Roddy White wades into Kaepernick capgate

RoddyWhite Getty Images

With 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick finally trying to put to rest a slow-news-week controversy that stirred up the fan base and a couple of old-school analysts, Falcons receiver Roddy White has decided to keep things moving a bit.

And to that we say, “Thank you.”

“Kap getting a lot of flack for that hat and I got like 4 Mitchell and ness throwback hoodies of different teams that I wear does that count,” White said on Twitter earlier this morning.

What created the mess for Kaepernick wasn’t wearing the hat but displaying a surprising amount of immaturity and/or tone deafness by reacting defiantly to the initial wave of criticism he received.  Besides, he’s the quarterback of the 49ers and the emerging face of a franchise that has had many great players who would never have worn the colors or logos of any other NFL team.  (At least not while playing for the 49ers.)

We admire White for taking a seat in the front row of the Kaepernick splash zone, but he probably won’t catch much flak.  White is a proven veteran, he hasn’t been photographed in other teams’ colors and logos, and he hasn’t fired back at fans who objected.

Then again, there are still plenty of hours left in the day.  So we’ll basically keep an eye on White’s Twitter page.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
53 Responses to “Roddy White wades into Kaepernick capgate”
  1. daubs17 says: Jul 9, 2013 11:52 AM

This is Roddy White saying, “Hey guys lool at me Im important too! I do the same thing too Im just like Colin….why arent I getting attention too!!” hahahah

2. fdugrad says: Jul 9, 2013 11:52 AM

What exactly are “Mitchell and ness throwback hoodies?”

3. doomsdaydefensetx says: Jul 9, 2013 11:57 AM

4. slugdub says: Jul 9, 2013 12:00 PM

CK is at minute 00:13:30 of his 15

5. timb12 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:02 PM

I’m tired of anything being calling “something-gate”

6. pathsovglory says: Jul 9, 2013 12:06 PM

only a couple more weeks till training camp…

7. sportnorcal says: Jul 9, 2013 12:07 PM

^^ … or “something-Nation.”

8. pashi007 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:08 PM

GO BILLS!!!!

9. CKL says: Jul 9, 2013 12:11 PM

I believe White was one of the Falcons players who wore t shirts (which were against the rules) in support of Vick. This is nothing compared to that.

I hate TO but I remember the flak he took publicly for wearing an Eagles throwback when he was with Dallas (I think that was the situation) and in transit to a game between the teams.

Frankly, I like CK so I was pretty surprised he’d do something like that then act defiantly afterwards. I guess everyone has their moments of immaturity. Wear a Miami baseball or basketbal hat? No big deal…but a football hat? Not cool.

10. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 9, 2013 12:15 PM

All I know is I wish I could say that I was proud of our team having an interesting starting QB that works off of a dirt cheap value contract instead of getting paid ginormous amounts of millions. If I could choose to have Stafford hold up a Miami hat or a suitcase full of tens of millions of dollars, then I’d rather stick him with the cap and keep the money until he produces a reason to deserve getting paid. So I see the issue of Stafford being allowed to collect all the money he has paid thus far as a much more serious QB problem than this hat thing.

As much as it might suck to be a 49er fan right now, imagine if you are a Lion fan complaining about your QB unjustly holding a pair of suitcases jam-packed full of money and we can’t even sniff the playoffs as a result. Now that’s wrong, and that’s horrifying.

San Fran is lucky to have Kaepernick and they would be wise to not find a way to let this blow up in their face. When you partner with somebody in business then you are in bed together and you live with the pros and cons of what that partner contributes. And the 49ers chose this guy to be their QB, they didn’t have to do that. They had an expensive veteran QB and they booted him out of town for this guy. They manage him, they coach him, they connect with him regarding their expectations, and this is the result.

If they don’t like what Kaep does from time to time then that’s on them for not setting the expectations correctly or following up in some manner to be on the same page. I don’t see any evidence of Kaep saying he did this on purpose to make the 49ers mad, in his mind it’s not an issue and he doesn’t know that to be the case if it is. Well if somebody doesn’t know something and you want them to, then go ahead and tell them, but don’t punish them for their ignorance if you weren’t proactive to help remove the ignorance in the first place.

11. blacknole08 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:16 PM

Did Kaep wear a Seahawks cap? No. A rams one? No. Cards? Cowboys or Packers? No.

My point is that players can be fans too. This is the new school NFL. Whats it gonna be next? He cant be friends with a member of a rival team (like Russell Wilson for example)?

Its the off-season people!

12. jda129 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:17 PM

These athletes just don’t get. All they’re seeing is the “cool” side of swag without thinking about the ramifications. I tried to be cool once too. Bought me a pair of “cool” shoes that ended up betraying me by giving me blisters. It’s the dark side of swag they don’t talk about. I’ve seen it and it’s painful and ugly and sometimes requires a bandaid.

13. billb49 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:18 PM

doomsdaydefensetx says:
    “Let me make sure I got this right. Roddy is defending the guy who sent the Falcons home after a NFC Championship game? Oh ok gotcha.”

Yes, that’s right. Do you know why? It may be because other players respect Kaepernick. Didn’t Suggs refer to him as “the truth”? Fans are on their high horses. Fans have no clue. Players know “the truth” when they see it and they respect it.

14. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:31 PM

If I saw Flacco(not that flacco wld ever do such a thing) with another team’s hat or clothing , I would be pissed. Wear what you want but don’t let any fans see it(especially on instagram) because its disrespectful. He is immature anyway, but this just solidified it even more. He comes off as spoiled and arrogant on and off the field. I hope he works on his touch on the football because to me , that’s his biggest achilles heel. I can see him and Bolden having issues. Let’s see how well he does now without a true #1 reciever, defenses catching up to the pistol, and all the lights shining on him for an entire season. Something tells me 49er fans will undoubtedly remember the “cap” on Kap……

15. asimonetti88 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:32 PM

8 Days to Training Camp. Go Niners!

16. jimmyt says: Jul 9, 2013 12:39 PM

It’s not that he wore the cap, it’s his dumb reaction to the fans. If he is too slow to realize there would be fan backlash and then react with such foolish comments to his fans you have to think he’s not the brightest bulb on the tree.

17. jack3dsd says: Jul 9, 2013 12:39 PM

I had to run extra 350s in college for wearing a shirt of a different college to weights I got for free from a recruiting trip..Harbaugh will tear him up

18. seahawks12thman says: Jul 9, 2013 12:42 PM

Roddys opinion doesnt matter, he said the Seahawks were lucky to be in that game playoff game, OBVIOUSLY THE FALCONS GOT LUCKY.

19. ken0west says: Jul 9, 2013 12:43 PM

AFK by anyone under a 100 as balls. Loved his comment.

20. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 9, 2013 12:43 PM

To all the folks saying “Players can be fans too”. How would you feel if you owned a restaurant and a highly visible figure from your company was wearing a T-Shirt advertising a competitor?

21. silotech says: Jul 9, 2013 12:44 PM

good point. CK cudda wore Miami Heat and little or nothing wudda been made of it but he crossed a line when he called out the fans who spend $100′s to $1000′s every year on tickets and team brand. I’m sure the front office has schooled him on how he should deal with criticisms now that he represents the corporation on and off the field as the starting QB.

22. essentialsausage says: Jul 9, 2013 12:48 PM

——————————-

Roddy White–another guy who supposedly went to college.

23. 4ever9er says: Jul 9, 2013 1:03 PM

@bmoreravens1012013 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:31 PM
    ———————————————————-
    1. When have you seen CK acting spoiled or arrogant?
    3. What makes you think that because defenses now have a understanding of the pistol that CK won’t be successful? Defenses caught up with the West Coast Offense that sure prevented Joe Montana, Steve Young, Bret Favre and John Elway from winning SB’s!
    4. He’s had the Bright Lights shining on him before and did quite well!
    5. CK took one week off after the SB and begin to work his butt off for this season, so in the future you may want to get your info straight before you make statement about someone.
    9er Today~9ers Tomorrow~9ers Forever

24. 49erstim says: Jul 9, 2013 1:04 PM

Admittedly this was a bad move by CK. I’m not really happy about it and it isn’t something I would’ve done, however the way its been blown up is terrible and the thought that it wouldn’t get so much media attention unless it was the offseason is laughable.

25. mhunterjr says: Jul 9, 2013 1:04 PM

seems that many fans have forgotten, that these athletes are entertainers. they work for money. they are not slaves to ownership or fans. these are team colors, not country banners. it’s a sport, and no amount of advertising hyperbole should convince any of us that it’s a battlefield. to anyone upset about his clothing choice should grow a pair. it’s just a game. he doesn’t owe you anything.

26. 64post says: Jul 9, 2013 1:05 PM

Hey thestategyexpert, 49ers are lucky to have kaep? Every team passed on him in the first round and half did again in the second, just saying.

27. nomoreseasontix says: Jul 9, 2013 1:08 PM

The most surprising thing is the fact that semi-literate people can’t seem to stay away from Twitter.
    And…
    They’re college graduates. Sort of…

28. ozymandias121 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:08 PM

Everyone who thinks this is a seriously issue needs to get rid of all their clothes that aren’t the primary colors of their favorite teams. Other you are just as “immature” as Kaepernick supposedly is.

29. rdrdrs58 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:10 PM

who cares… its a hat. all these people that are all geeked up over this will forget all about it when he has his first run of over 50 yards…

30. kev86 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:10 PM

Cruuuuuuuuuuuz

31. breadslicer says: Jul 9, 2013 1:12 PM

It was the ‘pants on the ground’ that would have bothered me more than another team’s cap.

32. 23chameleons says: Jul 9, 2013 1:14 PM

Much ado about nothing. Kaepernick is right, there is nothing to this story except to put SOMETHING out there in what should be the quietest period of the NFL’s year. At least it beats another player offing someone and/or getting arrested.

33. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 9, 2013 1:17 PM

64post:

Yeah but I had posts saying he should have been considered for the back part of the Top 10. I had a higher grade and more aggressive evaluation position on him than any of the experts did, or any of the NFL teams for that matter. I identified him as a guy that I liked a lot and I think I would have managed him better than the team that ended up with him anyhow.

I think you need to be very careful and tactful with how you program his mind to help him develop over time and this was my guy that I felt attracted to and I had expectations of him being cultivated in such a way that would help him grow to something special. And I think indications have shown some suspect behavior on the 49ers’ part with respect to how they handle and manage their QB department.

I just have concerns about the way they do things and hope that they do a good job with fostering Kaep’s development. Now that they have less QB distractions hopefully they will fine tune their focus and make the best out of him.

34. weekendatberniemadoffs says: Jul 9, 2013 1:18 PM

Matt Ryan was photographed cheesing unabashedly holding up a signed Luke Kuechly jersey. Personally, I don’t see a problem with either, but I can see where some who get off by stirring the pot would. Those are the folks whose opinions really don’t matter, because at the end of the day it comes down to the product on the field and the numbers in the wins and loss columns. Jaws, who if I remember correctly was the most outspoken, is scrambling to be a relevant reporter. Both Jaws and Bayless skew the absolute truth, at least that of the public opinion, and should never be taken seriously. If you believe Kaepernick’s allegiance towards his team has lessened, I’d be you are wrong. BTW, I have no dog in the fight.

35. SAV says: Jul 9, 2013 1:20 PM

Its like McDonald’s employees rocking the Burger King crown or Verizon employees running around with iPhone’s back when AT&T had it exclusively. It is awkward but at the end of the day loyalty has its limits…..when you have minimal integrity that is.

36. rickywatts80 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:30 PM

He’s got a Scott Mitchell throwback?

37. tacowrecker says: Jul 9, 2013 1:37 PM

Roddy White is just being a D-bag.

38. lionsdraftguy says: Jul 9, 2013 1:53 PM

Well, Roddy is actually good though, so he can do what he wants.

39. walkinginthewasteland says: Jul 9, 2013 2:05 PM

Sorry Rodney, but it doesnt. We are only concerned with teams that are able to make it to the Superbowl. You know, teams that matter.

40. walkinginthewasteland says: Jul 9, 2013 2:08 PM

billb49 says: Jul 9, 2013 12:18 PM

_____________

And I have no doubt they considered A Hernandez or Ray “what evidence?” Lewis the truth either.

41. walkinginthewasteland says: Jul 9, 2013 2:12 PM

ozymandias121 says: Jul 9, 2013 1:08 PM

_______

All anyone has to do is gaze upon your verse and despair at the utter illogic of it.

42. winkeroni says: Jul 9, 2013 2:19 PM

Maybe we expect too much from Colin Kaepernick. Rodney White, on the other hand, reminds us every time of just how smart he is when he opens his mouth. White can say pretty much anything he wants without any repercussion because he’s proven himself not to be one of the more well spoken football players. Whether or not it’s fair, we have set higher standards for Kaepernick. He set pretty high standards for himself, handling Superbowl week well as well as not coming off as being stupid. If people think you are smart, they’ll criticize you when you do something stupid. If people think you are stupid, they expect you to act stupid.

43. Raider-in-PA says: Jul 9, 2013 2:21 PM

Sure, call it freedom of expression or whatever..

But remember this Kappy: ‘Dont poop where you eat, my friend’…

Next time the 9ers play the fins, just for one play, the O-line should let all the rushers through untouched, just to prove a point

44. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 9, 2013 2:30 PM

Capernick the Camel.

45. mogite says: Jul 9, 2013 2:40 PM

pathsovglory says: Jul 9, 2013 12:06 PM

only a couple more weeks till training camp…

Thank God!

46. paythevig says: Jul 9, 2013 2:50 PM

it’s NOT like a McDonalds employee wearing a BK hat, Pepsi/Coke, Apple/Samsung, Gatorade/Powerade…

All 32 Teams are a part of 1 Corporate Banner, being the NFL.

So – it’s more like Coke and Sprite, operating under the Coca-Cola Corperation.

Secondly – he was wearing the hat on his own time, in the off-season.. not on the field, an NFL sponsored event, or at the team’s facility – so all of those remarks about you hypothetically wearing a rival company’s merchandise at your work does not apply to your arguements.

Third: It’s a hat representing an industry that warrents such apparel. Wearing a Team’s hat, in whatever sport, is different than wearing a McDonald’s hat, or an IBM hat etc… I’d say that the majority of company hats are worn by those with some tangible relationship to that company. whereas a Hat representing a team is worn by many people who either support the team, like the city or in this case – like it as the accessory that it’s inteded to be. Not everyone is so gung ho to question team loyalty based on a simple hat.

All accounts are that Kaep has immursed himself with the team and playbook ever since losing in the super bowl.

4. He wasn’t arrested, didn’t beat/rape some one, isn’t a murder suspect and wasn’t carrying a concealed weapon… “Capgate?”… wow, what a horrible human being.

47. fightfan1 says: Jul 9, 2013 3:09 PM

Capgate.. Really? Lame!

48. SeenThisB4 says: Jul 9, 2013 3:14 PM

There are some sand sculptures on the beach today that possess more intelligence than Roddy White will ever have.

49. niners165xsbchamps says: Jul 9, 2013 3:58 PM

Lionsdraftguy, worry about your own team. Stop trolling every Niner article, unless you’re secretly a fan of the team.

50. allidoiswin55 says: Jul 9, 2013 7:03 PM

Everyone STOPPPPPP with the matching colors argument, that’s weak, ill informed and incorrect as an excuse. Maybe I’m just youthful enough to know this one simple fact.

THEY MAKE EVERY TEAM IN EVERY COLOR COMBINATION, even outside of the teams actual colors, he could have wore a Niners hat in Miami colors. Have u ever been to lids? Fitted? Capz, or any other team store especially in the bay… He can find any color combo. He was just to stupid to realize the implications. And his response, starts to make people wonder if he’s not the ” nice/humble ”guy he wants to portray.

He refuses to acknowledge his maternal mother, he kisses his biceps to celebrate, he says some arrogant comment about how hard he works, people who work hard DONT TALK ABOUT IT.

I played high level football, and I have pipes bigger than 22′s when I scored a TD, I’d flex, was I just showing that I’m physically fit, NOOO I WAS trying to say I’m a beast. This kaepernicking is exactly that, anyone claiming it’s for biblical reasons is down right retarded. And his blatant disregard for people’s common sense is astonishing, you can’t just say whatever you want and people believe it. He kisses his own body and trademarked it.!!

Next time buy a freaking niners hat that are the colors of your outfit they definitely make them and don’t make excuses after.

51. jimmyjames65 says: Jul 9, 2013 7:56 PM

I’m tired of anything being calling “something-gate” _____________ You’re right. It’s not like capgate is going to help him win a SB like Brees and Brady. He won’t be winning a SB anyway.

52. jimmyjames65 says: Jul 9, 2013 8:02 PM

1. When have you seen CK acting spoiled or arrogant? Isn’t that what this is about? 2. CK completed 62.4% of his passes to Flacco’s 59.7%, so if he didn’t have problems with Flacco he won’t with CK! He couldn’t get the ball to Crabtree on three straight downs. And I don’t see him throwing to Boldin like Joe did in the playoffs. I seriously doubt it.

53. jimmyjames65 says: Jul 9, 2013 8:05 PM

Didn’t Suggs refer to him as “the truth”? Suggs likes to toy with QB’s. Like a cat playing with a mouse. And what Suggs meant is Kaepernick is better than Brady or Manning.