Hernandez offered to take extra drug tests

Hernandez AP

Patriots owner Robert Kraft was willing to admit he had been “duped” by Aaron Hernandez.

And as part of Kraft explaining that himself to the Boston media yesterday, the team was good enough to provide more evidence of the tight end-turned-murder suspect’s duplicity.

The team gave the assembled media a copy of the 2010 letter Hernandez sent to the Patriots (and presumably every other team in the league) about what he referred to as “questions about my alleged use of marijuana.”

That “alleged” use involved failed drug tests at Florida, which coach Urban Meyer will passionately dispute the count of, if not the greater issues involved.

Regarding those failed tests, Hernandez wrote (with what appears to be significant help from the agency whose letterhead it was written on) a convincing plea for why he should be trusted.

“Any information I volunteer to you about my past will be looked at with great skepticism as I am trying to get drafted as high as possible by a NFL team,” the letter states. “As such, I thought that the best way to answer your questions and your concerns was to make a very simple proposition. If you draft me as a member of the New England Patriots, I will willfully submit to a bi-weekly drug test throughout my rookie season (8 drug tests during the 2010 regular season). In addition, I will tie any guaranteed portion of my 2010 compensation to these drug tests and reimburse the team a pro-rata amount for any failed drug test. My agents have explained that a direct forfeiture provision in my contract along these lines would violate the CBA rules. However, I have instructed them to be creative in finding a contract structure that would work or in the worst case scenario, I would donate the pro-rata portion of my guaranteed money to the team’s choice of charities. My point is simple – if I fail a drug test, I do not deserve that portion of the money.

“I realize that this offer is somewhat unorthodox, but it is also the only way I could think of to let you know how serious I am about reaching my potential in the NFL.”

We also don’t know whether the Patriots took him up on the offer.

The letter also closed with a chilling phrase, saying: “I ask you to trust me when I say you have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to me and the use of recreational drugs.”

Little did anyone know at the time that would be the least of their worries.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Aaron Hernandez case, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Hernandez offered to take extra drug tests”
  1. floratiotime says: Jul 9, 2013 8:30 AM

Great. You’re not taking drugs. Now, about those murders … … …

2. skoobyfl says: Jul 9, 2013 8:36 AM

Someone needs to come up with a morality test.

3. daburgher says: Jul 9, 2013 8:36 AM

Are these tests hair folicle, urine or blood? If it is urine I dont even know how ANY of these guys get caught.. so many ways around those tests.. If he offered to submit to hair folicle or blood tests then I may actually believe he wasnt doing any drugs.. If it was urine tests though, I have no confidence he wasnt using

4. leftyman says: Jul 9, 2013 8:37 AM

They should have administered a murder test.

5. ravennole says: Jul 9, 2013 8:40 AM

does anybody believe aaron hernandez knows what “pro-forma” means?

6. whatnojets says: Jul 9, 2013 8:42 AM

I hate to say this, but Hernandez showed a lot of character in writing that statement. A lot more than any other potential NFL player!!

7. whatsitlikehere says: Jul 9, 2013 8:45 AM

Undercoating is a waste of money.

8. tooz72 says: Jul 9, 2013 8:46 AM

extra drug tests? what a stand up guy

9. SilentMajority says: Jul 9, 2013 8:46 AM

That’s all fine and dandy, but did he offer to take additional GSR tests?

10. packerbackernj says: Jul 9, 2013 8:47 AM

“My point is simple – if I fail a drug test, I do not deserve that portion of the money.”

What if you kill someone? Do you still deserve the money you’ve gotten and will continue to get?

11. jimmyt says: Jul 9, 2013 8:47 AM

There should be a complete and extensive investigation of all Patriots players and staff to determine if any of them were involved in any of his gang activities.

12. larryfinfan says: Jul 9, 2013 8:50 AM

Well, the use of drugs hasn’t yet been tied to any of the ongoing issues, but a kid, with a shaky background and trying desperately to be drafted as high as possible (or possibly at all since we aren’t really privy to the full disclosure of info that the pasties and other NFL teams had on the kid going into that draft), but it wouldn’t be uncommon or unexpected that he’d write letters, get down on bended knee or whatever it took to be drafted. It may very well be his best chance to make an impression, true or not. And besides, what has he got to lose at that point ??

Much ado that has nothing to do with this situation…

13. lonespeed says: Jul 9, 2013 8:53 AM

I’m not sure how this is relevant.

Where is the letter from him stating he would forfeit money if he murdered someone?

Isn’t that common practice in today’s NFL?

14. sfm073 says: Jul 9, 2013 8:56 AM

Come on, I think the guy is as guilty as anyone, but he said he wouldn’t fail a drug test and he didn’t. There has already been enough stuff to come out that has made him look like a terrible person, no reason to start making stuff up.

15. bennyb82 says: Jul 9, 2013 8:57 AM

If Hernandez denied writing that letter, I would believe him.

16. wwwmattcom says: Jul 9, 2013 9:00 AM

Nauseating to read how human this guy is yet capable of sociopathic crimes.

17. fatcamper says: Jul 9, 2013 9:01 AM

Objection! Relevance. The issue is murder, not marijuana use.

18. heyguru1969 says: Jul 9, 2013 9:11 AM

“Methinks he doth protest too much” — William Shakespeare

19. Kaz says: Jul 9, 2013 9:12 AM

Well he told the truth. He never gave the Pats issues due to drugs.

20. gdbroker says: Jul 9, 2013 9:17 AM

Anyone who has ever heard Hernandez speak knows there’s no way he wrote a single line of that letter. His agency wrote it when they realized how far he was going to slide, slapped his name on it and sent it out.

21. betterandbetterthan says: Jul 9, 2013 9:18 AM

They see you trolling…they hating.

Entirely irrelevant. Quite frankly, he clearly upheld his end of the bargain in the letter. He has certainly done enough bad to not need to drudge up some nonsense.

22. icantbelievethis2013 says: Jul 9, 2013 9:21 AM

This is why i left the states. How can anyone be considered guilty without ever going to trial? What “if”, although i highly doubt it, he comes back innocent? Only the DA has all the facts on his desk.
    People everywhere are acting as if they not only had a law degree but expert insight into all the facts.
    We always complain about the media. Why not now?
    Having worked in corrections i’ve just seen too many people locked up not only innocent but for way too long for way too small a crime.

23. richndc says: Jul 9, 2013 9:30 AM

If you think Mr. Hernandez wrote that letter, I got a great bridge in Brooklyn I would like to discuss the sale of with you…..

24. abninf says: Jul 9, 2013 9:33 AM

icantbelievethis2013 says:

====================================

You left the states because some people think someone might be guilty of a crime before a trial? What country did you move to where it’s different?

25. whatnojets says: Jul 9, 2013 9:39 AM

richndc says: Jul 9, 2013 9:30 AM

————————————————–

Which Bridge??? We have a “few” in Brooklyn!!

26. staff2cj says: Jul 9, 2013 9:50 AM

blood in; blood out

27. bradygirl12 says: Jul 9, 2013 10:09 AM

I’m not doing drugs,I’m only dealing them.

28. thegonz13 says: Jul 9, 2013 10:33 AM

Obviously, he didn’t offer to take the Psycho Killer Test…

29. patriotenvy says: Jul 9, 2013 10:50 AM

The problems all start in college sports. College sports is where all the evil exists. I don’t know how anyone can give their money to college sports, other than tax dollars, which you have no say.

30. smackingfools says: Jul 9, 2013 11:04 AM

Nfl players smoke weed. They get caught with it too much to not. They just have really good ways to clean themselves overnight.

31. dannythebisforbeast says: Jul 9, 2013 11:20 AM

That’s the lawyer version of the neighborhood junkie who can’t tell you enough how clean they are.

32. fightfan1 says: Jul 9, 2013 11:43 AM

“It’s the kind of overboard offer that someone makes when they know they’re trying to sell you something. It’s the car salesman offering the free underbody treatment at the last minute while the finance guy’s sitting with him, to try to get you to sign the dotted line.”

Are you kidding me? Free underbody treatment is like $1500 max. You compare that to a portion of rookie salary, reputation, hurt of future earnings? What a joke. It was a sign of determination to make it in the NFL. Now, along the way that got screwed up but at that point in time it was a sign of a person wanting to make it… ya know fulfill your dream! Underbody treatment… what a joke!

33. fightfan1 says: Jul 9, 2013 11:48 AM

C’mon people, of course he Hernandez didn’t write that letter, his Agent did. That’s how these things work. How old are you? Now did he give the ok and agree to the letter, of course he did, which is the point. You think you have to actually write these things when you have an Agent working for you?? WOW!

34. granadafan says: Jul 9, 2013 12:05 PM

“fightfan1 says: Jul 9, 2013 11:48 AM
    C’mon people, of course he Hernandez didn’t write that letter, his Agent did. That’s how these things work. How old are you? ”
    ==============================================

How old are YOU? Clearly you can’t recognize the fallacy of this letter (and the boilerplate “statements” issued by PR agents in the name of an athlete/coach). I’ll spell it out for you: It’s INSINCERE and therefore, no one with a clear thinking mind actually believes what he’s saying. Maybe some people are gullible enough to believe this letter or those bland “apology” statements.

Kraft had to come out with a strong statement, even the absurd bit about being “duped” (another lawyer trick). The Patriots don’t want to become involved in any future lawsuits and therefore have had to come across as being “shocked” at Aaron’s behavoir and proclamations of being “duped”. In other words, they’re claiming ignorance and not liable.

35. fightfan1 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:11 PM

——
    So do you think Hernandez would not have lived up to this letter had he failed a drug test? OF course he would have. The letter is there, the letter is signed by him. LOL atU!

36. vietnambob2473 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:17 PM

Just because you dont do drugs, doesnt mean you are a good person…

37. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 9, 2013 12:43 PM

Well that was before he realized that extra drug tests didn’t mean a chance to test new types of drugs.

Oh man, I thought you were offering me a settlement to close out my case and I was going home now and with a gift bag, d’oh!

38. mj1818 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:44 PM

Who did he hire to write that? That’s astounding he was smart enough to write as intellectually as that but dumb enough to commit murder.

39. guiness17 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:12 PM

fatcamper says: Jul 9, 2013 9:01 AM

Objection! Relevance. The issue is murder, not marijuana use.

———————————————————

+1 couldn’t have said it better myself

I won’t understand at all why this is part of the discussion.

40. ewoods6 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:18 PM

I went to Florida with this guy, i’ve heard him speak in a social environment 5ft away from me……anyone who thinks he wrote this letter is as dumb as Hernandez is.

41. novalvr62 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:23 PM

It is really comical how you would believe that Aaron wasn’t capable of writing this letter. So because he’s being accused of murder that just makes it impossible for Aaron to be eloquent and articulate? Did you know he graduated high school a semester early because of his academic achievements? Have we forgotten the Unabomber? Was he not a very intellectual man? C’mon people there are bigger issues at stake here for us to be concentrating on someone’s ability to write a well versed letter. Now I know that he, and he alone has tarnished his reputation, but must we keep scrutinizing every little thing about Aaron’s past? As far as The Pats were concerned, yes the fact that he made a commitment to pass every drug test was a big deal. Up to that point Aaron’s “issues” had never led to an arrest or any type of charges. Of course there was that one incident that just proved that Aaron was violent and up to no good: he punched a bouncer that wouldn’t get out of his face, even after Aaron ASKED Tebow to intervene. A guy at a bar who punches another guy that is continuously taunting him. What. A. Shocker. So based on that Belichik was suppose to have a divine premonition and see that Aaron would be accused of murder after 3 years of playing for The Pats? How is everyone so certain The Pats knew what was going on off the field? Did he not keep himself out of trouble? Please by all means mention one allegation against Aaron in the three seasons he played for The Pats? We are all acting as if leading a double life is something unheard of.

I not defending Aaron. I will however, wait until his trial to see what role he played in the murder. And based on his role I am all for him paying for it. I’m not at this point blaming him for the double homicide in Boston. As of right now, he is being looked at as having a “possible connection” to those murders. Let this man have his day in court. Let him lay out his defense. If he’s found guilty beyond reasonable doubt than he deserves what’s coming. Until then, like the right of every American, he is innocent until proven guilty.

42. icantbelievethis2013 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:27 PM

All i’m saying is: Innocent “until” proven guilty in a court of law! Not the media!!

I know the punishments in europe are pathetic and nowhere near enough but at least people arent hammered before a court makes a decision.

43. icantbelievethis2013 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:33 PM

“Might” is not to be found anywhere when this case is discussed.

44. apkyletexas says: Jul 9, 2013 1:50 PM

@Hernandez – “If you draft me as a member of the New England Patriots, I will willfully submit to a bi-weekly drug test throughout my rookie season (8 drug tests during the 2010 regular season). In addition, I will tie any guaranteed portion of my 2010 compensation to these drug tests and reimburse the team a pro-rata amount for any failed drug test.”

==========================

I would imagine that the family(s) of the deceased(s) are totally (un)impressed by this.

45. EJ says: Jul 9, 2013 2:43 PM

I know everybody is given the right to their respective opinion, but doesn’t the saying go innocent until proven guilty? Nobody has been found guilty of anything yet, so why not wait until he is proven of something before continuing to rip up this kid from head to toe? Besides, until the facts are completely rolled out, isn’t everybody a little tired of hearing about the same thing over and over? Guilty or not, this kind of stuff should be talked about after the trial is finished.

46. steelerben says: Jul 9, 2013 3:35 PM

Everyone knows the only reason he volunteered for extra drug tests is that he likes peeing in front of strange men.