Dolphins defenders like what they’re seeing from Ryan Tannehill

Buffalo Bills v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

One cool recent NFL trend: team-run conference calls where fans interact with coaches, players and other club personnel.

The Dolphins held a call with fans on Wednesday, and multiple Miami defensive players had praise for what they have seen from second-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill, Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post reported Wednesday.

According to the Post, new Dolphins linebacker Dannell Ellerbe told fans that he’s “seen a lot of good decisions” from Tannehill, the Post said. And defensive back Jimmy Wilson, who’s entering his third season with Miami, believes Tannehill has raised his game this offseason.

“Seeing Tannehill as a rookie and seeing him now, I think he’s increased his skill level leaps and bounds,” Wilson said, according to the Post. “I think he’s more comfortable with the game. He’s bigger, faster, stronger and everybody knows he has a NFL arm.”

The Dolphins spent big money to revamp their pass catching corps in the offseason, signing receivers Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson and tight end Dustin Keller. However, that will be money well-spent only if Tannehill consistently puts those receivers in a position to make plays. Wilson and Ellerbe’s observations on Tannehill are the type of comments a team should like to hear about a young quarterback trying to build on a promising rookie season.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Dolphins defenders like what they’re seeing from Ryan Tannehill”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 10, 2013 11:08 PM

As a matter of fact, defenders all around the league like what they’re seeing from Tannehill.

2. doe22us says: Jul 10, 2013 11:13 PM

Every off season we have a team mouthing off. This year belongs to the Dolphins, cant wait for the season to start and for everything to revert back to the mean.

3. stickershocker says: Jul 10, 2013 11:16 PM

Is there anyone left on the planet who doesn’t know the Miami Dolphins have spent tons of money on free agent WRs? It is mentioned in nearly every Dolphins article for the last 4 mos. We KNOW already.

4. mikeb1354 says: Jul 10, 2013 11:16 PM

Finally, a mike on this site who doesn’t write a dolphins story with a slight thrown in.

5. bowden5000 says: Jul 10, 2013 11:20 PM

Love all the moves on O and the D will be tough… Tannehill has the tools to rise… Sign Leach and let’s go to work!

6. Jorge Lancerio says: Jul 11, 2013 12:04 AM

I can’t believe how good this guy is turning out to be. I remember everybody scoffing at the idea that he should even be taken in the first round. Now he has the talent, the coaching, and the ability to be everything the Dolphins could have hoped for.

7. igotgamenj says: Jul 11, 2013 12:39 AM

Tannehill will run the AFC East for the next 10 years

8. beachsidejames says: Jul 11, 2013 12:46 AM

No team talked about drafting Tannehill in any round with as little qb experience as he had. Dolphins did and took a huge risk picking him 1st rd. Might just pay off.

9. jiggy3198 says: Jul 11, 2013 12:52 AM

So will all other defenders the Dolphins face this year

10. thefox61 says: Jul 11, 2013 12:58 AM

Was he wearing a 49ers hat?

11. lbmclean says: Jul 11, 2013 1:15 AM

I am a Phins fan and it is totally laughable to judge a guy until the real games start.

he has alot going for him(LT not withstanding) so I wouldn’t bet against him but these reports are getting old. NFL QB is by far the hardest thing to do in sports. S^%t, I would draft 2 QB’s every year cuz picking them isn’t a science

12. briscocountyjr says: Jul 11, 2013 1:24 AM

Now I don’t buy into a lot of the offseason hype that comes with this time of year…but I did like what I saw from his decisions vs his inexperience last yr, and if he has taken time to invest in the nuances, plus the new weapons, we could have a competitive team here.

13. twyger says: Jul 11, 2013 2:37 AM

“He’s bigger, faster, stronger and everybody (except Steelers fans) knows he has a NFL arm.”

14. mrpresident50 says: Jul 11, 2013 4:04 AM

Joe Philbin is also known as a quarterback guru for the work he did with Favre, Rodgers, and Flynn. The time he spent in Green Bay developing QBs was very successful, to say the least. I expect him to continue that trend. With Tannehill’s work ethic and declining AFC East play, Tannehill will rise to stardom this year. Don’t be shocked to see this team make the wildcard and win a game or two in the playoffs.

15. flash1283 says: Jul 11, 2013 5:04 AM

Jorge Lancerio says:
    Jul 11, 2013 12:04 AM

—-
    Uh, he’s done nothing.

16. kd75 says: Jul 11, 2013 6:00 AM

Ha. They just like what they see from Tannehill’s wife.

17. kane337 says: Jul 11, 2013 6:55 AM

Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins #1

18. hehateme2 says: Jul 11, 2013 7:19 AM

He’s bigger, faster, stronger …and able to leap over a building with a single bound.

Yea, he’s going to be good. Real good.

19. hehateme2 says: Jul 11, 2013 7:21 AM

@thegreatgabbert says: Jul 10, 2013 11:08 PM

Enjoy the cellar… or London. Whichever comes first troll.

20. stratospherex says: Jul 11, 2013 7:46 AM

I REALLY hope Tannehill doesn’t flop!! I am SOOO SICK OF LOSING!!! Gotta remain faithful!

21. markeyh says: Jul 11, 2013 8:07 AM

I am looking forward to this season more than ever

22. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 11, 2013 8:18 AM

The Dolphins will fail miserably even thought they are in an ultra weak division, Tannehill won’t last half a season…..You heard it hear first!

23. triplehops says: Jul 11, 2013 8:43 AM

First, I’m a huge Dolphins fan, but I hope all this “team spirit” doesn’t come crashing to the ground after the first five games.
    1.Browns
    2.Colts
    3.Falcons
    4.Saints
    5.Ravens

We better beat the Browns or things could unravel quick! I can already see the news headings in October. “Dolphins winners in free agency, losers in regular season.”

24. jason8er says: Jul 11, 2013 8:46 AM

Tannehill was very raw coming into the NFL. However, he showed an uncanny ability to fix his mistakes rather quickly. With his rookie season, and now an entire offseason under his belt, I would have expected him to take the next step.

25. thechronicjoker says: Jul 11, 2013 9:26 AM

I’d still rather be a Dolphin fan, the Jets are still a circus, the Patriots, well you know what’s going on and the Bills are still the Bills.

26. steelerben says: Jul 11, 2013 1:45 PM

Out of all the pro QBs in Florida, Tannehill is the one I have the most hope for. Not that it is saying much.