Jameel McClain awaiting medical clearance

Jameel McClain, John Harbaugh, Arthur Brown, Nigel Carr AP

Ravens inside linebacker Jameel McClain has rehabbed and worked and waited.

And now, all he’s waiting on is a thumbs-up from the team doctors to complete his comeback from a spinal cord contusion which he suffered last December.

McClain did limited individual drills during the spring, and has no restrictions on his exercise, but still has to be cleared for contact before he can return to the field.

“I’m in shape, I’m working hard, I’m trimming up and getting ready for the season,” McClain told Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “It’s time for gametime. It’s in the doctors’ hands.

“All I can do is prepare myself the best that I can and be in the best of shape like I am. I’ve done everything I can. It’s in the Lord’s hands now.”

He’ll take a physical when he reports to training camp on July 21.

The Ravens could certainly use him, after losing Ray Lewis and Dannell Ellerbe this offseason. They drafted Arthur Brown in the second round and recently signed former Jaguars veteran Daryl Smith.

But after changing many of the parts around him this offseason, the Ravens would like to have a known commodity back, assuming they’re confident in the recovery from a frightening injury.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Jameel McClain awaiting medical clearance”
  1. reed20fence says: Jul 7, 2013 10:00 AM

The Daryl Smith signing is much much bigger than people are giving it credit for. The man is a quiet work horse with proven ability to anchor a defense over long periods of time.

If Jameel is cleared there’s a strong possibility that none of the rookies are required to be full starters from the get go and can get eased into their roles at a comfertable pace, even Elam.

2. vibesid says: Jul 7, 2013 11:46 AM

It is important for Jameel to come back to the Ravens, but thanks to Smith and Brown it is not critical. What must come first is Jameel’s health, and he can’t risk further injury. Hope he gets full clearance.

3. taosravenfan says: Jul 7, 2013 3:28 PM

Health comes first, but he would be a welcome re-addition.

4. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 7, 2013 3:52 PM

Ravens sure missed the boat in not drafting Giovani Bernard. Word is he’s a stud at all 22 positions, he would have fit in nicely to the Waterboy strategy the Ravens will need to employ soon.

5. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 8, 2013 7:24 AM

Hope McClain is cleared to play. I know he wants to get back in there and pound the Steelers’ offense into a fine mush.

6. ravensterpsarmystrong says: Jul 8, 2013 8:37 AM

We’re in great shape overall as defending champions, offensively and defensively. The new personnel will impact special teams, but again our team is ready and it’s time to gel! Nothing like new and fresh blood to get the system stimulated to achieve what others doubt! GO RAVENS!

7. jtbsteeler says: Jul 8, 2013 12:22 PM

Can’t wait for the season. Your luck runs out July 21st Ravens.