Workouts with Frank Gore helping Lamar Miller

Lamar Miller, Chandler Jones AP

There’s a long tradition of former Miami Hurricanes gathering during the offseason to work out together and two running backs are keeping that alive this year.

49ers running back Frank Gore has been working out with Dolphins running back Lamar Miller twice a day in Miami and the consensus opinion is that the workouts are benefitting Miller as he heads into his second NFL season. Steelers linebacker Sean Spence, another product of The U, calls Miller learning from Gore “a beautiful thing” and Pete Bommarito, who runs the facility where the players work out, says that Miller’s work ethic and mentality have improved thanks to Gore’s tutelage. Gore has noticed improved footwork from Miller, who says he’s better prepared for life in the NFL now.

“I’ve gotten quicker doing lateral work, and I’ve become more explosive by training every day doing squats on my legs,” Miller said, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. “[And] I’m stronger. Last year, I was kind of lost getting adjusted to the speed of the game and knowing where I’m supposed to be at all times. Now I’m very comfortable with the system.”

There are worse backs to emulate than Gore, especially with Miller ticketed for the lead back role in Miami after playing behind Reggie Bush last season. His speed has long been his calling card, but we’ve heard praise for his improvement as a pass blocker and improved strength could lead to a more physical running style that further cements him as the lead back with the Dolphins.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Workouts with Frank Gore helping Lamar Miller”
  1. mrpresident50 says: Jul 12, 2013 10:16 AM

As a Dolphins fan, this is a beautiful thing. It makes me very happy.

2. triplehops says: Jul 12, 2013 10:24 AM

Can’t wait to watch this guy.

3. kgun80 says: Jul 12, 2013 10:29 AM

THE U

4. steelerben says: Jul 12, 2013 10:34 AM

Was Spence just observing the workout or was he participating? I thought he was still a long way out in his rehab.

5. forty9asty says: Jul 12, 2013 10:35 AM

Yeah, but was Frank Gore wearing a Dolphins hat?

6. thehighhat says: Jul 12, 2013 10:37 AM

Frank Gore: Pure class

I think Miller is going to surprise a lot of people this season!

7. schmitty2 says: Jul 12, 2013 10:48 AM

Niner players sure do like the Dolphins for some reason. I haven’t seen an obsession with them like this since Ray Finkle kidnapped Snowflake and Dan Marino.

8. kev86 says: Jul 12, 2013 10:58 AM

RB2 target.

9. hehateme2 says: Jul 12, 2013 11:06 AM

It’s refreshing to see players helping out others (on different teams) in the role of a mentor. Not sure how much this happens outside of the U.
    Frank Gore is a class guy and Miller will indeed benefit from his experience.

I expect big things from Lamar Miller this season and beyond.

10. scmems07 says: Jul 12, 2013 11:13 AM

good to see there still are some good guys in this league on some classy teams, with all the pats convicts, shehawks loudmouth cheaters and drunk driving cowboys and so on, i was starting to lose faith.

11. ninerhatersgetready4ring6 says: Jul 12, 2013 11:42 AM

To all the SeAdderral Fans , maybe Marshawn Lynch can mentor someone on how to drive a mini-van drunk and not go to trial for two years ..Or maybe he can mentor Christine Michael on how to set his alarm clock to not miss important meetings….By the way, what male you know is name CHRISTINE? Wow, what a group…

12. robt2013 says: Jul 12, 2013 11:48 AM

2013 = Miller Time!

13. trollhammer20 says: Jul 12, 2013 12:11 PM

ninerhatersgetready4ring6:

I wouldn’t worry so much about Christine. He’s only a backup.

Now, Percival, Sydney, and Golden….those are some names you may need to worry about.

14. jayniner says: Jul 12, 2013 12:26 PM

schmitty2 says:
    Jul 12, 2013 10:48 AM

_________________________

Slow down there Spanky…….the Niners are big into community service and believe in helping the less fortunate.

15. sampsonswag01 says: Jul 12, 2013 12:34 PM

schmitty2 says:
    Jul 12, 2013 10:48 AM
    ____________________________

Nicely done, sir, nicely done. And they said a Pet Detective reference couldn’t be made today, but, alas, you showed them. Kudos. I literally LOL’d.

16. 64post says: Jul 12, 2013 12:35 PM

Frank Gore himself just 1200 yds. from 10,000. He is a great guy and damn good football player.

17. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Jul 12, 2013 1:49 PM

Ok. Let me get this straight.

A 49er wears a Dolphins hat… gets BOATLOAD of flak.

A 49er HELPS a Dolphins player get better…
    and not one peep.

#makesperfectsense

18. ishudbgm says: Jul 12, 2013 2:21 PM

I can not tell you the last time I went into a Fins season baffled about what Im looking forward to seeing the most…..Miller, Thill, Wallace, Jordan & Wake, RJones….all we had last year as fins fans was Hard Knocks, after that I didn’t know where the excitement would come from.

Daniel Thomas had the jump on the rb job, even had a guy named Reggie Bush there to show him that hard work pays off and yet he did nothing. Some players you just do not feel sorry for. Hope Miller locks this rb job up quick!!! Jenkins as our #2

19. elway6532 says: Jul 12, 2013 3:32 PM

out of 51 carries they guy has a long run of 28 yards. I don’t care how fast he looks, he isn’t getting into the secondary much. reminds me of how everyone touts Ronnie Hillman being so fast for Denver. ..I suppose he might be, but I’ve never seen him run past the D line. Speed is over rated. Give me a hard nose that grinds five yards and a cloud of dust every time. guys like that move the chains, eat the clock, and hold up the Lombardi (see Terrel Davis). don’t agree? how many times did Barry Sanders watch the playoffs from his couch? answer: almost every year.