Jon Richardson, son of Panthers owner, dies

richardson_jon_ci

Jon Richardson, the son of Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, has passed away after a long battle with cancer. He was 53 years old.

Jon Richardson was the president of the Panthers Stadium LLC, handling the building and grounds during the team’s early years, while his brother Mark worked more closely with the football side. Both sons were fired by their father in 2009, after Jerry Richardson’s heart transplant surgery.

Those who were closest to Jon Richardson marveled at his common touch, and ability to connect with stadium workers from the top to the bottom. When the team eliminated playoff bonuses for team employees during a cost-cutting binge in 2008, he went around to each of his employees (the plumbers, the electricians, the security guards), passing out cash from his pocket and apologizing that he couldn’t do more. It was the kind of genuine gesture he’ll be remembered for.

A former wide receiver at North Carolina, he built his own successful business before joining his father in the mid-1990s. He left behind a wife and three children.

Our deepest condolences go out to the Richardson family.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Jon Richardson, son of Panthers owner, dies”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 16, 2013 1:56 PM

The good die young, Jerry.

2. hewitt52 says: Jul 16, 2013 1:57 PM

This is really sad. He sounds like an awesome guy. It also shows what kind of piece of $hit his father is.

3. tombradyswig says: Jul 16, 2013 1:59 PM

RIP Jon.
    Cancer suks A$$

4. larrydavid7000 says: Jul 16, 2013 2:00 PM

RIP Jon, My sympathy to the whole Panther organization.

5. kane337 says: Jul 16, 2013 2:08 PM

Gone too soon. F U cancer. Best wishes to the Richardson family and the Panthers organization.

6. finfanrod says: Jul 16, 2013 2:14 PM

How very sad. My prayers are with his family and loved ones. Thank you for sharing that gesture as it gives some insight to the man. It’s much better than just a name.

7. glazerh8er says: Jul 16, 2013 2:15 PM

RIP. Passing around cash to your employees during a recession is the anti-Glazer. These kinds of guys are my heros and have true knowledge of the real world and how to operate a hot dog stand.

8. smalltownqb says: Jul 16, 2013 2:17 PM

Can’t wait for the day when battling cancer becomes less about money and more about eradicating the disease.

9. b3nz0z says: Jul 16, 2013 2:33 PM

man you never hear anything positive about people until after they die.

10. wisewoo says: Jul 16, 2013 2:36 PM

@hewitt52
    “It also shows what kind of piece of $hit his father is.”

11. spursareold says: Jul 16, 2013 2:41 PM

“Both sons were fired by their father in 2009, after Jerry Richardson’s heart transplant surgery.”

Who’s heart did he get? Darth Vader?

12. spursareold says: Jul 16, 2013 2:44 PM

“Wow…you literally know nothing.If you did, you’d know that his two sons were squabbling to the detriment of the business and Franchise and that led to both of their forced departures.”

I’m sure that’s what was leaked by dad and the Panthers, but this man who gives out of his own pocket doesn’t sound like a detriment to ANYTHING.

13. coloradofort says: Jul 16, 2013 3:05 PM

I worked with Jon for 5 years in the early days of the Panthers and found him to be always funny and personable.

I will always remember watching him with the clean-up crews helping empty trash cans during the actual football games. You can guarantee you wont see that from many NFL owners family members.

RIP Jon……

14. snakeman40 says: Jul 16, 2013 3:17 PM

Sometimes the apple DOES fall far from the tree….

15. furnhole says: Jul 16, 2013 3:33 PM

RIP. Sounds like he was a good guy.

16. joowishy says: Jul 16, 2013 3:45 PM

Very sad. Honestly people. His Dad may be a jerk, but today his heart is prob broken. Some of you should look in the mirror before you throw stones. Today a Son, Husband, and Father died. We all should show some respect towards the family and let them grieve. I don’t know any of the Richardsons personally, doubt any of you do either. But my heart goes out to them.

17. mase7286 says: Jul 16, 2013 4:27 PM

how can so many people thumbs down condolence comments. Grow up and realize that 3 kids lost their father today. Condolences to the entire family.

18. romoscollarbone says: Jul 16, 2013 4:59 PM

Sad, sounds like a good man.

19. sammyias says: Jul 16, 2013 5:13 PM

Horrible for his children, and family.

I can’t believe the number of thumbs down … I guess we in America really are who the rest of the world think we are. Very sad.

20. hanelson15 says: Jul 16, 2013 5:25 PM

I have known this man for my entire live, we lived a couple of houses apart and our families have always been very close. I grew up with his children always playing with them. I have seen first hand what a great man he is and I loved getting to grow up around him and be around him as an adult. He is truly amazing and while he will be missed I am glad that he will not have to fight anymore after all that he has been through, he put up a great fight. My prayers are with this family. RIP

21. jmb795 says: Jul 16, 2013 5:29 PM

I recall seeing him at Panther games dressed in jeans, talking to the common folk. He was real.
    Godspeed, Jon, and prayers to his family.

22. bullethead527 says: Jul 16, 2013 10:54 PM

Rest In Heaven with Sam Mills.

Keep Pounding!

23. tarheelswh says: Jul 17, 2013 3:10 PM

I knew Jon from college, I was in his suite freshman year at Carolina, and he was truly a genuine and down to earth person who was very nice to everyone. You would never have know his family was so wealthy as he treated everyone with class and dignity. Any father would be proud to have Jon as a son and I am sure he was a great father as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.