Skip to content

Broncos and Clady to resume talks this week

Peyton Manning, Ryan Clady, Andre Carter AP

As we mentioned last week, the talks for a new contract between the Broncos and left tackle Ryan Clady were expected to hit another gear this week.

And that seems to be the case, as Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Broncos will resume talks toward a long-term contract.

The clock’s ticking, as the two sides have until July 15 to reach a deal, or else Clady will have to play out this year on his $9.823 million franchise tag, which creates the risk of him hitting the open market a year from now.

What makes this one complicated is the notion that the target is moving, as free agent deals have been depressed this offseason.

The five-year, $50 million deal which was offered last offseason (and rejected) fell short of the deal the Browns gave Joe Thomas in 2011. But it also exceeded the money Jake Long got from the Rams this offseason.

And it’s reasonable to assume that Clady’s shoulder injury (which he played through last year) will be used to compare him to Long’s situation.

Clady hasn’t missed any time, and that works in his favor. So does the presence of a 37-year-old quarterback who wasn’t the most mobile to begin with.

Permalink 4 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
4 Responses to “Broncos and Clady to resume talks this week”
  1. chargersdiehard says: Jul 7, 2013 12:30 PM

    Freeney is going to get some hits on manning, clady or no clady.

  2. rg3andthensome says: Jul 7, 2013 1:15 PM

    He will be a REDSKIN in 2014….Sorry if that offended anyone.

  3. gloryfromheaven says: Jul 7, 2013 1:36 PM

    Phillips will get some hits on Rivers, LT or no LT

  4. Plumber 65 says: Jul 7, 2013 6:32 PM

    Clady is going to get nice contract and he’s going to be on a team that rules the afc west. Sorry charger fans. The good thing for the bolts is…………….-

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!