Packers, Morgan Burnett agree to four-year, $24.75 million deal

Reuters

The Packers and safety Morgan Burnett have a new deal.

Burnett has signed a four-year contract extension worth $24.75 million, with $8.25 million guaranteed, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

A 2010 third-round pick, Burnett had been negotiating a new deal with the Packers in recent weeks. He was heading into the final season of his rookie contract and could have entered free agency in March, but now the Packers have locked him up.

Burnett became a starter at the beginning of his rookie season, which was cut short by a torn ACL. He has started all 16 games in each of the last two seasons.

64 responses to “Packers, Morgan Burnett agree to four-year, $24.75 million deal

1. Hope they know what they’re doing. I’m not impressed with him or any of the Db’s on this team. It and lack of linebackers who tackle are their achiles heel. I’ve got them at 6-10 this year.
    No defense, no offensive line protection. OOPs

2. This was a good signing. He is a good player and would have gotten more if he tested the market. Without Collins and Woodson, we really couldnt afford to let him walk.

3. They will need him big time this year! They need every talented Defensive player in this upcoming season! Trying to stop AP from steamrolling our Linebackers & retreating DB’s, we really need this guy! How else our we gonna stop AP, the greatest RB to ever play the game! Along with, Greg Jennings, Kyle Rudolph & the new rookie WR, the Vikings drafted, Corderrell Patterson, we might be in real big Trouble this year, that Viking Squad is looking nasty this year!!! our beloved Rodgers better have a banner year, or we are in for a long, long season!!! Good signing

4. Solid signing… Makes me a little sad that I’ll never get to see him and Nick Collins together in the backfield together though.

5. When’s the last time a team with a franchise QB of Rodgers ability went 6-10? Unless he misses time because of injury no way the Packers lose 10 games.

6. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:37 PM
    Packers sure are handing out a lot of big contracts lately. They might have to have another stock sale soon.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————– why do we have to have another stock sale?? do the vikings need a loan to fix their roof??? we keep quality players, the vikings pick up the left overs.

7. Good move, Ted. The way it goes in Green Bay is you do not hear much about these guys until they are resigned when on the cusp of break-outs.

That’s how it works when you develop your own talent and not rely on over the hill over priced diva free agents.

8. 4 more years of watching him run away from, rather than, you know, try to tackle, adrian peterson?

yes please.

9. good signing, he is a solid player with some more upside yet to give. beside’s if the packers didn’t pay him this year the viking’s would’ve doubled it next year.

10. God I love Vikings fans, they make me feel like a genius when I read their posts, its kinda like walking into Walmart when your having a bad day and all you do is look at the people around you and you feel better about yourself, thank you Vikings fans without you guys we wouldn’t need the word stupid

11. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:37 PM
    =================
    So if you were in the packers shoes you wouldn’t sign them? You would just let Clay, Rodgers, and Burnett walk?

12. Viking fans should know him well, the Vikings were leading the Packers in GB last year, about to get another TD to open up even a bigger lead and Burnett intercepted a Ponder pass in the end zone to kill a drive and keep points off the scoreboard.

So when the Viking trolls come out of the woodwork on him, this pleasant memory might help you remember exactly who he is.

13. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jul 15, 2013 8:37 PM

—————————————————
    Yup…another stock sale to raise money for another Lambeau renovation to turn it into a greenhouse. Man how cool to have a glass ceiling. At least you will see the planes fly over instead of putting them on the jumbo tron like they do at the inflatable toilet now.

14. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jul 15, 2013 8:37 PM

………………………………………………………………………

The Vikings were thinking of going public and offering a stock sale, but they could only qualify for junk bond status so gave up on the idea.

15. Had no choice but to make him a priority. Jennings/Richardson/McMillian are completely unsettled on the other side, and if those guys don’t step up they could not afford to go into free agency next year needing two starting safeties.

Burnett has shown flashes of brilliance, hope he makes a step or two forward.

16. @jhein23: um … try Green Bay Packers, in 2008. Sure, they’re a better team than they were then, but you asked…

17. This is a good signing. Looking forward to seeing him knock Greg Jennings unconscious a few times this year. If GJ’s bum leg doesn’t give out first, that is.

18. In Ted we trust. Look out NFL. The Packers are going to win it all this year. It will be a long hard road, but they will conquer and reign supreme by Super Bowl’s final gun. You read it here first.

19. Kid is a good player and the secondary is the strength of the defense. Hopefully a full year with Neal and rookie Datone Jones will give the front some pop. With a new Running game the Packers will be taking the North again but that is almost a given. What better team to play a cold weather Super Bowl than the Packers? SB #5 is on its way.

20. Well, we know he’s better than any defender in Minnesota, and they’ve got some old dude making like 14 mil this year.

Talk about a waste of cap.

Jared Allen should just retire, but I’m glad he’s wasting their money.

21. Man is he ever not worth it. Not like it matters though, Rodgers and the WR core are good enough to take an otherwise horrible team to 10 wins or better for a while.

22. Silly! Packers would never lose that many games, I see our pack squad 10-6, maybe 11-5… Gonna be some tough games. I don’t see us beating the Vikings @ All this year! They look fierce!! Especially If Ponder improves as much as I think he will! He has some legit targets this year, and we have to honor that! I see AP running for 250+ yards per game against us! Kinda stressing me out! This signing will help stop AP in the 2nd and 3rd levels! Go pack go!!

23. Good signing prob would of got around 30mil on the open market, a good balanced safety and considering all the veterans who departed over the last couple of years they simply couldn’t afford to let him go.

24. As much as I would just love to see Greenbay go 6-10 that wont happen
    because they are a better team than that. but packers fans thinking that they will go to the Superbowl is full of cheese. NOT with this schedule its built from game one to hurt the packers all season.

25. Ahh yes, summer time. When fans of every NFL team just KNOW that this is the year they take home the Lombardi trophy. Even Vikings fans feel like beating their chests and trolling Packer related stories… September can’t get here soon enough.

26. jhein23 says:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:59 PM
    “When’s the last time a team with a franchise QB of Rodgers ability went 6-10? Unless he misses time because of injury no way the Packers lose 10 games.”
    ——————————————
    Back in 2008 when Rodgers was still sort of “noob’ish” at being a starter – didn’t help that Mason Unclutch Crosby was his kicker, or that predictable/pathetic Bob Sanders defense folded every time it had the lead in the 4th qt/OT.

Now that I think about it, it was probably for the best, we didn’t hide Rodgers like the 49ers/falcons did with Alex/MattyIce – behind a dink n dunk/Run Game – we just threw him out there, CARRY US – sink or swim, he got damn good at swimming.

27. What the Packers signed a player after we heard about the cap trouble following Matthews and Rodgers? How could they do it and still have 10million left? Thats why Ted is one of the best in the business. Keep the core of talented young players together.

Regarding the poster about our defensive backfield you might want to get a clue. Our set of db’s are young and very good and one of our strongest positions. With all the so called weaknesses, the Pack still took the division. I assume you are another in the long list of jealous Viking posters.

Spielman if it takes us funs to donate to keep the team viable fans are more than ready to do that. Thats the difference between fans that care and have asuccessful franchise vs. A team mired in futility barely able to keep the franchise from leaving town like other pro teams previously have. We are true fans.

28. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:37 PM
    ///////////////////////////////////

I wish.

29. vikingsrulez69 says: Jul 16, 2013 9:00 AM

I guess they’re only signing bargain basement players. Is that the way to build a dynasty?

————————————————-

You should hope so as majority of these “bargain basement” players will be in purple in a few years.

30. He’s a stud and they locked him in at a great price. Ted Thompson is the real magician.

31. donth8thehorns says:
    Jul 16, 2013 2:05 AM

————————————————————-
    Dummy….we all know you are a Viking fan pretending to be a Packer fan to pump up your own sorry team. Your name kinda gives it away.

32. Wow. Kind of a lot of money for a guy who couldn’t keep Golden Tate from catching a game winning TD pass…

33. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:37 PM

_____________________________

34. donth8thehorns says:
    Jul 16, 2013 2:05 AM
    *********************************************

2:05 am… drunk blogging… classic!

35. @fudgebot
    I have no respect for that little rat hole so you can keep the english lesson. NOW the read option was bought to the NFL for Dom Capers and teams who run his style of 3-4 defense. greenbay start the season against the 49ers and Redskins both are read option offenses. Maybe greenbay should have got rid of Dom last season

36. muskyhunter2542 says:
    Jul 16, 2013 10:49 AM
    Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:37 PM

_____________________________

—–
    Yes they are on that list. Nice try though.

37. muskyhunter2542 says…..Check Forbes. The Packers are worth $1.61Bil. #18 of all sports including international Soccer. Are the Vikings even on that list???
    ———————————————————-Yes, Forbes just put the Vikings somewhere in the 20’s or 30’s just yesterday….do you need help with anything else?

38. entitledpackersfan says:Jul 15, 2013 10:13 PM

I don’t recall voting on this measure. Did any of my fellow shareholders approve this move?
    ==============================

We didn’t get a vote on that. But let me educate you on how stock in ANY corporation works. You elect the board of directors. The board of directors manages the affairs of the corporation. They may chose to delegate some of their authority to a CEO/President, who then delegates that to various employees, including, in this case, a General Manager.

I didn’t vote on the Burnett deal, but I did recently cast my vote online for the Packer board of directors.

AS a fan of another team, did you get to vote for your management? I didn’t think so.

39. moezilla says:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:37 AM
    ———————————————————-Yes, Forbes just put the Vikings somewhere in the 20′s or 30′s just yesterday….do you need help with anything else?

35….

40. Somewhere between 20’s and 30’s bigjim? To be exact it is 35 and since you posted your comment I believe you new that but were to emabarrassed to say the vikings are behind Cleveland of all teams. In addition being in the shadow once again of tiny Green Bay.

41. immafubared says: Jul 15, 2013 7:14 PM

No defense, no offensive line protection. OOPs
    ———————————————————-
    Funny, everyone has you as an idiot.

42. jrmbadger says:
    Jul 16, 2013 11:50 AM
    entitledpackersfan says:Jul 15, 2013 10:13 PM

==============================

—-
    You cast just one vote? What kind of fan are you? I have like 23 votes because I am an awesome entitled packers fan!

43. @ 13forgbp & Bigjim

What are you talking about fellas? I am wearing my big styrofoam cheesehead right as we speak!!! My Brett Favre Jersey (purple of course), and my favorite State Farm Insurance pen is writing my fantasy cheat sheet as we speak, with our favorite Packer QB leading the group! I cannot wait for the season to start! Who else is sooooo tired of hearing about the Jets(Sanchez), Colin Kap, the Pouncy Twins, and of course, Wyatt “Hernandez” Earp!! C’mon, next thing you know we will have annoying Viking fans saying, they will take the Division, and knocking the packers out of the Playoffs!!! I mean, we can stop AP can’t we??? I hope so, I mean, he is the best ever!

44. Yes, Forbes just put the Vikings somewhere in the 20′s or 30′s just yesterday….do you need help with anything else?
    ………………………………………………………………………
    Somewhere between 20′s and 30′s bigjim? To be exact it is 35 and since you posted your comment I believe you new that but were to emabarrassed to say the vikings are behind Cleveland of all teams. In addition being in the shadow once again of tiny Green Bay.
    ………………………………………………………………………
    Using this Viking`s fan`s math, the Vikings have also won somewhere between 0 and 4 Superbowls. Don`t think it is Packer fans who need help with anything else.