49ers claim Charly Martin off waivers

Charly Martin AP

On Thursday, the Seahawks claimed a former member of the 49ers off of waivers. On Friday, the 49ers returned the favor.

The NFL announced Friday afternoon that the 49ers have made a successful waiver claim on wide receiver Charly Martin, who was waived by the Seahawks on Thursday to make room on the roster for long snapper Kyle Nelson. Nelson had previously been a member of the 49ers, which leaves the teams even should they be trying to glean information from former members of a division rival.

Martin had four catches for 42 yards in four games with the Seahawks last season. He played eight games for the Panthers in 2009 and 2010 and didn’t see any NFL action during the 2011 season.

There were reports this week that the 49ers remain interested in former Colts wide receiver Austin Collie, but that they wanted to see how things shook out with the players already on the roster before moving to sign him. It’s unclear what, if any, impact the addition of Martin would have on those plans.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
33 Responses to “49ers claim Charly Martin off waivers”
  1. tacowrecker says: Jul 12, 2013 5:17 PM

Pretty sure I saw some seahawk fans predict this last night

2. jda129 says: Jul 12, 2013 5:20 PM

Are Seattle and San Francisco playing “Go Fish” with their rosters?

3. southpaw79 says: Jul 12, 2013 5:45 PM

Alright, I think Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carrol are working together to screw with the media. All the chess moves, the back and forth squabbling, is by design to maximize the attention focused on meaningless occurrences. Every time Kaepernick wears the wrong hat or Sherman opens his mouth, the media loses focus on Brooks and Lynch’s booze related issues.

4. stealthhawk says: Jul 12, 2013 5:55 PM

Well looky here Niners fans! Weren’t you all moaning last night about the ‘Hawks signing your “junk”?

Did we not predict that Harbaugh/Baalke would take it personally and sign Martin just as he did with Morrah?

Hahaha. Niners fans are way too dumb for their own good.

5. thefox61 says: Jul 12, 2013 6:13 PM

It’s all just part of the new NFL player loan program to insure parity among teams. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has defended the newly implemented program by saying that it “stands for strength, courage, pride and respect.”

6. willkerns says: Jul 12, 2013 6:18 PM

I love the fact that 49er fans belittle the Seahawks for picking up their scraps on waivers yet they pick up our players. Both teams are loaded with talent but no one knows what’s going to happen until these teams meet in week 2.

7. themackstrong says: Jul 12, 2013 6:42 PM

This is pretty funny because of the news yesterday I said I was glad we cut Charlie Martin because I didn’t think he was a quality NFL player. But just like Lockette 49ers see him as the next coming of Jerry Rice or something. He was just used wrong in Seattle’s system they’ll say. Could a team be any more needy than looking at Austin Collie to save the day??

8. andrewparties says: Jul 12, 2013 6:54 PM

Seahawks fans, you boys have so much to learn.

9. doskalata says: Jul 12, 2013 7:24 PM

Honestly, I love the rivalry, I just wish it was in better taste and in a positive light. Both are fantastic teams with exceptional coaches; Fans on both sides of the ball are awfully petty on the boards.

If there ever were to be a Divisional all star series, Seahawks and 49ers would become the best of kin in making the NFC West champions amongst any other division… Admit it… You want to like eachother. But both are desperate for a ring.

10. jayhawk777 says: Jul 12, 2013 8:22 PM

Precisely why the Hawks have a better squad. 1. Whiners secondary can’t cover my 10 yr old and 2. They keep picking up retread Hawk receivers. Omg.

That is a serious sign of trouble and desperation. Get all the signals you want and you’ll need em but at the end of the day, Hawks are toooo good 4 whiners

11. donnymacjack says: Jul 12, 2013 8:23 PM

We can love or hate either team but one thing is for certain…We have a hell of a good rivalry going. Should make things fun for years to come!

But let’s keep our eyes on St. Louis and even Arizona. Neither of those teams are slouches.

12. cali49er707 says: Jul 12, 2013 8:24 PM

I HATE the Seahawks & they hate us! Nothing wrong with that. You got two passionate fanbases with a healthy dislike for one another. So be it!!

I can’t wait for the season to start & watch two good teams beat the living $#!+ out of each other. But I’m not looking forward to every game I want to play on the new Madden being me picking my team & everyone else picking Seattle.

I think for the most part the majority of 9ER fans have respect for the Seahawks & how formidable they are. I think thedistaste from 9ER fans towards Seahawk fans is because most Seattle fans act like they have achieved stature in the history of the NFL.

I’m not saying they can’t or will not but, just have some rings to show or talk about before yapping. I respect Seattles team &passionate fanbase. But there is just too much talk from a franchise that has never won anything.

13. willbow5253 says: Jul 12, 2013 8:35 PM

I kind of miss the days when I wasn’t even aware of moves like this.

14. fnc111 says: Jul 12, 2013 9:33 PM

Austin Collie is looking to live the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

15. myosin10 says: Jul 12, 2013 9:35 PM

SF is just fine in their secondary. Rogers is damn good and deflects passes all day. In 2011 he was a pro bowler so in 2012 nobody threw to his side. Dude is a beast! Now we got Nhamdi who has something to prove and can be one of the top DBs in the NFL also Cox is coming into his own. At safety we have one of the hardest hitters in Whitner and a first round pick Reid. I’d say we have a top 10 secondary easy.

16. thefhaloanguy says: Jul 12, 2013 9:38 PM

This is the kind of chicken s— crap I’ve come to expect from any harbaugh team.

17. sampsonswag01 says: Jul 12, 2013 9:55 PM

willkerns says:
    Jul 12, 2013 6:18 PM

____________________________

Not all 49er fans are prompted by ignorance, emotion or just sheer infantile behavior. Some understand the imperative that intelligence gathering plays, human psychology and even business practices. Even more the employment of counter intelligence. Fans who belittle either team for picking up supposed ‘scraps’ are simply making noise for the sake of making noise and believe somehow that makes their team superior. Both of these teams are fearfully loaded with talent and this has become more akin to a new Cold War.

Let us be clear..not all fans are the same.

18. filmguyrob says: Jul 12, 2013 10:05 PM

Receivers know much more about the offensive schemes then long snappers. ;-)
    Beating them at their own game…

GO NINERS!!!

19. 49erstim says: Jul 12, 2013 10:17 PM

@cali49er…. I agree. I think that Seattle squad is talented and they play solid in all 3 phases. When you’ve got Seattle on the schedule you know you better be up for that game. I’ve talked ad nauseam about my respect for Russell Wilson and how I KNEW he could be special. I even said he’d be starting by midseason….I aimed late on that one. Lol……. I say all that to say this. …their fans (as represented on this board) are a joke. They act as if they’re about to 3-peat as champions! In real life they are the “champions” of a regular season football game and little else. They’ve got that little brother mentality. We know you’re good guys (as we tussle their hair) now go play while the adults finish talking……not a big fan of the PEDs though. Be better than that!

20. mikemnz says: Jul 12, 2013 10:49 PM

Does anybody else remember both these teams were 7-9 and 6 -10 a few years back

21. lynchmobb12 says: Jul 12, 2013 10:52 PM

So accoring to cali9er707, saying that because you root for a team who won superbowls two decades ago, that no seahawks fan should defend their team even tho on EVERY hawks article on every site, the first comment is a wise crack or slam against them by a 9 ers fan jus cause they never won a bowl? Gotcha. Maybe ur fans antagonizing is why we “yap” so much?? So because seattle has no trophies fans shouldnt defend their team when their RIVAl bashes them? Fill me in if im getting this wrong, but i thought this was a rivalry?! A very good and competitive one at that! Hawks fans have suffered thru bad teams the past few years, and pc and js have rebuilt this team from bottom up, all with the 9ers and their fans poking and discrediting them the whole time. Now when we get a little respect, u guys act like ur the only big dog n the nfc west because u have old rings, and ur not.We have all right to defendour team. I respect ur history, but how do those sb trophies FROM THE 90s make ur CURRENT roster better at FOOTBAll???Joe montana doesnt play wih the 9ers anymore man. Rice is retired. so is craig, walsh, and lott. Its gotten to the point you cant even debate with a 9er fan without personal attacks, the sb rings response or adderall jokes. And idk why u fans keep saying The 42 13 game was our super bowl. It wasnt at all, were chasing our first one man the super is our superbowl! all that game was just a statement game to let u know u have company in the west and were here!! U guys just continously puff ur chest out like ur teams the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality you havent done anything more special than my team outside of the montana young era. not anything. all were saying is last time we played, well…que the 90s rings security blanket u use to hide the fact that u know seattles CURRENT roster is just as good if not better than friscos CURRENT roster. My teams yonng and upcoming,and were not the best cause we didnt win THIS SB! All the early 90s sb trophies in the world cant hide the fact that Neither did you. I respect the hell out of ur history, and ur sb titles are impressive. but with all due respect, the qb that won most of those is 57 years old, and You should really get over yourselves.
    12sup!!

22. ninerhatersgetready4ring6 says: Jul 12, 2013 11:12 PM

@jayhawk777

The Niners secondary can’t cover a 10 year old? Your ignorance is beyond imagination. Let’s see statistically whose better , THE TRUE FACTS

2012 Niners vs pass – ranked #4
    2012 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked #6

2011 Niners vs pass – ranked #16
    2011 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked#11

2010 Niners vs pass – ranked #24
    2010 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked#27

2009 Niners vs pass – ranked #21
    2009 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked#30

2008 Niners vs pass – ranked #20
    2008 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked #32

So there you have it Mr. JayHawk777, Check these facts and tell me which secondary ON PAPER is better. The 49ers secondary has been better than the SeaHawks the past 4 out of 5 years. Whose got it better than us ?

23. albinorhino49 says: Jul 12, 2013 11:23 PM

Lol, wouldn’t doubt if Jim and Pete are playing this up like the WWE.

24. 12thmanseattle says: Jul 12, 2013 11:27 PM

Any miner fans out there that aren’t douches wanna get together before the hawks niners game in San Fran? I’ll be heading down with a group of buddies and its always fun if you can have some good natured rivalries at the game without people acting like drunk idiots

25. googulsux says: Jul 13, 2013 1:14 AM

Poor guy.
    30 other teams and he ends up a Whiner.
    Talk about a terrible day.
    Better buy a parka Charly … it’s July in San Fran.

26. ghostshock says: Jul 13, 2013 3:25 AM

I didn’t realize fans got rings, cali49er707.

27. floratiotime says: Jul 13, 2013 5:43 AM

Two loser franchises who have gotten a bit of success and now behaving like children. You have to love the irony.

28. 52lightsxout52 says: Jul 13, 2013 11:04 AM

Jerry Rice is looking for someone to design his website. Google ‘Jerry Rice Design-off’ winner gets $10,000.

29. 52lightsxout52 says: Jul 13, 2013 11:23 AM

Reading through these comments, I always knew when the Seahawks came over from the AFC, that a good rivalry would heat up with SanFran, this is some great stuff!!! :-D

30. thefox61 says: Jul 13, 2013 11:49 AM

2010 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked#27

2009 Niners vs pass – ranked #21
    2009 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked#30

2008 Niners vs pass – ranked #20
    2008 SeaHawks vs pass – ranked #32

• • • • • • • • • • • •

I think you may need to recheck your facts.

From NFL.com:

2009
    SEA – #3
    SF – #12

2008
    SEA – #1
    SF – #13

Seattle has a better secondary that San Francisco.

31. firstnovaprime says: Jul 14, 2013 9:36 AM

Like Seattle, this only a move for information. Wouldn’t doubt either player is on the rosters come regular season.

32. richiesaurus310 says: Jul 16, 2013 7:56 PM

I don’t know why fans take these things so personally.
    -49ers Fan

33. themackstrong says: Jul 16, 2013 7:57 PM

myosin10 says: Jul 12, 2013 9:35 PM

——————————————-
    The crazy thing is you guys believe this stuff..I watched (our 4th receiver) Doug Baldwin torch Rogers twice in the same game. One for 50 yard catch and the other for a TD in the back of the right end zone. Chris Cullivar had better stats than Rogers. Don’t even get me started on Dontae Whitner who allowed 4 TD in his last two games alone. Did you watch any tape of Nnamdi the last 2 years?? 49er fans are the biggest bandwagon fans in all of sports.