Four years with NBC, and counting

500px-1956_NBC_logo.svg

It’s July 1.  A slow point on the NFL calendar, but a momentous day in these parts.

Four years ago today, we hitched the PFT wagon to NBC.

I didn’t want to do it.  Rick Cordella, now the NBC Sports Group Senior Vice President and General Manager, Digital, can attest to that.  I tried to scare him away, making Costanza-style demands and protestations about journalistic integrity despite, as Jerry (sort of) told George, I’m not a journalist, and I have no integrity.

But it eventually happened (the whole story is too long to tell here, also likely too boring).  And it has been the best move we ever made.

Sure, we get accused from time to time of being kindler and gentler than we used to be.  And then, when we try to show that we have the same edge we displayed pre-NBC, we get accused of being jerks, or worse.

It’s a balance we’ll continue to try to strike, one day at a time, dozens of posts and tweets per day.  Will we periodically, through all the content and stories and reports and takes, give a blogger or tweeter or whatever something to point to and say, “See, these guys are sellouts” or “See, these guys are jerks, or worse”?  Sure.

But the greater goal is to enhance the diversion that comes from following the NFL, with information and analysis and mildly-amusing-at-times turns of phrase or YouTube clips or whatever else will make this something other than the unflavored gelatin recitation of the facts you can find in plenty of other places.

Thanks to everyone at NBC who helps up do what we do, including (and I’m guaranteed to piss someone off by omitting them but what the hell I’ll give it a try anyway) Mark Lazarus, Sam Flood, Fred Gaudelli, Rick Cordella, Kevin Monaghan, Matt Casey, Brett Goodman, Dan Steir, Bruce Cornblatt, Joe Gesue, Ron Vaccaro, Ron Wechsler, Michael Kane, Eric Black, Kristen Coleman, the entire crew that puts together PFT Live, the entire crew that puts together Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, the folks who have the thankless job of clearing the thousands of comments our posts generate, all the great on-air talent who has treated us like family from day one, including Dan Patrick, Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Cris Collinsworth, Tony Dungy, Rodney Harrison, Hines Ward, Peter King, Doug Flutie, and Michele Tafoya, Pro Football Talk on NBCSN co-host Erik Kuselias, analysts Ross Tucker, Shaun King, Pete Najarian, and Anthony Becht, fill-in hosts Carolyn Manno and Russ Thaler, and the ever-growing crew of folks who crank out the content here every day of the year, with no days off:  Michael David Smith, Darin Gantt, Josh Alper, Curtis Crabtree, and Mike Wilkening.

And special thanks to Dick Ebersol, who believed in what we do and constantly went out of his way to help promote it.

That’s a lot of names.  Proving that, indeed, we’ve come a long way from a solitary man in a messy apartment that may or may not contain a chicken.

Thanks for joining us on the ride, and please stick around.  We’re constantly trying to make it better, and we hope that we’ll find ways to do it in the coming years.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Four years with NBC, and counting”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 1, 2013 11:53 AM

Well just don’t get complacent like Goodell and seek out innovation where you can. There’s endless things you could do to add to and enhance the site. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with over the years!

2. logicalvoicesays says: Jul 1, 2013 11:54 AM

Mike Florio is the hardest working journalist in American Sports Broadcasting. #TheRGIIIofJournalists

3. dlbpatsfan says: Jul 1, 2013 11:55 AM

That’s great, and PFT is the best damn sports show in my opinion. Congratulations.

4. dalcow4 says: Jul 1, 2013 11:56 AM

It has been interesting to watch how much pull GE has over your content. The constant push on gay issues has been ridiculous, as has been the over the top hate on Tebow. Conformity pays.

5. kdish87 says: Jul 1, 2013 12:05 PM

Bring back Taco Bill & Pic of the Day

6. aaroncurryisbust says: Jul 1, 2013 12:08 PM

Love PFT and the hilarious comment community, here’s to another 4 years and beyond.

7. jdphx says: Jul 1, 2013 12:27 PM

Yawn…. you say something Florio?

8. kane337 says: Jul 1, 2013 12:42 PM

Happy anniversary

9. 52lightsxout52 says: Jul 1, 2013 12:42 PM

Congrats Mr. Florio & Co. on your 4th Anniversary with NBC. I’ll admit, I’ve been one to criticize a time or two, but being a loyal fan since the old days, PFT is still the number one site for us NFL football junkies to get our fix, and we just want it to stay that way! :-)

10. dave0320 says: Jul 1, 2013 12:44 PM

A great success story. Keep on going Mike.

11. keylimelight says: Jul 1, 2013 12:46 PM

One of the reasons I come here often is the frequency at which you add content. Other MSM sites don’t seem as quick on the draw so I click in to check for breaking news.

I appreciate the humor probably because I’m from the same age group and what may seem obscure to some actually makes perfect sense to me.

Congratulations and thanks.

12. asimonetti88 says: Jul 1, 2013 1:11 PM

so much better than ESPN

13. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Jul 1, 2013 1:22 PM

Taco Bill is gone but not forgotten. Same goes for the guy who used to do the segments with you in your mom’s basement. Brocato or something. Where is that guy now? Shagging golf balls in Wheeling?

14. purpleguy says: Jul 1, 2013 1:24 PM

Congrats Mike — I hope you know that your site is probably responsible for 10% of the unproductivity of US working class males between the hours of 8-5.

15. nickster31 says: Jul 1, 2013 2:11 PM

As a loyal reader for the last 9+ years, I LOVE what the site has turned into.

The ONLY two negatives is that Taco Bill isn’t around anymore and the April 1st pranks have gone away.

Other than that, CONGRATS! It has been a great run, and looking forward to the next 10 years!

16. stillers1229 says: Jul 1, 2013 2:57 PM

Attacka! Attacka!!!

17. rcali says: Jul 1, 2013 4:03 PM

I have no problem with Mr. Florio selling out. Money is money.

18. doe22us says: Jul 1, 2013 4:04 PM

Yeah where the hell did you stuff Brocato? Still in the chicken basement?

19. mrstpaul says: Jul 1, 2013 5:08 PM

Happy anniversary. Can you talk to NBCSN about showing an evening repeat of PFT? It runs from 4:00 to 5:00 here in the Central time zone, and now that I’m (thankfully) employed again, I never get to see the show anymore.

20. nekelund says: Jul 1, 2013 9:44 PM

I must say I dislike how NBC’s policy on child labour made you get rid of Gregg Rosenthal. That kid had so much future potential…