Gay former NFL player said he felt safest at work

Wade-Davis_150

While many wonder about the impact of an openly gay player on an NFL locker room, one of the most outspoken gay former players said it was at the team facility where he felt most secure.

Former cornerback Wade Davis, who spent time with the Seahawks, Titans and Redskins (but didn’t play in a regular season game) said he felt at ease when he was at work.

“My time in the NFL had its ups and its downs,” David told CBS 2 in Chicago, where he’ll march in today’s Pride Parade. “The safest place for me to be was actually with my teammates. I didn’t really have to think about my sexual orientation.”

Of course, that welcome would only extend as far as the locker room door, according to one coach.

I don’t think the locker room would have any problem with it,” Cardinals coach Bruce Arians recently told FOXSports.com. “The problem would be with the fans. I think especially opposing fans. Some of the things that are said are over the top and out of control that I can imagine what some fans would say to an openly gay player.”

It would be wonderful to think that Davis’ feeling comfortable at work was because our society is becoming more open-minded and accepting. More likely, it’s the simple pragmatism that most players will welcome anyone who helps them do their jobs.

If it’s a faulty step toward progress, at least it’s one in the right direction.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Gay former NFL player said he felt safest at work”
  1. SilentMajority says: Jun 30, 2013 12:55 PM

To most fans NFL players are just a source of entertainment. Most people will never really know a pro athlete, so in a way we have dehumanized them. For Professional Athletes its different, they get to know their teammates on a personal level, so when they come out it isn’t nearly as big a deal, it’s just/still Wade.

2. helixir1 says: Jun 30, 2013 2:07 PM

I guess he felt like I would if I was hanging out in the locker room of the cheerleaders:) I wonder who he had crushes on?

3. aaroncurryisbust says: Jun 30, 2013 2:16 PM

I’m disgusted that this vile cretin once donned a uniform for my team.

4. bmoritz2003 says: Jun 30, 2013 2:23 PM

Oh, we’re back on this again? What, did you run out of stories to right about the name Redskins?

5. CKL says: Jun 30, 2013 2:56 PM

Arians is probably right that fans would be the worst. But that is also an interesting point. Some fans already will use anything to scream horrible insults at players, their families, their race, etc. So why is it so much MORE awful for them to scream insults about being gay? It isn’t worse, all of it is terrible behavior suited to 3rd grade playgrounds.

The more we as a nation divide and label based on race, sexual preference etc the more likely it is for people to insult other people using those things. There probably aren’t that many people who can prove exactly what races they are anyway. But we’re all human…that and one’s character are all that matters.

It’s almost like Tebow, there is so much talk about him that he’s given an importance that de jure is much greater than his de facto importance is. And people become resentful of him (or Favre, etc, any highly talked about player) because there is so much talk about them for little reason that it spills over onto resenting the person themselves (or the group).

Being gay or straight isn’t important. Having the same (not more, not fewer) rights and opportunities is what is important. I would guess that most minorities simply want to be treated as people, not the member of some group.

6. patriotenvy says: Jun 30, 2013 4:29 PM

I don’t know why they call it “sexuality” because if you think about it it’s not really sex. Think about Bill Clinton definition of sex. They are really just masterbating together. Sorry, but it’s true. If they do it alone is it sex?

7. leanback360 says: Jun 30, 2013 7:15 PM

I’d laugh so much if an o-line player came out, to see fans shout abuse at them but then for a 6’5” 300lb guy to turn round and confront the fan, you can picture his pants change color