Steelers look to Lawrence Timmons to step into larger role

Lawrence Timmons AP

There’s been a lot of discussion this offseason about the need for young players and reserves to carve out big roles on a Steelers defense that’s lost veteran leaders like linebacker James Harrison and defensive tackle Casey Hampton.

Such needs go beyond those groups of players, however. There’s also a need for some of the team’s established starters to move into more prominent spots, with linebacker Lawrence Timmons near the top of that list. Timmons is coming off a strong season — 106 tackles, three interceptions and six sacks — and Ralph N. Paulk of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that “it’s clear” the team is expecting him to fill some of the leadership void on defense this season. It’s a role Timmons is happy to fill with both words and actions.

“I look at myself as a game-changer, and I try to make that a facet of my game,” Timmons said. “I look forward to those opportunities, because I want to live up to those expectations. … I have to assert myself in a certain way. I don’t feel as if I have to force anything. I just have to play my game.”

At 27 with a contract that runs through 2016 and plenty of experience in the Steelers’ way of playing defense, Timmons is positioned to become a cornerstone as the team transitions away from the previous generation of defensive stars. If the team turns up a few more players like him, that transition should be one that continues the tradition of strong defenses in Pittsburgh.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Steelers look to Lawrence Timmons to step into larger role”
  1. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 7, 2013 10:01 AM

We are amazing.

2. daburgher says: Jul 7, 2013 10:03 AM

Timmons is a stud at mlb

3. dagrizzman says: Jul 7, 2013 10:22 AM

I think many Steelers have been asked to step into a larger role this year,including Troy who’s missed more games than he’s played the past 2 years.Time to step up !

4. jaypell says: Jul 7, 2013 10:25 AM

he’s a beast…. I look for him too to have a great year… I’m sure glad they signed him up till 2016… go Steelers

5. bobzilla1001 says: Jul 7, 2013 10:27 AM

Timmons certainly has the potential, which he flashed last season with an interception on the second play of OT that set up Shaun Suisham’s 23-yard FG and a 16-13 win against the worst team in football, the 1-8 Chiefs.
    Sixteen points.
    Against a KC defense that had allowed 256 points through the first nine games of last season.
    That also was the game in which Roethlisberger was injured and left in the first half of a 10-10 tie. Before he exited, he had completed nine of 18 passes for 84 yards.
    The best way for the Steelers to continue their tradition of strong defenses would be for their traditionally low-scoring offenses to score some points, especially early in games against pathetic opponents.

6. ottograham says: Jul 7, 2013 12:20 PM

I do not have a link to source material, but most players on the 2012 roster agree the KC game was the toughest all season. If you have the opportunity to watch that game again I would suggest you do. For some reason KC matched up well against the Steelers and it turned out to be a great defensive performance on both sides. 2012 Steelers were an inconsistent bunch to say the least.

7. randomcommenter says: Jul 7, 2013 12:32 PM

Timmons can start by learning the defense enough that he can make the calls and Larry Foote can ride the bench.

Foote plays ahead of more talented players because he’s the only ILB who can make the calls. That’s why they keep him on the field.

If Timmons could handle those duties then they could replace Foote with a younger playmaker.

Timmons is a good player but not in the league of a guy like Patrick Willis, yet Timmons gets paid like Willis.

8. t8ertot says: Jul 7, 2013 1:02 PM

The Steelers best days are behind them. Their defense will be nothing when Lebeau leaves

9. realdealsteel says: Jul 7, 2013 1:14 PM

Timmons DOES have to take the next step. And that is learn the defense inside out and be able to call the defensive plays.

He and Troy should be handling that defense. But with all that said, the defense was the # 1 ranked defense in the NFL last season.

No worries.

10. aldavis4president says: Jul 7, 2013 2:12 PM

If troy is healthy, the D will b just fine. As far as the offence goes, you guys willcontinue to struggle because of how much you guys overrate big Ben. And no mike Wallace. 7-9 for the Steelers.

11. ravensenvysteelers says: Jul 7, 2013 3:42 PM

Should have been a pro bowler in 2012

12. nickster31 says: Jul 7, 2013 3:47 PM

That KC team also took the Ravens to yhe limit, and had a BUNCH of players go to the Pro Bowl. No game is a gimme in he NFL.

13. jmblosser82 says: Jul 7, 2013 5:12 PM

You have to play the game, the on paper stats mean nothing. Overrate Ben? Hardly, he was cruising with MVP numbers till he got hurt. And no Wallace? He didn’t make much difference last year. He dropped many passes that hit him right in the hands. The defense needs to not give away games like they did early on last year. With the schedule, this team can easily win 10 games. They can lose 10 too if they play like they did last year.

14. tedmurph says: Jul 7, 2013 6:31 PM

Timmons is an outstanding player, but you can’t tell a guy he has to be a leader. Either he is or he isn’t.

15. frankdatank23 says: Jul 7, 2013 6:32 PM

Wow, 100+ with 6 sacks and 3 picks? No probowl ? Still and always the best LB core. Now they just need some fans with half a brain to join us here.

16. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 7, 2013 9:45 PM

How many of those 100+ tackles, 6 sacks, and 3 picks were against the eight teams that beat the pants off the Steelers last year? Just curious.

17. mitchitized says: Jul 8, 2013 2:04 PM

Yeah and with your logic Barry Sanders was crap, cause his team never won the big games?

Can’t wait for the season to start, so tired of the desperate Ravens trolls. You guys won, remember, shouldn’t you be out celebrating instead of constantly jumping and hijacking every single Steelers article?

18. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 8, 2013 2:36 PM

Don’t get bent out of shape. I was just asking a question. Since half the Steelers’ games were losses, it’s possible Timmons ran up his stats by “tackling” or “sacking” players who were taking a knee or otherwise trying to run out the clock.

As for Barry Sanders, I don’t recall anyone bragging about his stats. I must have missed that.

19. rockinrodie says: Jul 8, 2013 6:45 PM

A lot of people had Timmons going 2nd or 3rd round in 2007. Admittedly, even I was surprised when Tomlin selected him #1. But he’s a fantastic player who’s only getting better. Including Pouncey, I think he’s Tomlin’s best 1st round selection.

20. antibenapalooza says: Jul 8, 2013 9:07 PM

He will get a lot of play time with Rottenberger throwing the ball to the opposing team players again this year. Wake up, Pittsburgh!

21. black43gold says: Jul 9, 2013 11:51 AM

Yeah you’re probably right… Timmons did most of his damage against guys taking a KNEE and trying to run the clock out. How desparate are you to get pointless comments across?? Only the Buccaneers tackle guys taking a knee, and they’ve got nothing to do with this.

22. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 9, 2013 1:03 PM

jmf, surprised you remember the regular season as fondly as you do, getting smoked by Batch like you did. And it would’ve been twice if MT doesn’t stubbornly keep in an immobile Byron.

23. jtbsteeler says: Jul 9, 2013 1:38 PM

If Leftwich wasn’t so inept, we sweep the Ravens last year. Looking forward to manhadling that Top 20 defense and maypop offense.

24. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 9, 2013 1:55 PM

I think the poster just says comments to antagonize steeler fans as revenge for all the beat downs the Ravens took on a consistent basis. The recent parity of the teams seems to give this child privilege to same what he wants. He posted on another thread about the ranking of players and made himself look like he was in high school.
    When you see his posts just think of a young boy give free access to a keyboard and mom and dad aren’t home.

25. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 9, 2013 3:23 PM

“Not much I can say about your playoffs/SB win, but the Steelers were definitely the better team last year when they matched up.”

In the last two regular seasons, Ravens won 75% of the time. But the Steelers are the “better team”?

“I think the poster just says comments to antagonize steeler fans as revenge for all the beat downs the Ravens took on a consistent basis.”

So, winning only 25% of the time translates into “beat downs the Ravens took on a consistent basis”?

Just so we’re on the same page, it’s Tuesday, right?

26. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 9, 2013 4:16 PM

Joemontanaflacco says:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:23 PM

Just so we’re on the same page, it’s Tuesday, right?

0 0
    Report comment. Oh, I forgot your Raven history only goes back two years…right? You have forgotten so many disappointing loses to the steelers, but hey you were still to young to remember…I forgive you young man. Hey I am retired who cares what day it is! Oh, I get it Tuesday was an attempt at sarcasm….try again skippy.

27. steel2372 says: Jul 11, 2013 9:37 PM

Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 7, 2013 9:45 PM

Not many beat our pants off last year so to speak. Majority of our losses were close games. This defense continues to be a good defense and Timmons is a stud! Steelers nation is the only nation!

28. crownofthenofool says: Jul 12, 2013 2:55 PM

Its sort of sad when this is the most current news story from the team. That would worry me if I was a fan. Before this one for the entire month so far it’s was all about Ben taking a holiday in London.