Fans line up to trade in Hernandez jerseys

PROSHOP

It’ roughly two hours in to the two-day Hernandez jersey exchange, and plenty of fans have shown up at Gillette Stadium to swap out the accused killer’s uniform top for a new jersey bearing a different name and number.

The folks at NESN.com have compiled various tweets illustrating the length of the lines at the Patriots ProShop.  Austin Tedesco, an intern at Boston.com and the sports editor at the Boston College newspaper, has posted photos and a Vine video on Twitter.

Per Tedesco, the most popular jersey that fans are getting in return for their Hernandez gear is Vince Wilfork.  And Tedesco says he overheard this gem from one of the customers:  “If Wilfork gets arrested for murder now I’m going to kill that MFer.”

The selection is fairly limited; for the high-end “authentic” jerseys, the options are only Wilfork, Tom Brady, and Rob Gronkowski.

Tim Tebow isn’t among the various options for the four types of jerseys:  replica, authentic, replica women’s, and youth.

The exchange continues until 9:00 p.m. tonight, and from 10:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. on Sunday.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Aaron Hernandez case, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Fans line up to trade in Hernandez jerseys”
  1. recyclecode6 says: Jul 6, 2013 11:51 AM

Maybe Meyer will have something to say about not offering Tebow’s jerseys…

2. mattwalshvideo says: Jul 6, 2013 11:55 AM

Can I get an Alfonso Denard? He’s due to kill someone any day now.

Stay Classy NE

3. sschmiggles says: Jul 6, 2013 11:55 AM

Wilfork is a nice choice. Got that one for Christmas after I asked for either Wilfork or Welker. Got lucky on that one!

4. sundaysundaysunday says: Jul 6, 2013 11:58 AM

Wonder how many people tried to bring bootleg China jerseys?

5. selldannysell says: Jul 6, 2013 12:00 PM

Another good reason why to only buy jerseys of former/old school players.

6. FoozieGrooler says: Jul 6, 2013 12:02 PM

Second story about this topic in just 24 hours.

I can hardly wait for the followup where you give us the stats on what jerseys they were traded for…

7. ozymandias121 says: Jul 6, 2013 12:04 PM

What’s worse? Wearing another team’s hat or murders and a DUI? Florio says the hat is.

8. thesteelers says: Jul 6, 2013 12:07 PM

Patriots are classless. Spy rings and assassinations galore. PR fronts cannot mask it, or maybe they can.

9. razzmatazzcomics says: Jul 6, 2013 12:23 PM

I wonder if these trade-ins are being destroyed, or if they will end up on ebay. Somebody could be looking at a big score.

10. ghostofgilchrist says: Jul 6, 2013 12:27 PM

Wonder if I could sneak in a Keith Hernandez jersey…

11. gooch80 says: Jul 6, 2013 12:28 PM

I guess if you could have picked up one of the Hernandez jerseys cheap on eBay before the massive run on them and subsequent announcement of trade in, you could have had an authentic jersey pretty cheap.

12. kd75 says: Jul 6, 2013 12:28 PM

I’d want an official Steve Grogan jersey complete with that neck brace ye used to wear.

13. jetslakersfan says: Jul 6, 2013 12:29 PM

I think this shows the Pats have no class. Your already telling people u think Aaron is guilty. We are suppose to live in a place where your innocent until proven guilty.

14. bjsdad says: Jul 6, 2013 12:35 PM

The patriots are only doing this to get the
    most Hernandez jerseys they can, then they
    are going to put them on Ebay …

15. lionsdraftguy says: Jul 6, 2013 12:36 PM

I heard there were several people who are trying to trade in their Kaepernick jerseys.

Heres a question, why on earth would you waste your money on a Kaepernick jersey in the first place?

16. allhailkingflacco says: Jul 6, 2013 12:46 PM

Trading in for a Tebow jersey isn’t an option ? Hmmm, I wonder why.

Anything to do with money maybe ?

I understand it from a business perspective but let’s not gloss this whole thing over as something the Pats are doing as being the “right” thing to do.

Money Grab !!!

17. allen227 says: Jul 6, 2013 12:51 PM

Wow. People need to get a life. A lot of class from a classless organization. Remember spy gate. Everybody is innocent until proven guilty.

18. calibear831 says: Jul 6, 2013 12:52 PM

They’re probably planning on cutting tebow, maybe that’s the reason behind why they’re not offering his jersey as a trade option

19. kozmo48 says: Jul 6, 2013 1:13 PM

I will never wear another mans name on my back. Only a matter of time Hernandez will have another mans seed on his.

20. jdh1016j says: Jul 6, 2013 1:15 PM

Is Urban Meyer in line with his Hernandez jersey or did he take one of his players out of class to stand in line for him?

21. Iknoweverything says: Jul 6, 2013 1:17 PM

The Patriots have ZERO class, and it begins with the owner.
    Shameful.
    Embarrassing.
    Pathetic.
    And their fans that continue to deny and make excuses for everything scummy about that team just explains how they were raised

22. louderthanwords1 says: Jul 6, 2013 1:20 PM

Wow there are a lot of stupid people on here calling this classless. I can’t stand the Patriots but in no way is this classless. The organization has already cut ties with Hernandez and whether he is innocent or guilty there is now a stigma about Hernandez so the Patriots rather than leave their fans with a jersey of an ex patriot accused of murder their offering them a chance to trade in their jersey for a current player. Thats not classless that’s win-win. The fans get a relevant jersey they can wear in public and the Patriots have their fans still wearing jerseys in support of the team.

23. dfalcon3522 says: Jul 6, 2013 1:21 PM

this was a classy thing for the pats to do. I only wish the Falcons would have thought of this when the Mike Vick thing happened. To this day I still have 2 worthless number 7 jerseys hanging around in my closet. I was able to sell my autographed vick jersey on ebay when he signed with Philly so that took some of the sting out of that situation. I personally met Vick during his rookie season and got his signature on the classic black jersey before the team changed the logo and got $300 for it! before anyone says a single word, yes I am aware it is not the same situation…… Murdered dogs and accused of killing a human or 3 but as that whole thing unfolded 6 years ago to the biggest star this city had seen in decades, it was huge. As I watch this AH thing unfold it feels much like what we went thru here in Atlanta. Lucky for the pats that it wasn’t your starting qb! Lucky for Atlanta that we won that coin toss with KC in the 2008 draft and Matt Ryan was sitting there for our pick. Then again whos to say that KC would have even taken Ryan, I remember they were high on Glen Dorsey and may have taken him with the 3rd pick anyway. Either way I recall how it felt like I personally had been betrayed and was worried that the vick thing was gonna set back this franchise 10 years! Funny how things worked out pretty well for this team! Over this last 5 yeats we have been one of the most consistent teams in the league and that bum Vick getting busted turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to the Falcons franchise! yea im still mad at Vick.

24. swagger52 says: Jul 6, 2013 1:26 PM

I suspect that means Wilfork will not be a Patriot in a year or two, just like Gronkowski and Brady who will retire.

Nice move Patriots…offer replacements that have a limited shelf life.

25. mempusa says: Jul 6, 2013 1:27 PM

Whether Hernandez is guilty or not, the Patriots cut him for being involved. He implicated himself by destroying the cell phone and surveillance footage, the keys to the rental in Hernandez’ name being taken from Odin Lloyd’s pockets plus the organization isn’t stupid. They know him extremely well. They witnessed his actions within the locker room. They chose to cut ties with him not because he’s “guilty” of murder but because he was a distraction and involved in some capacity. Either way, he’s not worth keeping on the team. As always, they did “what is best for the football team”.

For anyone to think they are doing any of this for profit or selling them on ebay is a complete and total moron. They’re already the 2nd best merchandising franchise in the NFL. They’re losing money by handing out these jerseys. Tebow is the 3rd string Quarterback. Why would they offer his jerseys? They sell them but Brady, Wilfork and Gronkowski are staples in the organization and sell more jerseys than anyone else on the team. Gronk may be a goofball but he’s a good kid and is well liked within the organization.

26. GenXJay says: Jul 6, 2013 1:52 PM

When the season kicks off, a Tebow jersey will probably be more rare than a Hernandez jersey.

27. harrisonhits2 says: Jul 6, 2013 1:57 PM

Don’t think they make jerseys for a given player until he actually makes the 53 man roster.

Sorry Tebow fans you have to wait a little while longer. Maybe a lot longer since the Pats often carry only 2 QBs and pick up an extra just for training camp.

28. surfinbird1 says: Jul 6, 2013 2:06 PM

49er fans line up to trade in Kaepernick jeserys.

29. CKL says: Jul 6, 2013 2:23 PM

allhailkingflacco says: Jul 6, 2013 12:46 PM

Trading in for a Tebow jersey isn’t an option ? Hmmm, I wonder why.

Anything to do with money maybe ?

Money Grab !!!
    ___________________________________
    If it’s mainly about money, why didn’t the Falcons do it when Vick was convicted? How about the Rams with Leonard Little? Or the Cowboys with Josh Brent(oh wait the last two teams kept the players after their drunk driving murders)?

I’m sure there’s a business component but it isn’t the biggest factor in my opinion.

30. flash1283 says: Jul 6, 2013 2:24 PM

It’s so sad people are so jealous of the Patriots. And it’s always the same handful on every patriots thread with the same lame crap.
    Are your lives that pathetic?

31. firestarter0728 says: Jul 6, 2013 2:33 PM

I’d rather have a Hernandez jersey than a Tebow jersey.

32. dbfan4ever says: Jul 6, 2013 4:50 PM

Not at all a Pats fan but I give Kraft a lot of credit. That is a cool thing that they are doing for the fans. If I were a Pats fan and I had a Hernandez jersey I would have probably thrown it in the trash so it is nice to know that the fans have a much better option. I wonder if anyone will ever wear #81 for the Pats again?

33. natisportsnut says: Jul 6, 2013 7:00 PM

So basically they take all those jerseys back, take the nameplate off, assign #81 to someone good and re-sell them

34. 8man says: Jul 6, 2013 7:21 PM

If its a high priced, embroidered authentic jersey a talented seamstress in any uniform shop can pull off the name plate and/or rearrange the numbers to 1, 8, 18 or keep it at 81. They are very easy to customize.

Great effort by the Patriots. Whatever you think about them, this is unprecedented as is the way Kraft runs his organization.

Just amazing the events Boston has had to overcome this year and how they’ve remained steadfast and acted with decorum. Well done.