Lockette has an advantage in the race to replace Crabtree

Lockette AP

As the 49ers continue to look for a receiver to step up and replace Michael Crabtree, one candidate has an ace in the hole.

His best friend is the quarterback.

“It’s almost like you go somewhere and you realize someone is your cousin, and since we met we have been inseparable,” Ricardo Lockette tells the Albany Herald.  An Albany native, Lockette was in town to participate in Deion Branch’s annual youth football camp.

“The first time we met was at the NFL [Scouting] Combine, and I was like, ‘Man, you can throw.’  Then he was like, ‘Man, you are fast,'” Lockette said.  “When I texted him last year and told him I was on my way to San Fran, he got really excited.  When we saw each other we had this big hug like we grew up with each other.”

Kaepernick arrived via the second round of the 2011 draft.  Lockette was undrafted by the Seahawks, appearing in two games as a rookie and catching two passes.  One went for 44 yards, and the other was a 61-yard touchdown.

But that wasn’t enough to make the team in Seattle last season, or to stay on the practice squad.  It ended in September 2012, the 49ers stepped in, and now Lockette is a valued member of the organization — and a trusted friend of Kaepernick.

Quarterback and receiver live together in San Francisco, and they spent part of the offseason training together in Atlanta.

“We do everything together,” Lockette said. “We have basketball goals around the house and bet each other with those.  We play Madden and Call of Duty, but when we aren’t doing that we pop quiz each other about the playbook.  I might be in the shower and he might walk by the bathroom and yell, ‘Hey, what do you have on Colorado 750?’  I will tell him a route, but if it’s wrong he will come in and throw something over the shower curtain.”

In the end, the reps will go to the players coach Jim Harbaugh deems the most worthy.  But if having a rapport with the quarterback means anything (and surely it does) it will help Lockette.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Lockette has an advantage in the race to replace Crabtree”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 30, 2013 4:39 PM

He’s no Lockette scientist.

2. robinyount19 says: Jun 30, 2013 4:50 PM

What’s his first name?

3. superseahawk says: Jun 30, 2013 4:54 PM

Lockette is super fast, when he was playing up here in Seattle I thought he was going to be huge. Looks like he still might be huge, just not here.

Also, I saw Kaepernick on Jim Rome, he is an extremely likable dude. Seems to be extremely grounded. I got caught judging a book by its cover, I thought he was going to be arrogant and too cool for school, but I was way off. I came away from they interview respecting him as a person and a player.

4. helladonks says: Jun 30, 2013 5:00 PM

So complimenting somebody makes you “best friends”?
    I have about 67,294,293 girl friends then.

5. aaroncurryisbust says: Jun 30, 2013 5:01 PM

Shows you how much better than the 69ers the Seahawks are if a scrub who couldn’t make it on the roster in Seattle is a virtual certainty to make the team.

6. olyniner says: Jun 30, 2013 5:02 PM

Pete Carrolls trash is Harbaughs treasure? What’s your deal??

7. seaeagle707 says: Jun 30, 2013 5:08 PM

Ah, another of our covert operatives successfully planted. Don’t forget the Saturday night phone calls to, Pete.

8. briscocountyjr says: Jun 30, 2013 5:10 PM

“We do everything together,” Lockette said.

9. virg1969 says: Jun 30, 2013 5:14 PM

I guess printing his first name would be asking too much?

10. katoelf75 says: Jun 30, 2013 5:21 PM

That’s a great story. What’s his first name?

11. pnut87 says: Jun 30, 2013 5:22 PM

“It’s almost like you go somewhere and you realize someone is your cousin”

Maybe it’s just where I live, but that has literally never happened to me.

12. lambeaufieldwest says: Jun 30, 2013 5:33 PM

I found the shower story to be a tab bit strange.

13. jda129 says: Jun 30, 2013 5:49 PM

Hanging your hopes to replace Crabtree on a Seattle cast off stinks of desperation.

14. seacolt213 says: Jun 30, 2013 5:53 PM

Either they revised the story or ya’ll aren’t reading close enough- Ricardo Lockette. He’s got great potential. So hopefully he doesn’t burn us.

15. doe22us says: Jun 30, 2013 5:54 PM

Well not that there is anything wrong with that.

16. realskipbayless says: Jun 30, 2013 5:57 PM

How are people missing his name? Its in the story written in bold.

17. themackstrong says: Jun 30, 2013 6:03 PM

So you’re saying him and Kaep are like “Burt & Ernie” nothing wrong with that. Not saying a player can’t develop with time but Ricardo Lockette was a fast player on Seattle’s practice squad. His route tree was “1 route” – a go route. His hands were shown not to be even average plus he runs very stiff and up right even though he is lighting fast. I know with a depleted WR core some are trying to be hopeful that another man’s trash is another man’s treasure but I highly doubt it.

18. romoscollarbone says: Jun 30, 2013 6:12 PM

This sounds like a relationship.

19. waxthat says: Jun 30, 2013 6:35 PM

Maybe it’s you, pnut..you should get out from behind your iPad.

Lambeaufieldwest, were you ever in a locker room..lived with buddies in college? It really isn’t that strange. Really don’t know what you’re insinuating. These dudes have tail lined up for two times a day, seven days a week.

Get me’ Kaep and Lock

20. ctiggs says: Jun 30, 2013 6:41 PM

Sorry to s say you guyd need to run your comments like espn

21. linvillegorge says: Jun 30, 2013 6:44 PM

Well, now we know that Colorado 750 is a passing play. Pin those ears back pass rushers.

22. sweetnlow44 says: Jun 30, 2013 6:52 PM

Awww, what a cute story.

23. RUAHORNH8R says: Jun 30, 2013 6:53 PM

These two love birds are dying to come out of the closet

24. goldrush36 says: Jun 30, 2013 6:55 PM

He has an advantage in rooming with Kaep but unfortunately AJ Jenkins has an advantage in actually showing up on the practice field unlike last year’s invisibility cloak trick he pulled. If they are able to pull it off though there is a ton of speed that’s gonna be on that field outside of Boldin and Gore. Which are two wily ol vets you obviously don’t sleep on. If Lockette makes the active roster someone like Kyle Williams or Manningham better start thinking about relocating soon because both are hurt and in their final year. They won’t carry 7 WR’s once Crabtree returns

25. kdsr382013 says: Jun 30, 2013 7:01 PM

Pulling for Lockette big time! Wouldn’t it be beautiful to see Lockette go 10 for 150+ and 2 or 3 scores in Week 2 on SNF? We will keep taking their Lockettes if they will keep taking our Kentwan Balmers and Scot McCloughans.

26. hawkstradamus says: Jun 30, 2013 7:35 PM

His first name is the last name of husband on the tv classic I love Lucy

27. silentfreedom5 says: Jun 30, 2013 7:38 PM

Am I the only one who read the article? He wrote his name in bold

28. thesportsguy52 says: Jun 30, 2013 7:59 PM

They Clearly state his first name being “Ricardo”. Try to read and not skim next time, folks.

29. ripster65 says: Jun 30, 2013 8:50 PM

oh, and he was undrafted by the Seahawks? aka undrafted by anyone in the NFL, maybe?

30. jayhawk777 says: Jun 30, 2013 9:49 PM

How did Harbaugh not see the potential in former Stanford playerd in Richard Sherman, who converted him to CB his Sr season? Sherman is going to haunt Harbaugh for the next decade. Doug Baldwin is a 2nd Stanford player the same season that Harbaugh passed on. Baldwin has excellent hands, runs precise routes and is a nice Hawk option and wouldve been a good whiner receiver, so now Lockette, who only runs the 9 route is needed? Lol… Hawks dominate bcuz Harbaugh didnt see potential in 2 of his former Stanford players. Thanks Jim! And dont forget the blocked FG n scoop for a td and interception in the end zone as karp couldnt see Sherman jumpin the route!! Haha

31. osiris33 says: Jun 30, 2013 9:51 PM

Ricardo Lockette can’t catch. That’s why he’s scraping the bottom of the NFL barell in SF. The 1st receiver the Seahawks will cut in camp this year is better than him.

32. billb49 says: Jun 30, 2013 11:37 PM

@superseahawk

How refreshing to read a post from a reasonable Seahawk fan. Thank you very much! Kaepernick is indeed a humble, small-town kid and not the arrogant showboater some people think he is. And Ricardo Lockette has tremendous potential that just may be realized with good coaching and work with a good quarterback.

Your Seahawks are going to be an awesome team again this year and every Niner fan I know thinks they are the toughest games on the schedule. Good luck. I’m hoping for an epic NFC Championship battle between the Hawks and the Niners for the last game at the Stick before it’s torn down.

33. sourdoughsam says: Jun 30, 2013 11:41 PM

linvillegorge says:
    Jun 30, 2013 6:44 PM
    ____________________________

You know they call the play in the huddle, right?

34. jdsmodes says: Jun 30, 2013 11:52 PM

You Seaturkey fans crack me up.

Lockette may not be the answer for the niners, sometimes it takes guys a few years to figure out the pro game. Maybe he never will. A 6th of Golden Taint’s best years production in 2 catches :P

“Hawks dominate” 1-3 over the past two seasons sure seems dominant smh

I bey if Lockette had been busted for B&E or PEDs he’d still be a seaturkey.

35. woodsidegil says: Jul 1, 2013 12:16 AM

My, my Peehawk fans. No point in even playing games this year since you are guaranteed a Super Bowl win. It’s totally understandable because of all the Lombardi’s in your trophy case……opps, not a single one. You might want to accomplish something before crowing, you might end up eating it for dinner.

36. saints4life57 says: Jul 1, 2013 12:45 AM

Sounds like more then friends if they are doing stuff in the bathroom together! lol

37. joe400e says: Jul 1, 2013 12:47 AM

Classy post Superseahawk and I appreciate you keeping an open mind about the kid unlike some so called Niner fans.

38. bobhk says: Jul 1, 2013 1:15 AM

@osiris33

can’t wait till harvin is in the sideline due to a soft injury. Carroll will look like doofus for getting fleeced by vikes.

39. bobhk says: Jul 1, 2013 1:17 AM

@jayhawk777

perhaps harbaugh saw Sherman is juice intake.

40. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jul 1, 2013 2:02 AM

Is Lockette like Cher, Prince, Bono, Sting, Charo, Madonna, etc. – or does Lockette actually have a first name?

41. sonoco says: Jul 1, 2013 2:12 AM

Junior gms like jayhawk make me laugh. First, Baalke is the gm, second Sherman and Baldwin are a-holes.

42. bobhk says: Jul 1, 2013 2:59 AM

@osiris33

43. zevo49 says: Jul 1, 2013 4:37 AM

SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT I HAVE BAD EYES….I DON’T UNDERSTAND THE SEAGULLS UP IN RAIN COUNTRY OF SEATTLE AND HOW THEY LET RICARDO THE “ROCKET LOCKETTE GO AFTER TWO CATCHES, I MEAN 40 AND 60 + YARDS AND THE 60 FOR A TOUCHDOWN, I WOULD HAVE KEEP HIM AROUND TO SEE IF WE HAD SOMETHING THERE. HELL AS I REMEMBER THE SEAGUPPYS DIDN’T HAVE ANY TOP RECEIVER’S AT THE TIME AS I REMEMBER SO I DIDN’T UNDERSTAND THE MOVE. BUT AS A TRUE DIE RED HARD TO THE CORE 49ER FAN I’M GLAD THEY LET HIM GO AND I SEE THE ROCKET AND THE GENERAL PATTON DOING GREAT THINGS FOR THE 49ERS FOR YEARS TO COME…I’M NOT SURE IF PETE C. WAS THE ONE CALLING THE SHOT TO LET LOCKETTE GO BUT THAXS SEAPUPPYS.

44. zevo49 says: Jul 1, 2013 4:48 AM

YOU GUYS THAT SAY THE SHOWER PART IS STRANGE IS NOT A GUY WHO HAD CLOSE FRIENDS CAUSE AS A NAVY MAN WE HAD 2 ROOMMATES WHEN WE WERE IN HOME PORT AND WE DID THAT KIND OF STUFF ALL THE TIME BUT WITH QUALIFICATIONS AS THEY ROOMED A QUALIFIED PERSON WITH A NON-QUALIFIED PERSON AND THE QUALIFIED PERSON WOULD ASK THE NON-QUAL OR (DINK) AS THEY ARE CALLED ON SUBMARINES A QUESTION ABOUT HIS QUALIFICATONS ON THE SUB AND IF HE DIDN’T KNOW THE ANSWER HE WOULD GET THE SAME TREATMENT IF HE WAS IN THE SHOWER OR ANYWHERE HE WAS….NOW THATS TRUE FRIENDSHIP. ON SUBMARINES YOU HAVE TO RELY ON THAT PERSON AS HE COULD BE SAVING YOUR LIFE SOMEDAY AND ON SUBS YOU DON’T HAVE TO MUCH ROOM FOR ERROR.

45. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 1, 2013 9:49 AM

I hear they are really, really close, I wonder where they will be honeymooning.

46. kdsr382013 says: Jul 1, 2013 10:08 AM

Haaaa HAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Spidey, I’ve been a Niner fan for over 3 decades now, but a good one is a good one, and that was a good one!

47. jayniner says: Jul 1, 2013 1:10 PM

The bigger question here is what are their Call of Duty screen names?

Hey, I least I can beat Kaepernick at something….

48. teylo32 says: Jul 1, 2013 3:45 PM

I think its pretty funny the seahawks fans on here talking about how bad the 49ERS must be if their trash(lockette) becomes our treasure. Funny how quick people forget. Does the name marshawn lynch ring a bell. Their isnt much worse trash than bills trash to become your treasure.

49. themackstrong says: Jul 2, 2013 1:29 PM

Yeah I am pretty sure a HB with 2 – 1000 yard seasons out of his first 3 years in NFL isn’t trash. Now a WR who was on practice squad with 2 catches total in his 3 years may not be the savoir you are hoping for. But keeping pumping up that depleted WR crops because NFC West Rams, Cards and Seahawks all have legit CB’s.

50. mikejaeger says: Jul 2, 2013 5:31 PM

A speed receiver with big lungs is one important part in a record setting Kaepernick offense which we will see this year… 50 to 65 points per game is common for Kaepernick – running double numbers of offensive plays compared to most teams allowing short intervals for rest between plays… this is a recipe he learned at Reno where he became the all time leader… ABOVE ALL OTHER COLLEGE QUARTERBACKS IN HISTORY – FOR PASSING AND RUNNING…. LoL