Facing sentencing for tax evasion, Zorich has negative net worth

Zorich Getty Images

Former NFL defensive tackle Chris Zorich faces a July 12 sentencing on failing to file tax returns from 2006 through 2009.  Regardless of his jail time, Zorich has significant financial issues.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Zorich’s lawyer says the player’s obligation to repay $348,447 to his charity and $90,000 in back taxes and penalties exceeds his current net worth of $302,273.

“Chris Zorich’s true financial condition is that he faces heavy financial obligations, and he will be struggling to meet them for some time,” attorney Matt Lydon told a federal court in Illinois.

Zorich faces up to 16 months in prison, but there’s a chance he’ll get probation.

He already has paid more than $58,000 in back taxes.  Payments to the charity were suspended in April once Zorich’s cash flow went negative.

Zorich, 44, was a second-round draft pick of the Bears in 1991.  He played in Chicago from ’91 through 1996, finishing his career in 1997 with the Redskins.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Facing sentencing for tax evasion, Zorich has negative net worth”
  1. irishking says: Jul 4, 2013 12:36 AM

This breaks my heart because I know that Chris Zorich is a very good and kind person. Growing up he went through a lot of hardships and I know that his ailing mother meant everything to Chris. He does not need more hardships.

2. nedhigginssports says: Jul 4, 2013 12:42 AM

This always baffles me with professional athletes. Is it stupidity or a God complex that enables one to rationalize not paying income taxes on a 6 and sometimes 7 figure income?

3. charliereno says: Jul 4, 2013 1:09 AM

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

4. alonestartexan says: Jul 4, 2013 2:29 AM

1st world problems…

5. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jul 4, 2013 5:56 AM

No Notre Dame fan and not a Bears fan either – but my recollection of Chris Zorich was that he was a gritty heart and soul run-stuffing player with a non-stop motor – plus he seemed to spend a good chunk of his time trying to help other people on his time. There was also a touching story about his relationship with his mother that I recall too. Just really seemed like a good guy.

So here’s pulling for Zorich – I really hope he bounces back strong and comes out of this as well as can be expected and with lots of better days ahead.

6. barrywhererufrom says: Jul 4, 2013 6:19 AM

How does this happen..and if you and I don’t pay our taxes I don’t think the govt is giving us probation..

7. melikefootball says: Jul 4, 2013 6:54 AM

And the point is, we should feel sorry for these men. Last I heard we all have to pay our taxes and we all did not throw away the amount of money these players make. Sounds like Chris also stole money from a charities. Most of us would be in jail for that.

8. fryeways says: Jul 4, 2013 7:06 AM

Don’t remember Zorich, but this is very sad and humiliating. Why would you post a story like this?

9. tfbuckfutter says: Jul 4, 2013 8:17 AM

I actually have this guys Kenner Starting Lineup, still in the package, in my attic.

Funny that my action figure is more valuable than the person it is a representation of.

10. oldbyrd says: Jul 4, 2013 8:58 AM

How do these guys make a decision to not pay taxes.?

11. 1historian says: Jul 4, 2013 9:19 AM

Fryeways – answer to your question – look who wrote it

12. steelerfan9598 says: Jul 4, 2013 9:30 AM

Pay up!

13. aldavisisthenfl says: Jul 4, 2013 9:59 AM

I’m assuming he stole money from his charity?

Wow….great guy…

14. hatesycophants says: Jul 4, 2013 10:31 AM

How come Zorich gets a pass from some of you and other players (who didn’t steal from a charity) get shredded? Wait, I got it. Never mind.

15. irishking says: Jul 4, 2013 11:03 AM

Chris has not been charged with theft of any monies, from a charity or otherwise.

16. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 4, 2013 2:31 PM

Irritated debtors calling Zorich a “big fat 0″ were actually exagerrating his worth.