New Lion Idonije will have extra motivation when playing the Bears

israel Idonije, Tim Tebow AP

After playing the last nine seasons for the Bears, defensive end Israel Idonije has signed with the Lions, and he says he’ll have some extra motivation when playing against his old team twice this season.

“I’m looking forward to twice a year, dressing up, suiting up and getting after it on the field when we play the Bears in Detroit and then in Chicago,” Idonije said on NFL AM.

Idonije, who initially entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Browns in 2003, says he feels similar motivation facing Cleveland, even though he lasted only a few months there.

“I looked at it the same way when we played the Cleveland Browns. I was with them for a quick second my first year. Until this day, whenever I play the Browns, I make sure they remember that once upon a time I was a Brown,” Idonije said.

Idonije added, however, that when he faces the Bears he’ll have no personal animosity toward anyone, and he won’t be extra motivated to sack Jay Cutler, whom he considers a friend.

“I love Jay,” Idonije said. “I was with him for a lot of years and watched him do a lot of great things.”

This season, the great thing would be for Idonije to take Cutler down.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “New Lion Idonije will have extra motivation when playing the Bears”
  1. groleo45 says: Jul 2, 2013 11:07 AM

Now THAT’S what I like to hear– Loved this signing when they made it, but this is exactly the type of dude we need in that locker room. Lets go Lions!

2. tokyosanbblaster says: Jul 2, 2013 11:16 AM

In Green Bay we love “dressing up”, too.

3. jrock3x8 says: Jul 2, 2013 11:17 AM

you will be missed izzy…

4. floratiotime says: Jul 2, 2013 11:59 AM

Yeah, he’ll get even with those guys who paid him millions of dollars. Who wouldn’t be mad ? Hint … anyone who’s not a jerk.

5. qbofthenever says: Jul 2, 2013 12:05 PM

Israel Idonije was always easy to cheer for, and he was a nice role player…but I don’t see this as a big loss for the Bears. He’s just a slightly above average end with some d-line versatility. If anything, the Bears will miss his field goal push and ability to block kicks.

6. mialto says: Jul 2, 2013 12:12 PM

Not sure what happened and why he signed a 1 year deal for league minimum with Lions, instead of the same offer sheet from Bears. I love Izzy and wished he stayed with the Bears, but lets not think he’s trash talking, it’s just excitement of playing your former team.

7. vertskate900 says: Jul 2, 2013 12:14 PM

Izzy was always a nice, classy player which makes you wonder: What the heck is he doing on the Lions?

8. aaroncurryisbust says: Jul 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Screw him, I only recognize Palestine Idonije.

9. packfaninchitown says: Jul 2, 2013 12:38 PM

You won’t have to target Cutler there Izzy, with the guys starting on that right side of the line you’ll have no trouble sacking him even without the extra effort.

10. jazsrt says: Jul 2, 2013 12:39 PM

Best of luck, Izzy.

The NFC North is going to be fun to watch this year.

11. jazsrt says: Jul 2, 2013 12:57 PM

packfaninchitown says:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:38 PM

-If that isn’t a pure and prime example of the pot calling the kettle black, I dont know what is…

If I were a fan from GB, I’d be a little worried about this as well.

12. esplife03 says: Jul 2, 2013 1:19 PM

As a Bears fan I’m sorry to see him go, but for anyone wondering he opted to sign for another team that will give him a larger role. The Bears are starting to rely on the younger guys on the line and the emergence of Wooton pretty much put the nail in the coffin for Izzy. That being said you Lions got yourself a real solid player—he’s a class act and will help out in the locker room big time. BEAR DOWN!

13. stanleyhalas says: Jul 2, 2013 3:30 PM

It’s not animosity, he played with most of those guys and fought with a lot of them for years. It’s like when you play against your brother you always go your hardest, show them your best.

Izzy was a great bear and I will still wish him the best, except when he plays the bears.

14. bsandersislegend20 says: Jul 2, 2013 4:01 PM

@ esplife03

—————————————————————————–

As a Lions fan I can’t say that I’ve seen eye to eye with too many of our division rivals but I think you got your head right. Can’t wait for the season man. Best of luck.

15. toofast79 says: Jul 2, 2013 5:01 PM

I don’t understand a guy like Izzy having “extra” motivation while playing against the Bears, or the Browns for that matter. He was an undrafted free agent from Canada, you would think he would be grateful those teams gave him a chance at his dreams.

16. tokyosandblaster says: Jul 3, 2013 9:42 AM

Well, it’s quite clear that it will be the Lions and Bears fighting for 2nd in the division.

The overachieving lions are destined for 4-12 again.

17. wnstonchill says: Jul 3, 2013 11:32 AM

Izzy is simply one of the classiest players that’s ever suited up for the Bears. I truly wish him all the best as a Lion and beyond. I’m even okay with him having 2 great games against the Bears, (as long as the Lions score is less than the Bears)!! Go get ‘em Izzy!!!