Report: Broncos up their offer to Clady

Ryan Clady AP

While other franchise-tagged players are sitting around listening to their phone not ring, Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady’s negotiation appears to be moving.

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, the Broncos upped their previous offer to Clady, beyond the five-year $50 million package he turned down a year ago.

While the devil resides in the details of such contracts — and both sides will present the value in the manner which casts them in the best light — the report suggests the new offer would make Clady either the second- or third-highest paid tackle in the league.

If he doesn’t reach a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline, he’d play out this year on his one-year, $9.823 million tender.

Of course, the fact that there’s no report of a deal means Clady’s side is reviewing the proposal, and perhaps trying to figure out a way to get the Broncos to make a sweetened deal even sweeter.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Report: Broncos up their offer to Clady”
  1. broncosnative says: Jul 8, 2013 6:32 PM

I would like to know how much he’s trying to get. It’s clear that denver really want him long term but clady needs to meet in the middle.

2. mauijim805 says: Jul 8, 2013 6:37 PM

we have to sign Clady no matter what the cost…

3. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 8, 2013 7:03 PM

After the paltry 5 year deal for $10MM per year, when his agent received the envelope for this offer he should have said:

“Ok, I’ll hold this envelope with me and open it after you prepare a second envelope that is at least 5% higher than this one. Otherwise I’ll keep it sealed. Call me when you’re ready to talk about your final offer. This isn’t a golf tournament where you have a big lead and you can 3-putt your way to the hole. What’s the best offer?”

And from the Bronco’s side I advise them to tell the agent to shove it and go seek a trade partner unless his demands return back to a sane level. Maybe we can get KC to give us Branden Albert and then some. No more sweeteners.

4. vikingsrulez69 says: Jul 8, 2013 7:20 PM

Or maybe they’re just doing their due diligence…not everything is a conspiracy.

5. sportsfan18 says: Jul 8, 2013 7:29 PM

Time to take the money, especially if it has a good chunk of it guaranteed. He could easily get injured playing this year under the franchise tag and be done with his NFL career.

Gotta know when to fold them.

6. milehigh53 says: Jul 8, 2013 7:37 PM

I think it’s great to have a LT with Clady’s abilities, but I don’t think we should go broke on him. 10 mil is enough and I wouldn’t go past 11 mil per season on him.

7. chi01town says: Jul 8, 2013 7:42 PM

Clady is worth what ever hes asking for so Denver would be smart to atleast give him close to what he wants… if not I hope Emery in Chicago is watching because the Bears whole season will depend on the O-line and so will alot of Jobs

8. gbatap says: Jul 8, 2013 8:25 PM

Clady should have to pay Peyton a 40% commission for making him look like a good tackle again.

9. pandapeep says: Jul 8, 2013 10:32 PM

@gbatap
    I was going to make a fax machine joke, but your comment was so stupid I couldn’t think for a moment.

10. joetoronto says: Jul 9, 2013 3:22 AM

Peyton took all the money, way to go, horse face.