Skip to content

Extra security planned for Hall of Fame parade this summer

2012 Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Getty Images

The festivities surrounding the induction of new members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame includes a parade through the streets of Canton and that parade will be a little bit different this year.

Canton Police Department Captain Jack Angelo said that there will be a heightened police presence at this year’s parade after several problems last year, including an accidental shooting of a man by a police officer. An officer fell while responding to a call about a fight involving a man with a gun and his firearm went off when he went down. Bullet fragments wound up in the leg of a man named Eric E. Street Jr.

Angelo also said that there were nearly 30 people arrested before the parade even started last year for things like disorderly conduct, rowdiness, fighting and public intoxication. This year’s stepped-up police presence is designed to make the event more enjoyable for the people who are there to enjoy the parade.

“The majority of the people out there are just there to get a seat,” Angelo said, via the Canton Repository. “It’s tradition: they go out there and they enjoy themselves. It’s the groups of people who are just out there overnight to cause problems before the parade even starts. It’s a small percentage, but they take up 90 percent of our time. They roam from one end of Cleveland Avenue to the other and they just have problems wherever they go.”

This year’s parade is on August 3 and will honor inductees Bill Parcells, Warren Sapp, Cris Carter, Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Curley Culp and Dave Robinson.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Extra security planned for Hall of Fame parade this summer”
  1. floratiotime says: Jul 8, 2013 10:23 AM

    Ohio, Texas, and Florida … these States seem to have cornered the market on crazy.

  2. swadehoo says: Jul 8, 2013 10:51 AM

    So they respond by having even more rent-a-cops patrolling the streets to potentially shoot people when they fall down. Makes sense to me.

  3. rc33 says: Jul 8, 2013 11:08 AM

    Is Aaron Hernandez Grand Marshall or something?

  4. ozymandias121 says: Jul 8, 2013 11:25 AM

    Why is the government planning another staged attack to further promote their agenda?

  5. psdaleno says: Jul 8, 2013 11:34 AM

    Running while the safety is off seems a little unsafe anyway.

  6. granadafan says: Jul 8, 2013 11:45 AM

    You have to be a complete loser and moron to go to a parade and get into a fight and/or bring a gun.

  7. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jul 8, 2013 12:40 PM

    The extra security is good because I’m guessing there are a lot of people who would like to take a shot at Cris Carter.

  8. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jul 8, 2013 3:26 PM

    floratiotime says:Jul 8, 2013 10:23 AM

    Ohio, Texas, and Florida … these States seem to have cornered the market on crazy.
    _______

    Have you ever heard of California?

  9. middy8484 says: Jul 8, 2013 7:35 PM

    With Sapp and Carter out there anything can and WILL happen

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!