Reshad Jones: I want to be one of NFL’s premier safeties

Reshad Jones AP

The Dolphins haven’t started contract talks with safety Reshad Jones after his brief absence from the team’s offseason workouts ended with a promise that the impending free agent’s deal would be discussed.

If that should remain the case into the regular season, Jones has a plan to force the Dolphins’ hand. Jones, who defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle thinks will be a “very, very good player” for many years, wants to build on a strong 2012 season and put himself onto the highest level of safeties in the entire league.

“I can only get better,” Jones said, via the team’s website. “I got the ball rolling in the right direction and I just told myself I want to be recognized as one of the premiere safeties in this league. I think last year I went out and showed that to the world and I just want to keep it going.”

The appeal of the security provided by a long-term contract is obvious, although there’s no doubt that Jones would stand to make a bigger financial splash if he can put together another season like the one he turned in for Miami in 2012. The flip side for the Dolphins is locking in Jones now means weighing the risk that he doesn’t build on last season with the risk that he winds up raising his price on the field.

That would be a good thing for the defense, if not their bottom line, and it makes the negotiations an interesting storyline to watch as the Dolphins head toward camp.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Reshad Jones: I want to be one of NFL’s premier safeties”
  1. finscanes says: Jul 5, 2013 9:10 AM

Jones was disrespectfully snubbed by probowl voters. Laron Landry made it? Really?!…and I like Eric Berry but he didn’t match what Jones did. The Probowl is a joke nowadays.

2. thesteelers says: Jul 5, 2013 9:17 AM

LOL!

3. mrpresident50 says: Jul 5, 2013 9:24 AM

Reshad Jones will be a top 3 safety in the NFL next year. Book it.

4. jiveturkeygobbler says: Jul 5, 2013 9:44 AM

Good luck to ya kido!

5. triplehops says: Jul 5, 2013 9:46 AM

6. lionsdraftguy says: Jul 5, 2013 10:21 AM

Im sure Asomugha will be a Pro Bowler now that hes with the FortyWhiners. Not that he’ll earn it, just that their dirty fan base will vote a million times to get him in.

7. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jul 5, 2013 10:27 AM

I loved her in Parks and Recreation and The Office.

8. tedmurph says: Jul 5, 2013 10:30 AM

Devin McCourty will be the best safety in the AFC this yr. Watch what happens. (only nitwits say ‘book it’)

9. hehateme2 says: Jul 5, 2013 10:32 AM

Good young player with lots of upside. He needs to prove it over a long period of time however. 1 year doesn’t add up to much.

I’m excited to see Grimes in action. The Fins are much improved over last season.

10. jiveturkeygobbler says: Jul 5, 2013 10:32 AM

@ lionsdraftguy. Your team has more dirty players than all other NFL team fan bases combined. Oh, and quit whining about the Miners, it’s about time you get over the fact we smoked your Lions a few times.

11. smackingfools says: Jul 5, 2013 10:33 AM

Definitely one of the best in the league.

12. liltifer says: Jul 5, 2013 10:55 AM

“Dolphins are gonna have to pay out the nose next year. Paul Soliai all over again…”

Paul Soliai signed for 2-years, $12 million. I’d argue that’s below market value.

13. stung4ever1983 says: Jul 5, 2013 11:08 AM

And I want to have a threesome with Scarlett Johansson and Kate Upton.

14. lionsdraftguy says: Jul 5, 2013 11:10 AM

@jiveturkeygobbler

Since you’re so smart, name the Lions “dirty” players. Im sure you’ll say Suh….but who else? Tell me.

Funny how NO ONE except 49ers fans like the 49ers.

15. calidolfan says: Jul 5, 2013 11:15 AM

Jones is a Stud !! I hope he can continue to grow and stays with the fish! I’m excited to see Marshall back from injury too.

16. stevincinci says: Jul 5, 2013 11:21 AM

And in other news, we all want to be one of the best at what we do.

17. jiveturkeygobbler says: Jul 5, 2013 11:30 AM

@Lionsdraftguy. It’s funny how EVERYONE wanted to see the Lions succeed, until they showed everyone their true colors, now they’re back to irrelevancy. If Harbaugh coached the Lions they’d be SB contenders.

18. tedmurph says: Jul 5, 2013 11:30 AM

The Dolphins were 26th in the NFL in pts allowed and 27th against the pass, while going 7-9 in one of the worst divisions in FB. Get over yourselves dreamers.

19. cliffordc05 says: Jul 5, 2013 11:32 AM

Miami should sign this guy now if they have identified him as a long term part of their rebuilding process. Similar to San Francisco and Seattle, Miami would be smart to sign players a year before their contract expires.

20. jbaxt says: Jul 5, 2013 11:42 AM

Just once I’d like to read; “So and so wants to be one of the worst at so and so’s position”, that would at least be original. Add this write up to the no sh1t Sherlock file.

21. tellthetruth1313 says: Jul 5, 2013 11:58 AM

SUPER BOWL L … DOLPHINS 33 – SEAHAWKS 17. BOOK THAT SUCKERS!!!

22. hercstar says: Jul 5, 2013 12:03 PM

tedmurph says:
    Jul 5, 2013 11:30 AM

My favorite comment possibly ever on this site. MIA gave up 317 pts for an ave. of 19.8 per game, good for 7th in the league…..or 26th IF YOU CANT READ A STAT PAGE. And while we are at it, since you like to use team defensive stats to determine an individual DB’s performance, your Pats were worse in every category you mentioned…plus a few more…but McCourty is the man! You, sir, need to go back to school. Embarrassing.

23. FinFan68 says: Jul 5, 2013 12:08 PM

@tedmurph, your numbers are wrong. Please research and try again. The Dolphins defense was one of the best at not giving up points even though the offense put them in bad situations many times

24. curfster33 says: Jul 5, 2013 12:17 PM

I don’t know why everyone hates when an article like this is posted. Well i do people like to naturally complain. Yes we all want to be the best at what we do, but they don’t all come out and make public statements that the have expectations of doing so. This shows his confidence coming off of a strong season in which he improved each game. He will rise to the challenge, as he did in every single division game. He snapped bradys passes without an interception streak, he had two picks and two fumble recoveries as well as one forced in the final two games. One game he had 14 tackles 11 solo against buffalo. For those that read into madden ratings he went from a 73 to an 86 this past year. He is on a sharp learning curve and has only gotten better. Last year was his first year playing strong safety and only his second season getting any significant playing time. Im excited to watch him wreck havoc this year over the top of brent grimes coverage. His instincts are what sets him apart and that’s uncoachable. Instincts like ed reed and polamolu have. Obviously he is still young and doesnt have their experience and as mentioned has only displayed it and been recognized for one year, but i have no doubt he will continue to shine.

25. hehateme2 says: Jul 5, 2013 12:45 PM

hercstar says: Jul 5, 2013 12:03 PM

I think your comment sir is possibly the best of the two. Of course, I don’t give much credit to the patzs trolls…. they’re getting nervous.

26. tedmurph says: Jul 5, 2013 1:26 PM

Yes, slappy, very good. I read the stats wrong, my bad. McCourty will still be better and so will the Pats. See y’all 10/27, when all your preseason dreams will be broken again.

27. raiderinvader says: Jul 5, 2013 3:04 PM

tyvon branch will go to the pro bowl as a safety under the guidance of Charles woodson.you can BOOK THAT !

28. hehateme2 says: Jul 5, 2013 4:07 PM

tedmurph says: Jul 5, 2013 1:26 PM

Yes, slappy, very good. I read the stats wrong, my bad. McCourty will still be better and so will the Pats. See y’all 10/27, when all your preseason dreams will be broken again?

Last I checked the Dolphins still OWN the head-to- head record against the patz. And this is even taking into account the last lost decade, so to speak.
    So, the cycle is about ready to resume back to where it belongs. Remember ***

29. hehateme2 says: Jul 5, 2013 4:08 PM

Who is McCourty? Never heard of him.

30. jrcoop says: Jul 5, 2013 9:06 PM

liltifer says: Jul 5, 2013 10:55 AM

————————————————–
    You are correct. He signed a “team friendly” deal because he wanted to stay in Miami.

31. jrcoop says: Jul 5, 2013 9:09 PM

tedmurph says: Jul 5, 2013 11:30 AM

————————————————-
    Like most NFL fans, we hope this is the year Pats fans get over themselves.

32. tedmurph says: Jul 5, 2013 10:08 PM

Yeah hateme, you’ll hear all about McCourty instead of some 5th rnd draft pick nobody. By the way, the Pats are 17-7 against the fins in the BB/Brady era. Spin it any way you want, the Pats own the fins, including the last 6-0, to the tune of 195-85. I almost went down last yr, but didn’t bother cause I knew it would be a blowout. My friends told me there were more Pats fans than Dolphins fans. Joke of a franchise. Squish the fish

33. dolphincritic says: Jul 6, 2013 10:49 AM

Poor Rashad! The guy is a multi-millionaire and the best DB on the Dolphin roster! That is just a horrible situation to be in!

Let’s stop for a brief moment of reality! Rashad is surrounded by guys that are either bottom feeders or have been severely hurt, causing them to be let go during the off season by their previous teams. My guess is that the Dolphins will be sorry they let their star CB go and will overpay Jones at the end of this year. If all goes well, our secondary will be getting rid of the bottom third DB’s on the roster to make way for better players. If all goes poorly, there will be a purge, leaving Jones alone. Either way there will be plenty of cash to go around!

34. betterandbetterthan says: Aug 6, 2013 7:51 AM

A day later he signs. Great intel you had there.