Rolle relieved, ready for Cruz/Nicks challenge

New York Giants v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

As Eli Manning mentioned with what had to be a sigh of relief, the Giants are now through the Victor Cruz business portion of the offseason.

Now they’re back to football, and the realization that’s what started this whole process.

Giants safety Antrel Rolle told the NFL Network’s NFL Total Access that “as a teammate and as an organization, we are extremely relieved,” to have the contract behind them.

“He is a huge part of our offense and, more importantly, he gives me my best work when I am in practice, especially when I am in the slot,” Rolle said. “We are just glad to have everything behind us. We all understand this is a lengthy process, it is a business process. And more importantly he is back with the Giants for a long time.”

And now that he’s back on the field, the challenge for Rolle and his teammates becomes covering him in practice, along with fellow wide receiver Hakeem Nicks.

The change in looks, Rolle said, is what makes that a challenge for them.

“Totally different to defend,” Rolle said of the pair. “Hakeem Nicks, I think he is a little more deceptive than Victor Cruz. When you look at Nicks you might not think he is moving as fast but when you are up against him, running with him, you understand this guy is moving. His hands are probably the biggest I’ve ever seen on a receiver. I call him ‘The Silent killer.’ His routes  are so smooth; everything he does is so smooth.

“While Victor Cruz is going to always put a little bit of salsa on it. I think he goes out there and gives you the wiggles, gives you the shake and he is exceptionally quick. If he takes a step on you, you can pretty much cancel Christmas.”

Christmas came for Cruz this week, as well as for the rest of the Giants who won’t have to be asked about him day after day.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Rolle relieved, ready for Cruz/Nicks challenge”
  1. jawslsp says: Jul 10, 2013 8:38 AM

Christmas is cancelled!

2. justinstuckrule says: Jul 10, 2013 8:42 AM

I’m not optimistic about this season. Everything looks like Nicks is pissed at Reese and the Giant organization. Cruz only signed because the organization leaned on him and I don’t think he’ll be hungry like he was 2 years ago. Cruz was good last year but nothing like 2011. My man Justin Tuck doesn’t haven’t any gas left in the tank. JPP’s promising start in 2011 is in jeopardy due to a bad back. The corner situation is not good either.

I hate to say it but we’re going to be waiting a long time for the next Giant Super Bowl.

3. bspurloc says: Jul 10, 2013 11:36 AM

Eli makes and breaks receivers on both sides of the ball. this has been proven numerous times over the years.
    the only thing sweeter than 18-1 is slapping the Patriots a 2nd time 4 years later!
    Just wish I could use Eli in fantasy

4. justintuckrule says: Jul 10, 2013 4:43 PM

bspurloc says:
    Jul 10, 2013 11:36 AM
    —————
    You know….this is the common thought amongst Giants’ fans and pundits. However, the more I think about it, I might have to respectfully disagree.

Here’s the list that most people refer to as the proof – Steve Smith, Manningham, Shockey, Boss, Ballard, Toomer, Plaxico were all replaceable.

My response is this….Most of these former Giants got injured the following year so we really have no idea whether they would have been just as productive on their new teams.

The best “evidence” to support my position that good WRs matter is the time after Plax shot himself. If Eli was this magician that could turn crummy receivers into good ones, why couldn’t the Giants get out of their own way in 08′ post-Plax when their receivers were Toomer, Hixon and a bunch of scrubs? Similarly, just this past year, our passing offense struggled mightily when Cruz was our only healthy option. None of these Bardens, Sinorice Mosses, Jernigans, Devin Thomas types were ever coronated simply by virtue of playing with Eli.

Eli is great and I love him but this whole idea that he can “create” good receivers (in a way that Brady did in his early SB years) is a little more myth than truth in my opinion. The triumvirate of Eli, Cruz and Nicks makes the machine go. Adding another viable option (hopefully Randle) will make them close to unstoppable.

5. myeaglescantwin says: Jul 11, 2013 10:28 AM

what are the Gmen going to say when they get embarrassed twice by the Birds??
    That lil RB can’t hold the ball.

now that Andy and his pillow soft defense are gone, that Giants OL should get beasted.

6. victorycruz says: Jul 11, 2013 5:27 PM

justinstuckrule says:
    Jul 10, 2013 8:42 AM

——————————————-
    I understand you feeling that way, but you also have to understand that even if Nicks is pissed he will be working hard to get that new $$$$ contract, and so will JPP. Cruz will be fine, 1,000+ yard 10+TD’s season will be fine, plus the emergence of Randle, and Jurnigan will be expected. I believe our TE position is actually stronger this year, Tuck hears everyone 2nd guessing him, plus he wants to prove to the Giants he’s worth keeping around, not to mention guys like Tracy and Ojomo foaming at the mouth to get involved. The secondary and LB situation is the only one I’m worried about at the moment, but we must trust in Reese, TC, and company. They have not let us down.