Mike Wallace: I have to do more than catch the football

Mike Wallace AP

Coverage of wide receiver Mike Wallace’s move to Miami has focused on the impact that the wideout will have on the Dolphins offense, but Wallace believes there’s more to his job than just catching passes from Ryan Tannehill.

Wallace believes that his job extends beyond the tangible statistics on the field to the way he interacts and motivates his teammates off of it. While it wasn’t a role he found himself playing for the Steelers, Wallace wants to be a leader for the Dolphins.

“I just have to lead more, lead by example more, not just go out and think I can just play my game and that’ll be all I need to do,” Wallace said, via Chris Perkins of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Out there [in Pittsburgh] we had so many great leaders that I really didn’t have to say too much, I really didn’t have to do too much, just go out and do my job. But here, I have to do my job and motivate at the same time.”

Wallace is extending his desire to be a leader beyond the team as well. Perkins reports he met with Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado last week to discuss ways that Wallace can impact the larger community during his time in Miami.

The Dolphins brought Wallace to town to help their offense. If he just does that, no one in Miami will complain. If he winds up boosting other parts of the team and city as well, though, he’ll turn out to be an even better investment.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Mike Wallace: I have to do more than catch the football”
  1. finscanes says: Jul 15, 2013 9:06 AM

Can’t wait to attend camp on Sunday. Hoping for some beautiful dimes from Tannehill to Wallace, among other things.

Cue the nerds with their ignorant and tired “one trick pony” comments. That’s getting so old. Or maybe there will be the usual lame “he has to catch the ball first” comment, or “he has to have a QB first” even though Tannehill had one of the best and accurate deep balls in the league as a rookie! C’mon haters show me how predictable you are..once again.

2. frankdatank23 says: Jul 15, 2013 9:17 AM

If you thought he was pretty solid in Pittsburgh, wait til you see him in a vertical pass first offense.

3. latenightroach says: Jul 15, 2013 9:18 AM

As long as Mike Wallace doesn’t wear a stupid “Free Hernandez” hat like Mike Pouncey did he’ll be just fine.

4. joemontanaflaccid says: Jul 15, 2013 9:27 AM

finscanes: obviously you have not watched any film on Wallace, if you did, you would realize, you are the one with the ignorant comments. As for your QB, your comment is right, he’s throws a good ball, he’s up and coming.

5. joeytorontosucks says: Jul 15, 2013 9:55 AM

Love the attitude, hoping for a big season from the boys in teal and orange.

6. schmitty2 says: Jul 15, 2013 9:56 AM

finscanes says:Jul 15, 2013 9:06 AM

I guess I must be a nerd because last time I checked I thought it was pretty well known his one trick was speed but has proven to not have the best hands nor run decent routes. I guess I’m wrong?

7. bwomped says: Jul 15, 2013 10:00 AM

Good luck with that. He will not have the caliber of a career he started with in Pittsburgh. Mike Wallace’s ego will be the talk on ESPN and how it destroyed a turn around attempt by The Dolphins.

8. finscanes says: Jul 15, 2013 10:04 AM

^like I said.

@joemontana
    If you knew me personally you’d find there are few that watch more film than me. Seeing as I’m 25 and just getting my foot in the door in the scouting industry I would like to think I watch more film/games (Highschool, college and pro) than the average fan. When I watch Steeler games I see a guy in Wallace that can also catch slants, bubble screens and dig routes. If the DB takes a bad angle on him and doesn’t break down on the tackle, Wallace is good for a nice chunk of YAC everytime. Just because he doesn’t have the amazing hands of a Fitzgerald doesn’t mean he can’t do more than you think or what the Steelers allowed him to do. Also, what film did YOU watch? Big Ben’s deep ball highlights? Sorry if I use my eyes and refuse to copy what others post.

9. robt927 says: Jul 15, 2013 10:09 AM

Get ready for his worst production as a pro.
    Like the guy but not the brightest person in the huddle.

10. joemontanaflaccid says: Jul 15, 2013 10:22 AM

finscanes: I’m not a Steelers fan, have been a junior college football coach for 22 years. Coach WR/TE. Have watched more film than you’ve watched TV.

11. joemontanaflaccid says: Jul 15, 2013 10:43 AM

finscanes: I went to Florida St,I am a Dolphins fan and coach in South Florida, if you are interested.

12. FinFan68 says: Jul 15, 2013 10:47 AM

All Wallace needs to do is show up, not whine, catch the ball and score. Team first attitudes are always better than a me-first diva looking for individual stats.

13. finscanes says: Jul 15, 2013 10:49 AM

I don’t watch TV (except when the games start) so that’s a pretty bad comparison. But in all seriousness I take what I’m getting into very seriously to provide for my son. I’m not here to compare careers especially since I’m at the early stages of mine and damn proud to be. My main starting point had to with Mike Wallace and how so many people have him painted as a wideout that can only do one thing. But you don’t get 32 TDs in 4 years without knowing how to play the game is all I’m saying. I trust our offensive coaches to more with him than Pittsburgh did.

14. jaypell says: Jul 15, 2013 10:51 AM

I’m a Steelers fan.. and I’m not just saying this out of spite. Mike Wallace has the potential to be great but he also has just the same amount of potential to be a bust… I’ve been waiting for him the blossom his whole career.. for what everyone’s saying is true if its not a bomb to the end zone he is not very useful… I see this trade being like the San sAntonio holmes trade.. if he doesn’t continue to grow as a receiver he will be useless… and he stopped growing in Pittsburgh in 2012..

15. floratiotime says: Jul 15, 2013 10:59 AM

Yes. You can bag groceries. Be thankful you don’t have to.

16. joemontanaflaccid says: Jul 15, 2013 11:06 AM

finscanes: Wallace has a lot to prove and learn. What I’ve watched on him, I’m not his biggest fan. The main reason I responded, was when you call people ignorant, without knowing them, you are going to get it back at you, that’s all. Make your point, but don’t insult. They don’t like it, you don’t like it.

17. thefox61 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:37 PM

Blah, blah, blah… Just lead by example and catch the ball first.

18. finscanes says: Jul 15, 2013 12:37 PM

Fair enough

19. nathanbetz91 says: Jul 15, 2013 4:52 PM

You have to actually CATCH the football.something you failed to do allot last season

20. vincentbojackson says: Jul 15, 2013 10:59 PM

Just concentrate on catching perfectly thrown passes that hit you in the hands and you’ll be fine.

Wallace seemed to forget that was his job last season.

21. dannycarrao says: Jul 16, 2013 1:48 AM

My opinion of him just went up after reading this article. Let’s hope this mature attitude sticks!

22. Sometimes Interesting says: Jul 16, 2013 3:33 AM

You guys forget we had Brandon Marshall.

Mike Wallace will be a walk in the park when it comes to drops – but he also catches touchdowns, something Marshall wasn’t doing for us.