Aaron Hernandez jerseys are hot sellers on eBay

Arizona Cardinals v New England Patriots Getty Images

The NFL has stopped selling Aaron Hernandez jerseys, and the Patriots are offering a replacement jersey for anyone who wants to exchange one with Hernandez’s name and number. But that doesn’t mean Hernandez jerseys are going away.

In fact, fans who have listed Hernandez jerseys on eBay in the days since Hernandez was charged with first-degree murder have been able to turn a profit.

Patriots fan John Lamothe told the Boston Globe he was shocked to get $289 for a Hernandez jersey he put on eBay last week.

“I thought about giving it to Goodwill, but I didn’t think anybody would want it,” Lamothe said. “I thought I might get $15 for it.”

Lynn L’Heureux, who paid $100 for a Hernandez jersey, has seen the bidding reach $127 so far.

“I can’t think of any reason why people would want it,” L’Heureux said. “They might think it will go up in value later on, and maybe it will, but I’m not interested. I just don’t want it in my possession. I want to use the money to buy a jersey that reflects my pride in the Patriots.”

So despite everything we’ve learned about Hernandez in the last couple of weeks, we may still see some Hernandez jerseys in the stands at Gillette Stadium this season.

Permalink 105 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
105 Responses to “Aaron Hernandez jerseys are hot sellers on eBay”
  1. relggigeht says: Jul 1, 2013 6:51 AM

Like I said before, Hernandez may still have a higher approval rating than congressional republicans:)

2. edge661 says: Jul 1, 2013 6:53 AM

People are sick minded!!

3. tapochau says: Jul 1, 2013 6:58 AM

put it next to OJ’s jersey

4. sportsmeccabi says: Jul 1, 2013 6:59 AM

I kind of wished I had one to wear.

It would’ve been good to just troll the general population.

5. kane337 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:00 AM

There will be a lot of Aaron Hernandez costumes at Halloween parties this year.

6. vikings1976 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:01 AM

Starting to believe the hype. Americans are the dumbest people on the planet.

7. gbfanforever says: Jul 1, 2013 7:03 AM

I can just imagine some douchey frat types hounding these so they can wear them around and yuk it up with each other. Really shows respect for the victim of a murder…

8. bospat says: Jul 1, 2013 7:04 AM

Probably gang bangers

9. zidanevalor says: Jul 1, 2013 7:05 AM

I really hate to say this because a man is dead, but I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of Hernandez-based Halloween costumes this year.

10. aintasinner says: Jul 1, 2013 7:07 AM

Could be that people won’t wear them but might want them as a collector’s item. Personally, I wouldn’t want one, but people collect all kinds of memorabilia connected to crimes especially items connected to notorious criminals or high profile crimes. I believe most Patriot fans would prefer to distance themselves from Hernandez and will not wear his jersey to any games.

11. lgw91s says: Jul 1, 2013 7:07 AM

All about the Benjamin’s.

12. rcbn says: Jul 1, 2013 7:07 AM

Ahhhh! The sickness that permeates America.

13. daburgher says: Jul 1, 2013 7:10 AM

I wish i was born long before 1986… i feel like society is out of its mind right now

14. beckzhere says: Jul 1, 2013 7:10 AM

I wish the Falcons and its fans would have treated the Vick debacle like the Patriots are handling this situation. It sickens/irritates me every Sunday seeing thousands of Vick jerseys in the parking lots and stadium.

I guess owning the jersey if a sociopath or psychopath is in demand. That’s America for ya.

15. rationalitybias says: Jul 1, 2013 7:12 AM

These are likely the same scumbags who wanted to buy casey anthony and james holmes Halloween masks. (I won’t capitalize their names since neither of them deserve it.)

16. mitchem85 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:16 AM

Discontinue the sale of the jerseys*

17. phoowes says: Jul 1, 2013 7:18 AM

Wanna be gangsters

18. benh999 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:19 AM

Can I still get a Dave Megget jersey?

19. manilarizzo says: Jul 1, 2013 7:21 AM

C’mon Smith. Just because some are looking to turn a profit or want a “collectors item” doesn’t mean anyone will be wearing one, let alone to a Pats game.

You see many OJ jerseys at Bills games?

20. lks311 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:23 AM

Street Cred.

21. fballguy says: Jul 1, 2013 7:24 AM

They probably want to keep it next to their O.J. jersey and Charles Manson rookie card.

22. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jul 1, 2013 7:25 AM

You have to think about the types of fans out there. There are a lot of fans who aren’t diehard fans like us here on PfT. Maybe their heads are in the sand for current events. Could be a relative buying what he thinks is a great gift for their nephew.

There should be a disclaimer on selling those jerseys
    ” Hernandez is quite possibly a serial killer”

23. grpatriot says: Jul 1, 2013 7:26 AM

Gang Bangers on E Bay…?

24. jetsfan79 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:29 AM

Ill pay 127$ for someone to take my Sanchez jersey

25. anchorbarred says: Jul 1, 2013 7:30 AM

Here come this year’s halloween costumes.

26. carpi2 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:30 AM

I can venture to say we’ll see a good amount Hernandez jerseys being worn by the fans of opposing teams at every Patriots game this year.

27. kelvinmchale says: Jul 1, 2013 7:31 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Patriots ban people from wearing Hernandez jerseys to Patriots games. Also, he was #85 for his first season in Foxborough.

28. bewaredware says: Jul 1, 2013 7:32 AM

Halloween costumes

29. qbofthenever says: Jul 1, 2013 7:32 AM

People. They’re the worst.

30. thesmartest1 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:33 AM

Deion Branch put on some weight so he needs a few jerseys. No big deal.

31. bennyb82 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:34 AM

Halloween is coming up…

32. saint2112 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:40 AM

People should donate ANY profit from those shirts to Odin Lloyd’s family.

33. triky72 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:40 AM

Gang bangers are the ones that will be buying them so they can wear it as a symbol of pride. Dont sell it, if you arent going to trade it just throw it away

34. firestarter0728 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:42 AM

They’re collecting jerseys for the All-Murderer team.

35. bennyb82 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:42 AM

Also, I highly doubt there will be a lot of people wearing that jersey at a Patriots game…maybe an opposing team`s fan…but Hernandez represents such a major black eye to the franchise that there will be some drunk guys trying to fight whoever is wearing one…which is probably not the guy you would want to mess with…but I think ppl who wrar that jersey will be harrassed.

36. shots732000 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:42 AM

I wonder if they’re having any killer deals on them.

37. jetslakersfan says: Jul 1, 2013 7:42 AM

This is why the Pats are doing a jersey exchange. They trying to get back some of the money there going to have to still pay him..lol

38. SilentMajority says: Jul 1, 2013 7:44 AM

It’s going to be a collectors item, baby…for about a week.

39. nfl4days says: Jul 1, 2013 7:44 AM

Its a damn shame people value someone on their team more than the lives of 3 men.

40. greyhawk9 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:44 AM

welcome to america. a sad sad place.

41. txmedic5 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:45 AM

Not buying Pats fans buying these. More likely street punks and those with the same character traits as as a gang member.

42. stainlineho says: Jul 1, 2013 7:45 AM

Hell I don’t blame them. If you can get more money on ebay why not?

43. ratbirdking says: Jul 1, 2013 7:47 AM

Those people clearly aren’t familiar with PFT commenters.

Or the name Ron Mexico.

44. misterziggles says: Jul 1, 2013 7:59 AM

I was just thinking to myself how amusing it would be to give the jersey to my friend who happens to be a distraught Patriots fan.

Guess I’ll have to wait for them to leave Beanie Baby territory before I get one.

45. wwwmattcom says: Jul 1, 2013 7:59 AM

An athlete accused of murder, drunk driving, domestic abuse, drug use, whatever it may be. That is exactly why I don’t buy Jerseys. A jersey is like a costume of your hero, except it isn’t Halloween and the hero might only be good at football and bad at life.
    In my mind when i see someone wearing a jersey I imagine that person is trying to trick me into believing that they are that person. Awkward when you aren’t anywhere near a basketball court, football field or baseball diamond. At least hockey jerseys were functional sweaters before they were revenue boosters.

46. ldenne says: Jul 1, 2013 8:07 AM

So are Ray Lewis jerseys!

47. mastermind2514 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:07 AM

these are the die hard collectors & fans that probably had not picked up his jersey yet and realize this may be their last shot at one

48. therealbillybuffalo says: Jul 1, 2013 8:12 AM

Why is this a surprise? People still wear OJ Simpson jerseys.

49. explosionsauce says: Jul 1, 2013 8:13 AM

I can see some wannabe gangsters sporting these unfortunately. To career gangbangers he must be like Michael Jordan.

50. haywoodjablomee says: Jul 1, 2013 8:14 AM

I can see it now, a kid walking down the street with this jersey on, pants down to his knees, cap on sideways, and a gold grill. What’s the problem?

51. eaglesw00t says: Jul 1, 2013 8:14 AM

I guess the people that make official jerseys are happy.

It isnt hard to get a blank official jersey and put official numbers and letters on them. Ebay sellers are basically printing money right now.

52. dexterismyhero says: Jul 1, 2013 8:14 AM

Patriots are probabaly buying them up on eBay.

53. jeffreyshulenburg says: Jul 1, 2013 8:29 AM

Its the same thing that happened in Buffalo after Juice went behind bars. You still see OJ jerseys at Buffalo games.

Its not that people support who these people are, its that they still cling to who they were.

The difference of course being, OJ Simpson was an NFL rushing leader setting some very high benchmarks for years to come. Hernandez is a 3 year #2 TE who never managed anything other than being…average.

54. lunar2013 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:34 AM

It’s also possible people don’t read the news, don’t know he’s been arrested and think they are getting a great deal on a Pats jersey.

55. thejohnsmith1122 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:37 AM

Maybe the ones buying it are people from Hernandez’s crew.

56. frani5 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:40 AM

I have a #81 Pats jersey…BUT it’s MOSS – the jersey’s do not show ‘MOSS’ from the front view so that left me with a dilemma… I’ve decided to place ‘MOSS’ down the #1 so that it’s evident who the #81 represents!

57. mpops86 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:40 AM

Or they’re buying the jerseys to get a free swap from the pro shop…

58. unbearablemonster says: Jul 1, 2013 8:43 AM

got to pay for that season ticket somehow!

59. onbucky96 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:43 AM

Same thing w/my OJ rookie card back in the day. I didn’t sell it as I felt guilty about making money off of an “alleged” double murder.

60. tooz72 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:44 AM

ship mine to “da hood”

61. jjbadd385 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:45 AM

Yea, the chic said she wanted a jersey to show her pride for the Pats? Why didnt she just trade it on the Pats site rather than sell it?

62. 8man says: Jul 1, 2013 8:45 AM

Those jerseys won’t be seen in Gillette. And maybe not in any NFL stadium. They are being purchased by the punks and gang banger wanna- bes.

In their culture, killing and incarceration are rites of passage. This jersey now signifies a completion of two critical steps to gang indoctrination.

63. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Jul 1, 2013 8:46 AM

I don’t see any Hernandez jerseys on ebay going for that much this morning

64. xlichamps says: Jul 1, 2013 8:51 AM

mpops86 says:
    Jul 1, 2013 8:40 AM
    Or they’re buying the jerseys to get a free swap from the pro shop…

………………………………………………………………

Yes, I’m sure they’re buying $289 jerseys on ebay so they can exchange it for a free $100 jersey at the Pro Shop. *facepalm*

65. floratiotime says: Jul 1, 2013 8:52 AM

To be honest … I’m surprised the NFL is missing this chance to make money. Think about it … a Famour Murderers set of jerseys. Manson … Berkowitz … the options are endless … and so is the cash.

66. saints4life57 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:55 AM

Ummmm people aren’t buying the jersey so they can wear it to the games silly! They are buying it in hopes that later on down the road it will be worth a lot more money then they paid for it! (Which it won’t) but in todays world everyone is always trying to make a quick buck and look for that easy money! (Except for Hernandez) I don’t think he cared to much about making a quick buck! I think killing someone was more his style! ; ) All the money he has and the money he was set to earn should all go to the victims family! At least someone would get use out of the millions the guy made!

67. randy8123 says: Jul 1, 2013 9:02 AM

Unfortunately I think we’ll see those jerseys in Miami and the Meadowlands, not Foxborough.

68. wwwmattcom says: Jul 1, 2013 9:06 AM

You can’t compare OJ to Hernandez. Current vs. Former player. Buffalo or the 49ers, weren’t feeling the shame New England feels. Not to mention, OJ’s generation of fans wasn’t the target audience at the time of the murders, the murders happened in California, not Buffalo and OJ was a lot less of a Buffalo Bill when compared to Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith and he was more of an actor/commentator.

69. tsimpson50 says: Jul 1, 2013 9:07 AM

I’m thinking it’s probably fans from another team who will heckle the Patriots during their road games… Idiotic, but there are some crazy fans out there..

70. peytonwantsaflag says: Jul 1, 2013 9:14 AM

these will be big at Halloween parties this year.

71. pleazenufalready says: Jul 1, 2013 9:25 AM

Hmmm, $289……must have got a purple drank stain on his Carruth jersey.

72. jiggy3198 says: Jul 1, 2013 9:26 AM

Capitalism at its finest

73. CKL says: Jul 1, 2013 9:28 AM

jjbadd385 says:
    Jul 1, 2013 8:45 AM
    __________________________________
    They’re taking back the ones purchased from them only (online & in person at their store in the stadium)as far as I know. She might have bought it from NFL shop or a local sporting goods store.

74. vincentbojackson says: Jul 1, 2013 9:44 AM

Meanwhile they’re handing out Hernandez jerseys free of cost in a third world country right now alongside Spurs NBA champion t-shirts and Boston Bruins Stanley cup champion hats.

75. johndont says: Jul 1, 2013 9:45 AM

I have a Jets Tebow jersey bidding starts at $.99 – do we have any bids out there. Hurry up, this jersey will go fast.

76. Square Peg, Round Hole says: Jul 1, 2013 9:47 AM

Making a killing off the sale of those Hernandez jerseys, huh?

77. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 1, 2013 9:47 AM

We live in a sick and greedy society. Who here is really surprised.

78. ermur22 says: Jul 1, 2013 9:49 AM

Your comparing Michael Vick to Aaron Hernandez?! Give me a break

79. fryeways says: Jul 1, 2013 9:59 AM

frani5 says:
    Jul 1, 2013 8:40 AM

Same boat here. Not willing to wear my Moss jersey to the stadium and risk the abuse this fall, which is a great shame because Randy brought greatness to #81 for the Pats.

80. fanofevilempire says: Jul 1, 2013 9:59 AM

The Jerseys are increasing in price as the
    bodies pile up on Hernandez.

81. tellthetruth1313 says: Jul 1, 2013 10:20 AM

LOSERS!!!

82. pjevonj says: Jul 1, 2013 10:27 AM

WOW…. This guy hasn’t even had his day in court yet. What happened to perceived innocence until proven guilty. SMH.

83. bookofelisha10 says: Jul 1, 2013 10:36 AM

how stupid are these people? over paying for a jersey when you can get a custom jersey made from patriots put on 81 and add hernandez for custom name for half the price of these idiots buying up ebay jerseys like you cant remake them LOLLL

84. stainlessstill says: Jul 1, 2013 10:38 AM

‘Merica!

85. no1billsfan says: Jul 1, 2013 10:41 AM

Just wait til the dirt on Tom Brady comes out — imagine what his jersey will be worth!

86. bkostela says: Jul 1, 2013 10:43 AM

i traded for him on my team in madden, and now i’m stuck with him since the trade deadline has passed. do you guys think he will harm the other players on my team?

87. ashutto20 says: Jul 1, 2013 10:57 AM

Some moron will wear the jersey.. maybe even to a pats game

I still see Rae Carruth jerseys here in charlotte being worn

88. nananatman says: Jul 1, 2013 11:08 AM

I like what New Englanders are doing to handle this, good job New England.

89. therealbillybuffalo says: Jul 1, 2013 11:24 AM

@manilarizzo, Yes.

90. i10east says: Jul 1, 2013 11:30 AM

I get so sick of the ‘That’s America for ya!” comments. Yeah, like most other countries of the world are so damn civilized…

91. stellarperformance says: Jul 1, 2013 11:33 AM

obamareallysucks says:
    Jul 1, 2013 10:19 AM
    most likely low IQ, un-informed punks buying them. in other words, odumbo supporters.
    ///////////////////////////////////

What????? If the perpetrator is a college educated handgun owner, I would expect most of these after-market purchases to be done by members of the NRA, not Obama supporters. You should bake your logic a little bit longer.

92. citizenstrange says: Jul 1, 2013 11:34 AM

He’s big in Japan.

93. annes22 says: Jul 1, 2013 11:38 AM

Who wants a jersey for a possible murderer, I give mine away to a homeless person.

94. blkdogcreative says: Jul 1, 2013 11:58 AM

Messed up!

95. blackmagic7 says: Jul 1, 2013 12:07 PM

I noticed a few of those auctions had high bidders with 0-5 feedback scores. Hmmm…

Either someone isn’t getting paid, or someone’s going out of their way to buy…

96. tonyricemajorharris says: Jul 1, 2013 12:14 PM

Sad for our society

97. fearthehoody says: Jul 1, 2013 12:26 PM

Put mine up at $0.99 starting and wouldve taken whatever I could get. Guy offered me $150 to end and sell to him , so I did!

98. atxpatfan says: Jul 1, 2013 12:28 PM

Seriously? Do you really think any Pats fan will wear a Hernandez jersey to Gillette stadium? Pull your head outta your “self.”

Also, I’m sure that any opposing fan who decided to do so would likely find themselves more uncomfortable than usual.

99. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 1, 2013 12:28 PM

Of course people want to buy it. The supply is drying up and thus the prices will go up in the future. The people winning those crazy bids will make profit too, and a bigger profit than this first round of sellers that is getting impatient.

People (mainly gangster wannabes) want the jersey of arguably the greatest gangster in pro sports of today, well recent times if goes down, but he’s still a legend to his fans and followers for what he did and tried to do in terms of being a “bad ass” And these people feel they can strike fear in others when they are seen wearing this “bad ass” rep piece.

Plus he may still get off. If he does then his street cred goes way up and those jerseys go up even further too. And if somehow he got off and made another team, then this jersey would be more controversial since he would have to have new ones issued and the meaning behind the extremely rare PATS version of the jersey would be a very symbolic thing at least in terms of being able to cash it for significant dollars.

100. maiphatdong says: Jul 1, 2013 12:30 PM

I would ban them from the stadium, and if someone is caught with one inside, they would get tossed out.

101. cdan374 says: Jul 1, 2013 12:37 PM

vikings1976 says: Jul 1, 2013 7:01 AM

Starting to believe the hype. Americans are the dumbest people on the planet.

———————-

Come to Saudi Arabia, where I have lived for the past 10 years, and I will make you eat those words…

There are some AH-level criminals here and that’s just the criminals – don’t get me started on the general population!

102. hedleykow says: Jul 1, 2013 1:40 PM

Seriously, what kind of idiot would shell out $289 for a Hernandez jersey at this point in time? It almost had to have been a Raider fan.

103. jerrygray721 says: Jul 1, 2013 1:46 PM

lynn did not want A.H.’S jersey instead she wanted a jersey that showed her patriot pride so will she by the Sony shirt or J.V.C. one ?

104. raidersftw says: Jul 1, 2013 4:37 PM

Why would a raider fan but a pats jersey, some of you are brain dead

105. bruinsfan1953 says: Jul 1, 2013 8:12 PM

He could still be in the Hall of Fame that’s why