greatly respect his work.

I respect him even more today, because he has shared with his readers the details of a difficult decision to give up his job covering the Detroit Lions.

In 2011, Anwar left the Tampa Tribune for MLive.com.  It wouldn’t be easy to fill the large shoes of the late Tom Kowalski, but Anwar was willing to give it a try.

He tried, and he succeeded.

Anwar also succeeded on Sunday, with an entertaining final post that starts by listing the top five reasons he’s going.  The best two:  (1) “I became frustrated with the Lions website breaking news through ‘sources,’ which is the equivalent of me ‘learning through sources’ what my wife is cooking for dinner”; and (2) “I think Titus Young knows where I live.”

We’ll defer to Anwar for the balance of his goodbye, which sets forth the real reason for his departure.  Hopefully, he won’t be leaving the business for long.

[Photo credit:  MLive.com]

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Anwar Richardson signs off in style”
  1. ken0west says: Jun 30, 2013 3:52 PM

Congrats Anwar. Can’t wait till my dues have been paid in DC and I can return to SoFla.

2. lks311 says: Jun 30, 2013 4:26 PM

Good for Anwar following his heart back to Tampa, but with all due respect—let’s not get it twisted—he didn’t even come close to filling Killer’s shoes.

He shouldn’t feel bad about it, because no one else will either.

3. lions81slappy says: Jun 30, 2013 4:55 PM

well at least it is titus who knows his address and not aaron hernandez. at least you can replace anything that is stolen

4. hellafiedfc says: Jun 30, 2013 5:08 PM

he left cuz he wrote a crap piece last week about how Calvin Johnsons talent is being wasted as a member of the lions. and Lions fans let him know it. He can spin it anyway he chooses…

5. elwaysmilehighdenver says: Jun 30, 2013 6:34 PM

Always enjoyed reading your column on MLive Anwar. Best wishes as you return to Florida.

6. lionsdraftguy says: Jun 30, 2013 6:45 PM

@vbe2

He’s 10 times the person u are. I’m sure no one cares about u neither.

7. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 30, 2013 10:42 PM

Hmm I guess I won’t get the job to replace him since I was probably commenting several times agreeing about how the Lions are wasting Calvin Johnson.

That’s on my mind today, and it will be on my mind tomorrow, and the Lions deserve to get blasted for it every single day until they stop wasting Calvin Johnson.

Ehh I’m still going to apply for the job. ;)

8. godofwine330 says: Jun 30, 2013 11:07 PM

Just read Anwar’s article and I’ve got to say, “Now that is sports writing.” Writing with a great deal of personality as well as substance. I wish him nothing but the best for him as well as him family. I have to say, can he try and reconsider and take Tony Grossi’s spot writing for the Browns, or better yet, Mary Kay Cabot…please (God she’s horrible).

We hardly knew ye. Well, I hardly knew ye. He wrote for Detroit and Tampa and I live in Cleveland. All the best Anwar if you are reading this.

9. mikebyrne1502 says: Jul 1, 2013 2:26 AM

Ha, the lions are wasting Calvin Johnson’s talent, when that guy wrote the story about the cow who jumped over the moon, who he really saw was #81 he just had to much moonshine and grass. In all seriousness if Calvin was on the Pats, Giants, 49ers, GB, Chi, Den, Pit, Balt, for as long as he’s been on the lions, they would have won like 3-4 SB’s and every other team would have gone to the playoffs more than once, and no other team with him on it would ever go 0-16 only the Lions can do a thing like that.

Have a good day!

10. lionsdraftguy says: Jul 1, 2013 7:27 AM

Strategy expert…..I’m probably the biggest lions fan in the world, good luck getting it over me. No one can out do me when it comes to lions info.

11. mackie66 says: Jul 1, 2013 10:44 AM

Who?

12. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 1, 2013 1:04 PM

lionsdraftguy:

Yeah I have seen your name all over the Internet over the years, but honestly can’t say that I can piece together all of your particular info. Sure would like to know more about what you think about the state of the Lions. Do you have a blog somewhere or what’s your take on the team? What kind of info do you specialize in?