Larry Fitzgerald still misses Kurt Warner

Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd AP

Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald has played with a pretty lousy collection of quarterbacks since Kurt Warner retired. So it’s not surprising that Fitzgerald says he still misses Warner, three and a half years after they last played together.

Fitzgerald said on NFL Network that playing with Warner was a great experience for him, and one he still cherishes.

“I was fortunate to have Kurt for so many years,” Fitzgerald said. “He taught me so much not only as a football player but as a man. I truly value the relationship that he’s allowed me to have with him. I miss him dearly but he’s got his nice cushy chair at NFL [Network] studios now and he’s having a good time. But I learned a lot. I’ve taken all the lessons I’ve learned from him throughout the years, and try to implement it in my game still to this day.”

But Fitzgerald says the Cardinals’ new quarterback, Carson Palmer, has the ability to lead Arizona to the Super Bowl.

“He’s demanding, he holds everybody accountable; he has great leadership ability, he has a really even-keeled disposition but he really cares,” Fitzgerald said of Palmer. “He’s passionate about it, he wants to be good and that attitude is infectious among our group. It’s great to have that leader in our huddle and all of the guys are chomping at the bit to catch some passes from him this season.”

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Larry Fitzgerald still misses Kurt Warner”
  1. packerbackernj says: Jul 17, 2013 9:39 PM

He has good reason to.

2. toonloonboon says: Jul 17, 2013 9:41 PM

hey larry…if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it

3. bennyb82 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:43 PM

I hope Fitzgerald has an opportunity one day to play with Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Manning, Roethlesburger, Stafford, Ryan, Kaepernick, RG3, Wilson, Cutler, Schaub, Flacco or Dalton

4. theecowardlylion says: Jul 17, 2013 9:46 PM

reading between the mandatory niceties about Palmer I read this to say….. Warner = overdelivered, all heart. Palmer = the king of under-delivery and absence of heart.

5. corny715 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:47 PM

Please don’t compare Palmer to Warner ….

6. darkneptune73 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:47 PM

I’d feel bad too knowing Kurt Warner was the last QB to take your team to the playoffs.

7. stlunatik says: Jul 17, 2013 9:49 PM

Fitz is awesome to watch, I just wish he could play with a really good qb before he retires.

8. logicalvoicesays says: Jul 17, 2013 9:58 PM

COME TO WASHINGTON DC AND PLAY WITH A REAL QUARTERBACK NAMED ROBERT GRIFFIN THE 3RD. #RG3urrection

9. moerawn says: Jul 17, 2013 10:01 PM

With the right QB, Fitzgerald could have surpassed Rice.

10. str8cashomie17 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:02 PM

I still think Carson can play, and I’m a Raider fan. However he is a quitter and Arizona will come to find out he can’t get in the end zone.

11. doe22us says: Jul 17, 2013 10:03 PM

Sorry Larry, it still will not get better under Pick 6 though its a slight upgrade from the scrubs you have been used too.

12. red2616 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:05 PM

Funny how you have fitzy saying one day he loves Palmer. During the same multi person interview you have a person that mentions Watner, then one that says who do you like better? Fitzy doing the prifessional thing saying “I am ver happy and lucky to have Palmer but if course I miss Kurt. Who wouldn’t?”
    With that you have a idiot reporter that has to take a great answer and spinning it into controversy. Sad really reporters are. He wasn’t dismissing or putting down Palmer in any way. He sees a great opportunity but this JOff has to spin it. Fitzy like Palmer ACCEPT IT!

13. computojon says: Jul 17, 2013 10:05 PM

As a Ram fan, I watched every play 1999-2001, and I’ve never seen another QB with such cutting-edge boldness and pinpoint accuracy. It wasn’t just the Greatest Show on Turf, it was the Greatest Show, period.

14. sportsbastard says: Jul 17, 2013 10:11 PM

Cry me a river Larry. Sincerely, Torry Holt/Isaac Bruce

15. skinsfan91 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:18 PM

How long was Kurt the starter? Two years? “So many years … “

16. cardsfann1 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:21 PM

So do I. So do I…

17. michaeljacksonisback says: Jul 17, 2013 10:22 PM

Hey Larry, now you know how Rams Fans feel.

18. steelers88 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:23 PM

Why doesn’t Fitzgerald reguest a trade? I mean if his not happy where he is than get out.

19. bugorfeature says: Jul 17, 2013 10:23 PM

Cardinals in SuperBowl? Yeah, right.

49ers and Seahawks are probably top 5 teams in NFL – some experts have them 1 and 2 in whichever order. The Rams had the best record inside the NFC West. They play all these teams twice.

I get that Arizona could be a much better team but not likely playoff team.

20. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:28 PM

You have to wonder how much better his stats would be if he had a quarterback like Montana or rice throwing him the ball every single year…similar to randy moss.

21. asimonetti88 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:35 PM

The Cardinals are talking a big game this offseason. They will be improved but are they really going to be able to contend in a division with the 49ers and Seahawks?

22. delusionalcardsfan says: Jul 17, 2013 10:47 PM

Larry is the franchise and he deserves to get back to the mountain top. RISE UP RED SEA!GO CARDS!

23. thewarrenmoon says: Jul 17, 2013 10:47 PM

McPuke was quoted as saying that he doesn’t think that Warner is a hall of famer. Must be bitter about always losing in the NFC title games to him. That and the fact that he is a delusional fool.

24. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 17, 2013 10:50 PM

Question for Cardinals fans, what would you trade for Stafford, or would you rather not deal and keep Carson if you had the choice?

25. footballisfun says: Jul 17, 2013 10:58 PM

I’m sure the entire organization does.

26. hildezero says: Jul 17, 2013 10:59 PM

Hope Palmer has a great season. If he does, the Cards might go to the playoffs for sure.

27. jethrie says: Jul 17, 2013 11:01 PM

“Champing,” not “chomping.” It is an equestrian term.

28. silverandblack052099 says: Jul 17, 2013 11:12 PM

Palmer is a bum!

29. bkh405 says: Jul 17, 2013 11:13 PM

I’ve missed Kurt ever since the ‘glorious strategist’ Mike Martz rode him out of St. Louis. You ain’t alone Fitz.

30. yotheorangedog says: Jul 17, 2013 11:31 PM

Fitzgerald should play for the Patriots! That would be great!

31. fordmandalay says: Jul 17, 2013 11:43 PM

“If Palmer is only the second-best quarterback Fitzgerald has played with, the Cardinals can live with that.”
    - better than Derek Anderson, Matt Leinhart, Max Hall, Ryan Shipley, Jon Skelton… the definition of damning with faint praise.

32. dmq13 says: Jul 17, 2013 11:56 PM

If we’re all really honest here, saying Carson Palmer is the 2nd best QB since Kurt Warner left still isnt saying a whole lot!

33. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 18, 2013 12:25 AM

LOL

34. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 18, 2013 12:25 AM

Sorry, but if Anquan Boldin said Flacco was the best QB he has ever played with, what does that say about Warner? LOL!

35. tigershark49 says: Jul 18, 2013 12:27 AM

As a 49ers fan, i don’t.

36. tigershark49 says: Jul 18, 2013 12:29 AM

Arizona’s offense looks much improved this year, on paper.

37. viachicago22 says: Jul 18, 2013 12:30 AM

Poor guy went from Warner to Ryan Lindley with John Skelton in between. Yeesh.

38. bauldrdash says: Jul 18, 2013 12:46 AM

But does he miss Webster’s Mom?

39. softhelmet says: Jul 18, 2013 1:06 AM

Palmer might be the second best QB that Fitzgerald has played with, but Larry is by far the best receiver that Palmer has ever had as an option.

40. 1pwrightt says: Jul 18, 2013 1:10 AM

I live in Phoenix and have no idea who our quarterback was the last two years. That’s how bad it is since Kurt left.

41. wayne1693 says: Jul 18, 2013 1:30 AM

It is very wishful thinking to believe a one-year-older, relatively immobile CP is going to get the job done against increasingly smarter, faster, more athletic defenses.

42. channer81 says: Jul 18, 2013 1:33 AM

Sucks that a talent like LF was wasted on crappy QB’s in Arizona pre and post KW..Not to mention when his body of work is presented for a HOF bid years from now, find me a skeptic who isn’t going to hold those years he had a crappy QB against him.

43. arrogantnation says: Jul 18, 2013 1:41 AM

Too bad he’s wasted away a few years in his prime with garbage at QB. Hope he regains vintage Larry form this season.

44. waterfalldungeon says: Jul 18, 2013 1:48 AM

FYI: It’s called “Champing” at the bit. Not “Chomping”.

45. dannyreneau says: Jul 18, 2013 3:11 AM

This guy is total class. One of only a few guys in the NFL that I truly respect. And that is coming from a Seahawks fan.

46. justinstuckrule says: Jul 18, 2013 3:32 AM

It was a very bad day when the Giants let Kurt Warner go. The Giants did have Eli Manning waiting in the wings but I wonder how different things could have been with Kurt Warner. The Giants might have won a couple of Super Bowls with Warner as their QB. Coughlin made a mistake benching Warner with the Giants at 5-4.

47. truths4all says: Jul 18, 2013 3:45 AM

Yes, Larry, but can Palmer be creative and come up with new plays each week designed to attack the upcoming opponent’s weaknesses just as Warner did while he was with the Cards? Any QB who has such a vast knowledge of defenses and a command of their offensive skills brings extra special headaches to the other team’s defensive coordinator and defensive players. As everyone has seen since Warner left, Whisenhunt’s offense was very predictable and very easy for the other team to defense which also meant it was easy for the defense to attack the Cards QBs since they would be trying to run the same offensive sets week in and week out. Cards players and fans shoule thank the football gods that the Whisenhunt wreck is long gone.

If Palmer can emulate Warner in this area, then and only then will Palmer begin to approach Warner’s effectiveness and lead the Cards back to the Super Bowl.

48. bonniebengal says: Jul 18, 2013 5:55 AM

And the minute Carson Palmer has to face any kind of difficulty or has a bad day, he’ll be off to greener pastures.

49. mittywalter says: Jul 18, 2013 6:33 AM

Kurt Warner has 3000 more total yards than Carson Palmer in less pass attempts. He’s always been surrounded by great talent though.

50. eagleswin says: Jul 18, 2013 7:54 AM

Ouch. I don’t think anyone characterized Palmer like that in Oakland.

Honestly, the biggest improvement will be on the offensive line. With a better offensive line the QB play will improve. I’m not sure what the problem was but with Whisenhunt the problem with the oline got worse every year.

51. sweepleft44 says: Jul 18, 2013 7:58 AM

I believe all football fans miss Kurt Warner. Classy, Integrity, Values, and Morals. Probably one of the best examples of a man playing football and living his life in the right way.

52. Neftali Ramos says: Jul 18, 2013 8:09 AM

If I were him I’d miss him too

53. ccjcsr says: Jul 18, 2013 8:30 AM

The Title should say “Larry Fitzgerald still misses having a solid QB”

#ATNA

54. stlramsdomination says: Jul 18, 2013 8:43 AM

Join the club, Larry. We’re called St. Louis Rams fans.

55. rutchaser says: Jul 18, 2013 8:50 AM

I usually agree with everything Fitz says but as a Bengals fan I can tell you Palmer does NOT have great leadership abilities.

56. myeaglescantwin says: Jul 18, 2013 9:59 AM

when carson had weapons he was a top 5 QB in most statistics.

he has a decent stable of RBs
    he has two beast WR’s in Fitz and Floyd
    and that OL isn’t tooooooooo terrible.

he should be at least a top 10 qb

57. coachbeck says: Jul 18, 2013 11:34 AM

CP will do well in AZ. He is a lead by example guy. Fitz has the locker room so it will be good for CP. he is level headed and calm. Will be a good fit for all.

As a bengals fan I wish him well.

58. jprcox says: Jul 18, 2013 3:52 PM

If Cards were in any other division I really think they would be a playoff team. Unfortunately for them, they are in a division with SF, SEA, and STL. A second very unfortunate reality is that all those teams a very young.

For the next 3-4 years Cards will be battling for #3 stop in the division. Carson will not bring them a Superbowl.

59. red2616 says: Jul 18, 2013 4:11 PM

I am astonished by the ineptitude of some of these comments. Some of you didn’t get anything of what Larry said, some blamed me for what a reporter asked. One quoted lyrics. “Put a ring on it” LOL. IF you zoom in on Holmes feet and when he had possession Larry DID win a ring but you can’t live in the past. Name the number of teams that have a ring? Seahawks are not one of them.
    Some said don’t compare Warner to Palmer. #1 I didn’t, the reporter did and I expounded off of that. comparing players. Turn on ESPN and try making it 5 minutes without hearing someone compare players. Isn’t that what you and everyone does every game, every year and every fantasy football draft? Did you miss the top 100 players? Isn’t that a comparison? AND again, I am not the one that posed the question. A reporter did. Larry had a great response.
    The funniest thing of ALL this is that when Warner got to the Cards, people said the same thing (and worse) then what they are saying about Palmer. If Palmer plays 80% of what Warner did and 4,000 yards with the Raiders shows he can, then the Cards can bad a force.

It is slowing down now since reporters and people are watching practice and can see the chemistry and possibility of the offense. But normal bloggers on here only read about their own team and don’t get a full understanding of what other teams are doing, read more than one article or ignore what other reporters are saying on TV when discussed.

The season hasn’t started. Give it until week 6 then you can start saying who sucks. To the “put a ring on it guy” Why do I have a feeling you own the outfit? LOL