Skip to content

Bengals make Carlos Dunlap extension official

Carlos Dunlap, Emmanuel Lamur AP

The Bengals officially announced Tuesday that they have agreed on a five-year contract extension with defensive end Carlos Dunlap.

The extension, which Mike Florio of PFT reported on Monday afternoon, will kick in after the 2013 season and will pay Dunlap $40 million if he makes it all the way through the 2018 season with the team under the current deal. The timing of the deal came as a bit of surprise because all eyes were on the franchise-tagged Michael Johnson leading up to Monday’s deadline for Johnson to sign a multi-year deal with the team, but coach Marvin Lewis said it was part of the plan all along.

“One of our key offseason goals was to continue signing and extending our key players, and the signing of Carlos is another positive step,” Lewis said in the team’s release about the deal. “Over his three seasons with us, Carlos has continued to progress and develop. He has demonstrated the ability to be productive as a three-down player, and we are glad to have him committed to be a part of our future.”

It’s expected that defensive tackle Geno Atkins will be next in line for an extension as Cincinnati works on locking up their essential players. Johnson, on the other hand, looks like a strong candidate to hit unrestricted free agency after the 2013 season thanks to the Dunlap deal and the coming need to extend quarterback Andy Dalton and wide receiver A.J. Green.

Permalink 5 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
5 Responses to “Bengals make Carlos Dunlap extension official”
  1. blueballzny says: Jul 16, 2013 12:26 PM

    The Bengals continue to surprise me by doing things the fight way. Peoptle criticized them for not spending during free agency, but this is why they didn’t. They have a bunch of young, good players that they have to lock up. Don’t overlook how important Johnson is to your D though. Without him, Atkins and Dunlap will get a lot more attention.

    If I were s Steelers or Raven fan (or dare I say Brown fan) I would be worried. The only thing keeping Cinn from being a real threat is Dalton.

  2. bengalguy says: Jul 16, 2013 1:42 PM

    Andy Dalton……probably better than your QB……ya just don’t wanna admit it!

  3. jdphx says: Jul 16, 2013 2:19 PM

    Enjoy Geno’s last year in Cincy too…

    Mike Brown doesn’t do “max” deals!

  4. whodey83 says: Jul 16, 2013 3:34 PM

    No way Mikey lets Geno or AJ leave. Unless he plans on ostracizing what’s left of his fan base.

  5. stevelibrandi says: Jul 16, 2013 7:43 PM

    They’ll sign all three, Green Dalton, and Atkins. Margus Hunt, if he doesn’t get injured, is a Geno Atkins/Justin Smith clone, brute strength and sub 4.6 speed will more than replace Johnson.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!