Lewand suspension could be indicator for Russell

Russell

It was obvious from yesterday’s other-than-boilerplate statement that the Broncos were seriously disturbed by the arrest of director of player personnel Matt Russell.

But any punishment from his boss isn’t all Russell has to worry about, as team officials fall under the NFL’s personal conduct policy just as players do.

Russell was arrested over the weekend for DUI after hitting two cars, one of them a marked police car.

As mentioned by the Denver Post in their summation of Russell’s bad weekend, the precedent for his punishment could come from the 2010 arrest of Lions president Tom Lewand.

Lewand was originally suspended 30 days and fined $100,000, but that suspension was shortened to 21 days by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell when Lewand took “all the necessary steps.”

There are obviously steps in Russell’s future.

And while Lewand occupies a higher rung on an organizational ladder than Russell does, it’s clear that the Broncos personnel man is going to have a chance to sit in front of Goodell, as so many players have.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Lewand suspension could be indicator for Russell”
  1. lightcleric says: Jul 9, 2013 9:40 AM

He should change his last name to Lynch, apparently that lets you go YEARS without getting tried for your DUI…

2. zingo1978 says: Jul 9, 2013 9:55 AM

I also don’t think Lewand slammed his vehicle into a cop car. I’ve heard that’s frowned upon.

3. baconispigcandy says: Jul 9, 2013 9:58 AM

This is just the beginning of the great Donkey implosion of 2013.

4. rc33 says: Jul 9, 2013 9:59 AM

Did someone suggest he should be Lynched? Seems excessive…even by Goodell’s standards.

5. purpleguy says: Jul 9, 2013 10:13 AM

I wonder if that cut on his forehead is from the accident, a ticked off cop, or from an irritated John Elway.

6. blacknole08 says: Jul 9, 2013 10:51 AM

———————————————————

This is why no one takes the NFL seriously when it comes to discipline. Quit being soft and stick with the punishment you originally gave him. What’s a 9 day difference gonna make?

Start holding your employees accountable for their actions!

7. joetoronto says: Jul 9, 2013 11:32 AM

He looks like horse face gave him a back kick.

8. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 9, 2013 12:39 PM

What kind of drugs were Lewand on when he approved the Stafford contract? That was a monster mistake and his putting ink to that paper is much more harmful to the franchise than anything he could do off the field. We needed him to step up and shoot down that option and he chose otherwise and to get drunk on Stafford. He’s still high on him despite getting bilked for massive amounts of money. Look at what drugs can do to the mind.

We need more sober strategists in this league. There’s only 32 teams; there shouldn’t be an issue to find fantastic people that can win at football while also avoiding the sauce. But if you can only satisfy one condition at least get somebody who wins at football and can justify a free pass. Lesser football men should be replaced by better football men in any event.

9. apocryphenom says: Jul 9, 2013 1:34 PM

@thestrategyexpert:

You’re an idiot. That contract was dictated by the rookie wage scale on the old CBA. A quarterback taken #1 pre-2011 got PAID. Just look at the Bradford contract.

Lewand is no genius but you can’t hang that one on him.

10. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 9, 2013 1:43 PM

apocryphenom:

Then the correct move is to voice your concern before your GM makes the pick. That’s his responsibility to talk about the ramifications of standing pat and making any selection. He didn’t advise them out of it and this team made a bad decision. If you don’t want to assign him blame then you don’t have to. I don’t care who gets the blame whether it is Mayhew or Lewand, I’m complaining about the franchise’s choice and I’m sticking it to anybody that could have played a role in preventing what I think was a colossal and epic sized mistake.

If you think I’m an idiot and the pick was a great idea, then more power to you. I see it very differently than that. And I think our team managers should be held accountable for what I see as a complete and total failure of a decision.

11. apocryphenom says: Jul 9, 2013 2:05 PM

Who else would you have taken? Look at the draft – you have to go down to #6 to find even a passable option in Andre Smith (Raji and Crabtree are the only other Top 10 picks who have really panned out). If I remember correctly, most of the fans who were against taking Stafford that year wanted Aaron Curry instead. That would have worked out GREAT.

Not sure if you’re a Lions fan but we were coming off 0-16 that year. Stafford has battled some injuries and inconsistency, but he has shown flashes that he can be an elite QB, and is still only 25. I fail to see another pick in that draft that would have put us in a better position than we are now, regardless of any savings (which, again, would have been minor due to our draft position and the rookie wage scale at the time).

12. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 9, 2013 2:32 PM

apocryphenom:

Yes I am a Lions fan, and a very hardcore fan to say the least. I would have traded the pick at all costs. And I would have been willing to make zero picks in the draft if that was the identifiably best option based upon how things would have played out depending on what point in time I am being interjected into the hypothetical past.

But this is not about what I would have done. I’m extremely confident that the collection of my plans over the years would have turned us into a dominant winner. But that is besides the point of the argument that the Lions have failed miserably with THEIR choices. So even if you didn’t agree with me, then I’m not trying to win my presentation over you in a forum comment rebuttal, I’m simply pointing out that the Lions should have new decisions makers. If you agree or don’t agree then you see my point on that issue or you don’t.

And if you agree that they should be replaced, then at that point I’m ready to present to you on why I should be the choice for GM based upon my overall completeness in skill and ability that stems from my evaluation skills, to coaching and scheme philosophies, and tactical strategy issues. I think that I see roads taken that would have put us on a path to dominance instead of continued mediocrity.

13. hendeeze says: Jul 9, 2013 11:35 PM

could be worse, As I remember there was a detroit coach who got arrested for driving drunk while in the nude… Google says his name is Joe Cullen

14. twelsh36446 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:16 AM

Life in prison without parole.

He hit a cop car after all.

Give him a slap on the wrist, and send him home.