Victor Cruz: I want to be a role model, Zimmerman tweet was wrong

victor-cruz Getty Images

Shortly after George Zimmerman was acquitted of all charges connected to the death of Trayvon Martin, Giants receiver Victor Cruz wrote on Twitter, “Zimmerman doesn’t last a year before the hood catches up with him.”

Cruz deleted that tweet, and on the Dan Patrick Show on Monday Cruz said he wishes he hadn’t allowed the emotions of the moment to get the best of him.

“I was a little angry, because as a father you think about if that was your son, if that was your kid that that happened to,” Cruz said. “I put the tweet out there, and once I put it out, I was like, man, that’s not the right thing to say. There’s kids that follow me and I don’t want them to think I’m trying to incite violence on anyone. Those aren’t my intentions, I’m not that type of guy. Where I come from, I heard violence outside my window each and every day. I don’t want to be someone to promote that even more.”

Cruz said he thought about his young fans when he decided to delete his tweet.

“Kids look up to me and I’m a role model to these kids and I don’t want them to think that what I wrote was OK, what I wrote was something that should be done or something that’s positive in our community, because it’s really not,” Cruz said.

Feelings about the Zimmerman verdict are understandably raw. Cruz is a big man to deal forthrightly with his mistake.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Victor Cruz: I want to be a role model, Zimmerman tweet was wrong”
  1. sergisbauer says: Jul 15, 2013 12:43 PM

He can delete the tweet and apologize, but he can’t undo the fact that he’s shown himself to be a complete idiot: “In order to fight vigilantism, let’s encourage vigilantism!”

2. bennyb82 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:45 PM

I bet if the media stopped focusing so much on the racial aspects of a situation, that we would live in a world that is more accepting. If Zimmerman was indeed profiling Trayvon, he probably learned that from the media`s portrayal. This case should not have been as much about race as it should be about self-defense when someone is the instigator.

3. laxman1944 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:46 PM

Sorry Victor, first reactions are your true feelings….

4. whatnojets says: Jul 15, 2013 12:46 PM

The fact is that Zimmerman was found not guilty by six honest, respectable women (also mothers)

Like it or not, that’s the facts

5. surfinbird1 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:46 PM

Still trying to get that damn toothpaste back in the tube.

6. ozymandias121 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:49 PM

This guy gets dumber by the day LOL.

7. logast says: Jul 15, 2013 12:49 PM

At least he owned up to his idiotic statement like a rational person would. Everyone has at some point and time said something before thinking it out. That said, there is a flawed mentality that Cruz has if that was his first inclination.

8. wisportsfanpbbb says: Jul 15, 2013 12:50 PM

If you want to be a role model steer clear of Twitter…

9. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jul 15, 2013 12:51 PM

I don’t think he was inciting violence, I think he was just stating a fact. Given the way almost everyone in the media and even the DOJ have spread misinformation about this case, it’s going to be almost impossible for Zimmerman to survive. I wish people would think about the fact that Zimmerman has parents and a family, too.

10. blahblahblah1313 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:52 PM

Oftentimes our initail reaction is a true barometer of what we really think. before we have a chance to think about how it will impact our image/earning power etc. Right Victor? I guess he remembered he signed a l contract to stay in NY for the marketing potential. And liberal NY wouldn’t want him to advocate violence just because the judicial system returned a verdict after considering ALL the evidence (not just that the victim was African American) and Victor disagreed with it.

11. nflofficeadmin says: Jul 15, 2013 12:52 PM

He’s human, he makes mistakes.

12. pdidit09 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:53 PM

Cruz is not an idiot. He made a bad decision in tweeting his emotions without thinking about consequences. He apologized. That is good enough for me.

13. mshawn75 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:56 PM

Yea, he’s a “big man”. Lets put him up for sainthood. All that he did was try to retract HIS feelings after HIS agent and publicist called him.

14. hammerhead5573 says: Jul 15, 2013 12:56 PM

In other words, the Giants brass told him to shut up and apologize. Yup, I’m going to believe him now…… Not

15. thechronicjoker says: Jul 15, 2013 12:58 PM

Just get off your high horse, those who have to claim ” I want to be a role model” usually aren’t. Just donate your time and money anonymously.

16. jstdad says: Jul 15, 2013 12:59 PM

Well….Truth came out. His initial tweet displayed a typical ghetto attitude. Where was his indignation when OJ was acquitted? He just lost millions in product endorsement deals, so that’s why his handlers are making him back track. That’s the disingenuous part. I’m sorry he’s still a Giant now.

17. Prognosis Negative says: Jul 15, 2013 1:00 PM

Cruz, the only way what happened to Martin could possibly happen to your kids is if they attack someone with a gun and repeatedly smash their head against the sidewalk and tell them they are about to die tonight. If you teach your kids not do that, given the type of neighborhoods they will likely grow up in, you should have nothing to worry about.

18. tydatank says: Jul 15, 2013 1:03 PM

I am going to use “forthrightly” on every email I send at work today…

19. boomsauce7 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:03 PM

Sorry Victor. If you spent as much time studying the FACTS of this case as you have tweeting and then dealing with your tweets, you might have saved yourself this mistake. Don’t worry, we’ll forget about it in no time.

20. blkdogcreative says: Jul 15, 2013 1:04 PM

Think before you tweet!

21. z06vision says: Jul 15, 2013 1:04 PM

The NFL is full of clowns like cruz, puncey twins, pacman and others. What a joke of a league. Cruz is just another clown.

22. straightcash84 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:06 PM

I know this is a sensitive topic but what would you say if it were your kid getting pummeled? You would want him/her to to everything they could to survive and get out of the situation. There is no winner or losers in a case like this.

23. 1590t says: Jul 15, 2013 1:08 PM

Too Late

24. patriotenvy says: Jul 15, 2013 1:08 PM

The “hood” is too busy killing each other while you go on ignoring all those black on black mursders.
    Hopefully you teach your kid that he can’t go around pummel people because he doesn’t like the way they look or are acting.

25. blacknole08 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:09 PM

Bottom line is that you should not make assumptions without at least hearing the evidence. Justice is about the process NOT the outcome. Zimmerman got a fair trial and a fair decision.

Those who suggest otherwise either did not watch or just refuse to listen to facts!

26. tombradyswig says: Jul 15, 2013 1:11 PM

shut up and catch the ball, that is all! you’re not paid to preach!!

27. ilovefoolsball says: Jul 15, 2013 1:13 PM

did he use the hashtage #nojustice?

If so then he’s excused as that hashtag means that whatever accompanies the containing tweet is a joke, or it should be.

28. spedman24 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:14 PM

Cruz is lower than low. On the radio he said he didn’t tweet it, “a friend did”, yet this story says he did it — liar.

29. denverwally says: Jul 15, 2013 1:17 PM

No, Cruz is not a big man. He is an idiot and a coward. His true feelings were shown in his initial tweet. He wants Zimmerman murdered, nothing short of that would satisfy him. Where is his outrage at all the young black men killed in our cities every minute of every day? Where are the tweets about that? Is not a black man killed by another black just as dead as a black man killed by a white?
    He is an idiot for publically showing his true feelings, and knowing that he has thousands of followers who could heed his words.
    He is a coward for then backing off, acting like they really are not his true feelings. A little criticism and he backs down.

30. bengalee28 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:19 PM

Moral of the story – Never vent in public or private when you’re angry. It NEVER works out well. With that said, let me see how some of you would respond if that was your son or brother laying there on the ground. Cruz wasn’t reacting as a football player when that verdict came out…he was responding as a father. The statement was pure silliness but the emotion was real. Given the circumstances, I’m good with the apology.

31. Walter Sobchak says: Jul 15, 2013 1:20 PM

Too late….

32. somekat says: Jul 15, 2013 1:21 PM

What Cruz “wants” is irrelevant. He is a scum bag, and has proven it with his own idiotic posts.

Back tracking just proves he also has no spine

33. stevieb10 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:22 PM

Gotta love pre written statements by team publicists. The giants had to act quick on this one. One day teams will figure a way to keep players off social media all they do is create negative attention.

34. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: Jul 15, 2013 1:22 PM

Your head is in the right spot Victor. Classy man.

To anyone who is upset with Cruz, I get it, but he’s right, the hood is gonna catch up with this guy.

35. sandersmarcus10 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:24 PM

Its funny how everyone on this post hasnt done ONE thing wrong in there lifes! But yet yall call him a idiot and fool and ghetto. This is america where you can say what you want and do what you want like follow people around and kill them but yall worried about what HE SAID GTFOH!!!

36. damcmp says: Jul 15, 2013 1:26 PM

thats the attitude that got Martin killed..you racist keep racism alive and well in the hood

37. johndont says: Jul 15, 2013 1:31 PM

Cruz, is that a white hood or a black hood ?

38. denverwally says: Jul 15, 2013 1:31 PM

Many of us ARE fathers and grandfathers, and we are just fine with the verdict. None of you (or us) have any proof this was anything but self defense, what the jury decided. THEY sat in the court and heard every bit of evidence presented, theories, witnesses. THEY said this was not murder. THEY said this was not manslaughter.

Now the race warriors are going to jump in and demand their pound of flesh in this. If there was no racial strife, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would start some.
    It’s their bread and butter.

39. tmitch215 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:33 PM

It’s not like no one else shared those thoughts after the verdict, hell the Black Panthers put a bounty on Zimmerman, so Cruz was almost right in some ways. Not the smartest thing to say, but I don’t think it deserves much attention

40. johndont says: Jul 15, 2013 1:33 PM

I am going to use “forthrightly” on every email I send at work today…

41. larrydavid7000 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:36 PM

This loser team gives a third rated WR a huge amount of money and this is how this D-BAG repays his team. Nice going O its just money right. This WR would not make the 5 WR on my team.!!!!!!

42. jwcarlson says: Jul 15, 2013 1:36 PM

How long before there’s no longer “live” tweeting? There’s a delay for live TV/radio because you can’t trust grown adult celebrities/personalities to not be complete morons on TV. This isn’t a whole heck of a lot different.

Personally, I don’t want to see it happen. But I could very easily see the NYG PR group wishing they’d have had a few minutes to take a peek at what Mr. Cruz posted before it went “live”.

43. lightcleric says: Jul 15, 2013 1:38 PM

“I put the tweet out there, and once I put it out, I was like, man, that’s not the right thing to say. ”

This is why Twitter needs a “Celebrity mode” that makes celebrities re-type what they want to tweet like 5 times so they have to think about what they’re typing.

44. azarkhan says: Jul 15, 2013 1:41 PM

Roddy White and Victor Cruz prove once again that for blacks, it’s always about race, never about justice.

45. barrywhererufrom says: Jul 15, 2013 1:42 PM

ok now you feel the repercussions and you want to take back your true feelings..I don’ t think so pal..let’s see your boy Pat Hanlon pull you out of this crap..

46. sidepull says: Jul 15, 2013 1:47 PM

People who make racially based comments rarely make for good role models.

47. gsomatt says: Jul 15, 2013 1:48 PM

Hoist the BS flag.

That was his PR rep writing that. The initial tweet was the real Cruz.

48. bengalee28 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:50 PM

@denverwally – if you understood the definition of racial profiling, you would understand what was tremendously wrong with Zimmerman’s actions. He acted on the profile that was biased based on race only, no crime. Jury made a decision based on the skills of the lawyers and the law and that’s cool but the basis of Zimmerman’s actions was blatantly wrong. As far as Trayvon’s response, try this exercise. Today, I challenge you to follow any person of any race or sex for an extended period of time. When they realize you’re following them, let me know how that interaction goes.

49. mjzaky says: Jul 15, 2013 1:51 PM

In fairness, he didn’t say he hoped it would happen. He just predicted that the hood would catch up with him.

Reading comprehension, folks.

50. glac1 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:54 PM

the cat’s out of the bag. We now know what the true Cruz is like!

51. getyourownname says: Jul 15, 2013 1:55 PM

It was a mistake for him to make his original tweet.

However, usually a PR-generated apology is written out and not delivered by personal interview where you have to answer questions. His comments read like what someone would really say in such a stituation. I don’t know what else someone who realized he made a mistake would say.

Maybe this is all PR, but I would like to see more evidence of that before concluding his retraction was insincere.

52. kev86 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:56 PM

CRUUUUUUUUUUUZ!! See you on Sundays real soon champ! GO GIANTS!

53. mjzaky says: Jul 15, 2013 1:57 PM

Lol @ Larry David. Victor Cruz couldn’t be the 5th WR on your team? Are you talking about the All-NFL team you created on Madden? Because Victor Cruz is the #1 receiver on the vast majority of NFL rosters by default.

For fun, the only teams he wouldn’t be the #1 on:

Bengals
    Broncos
    Panthers
    Bucs
    Cards
    Chiefs
    Cowboys
    Falcons
    Lions
    Texans
    and of course, the Giants.

54. wgray981 says: Jul 15, 2013 1:57 PM

Oh a big name NFL player from the black hood promoting violence? Haven’t heard that story before…

55. jdvalk says: Jul 15, 2013 1:59 PM

Save the big man description. A big man listens to the calls for calm ahead of time and doesn’t throw fire on a tinderbox. Every person in a situation that turns mobbish can point to emotions afterwards, but the true big men don’t give in to those impulses and thus don’t become part of a situation that could lead to the same sort of injustice they feel has occurred.

56. jetsarestacked says: Jul 15, 2013 1:59 PM

“Where was his indignation when OJ was acquitted?”

probably in elementary school and still playing with toys without a worry in the world let alone oj and that trial.

ps

zimmerman is wife beating, cop assaulting, child molesting killer. he sure does have a lot more supporters than cruz does. you know, a young man guilty of just tweeting something stupid. ohhhh the humanity!

57. justintuckrule says: Jul 15, 2013 2:00 PM

Listen to everyone on their high horses. If Cruz’ comment regarding the “hood coming after Zimmerman” didn’t cross your minds, you’re lying. It’s the first thing I thought of when the verdict was read. Just admit you guys hate all things Giants and were waiting anxiously for a Giant miss-step during the slow news cycle. Well, you got it. If it’s the worst thing that happens to us, I’ll take it.

By the way…to the Einstein who asked why didn’t Cruz comment after OJ was acquitted. Cruz was 8 at the time.

58. packerman1968 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:06 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted he wants to be a “role model”

59. jdphx says: Jul 15, 2013 2:07 PM

Hmm… reputation.. public’s view of me.. status in
    the #1 market.. am I a role model.. opportunity
    to cash, away from football options..

Slowly the pieces come together for Victor.

60. swagger52 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:17 PM

It is great to see Big CONTRACTS signed in the NFL, because then you can see what somebody really thinks, versus what they are coached to think.

61. ltpm3 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:17 PM

Weren’t those roughly the same words that
    Aaron Hernandez quoted just a year ago?
    He wanted to be a role model?

62. djlexluger says: Jul 15, 2013 2:19 PM

It’s over Victor the laws weren’t meant to protect people with dark skin.

63. swagger52 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:19 PM

This message has been brought to you by Victor Cruz of NY Giants

The official spokesman of the “Hood”

64. swagger52 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:20 PM

Donovan McNabb thinks that the Hood is overrated.

65. jasonrb says: Jul 15, 2013 2:25 PM

bengalee28 says:Jul 15, 2013 1:50 PM

@ bengalee28, this comment is absolutely wrong. Zimmerman did not act based on race, he acted based on the actions of Travon in an area where crime has seen a recent increase.

I will say, as for your challenge, it someone followed me and then asked what I was doing, my reaction certainly wouldn’t be to strike them. I might find it odd, I might even ask them first what they were doing, but that scenario would not result in a fight.

This situation is tragic, and I truly feel sad for the Martin family. It was also tragic for Zimmerman and his family. There is no winner here, the only thing that would have made this whole situation worse would have been a guilty verdict.

66. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 15, 2013 2:25 PM

Then be a role model and speak out about the injustice done to Trayvon Martin and call for action to find those that do deserve blame for this and campaign against them and demand social change so that other lives in the future.

You still owe Mr. Zimmerman an apology for still insinuating that he did anything wrong. And all of those kids are now being misled as to how to go about defining what right and wrong are. They are confused because of your tweet, and you need to fix that.

67. thethunderofgunns says: Jul 15, 2013 2:30 PM

The only ‘kid’ in all this is Cruz. Amazed the vast majority of the pics of Trayvon were of him as a 12 year old kid, NOT of who he was at the time of this sad incident. He attacked and paid an eternal price — and now insert a race baiting administration.

68. mjdkid100 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:44 PM

whatnojets says:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:46 PM

Like it or not, that’s the facts

—————–

This is hilarious now that were finding out some info about the jurors.

The trial was a joke and lacked any common sense whatsoever. In no way were Zimmermans injuries life threatening, and he took it upon himself to kill a 17 yea old kid.

69. kev86 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:46 PM

In my view, Cruz is a SB champion thatbleeds blue on Sundays. From a distance, I think he is a pretty good kid and I’m rooting for him to have a great season. I dont follow his tweets. GO GIANTS! BIG BLUE!

70. mjdkid100 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:47 PM

————————–

The problem is, youve made this up and taken one side of the story. You have no idea if Trayvon hit Martin first. none of us do, cause the 2nd side of the story was dead. Zimmerman could hae said whatever he wanted to say. No challenge.

My questions is, If Zimmerman was “punched 25 times and head smashed into concrete 25 times.”

Where are the rest of his injuries?

Bottom line he panicked and killed a kid. He was a wanna be cop, who waled around with a gun policing the neighborhood. That’s not his right.

But as we know Zim would say…”these a$$holes alwasy get away.”

Sounds like Zim was looking for a confrontation.

71. ccjcsr says: Jul 15, 2013 2:48 PM

Apology must be for the Sponsors as he already made his $$ by signing the latest deal the the crappy Giants.

#CowboysNation

72. bengalee28 says: Jul 15, 2013 2:55 PM

@thestrategyexpert you can not follow someone based on the general description of individuals that previously committed crimes in an area. Just because previous black men committed crimes in an area doesn’t mean Trayvon was committing a crime UNLESS you saw him do so. That’s the basis of racial profiling and this was NOT tried in the case. If the feds bring up charges against Zimmerman, he’ll have to prove he didn’t profile and we all know he did…lawyers said so. So Zimmerman has a long way to go before he gets an apology from anybody. At a minimum he gonna lose a civil suit because he’s already admitted intent.

73. kurmudge says: Jul 15, 2013 2:58 PM

So now I have to be sure to avoid watching the Giants, along with boycotting ESPN, because two idiots (Cruz and Olbermann) can’t stick to what they are paid to do and shut up about things they don’t know anything about or shut up about politics when doing sports shows? This is after already avoiding the most pompous a$$ of them all, Costas?

Victor, let us know after you have completed your first criminal law class and actually know something about prosecuting homicide cases.

Good grief.

74. bbk1000 says: Jul 15, 2013 3:06 PM

When I first heard about these tweets I saw they were made by Marcus Vick, Roddy White and Victor Cruz. For some reason Cruz surprised me.

Marcus Vick? I don’t do the Twitter thing, but if I did I certainly would not be following Marcus Vick.

I think Vick and Roddy White had a combined Wonderlic score of 15. They are stupid people. Stupid people say (or tweet) stupid things, big surprise.

I guess Cruz falls into this category as his ignorant tweet demonstrates. To be honest, his tweet was almost inciting something to happen to Zimmerman, which is more than just stupid.

Dumb, dumber and dumbest, in real life.

75. jayniner says: Jul 15, 2013 3:11 PM

Lesson learned from this: Don’t drink and Tweet….or text…..or post on Facebook.

76. truths4all says: Jul 15, 2013 3:24 PM

Cruz, you sent out Bad Karma and once gone, Bad Karma tends to come back around. Better look over your shoulder while out on the football field, as Bad Karma may make your new NFL contract into a Not For Long contract after opposing players plant you into the ground and the NFL Hood changes your health to where you can’t play good enough anymore. Whatcha gonna tell mama when Campbell Soups cancels your commercials?

77. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 15, 2013 3:30 PM

bengalee28:

As MJDKid pointed out, you can indeed follow somebody. Zimmerman was trying to protect his family and fulfill duties as a concerned neighborhood watch person. There’s also a lot more history on Zimmerman’s basis for having a concern that you never got to hear in court. He was brave for trying to be the eyes and ears on the ground, and in a legal manner despite the fact that he could have been at risk if Trayvon Martin broke the law and attacked him which he did. Zimmerman had every right to expect Trayvon Martin to not violate the law, and when he did to Zimmerman’s surprise, he had no choice but to defend himself from his attacker.

78. melikefootball says: Jul 15, 2013 3:40 PM

Aren’t we tired yet of always giving these guys the excuse they are young kids when there actions show how not very smart they really are.

79. rb619 says: Jul 15, 2013 4:17 PM

Cruz is a “big man”?? Another apologist for Cruz? How about a little more objectivity?

80. robertgriffintheturd says: Jul 15, 2013 5:44 PM

What a bunch of hypocrites! anyone remember when people celebrated in the streets over O.J’s Not Guilty verdict? Every NFL player interviewed at that time supported O.J 100%. Glad they play football and aren’t in positions of authority.

81. mudhead123 says: Jul 15, 2013 6:14 PM

I like everyone giving him a pass since he isn’t white. Yet supporting the verdict is racists, right?

82. 6stn says: Jul 15, 2013 10:23 PM

And in cities across the country, blacks continue to shoot blacks as if it’s a carnival. No outrage there. No snitching.

83. patriotenvy says: Jul 15, 2013 10:36 PM

The tweet actual started “thoroughly confused.” but that was left out of this story. I think that part says it all. UMASS should have sent him home more.

84. besdayz says: Jul 15, 2013 10:42 PM

Where is the NFL response?

Alleged bounties on the field, no we can’t have that.

But actual bounties on regular people, that’s apparently not worth a mention.

85. roverboy1949 says: Jul 16, 2013 6:44 AM

What if it was Zimmerman who was your son? Just asking.

86. Organic-boy says: Jul 16, 2013 10:42 AM

Delete yourTwitter account Victor and focus on football and keeping your mouth shut on social issues.

You are paid a lot of money to represent the Giants and NFL in a positive way- I’m sure your contract has language to that effect a morality clause.

You demanded to be paid big money to catch footballs and make big plays. When you sign that contract, you move into another realm from the rest of us. You are property of the Giants and the NFL and need to understand that. You are not paid for your public opinion on these matters. You are free to have one, but not broadcast it to the world. Ask Jerry Reese.

“Talk is cheap- play the game”- Tom Couglin (our mantra before you were around)

If there was ever a time to step back, think clearly and act accordingly, this would certainly be it. But thus far, athletes have done the exact opposite and that’s just not what a true role model would do.

87. kingcrusher says: Jul 16, 2013 10:59 AM

If that were my son, I’d be ashamed that I was such a lousy father and that I had created a life in which my son turned to do such horrible things and acted in such horrible ways. If that were my son, I’d be embarrassed to be called a father after the crappy job I did raising my son.

If that were my son, I would have made sure he knew he was valued and loved. If that were my son, I would be an example that my boy could respect and try to emulate in order to be a valued member of society.

People who father and mother children today drive me up a wall. It’s like they have kids to prove they are biologically able to reproduce, and then think that’s parenthood. Sorry, but that’s sperm donation and egg donation. The hard part continues years and years past the act of procreation.

88. jprcox says: Jul 16, 2013 11:24 AM

….”the hood”, you mean black people who will kill GZ because a jury acquitted him?

Doesn’t this say it all about people who are “the hood”??

89. 950003cups says: Jul 16, 2013 11:35 AM

Cruz is a fool. If anything happens to Zimmerman, I would like to call for Cruz’s arrest for calling on his fans to commit murder.

Now it’s time Cruz is arrested for his actions. What he did was dangerous and reckless, and he should immediately be held accountable. Maybe after a few months in the slammer, more idiotiotic ball players and celebrities will wisen up.

90. kingcrusher says: Jul 16, 2013 12:52 PM

Anyone who says “I want to be a role model” is not deserving. A role model is one who lives their life in a way that they are an example to those around them. It’s something you are, not something you just “choose” to be. Sorry, Mr. Cruz, you showed what kind of an example you are by your tweet. That is NOT what I want my kids trying to emulate.

91. openseason51 says: Jul 16, 2013 6:25 PM

His IQ won’t not allow him to work from the private sector once he retires. Maybe he will run for public office. He would fit well.