Mark Sanchez: In QB competition, I put my money on myself

Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez AP

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez has once again expressed confidence that he’s going to win the team’s quarterback competition.

Sanchez told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that he “absolutely” believes he’s going to beat second-round draft pick Geno Smith when the two go head-to-head in training camp and the preseason.

“When it comes down to a competition, I just put my money on myself,” Sanchez said. “And bet on myself and go play and go win the job. So if that’s what it’s going to be like it’s been clear that’s what it is, alright let’s go.”

Asked if the Jets’ quarterback competition will be close, Sanchez said, “We’ll see. I hope not.”

Sanchez is wise to hope it won’t be close because if it is, Jets coach Rex Ryan would probably err on the side of giving the rookie a chance to provide the team a spark. The only way for Sanchez to keep his starting job is to be the best quarterback in training camp, by a lot.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
82 Responses to “Mark Sanchez: In QB competition, I put my money on myself”
  1. macmanud says: Jul 13, 2013 8:09 AM

In that case, I wil be putting money on the Jets wining less than 4 games.

2. rodge1 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:09 AM

This is great news for the rest of the AFC East!… Not so much for the Jets though…

3. londonlion81 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:14 AM

This guy doesn’t help himself…

4. emoney12 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:16 AM

What Sanchez doesn’t get is that this is his 5th year and he’s still competing for the job. With a rookie none the less. Bad bad bad quarterback.

5. teal379 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:16 AM

The more he talks – the more it sounds like Smith is your week 1 starter.

6. oldbyrd says: Jul 13, 2013 8:17 AM

I still think Sanchez can play and play well in the NFL. Some guys mature late.

7. urmomsmyho says: Jul 13, 2013 8:18 AM

Good thing he has plenty of money to lose…

8. bastyboy says: Jul 13, 2013 8:18 AM

Pete Rose put money on himself too.

9. helladonks says: Jul 13, 2013 8:18 AM

not the best idea. look at the jets since they put their money on you.

10. camdenyard says: Jul 13, 2013 8:19 AM

Enough already.

11. thelastwordyaheard says: Jul 13, 2013 8:20 AM

it’s future bust vs. butt fumble to see who gets to steer the Titanic.. let the games begin

12. bigwinintx says: Jul 13, 2013 8:21 AM

“There’s a sucker born every minute.”
    P.T. Barnum

13. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 13, 2013 8:22 AM

Hmmm, well what are you gonna do when your broke then?

14. whhaaat says: Jul 13, 2013 8:25 AM

What a butt-head

15. flipola says: Jul 13, 2013 8:32 AM

Of course he would. He is himself, therefore, his biggest (likely only) fan.

16. blacnsilvr says: Jul 13, 2013 8:32 AM

Enough already!

17. greyhawk9 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:34 AM

does he know how terrible he has played for the past 2-3 years???
    what is the root of this new found confidence

18. luz56 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:35 AM

Sounds like a tight knit group forming there..

19. gottaplan says: Jul 13, 2013 8:36 AM

I don’t know if I agree with that. If Sanchez is better …at all.. then Rex who has already tied his wagon to him will stay with him, at least to start the season. Even Rex knows that a rookie QB will have growing pains and rough patches.. and if Rex misses the playoffs again… He’s gone. And that would be bad news for us Fins fans…we love ‘em!

20. dirtybird28 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:42 AM

If it’s close, the locker room may be divided. if Sanchez is the clear cut winner, then accusations of Smith being a wasted 2nd round pick can come up. if Smith is the clear cut winner, then they’ll have an expensive back up on their hands. It’ll be tough any which way.

21. allhailkingflacco says: Jul 13, 2013 8:44 AM

Just don’t bet the house Mark.

22. pinion8ted says: Jul 13, 2013 8:47 AM

“Sanchez told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that he “absolutely” believes he’s going to beat second-round draft pick Geno Smith when the two go head-to-head in training camp and the preseason”
    ———————————————————-

You’re a four year veteran NFL quarterback ……. you SHOULD win competitions against rookies.

smh

23. jimthebuilder27 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:50 AM

This guy talks more than Rex Ryan

24. robt2013 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:55 AM

Sanchez “absolutely” believes he is going to beat second round pick Geno Smith when they go head to head. Which really means- Geno Smith will be the starting QB.

25. wryly1 says: Jul 13, 2013 8:55 AM

Sanchez may start the opener, but they wouldn’t have drafted Geno Smith if they had any faith in Sanchez. If it weren’t for his $8.5 meg guarantee, he’s already be out the door along with the guy who drafted him in the top 10.

26. dlbpatsfan says: Jul 13, 2013 8:57 AM

Wouldn’t expect him to say anything else.

27. seidinho says: Jul 13, 2013 9:00 AM

Week one, he is going to be horrible again and everybody wants him benched.

28. iced107 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:00 AM

This makes me wonder if Vegas is taking bets on the jet’s starting qb

29. tjacks7 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:00 AM

Oh, he doesn’t even see it coming. You had your chance, Sanchize.

30. patriots123456 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:08 AM

I don’t think the Jet’s offense is going to be very good this year.

Mark, you are the main reason I feel this way.

Sorry Jet’s fans.

31. FinFan68 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:18 AM

Just another thing he’ll lose this year…wait, nevermind, his competition is Geno Smith

32. cwk22 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:19 AM

Who cares what he thinks? I wish the decision was made today so we could stop hearing about him and his wonderful self confidence

33. nesuperfan says: Jul 13, 2013 9:25 AM

I hope he is right, and wins the job easily. As a New England fan, I rather like the idea of Sanchez behind center for many years to come.

34. jiggy3198 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:29 AM

Nobody else is that’s for sure!!!

35. jiggy3198 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:29 AM

Nobody else is that’s for sure!!!!

36. ecupatsfan12 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:38 AM

Mark Sanchez is like a firefighter trying to put out a house fire with a water pistol. The house burns uncontrollably and Rex Ryan stands outside and says to the people inside “No worries, Mark will put it out” and time after time the house burns down and everyone wonders why he still has a job.

37. getyourownname says: Jul 13, 2013 9:39 AM

Going head to head? Did they bring in Gus Frerotte as coach?

38. pisano says: Jul 13, 2013 9:48 AM

This guy is delusional, he is living proof of the saying: ” He’s so far behind, he thinks he’s in first place” I wish the Jets would name Geno the starter asap, so this idiot Sanchez will shut his mouth.

39. grpatriot says: Jul 13, 2013 9:58 AM

Mark is the man! Yeah, I can beat out a green Rookie, all day! Plus show my feminine side…..

40. ryann252013 says: Jul 13, 2013 10:02 AM

I’m so done with how this team is being run and how the media posterizes this team all over. It gives us Jets fans a headache, I wish woody would just sell the team to Trump or to an owner that actually wants to win something for us and not make us look like fools on a daily basis so woody can go focus on his old man baby powder and the elections. Rex Ryan needs to be canned to, I hate how some fans still love this guy. He dismantled a Super Bowl team and failed to keep key pieces like JCO and Braylon who would of signed for the vet minimum for over a couple years and it would of helped Sanchez grow. But no our idiotic coach, owner and gm at the time signed Holmes to a mega deal which helped Keller and Revis walk too. I have a good feeling about Idzik and Geno for the faces of the future and I can only hope we get a vet coach next year because I’m sick of losing and getting laughed at. Lol..end of rant.

41. strokeytheclown says: Jul 13, 2013 10:03 AM

For crying out loud, anybody else but me sick and fuc&ing tired of Sanchez stories? Give it a rest! I thought after Tebow was gone the writers would shut up about the Jets for a while.

42. expertop says: Jul 13, 2013 10:10 AM

Is Mark Sanchez a good quarterback? I haven’t been paying attention.

43. buffalo75vette says: Jul 13, 2013 10:13 AM

And he thinks he looks good in his head band

44. peanutele24 says: Jul 13, 2013 10:37 AM

He’s gonna win the competition but when the lights come on he’s gonna go googoo gaga. Like he has never played a down of football in his lights. So congrats “Rusty Sanchez” your a fantastic training camp QB

45. bobbyb06073 says: Jul 13, 2013 10:38 AM

Here we go…another year of this dope…

46. greyhawk9 says: Jul 13, 2013 10:44 AM

The jets are in a terrible position with a mentally shattered 5 year
    vet that thought he was going to be the next Joe Montana when he came into the league and a guy that is likely to be the next Vince young…..5 wins max

47. legeisyaj says: Jul 13, 2013 10:46 AM

PFT thanks. I support more and more write ups about the jets and Sanchez and less and less about murder and legal proceedings.

48. steelers4385 says: Jul 13, 2013 10:51 AM

Hes gunna go broke doing that

49. raymondtx says: Jul 13, 2013 10:52 AM

Is he trying to convince us, or himself? He sounds like he plays, unsure and clueless.

50. In the Weeds says: Jul 13, 2013 10:55 AM

Well, good luck with it–but remember, not every woman wants a crappy quarterback who’s broke.

51. lrjets says: Jul 13, 2013 11:02 AM

Dear Dolphins Fans:

Why do you collectively root for the existing presence of Rex and Sanchez?
    Would it matter to your team?
    Did it ever matter?

The only good I see in your wish is that at least one of your eight home games will not be blacked out, and your owner won’t have to buy 20,000 or so unsold tickets.

52. carlsbadboltfan says: Jul 13, 2013 11:13 AM

How does that saying go? “a fool and his money…”

53. patriots123456 says: Jul 13, 2013 11:14 AM

The past couple of weeks all the negative posts & attention have been directed and the Pats. Rightfully so I might add.

The Jets have been quiet and coasting.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone on the Jets said something stupid.

Thanks Mark (LOL)

54. cool10857 says: Jul 13, 2013 11:21 AM

Sanchez sucks. Period. End of story. It’s time for the Jets to trash Sanchez. Goodbye loser!

55. pondbridge says: Jul 13, 2013 11:31 AM

Finally. A use for bitcoins.

56. bigdaddy66 says: Jul 13, 2013 11:42 AM

Dead man walking…..

57. tsizzlesucks says: Jul 13, 2013 11:51 AM

Marky Mark….Here’s the problem! You talk too much. You shouldn’t be able to bet on yourself cause you shouldn’t be getting paid a dime to play football. Rex must love your feet or something! You suck as a qb and as a headband model. As a matter of fact, I haven’t seen or heard of anything you’re good at ….so please just go away and let us talk about real football players.

58. smackingfools says: Jul 13, 2013 11:56 AM

Doesn’t have to beat him by a lot. Ryan will start the guy he thinks will give them the best shot to win. Whoever that may be. Go Dolphins!

59. devildog911 says: Jul 13, 2013 11:58 AM

Come on people.. he meant he put money on him that he will butt fumble again this season…

60. immafubared says: Jul 13, 2013 12:00 PM

Hey Mark they drafted a black QB who can pass and run to get rid of you. What part of that don’t you understand. You were given your shot last year and flubbed it up badly, they aren’t doing that again this year. You won’t make it through traininig camp.

61. cgsuddeath says: Jul 13, 2013 12:08 PM

The only time i have ever commented on Mark Sanchez was pre-draft and was not impressed then.To date I haven’t seen anything that will change my opinion yet.

62. j0esixpack says: Jul 13, 2013 12:19 PM

I hear he and Wrecks Ryan have a wager… If Sanchez loses he has to pay for Ryan’s tattoo removal

63. cmdrsmooth says: Jul 13, 2013 12:37 PM

I can see Rex Ryan on the next Tattoo Nightmares Season on Spike.

64. mancave001 says: Jul 13, 2013 12:42 PM

You’re in your 5th year and you are still competing for the starting job against a rookie? Time to change your bet.

65. siggtacular says: Jul 13, 2013 12:44 PM

Who cares about the jets

66. toybkshr says: Jul 13, 2013 1:15 PM

What’s with all the stories about a QB in the bottom tier?

67. razzmatazzcomics says: Jul 13, 2013 1:16 PM

Pete Rose told me that pro athletes are not allowed to gamble on their own sport. Even if it’s on themselves. I await Sanchez’s lifetime ban from the sport. Probably make Jets fans happy, anyway.

68. prijak1 says: Jul 13, 2013 1:21 PM

Sanchez is an elite QB and will lead the JETS to the Superbowl! Get ready but your Sanchez jersey before it sells out…. As for Geno Smith he sucks that’s why EJ Manuel went 23 spots before him…. Get over it Geno you suck

69. cwk22 says: Jul 13, 2013 1:53 PM

Hey lrjets: as a Dolphin fan I do agree with you on one thing. Our teams owner sucks and is doing his best daily to make Woody look good n comparison. And I do believe he is succeeding.

70. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 13, 2013 2:00 PM

Who wants to play a game of strip football?!?!

Cut to scene 17 weeks later with a totally naked Sanchez.

Sanchez: Well it looks like I was even more right, cause now we all win, now watch me do the twist!

71. mauijim805 says: Jul 13, 2013 2:01 PM

Listen Sancheese,the only sure thing in your football future is holding a clipboard just like the rest is the USC posers…

72. tim8450 says: Jul 13, 2013 2:08 PM

Should be a lesson that they can teach at the rookie symposium. ” hey rookies, here is a classic mistake that causes football players to be broke by 35… Don’t gamble and especially not on long shots.”

73. sportnorcal says: Jul 13, 2013 2:08 PM

Could he seriously be any more of a tool?

He needs to stay out of GQ and try to be an NFL QB. I cant believe he is still running his mouth like an imbecile.

I would imagine Jets fans are sick of it and ready for Geno to have a crack at it?

74. graphis56 says: Jul 13, 2013 2:09 PM

“I put my money on my Elf.” Sanchez told a group of stunned reporters. He continued with “Elfin’ Magic will really help my game.” Sanchez then spun in a circle three times before falling off the podium, landing directly on a technician’s butt.

75. securb2013 says: Jul 13, 2013 3:01 PM

The Jets have the Bucs, Bills and Titans all in the first 4 weeks I would let Geno start and try to build his confidence with a couple of wins. After week four the Jets are looking at a pretty brutal Oct and Nov, I don’t think either of the Jets QBs could put up a wins in those games.

76. blkdogcreative says: Jul 13, 2013 3:13 PM

I’d drop the head band.

77. nananatman says: Jul 13, 2013 3:59 PM

I bet the money is taped to his leg

78. bennyb82 says: Jul 13, 2013 4:19 PM

Not a Sanchez fan, but he would probably be way better on another team.

79. footballfan58 says: Jul 13, 2013 4:30 PM

And people are saying the circus has moved to New England?

80. larrydavid7000 says: Jul 13, 2013 6:38 PM

Can someone please tell me how this team can draft 2 QBs years apart and still suck big time.!!!!!! Who really is running this circus.????? How can loser management look in the mirror everyday and say yes to a good job. Start the circus music any time. First song Send in the clowns.

81. joeyb3878 says: Jul 13, 2013 9:56 PM

I think the boldness of Sanchez’s comments may have been fueled by Geno Smith pulling a no show at Sanchez’s charity event for no good reason. I think it will be close mainly because they are both bums and the starter will be the guy who doesn’t lose the spot as opposed to going out and winning it.

82. kev86 says: Jul 14, 2013 7:59 PM

His career is spiraling out of control. New team is next.