Giovani Bernard could see time as receiver for Bengals

Giovani Bernard AP

The Cincinnati Bengals had their choice of any running back in the draft when they selected North Carolina running back Giovani Bernard in the second round in April.

The Bengals are hoping Bernard’s skills give them a more dynamic threat at the running back position than the bigger backs they’ve utilized for the past several seasons. However, the Bengals could be getting an additional benefit from Bernard than just his ability to carry the football.

According to the team’s official website, Bernard saw time at receiver during the Bengals’ offseason workouts and running backs coach Hue Jackson liked what he saw from the rookie.

“He’s so natural catching the ball. He can catch it like a receiver,” Jackson said. “I knew he could catch it really well, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he could go out there and line up outside and catch balls like some other guys can because he has that skill set.”

BenJarvus Green-Ellis started 15 games for the Bengals last season and served as their workhorse back with 1,094 yards and six touchdowns. He still figures to factor in heavily for Cincinnati this season. Bernard could prove to be the versatile threat needed to give another dimension to the Bengals’ offense next season.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Giovani Bernard could see time as receiver for Bengals”
  1. joetoronto says: Jul 3, 2013 5:53 AM

“I knew he could catch it really well, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he could go out there and line up outside and catch balls like some other guys can because he has that skill set.” Jackson said

Hue’s ego is on display again, no need to wait and see if he’s right.

SMH.

2. crazycane says: Jul 3, 2013 7:19 AM

This kid will end up the best RB in this draft. I wanted the Bears to draft him as the Hurricanes let him slide since he didn’t Wandy Shannons “requirements” to play for them coming out of St. Thomas Aquinas.

3. randomfan999 says: Jul 3, 2013 8:13 AM

“offensive coordinator Hue Jackson liked what he saw from the rookie.”

I think you meant “running backs coach” instead of offensive coordinator.

4. packerbackernj says: Jul 3, 2013 8:36 AM

He’s already on my Fantasy Radar.

5. whodey420 says: Jul 3, 2013 8:42 AM

Uh Jay Gruden is the offensive coordinator. Hue Jackson is the RB’s coach. Where does Florio find these writers?

6. wtgriffin says: Jul 3, 2013 8:42 AM

Although this is just noise until it happens in a real NFL game, Bernard was a heck of a receiver out of the backfield at UNC. It would be interesting to see some pro form with both BJGE and Bernard in the backfield.

7. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 3, 2013 2:33 PM

Bernard was outstanding at catching the ball out of the backfield in college but playing WR in the NFL sounds a little strange given his small size.

Bernard was also a heck of a good punt retruner too. I think he will be a big contributor for the Bengals but I have to see this WR thing before I believe it.

8. jimmyjames65 says: Jul 4, 2013 7:03 PM

James Harrison? Really? Marvin must be desperate. I hope the Bengals win the division. Just to watch Joe Flacco go on the road in the playoffs.