Olbermann returns to ESPN on August 26

Olbermann Getty Images

When word for broke of a potential return by Keith Olbermann, the situation was described as “very fluid.”  It didn’t take long for the fluid to turn to concrete.

ESPN has announced the Olbermann’s new show, Olbermann, will debut August 26 at 11:00 p.m. ET on ESPN2, the sister network Olbermann helped launch in 1993.  Some think the looming arrival of FOX Sports 1 helped throw ESPN and Olbermann back together.

“Apart from the opportunity to try to create a nightly hour of sports television that no fan can afford to miss, I’m overwhelmed by the chance to begin anew with ESPN,” Olbermann said in a statement released by ESPN.  “I’ve been gone for 16 years and not one day in that time has passed without someone connecting me to the network.  Our histories are indelibly intertwined and frankly I have long wished that I had the chance to make sure the totality of that story would be a completely positive one.  I’m grateful to friends and bosses — old and new — who have permitted that opportunity to come to pass.  I’m not going to waste it.”

Actually, it’s the second time Olbermann has returned to ESPN.  He previously joined on a regular basis Dan Patrick’s ESPN Radio show in a move that, at the time, was regarded as a full-blown hockey tournament in hell.

The Zamboni has now returned, and regardless of the network on which the show is broadcast it promises to be compelling and thought-provoking TV.

According to Josh Carpenter of SportsBusiness Daily, the show “will focus on the sports news of the night and will include highlights, commentary and guest contributors.”  ESPN president John Skipper said there will be no ban on organic political commentary.  “If politics happens to intersect with sports . . . we would expect Keith to have some point of view there,” Skipper said.

Permalink 105 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
105 Responses to “Olbermann returns to ESPN on August 26”
  1. ecupatsfan12 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:11 PM

Skip Bayless must be so happy to be replaced as the village idiot of ESPN

2. gbrim says: Jul 17, 2013 5:16 PM

In my opinion, politics (of any persuasion) on a sports show are not worth considering. I won’t watch a minute of the new show.

3. 8to80texansblog says: Jul 17, 2013 5:23 PM

Love that guy!!!

4. nepo784 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:28 PM

Just when I thought ESPN couldn’t get any dumber, they go ahead and do something like this…

5. justinstuckrule says: Jul 17, 2013 5:30 PM

Olbermann is the best sports reporter and commentator in history of televsion. I can’t wait to see his new show. Losing him was the worst thing to happen to ESPN. Welcome home!

6. hrmlss says: Jul 17, 2013 5:32 PM

Yet another reason to not watch ESPN.

7. colv says: Jul 17, 2013 5:33 PM

Another reason to stop watching ESPN. Thanks for the incentive not to watch anymore. Skip Bayless is horrible and this guy, well, politics and sports don’t MIX.

8. rc33 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:33 PM

Fox Sports 1 cannot get here fast enough.

9. ickyfreakingwoods says: Jul 17, 2013 5:39 PM

Oh really? Well that is also my birthday so I may or may not watch. Bababooey.

10. asimonetti88 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:41 PM

Awesome. I’ll continue to not watch ESPN.

11. jc327 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:43 PM

Get Dan back and put them on prime time SC and I’ll start watching again. Best duo ever.

12. zombiefan1000 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:45 PM

Im a both a huge sports fan and I also enjoy political discussion as well. Olbermann is incredibly entertaining,controversial and immensely talented. I will def be DVRing his new show! Welcome back, Keith! Oh, and on another note, all of you who write about how “awful” ESPN is need to consider that it is the standard bearer for sports programming. Simple as that. They’re not perfect but give us great programming and commentary on all things sports. I guess all of you who write that never watch “PTI” or “sportscenter” or any of their various other programming.

13. sillec28 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:53 PM

ESPN certainly isn’t awful. But their on-line viewing is going to take a hit now that comments to their stories have to be made on Facebook. The comments were the best part of the site, usually better than the articles that prompted them. But many people aren’t going to join Facebook just to be able to comment on ESPN articles.

14. odenxx says: Jul 17, 2013 5:56 PM

I love how people are saying there not going to watch ESPN because he has a late night talk show about sports. What a joke.

15. nflhof says: Jul 17, 2013 6:05 PM

Just another reason not to watch ESPN

16. fdugrad says: Jul 17, 2013 6:05 PM

I will be watching. KO is controversial, thought-provoking , well-read and witty. I fully understand how some viewers can be annoyed by his style and decide not to tune in. I can also understand folks feeling that he might be overly political and not want to mix their sports with politics, as they feel it is not the proper forum to do so. It is the posters who consider or accuse Keith of being “dumb” that I don’t understand. Olbermann is many, many things, however “DUMB” simply is NOT one of them.

17. eagles512 says: Jul 17, 2013 6:07 PM

I know that’s one show I will never watch.

18. garyman1 says: Jul 17, 2013 6:15 PM

I was REALLY hoping he would end up at the new Fox sports network so he would work for Rupert Murdoch.

19. vincentbojackson says: Jul 17, 2013 6:18 PM

Good get for ESPN. If you don’t think so you’re probably too young to remember Olbermann before he became a political lightening rod. He helped put ESPN, and specifically Sportscenter, on the map.

20. mogogo1 says: Jul 17, 2013 6:21 PM

I don’t see this working. He left ESPN because he thought he was bigger than sports and he hasn’t humbled himself to change his mind about that.

In the 16 years since he left he’s alienated a big chunk of the viewership and by abandoning sports for politics he’s now going to have to hope his current fan base are rabid sports fans who will tune in to see him do highlights. That’s a bad gamble, I think.

21. b00rad says: Jul 17, 2013 6:26 PM

PTI & sporting events are the only time I watch ESPN. Everything else is opinionated dribble.

22. briang123 says: Jul 17, 2013 6:28 PM

I wish they’d bring Tom Mees back. Even now, he would be more interesting.

23. tfppft says: Jul 17, 2013 6:31 PM

ESPN is going downhill in a hurry. Every hire they make seems to be questionable. I’m not sure what audience they are trying to attract. They were a better network 30 years ago than they are now.

24. clayshair says: Jul 17, 2013 6:34 PM

I didn’t think it was possible for espn to get any worse. They have proved me wrong. I despise Olbermann and I now have an active reason to never watch espn again.

25. puckfitt says: Jul 17, 2013 6:36 PM

I can’t believe you guys are hating on KO. He and Dan Patrick were fantastic together. Now lets get Kilborn back too.

26. sportfan2 says: Jul 17, 2013 6:37 PM

Why brings this person back. No one missed him.

27. southpaw79 says: Jul 17, 2013 6:47 PM

Meh, I already do not watch ESPN so I can not use this as an excuse to stop watching. I guess I will just continue to wait for something enjoyable to watch.

28. vincentbojackson says: Jul 17, 2013 6:54 PM

I find it amazing that so many are threatened by one man’s political opinions.

That’s the problem today, nobody can think for them self. They need somebody to constantly reinforce their own viewpoint to make them feel good. When it doesn’t happen people go crazy.

29. stoytashaan says: Jul 17, 2013 7:08 PM

I heard that Joyce Behar and Chris Matthews will be running play-by-play.

30. seanb20124 says: Jul 17, 2013 7:14 PM

Will he do a special on global warming, or on Trayvon

31. phishan says: Jul 17, 2013 7:35 PM

I’ll never watch. Thank goodness for NFL network so I can get NFL news from them. Bring on FOX Sports.

32. jeagan1999 says: Jul 17, 2013 7:36 PM

Great move by ESPN, after all look what Olbermann did for MSNBC…he doubled their viewership from 6 to 12 viewers! Watch out for a new ESPN ratings bonanza!

33. notoriousjebus says: Jul 17, 2013 7:46 PM

Olbermann was one of he cornerstones of the golden age of sportscenter. However, I personally think, he’s become less and less entertaining and more and more polarizing for every step he’s taken away from sports broadcasting. I wouldn’t even say that I disagree with all his views, it’s just that he’s so condescending and absolute in the way he states his opinions he looses me completely. Hopefully with a return to ESPN he can recapture his former humor.

34. warhammer420 says: Jul 17, 2013 7:47 PM

Yay! Olbermann is my favorite sports commentator of all time!

35. koolaidcircusbeast says: Jul 17, 2013 7:51 PM

“I don’t/won’t watch ESPN” comments are hilarious.

You guys are missing a lot of MNF then.

36. lightcleric says: Jul 17, 2013 7:53 PM

When does the betting in Vegas start for when he gets fired? I’ll take one year and the points.

37. TheWizard says: Jul 17, 2013 7:58 PM

I liked Keith’s work in sports, but the last thing sports reporting needs is more liberalism.

38. ravensbob says: Jul 17, 2013 8:12 PM

NEVER will watch Espn again.

39. SilentMajority says: Jul 17, 2013 8:15 PM

Can’t stand his politics, but I can’t deny that he’s an awesome sports commentator when he stays on sports.

40. onderin says: Jul 17, 2013 8:47 PM

I’m not sure why people are immediately being so negative to ESPN and Olbermann.

First of all, we have no clue what the show format is going to be. Is it all sports? Is it sports and politics? Is it going to be an OTL-type of discussion show? Lets wait and see before we judge the show.

Secondly, Olbermann was one of the best sports commentators (along with Dan Patrick) there’s been. Without them, this whole 24 hour sports news thing would have died out pretty quickly. They helped make that format what it is today. Show some respect people.

I get that Olbermann has made himself into a rather polarizing figure since he left ESPN, but he’s a very smart man who always has a unique perspective on the sports landscape. I don’t think it’s much to give his new show a couple of views to see what he has to say.

41. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Jul 17, 2013 8:49 PM

Glad I don’t have cable….

42. bostontim says: Jul 17, 2013 9:02 PM

I liked him “back in the day.”

Now?

He’s dead to me.

Cheers, BostonTim

43. ratbastardshanahandjob says: Jul 17, 2013 9:07 PM

With the hiring of Olbermann it can officially be called esPEEn……..

44. wheels579 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:11 PM

No it ultimately won’t work and that is precisely what makes it fascinating. He will surely get himself fired yet again and I will watch every minute of it.

45. steelcitymojo says: Jul 17, 2013 9:11 PM

This cat used to be a riot with Dan Patrick back in the day. Unfortunately he’s become a bitter, condescending, narcissist. I won’t watch, but unless you’re into the NBA 24/7 why would anyone tune into ESPN?

46. torturedraiderfan says: Jul 17, 2013 9:11 PM

“Agree or disagree with Olbermann, his point of view is always one worth considering.”

____________________________
    No, his point of view is NOT worth considering because he’s a huge a-hole that doesn’t consider any other point of view. Typical limousine liberal. ESPN is hell-bent on losing all of its viewers.

47. marima07 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:17 PM

vincentbojackson says:
    “I find it amazing that so many are threatened by one man’s political opinions.”
    ——————————-
    Threatened? No. It’s more that I just don’t care about Keith Olberman’s political opinions and would rather have ESPN stick to sports.

Why is that so hard to fathom?

48. oilman989 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:18 PM

For years now, ESPN programming has been simply unwatchable. Now Olbermann’s back in the mix?? Yet another compelling reason to keep the four-letter network off my airwaves.

49. blancodiablo says: Jul 17, 2013 9:18 PM

Self important arrogant feminine product. He’s so far left he upset Al Gore. No thanks libs.

50. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:20 PM

im sure everybody at espn I looking forward to having that insufferable ahole back.

51. zinn22 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:23 PM

Olberman like many heroes of the movies is a man of many extremes. Immensely talented and intelligent but often ruled by inner demons which seem to crop up and destroy his successes. Given his track record, I don’t think he will ever be happy for long wherever he goes.

While I generally share Olberman’s political view points I often find his partisan expressions too argumentative and annoying to watch. His heart may be in the right place and intellectually his reasoning is normally sound but I find he often exaggerates to make a point which along with his his divisive style more often than does more harm than good.

Compare Olberman’s style to his MSN protege Rachael Maddow and there is a lot Olberman can learn. Maddow does not exaggerate to win an argument and is one of the few political commentators that does actual fact checking. Plus her style is low key and not near as divisive as we see form almost all of the political hack commentators who derive their ratings from emotion over facts.

Olberman’s energetic exaggeration crusading style seems much better suited to sports than it does politics. Hopefully for him it will not lead to burnout again.

In sports commentating we have to many people just saying what they think people want to here. Those that are controversial like Bayless normally know nothing about what they are talking about. There is a real void for someone intelligent to say how they feel. Love Olberman or hate him he is someone who is not afraid to say how he feels and he is knowledgeable enough to actually bring intelligent analysis. He could really do well. At least until he has another self defeating moment forcing his way out of a great oppurtunity.

52. lannynewton says: Jul 17, 2013 9:24 PM

It is George Bush’s fault his show will fail.

53. bucsducksipa says: Jul 17, 2013 9:24 PM

I call BS. I went back an looked at Limbaugh’s unsolicited comments about McNabb, the ones that eventually forced him to resign from ESPN and the “apology”. Since Limbaugh is the standard bearer of conservatives, one could deduce that those of a certain political persuasion agree with him, his tactics and his views. It’s no particular secret that Limbaugh is the Grand Imperial Pooh Bah of Bloviating or what his shtick is. What wasn’t apparent, until he offered his opinion on McNabb, was that he was a lying, hypocritical, racist. Yes, it was he, the conservative, who interjected race into the conversation. He proved incapable of examining a players performance on the field without looking at the color of the players skin. That comes from an inherent character flaw, personally and philosophically and the most wearisome thing is conservatives will piss, moan and gripe anytime someone suggest race has anything whatsoever to do with an inequity. Olbermann can be overbearingly condescending but at least he’s not a racist.

54. commonsensedude says: Jul 17, 2013 9:29 PM

I think this is really going to help improve ESPN’s prime time ratings in those red and purple states, you know, where most people live.

55. cowboyfan45 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:29 PM

why would anyone hire this fool!

56. JSpicoli says: Jul 17, 2013 9:39 PM

Two desperate, aging divorcees getting back together.

KO is a cancer and a three time loser

ESPN
    MSNBC
    whatever that lame algore network was

57. 40for60alldaybaby says: Jul 17, 2013 9:39 PM

Anybody who thinks that Olbermann is “dumb” is obviously a redneck and/or retard, i.e., a member of the GOP or a Teabagger. Guys like Olbermann who espouse informed opinions which point out the philosophical hypocrisies of the right wingers are met with anger by the low info crowd.

58. rcali says: Jul 17, 2013 9:39 PM

Boy do I feel bad for the staff. I think Bill Belicheat treats people better at ESPiN.

59. fantabulouscraptaculars says: Jul 17, 2013 9:45 PM

Poor KO. It must have been humbling for him to slither back to ESPN, from where he originally departed to slay more “important” dragons with his sanctimonious sneer. His colossal ego and toxic personality have since driven him from MSNBC – where he made even Rachel Maddow seem fair minded and reasonable by comparison – and Al Gore’s recently-failed Current TV. When AL GORE thinks you’re a whack job you might want to reconsider your approach to your profession. Good night and good luck, KO.

60. dadsource says: Jul 17, 2013 9:48 PM

I still watch ESPN for football games, but make sure I mute the sound. I haven’t watched a full half hour of Sportscenter or any of those opinionated blowhard talk shows (do you hear me Steven A. Smith?) in over 10 years. Profootball talk gives me my football news, Fox and Espn’s websites give me the rest. I’m way beyond having some half-wit explain what he thinks is going on or going into some political diatribe of veiled insults……hire who you want, I watch the players and could care less if KO and Ray Ray played tiddiliwinks!

61. boobsmcgoo says: Jul 17, 2013 9:58 PM

Remember when Olbermann debuted on ESPN2 wearing the leather 8-ball jacket at the news desk? Just ask the 8-ball!!!

62. skoz17 says: Jul 17, 2013 9:59 PM

Al Sharpton and Ed Schultz are next on ESPN’s list.

63. skybox22blog says: Jul 17, 2013 10:03 PM

HeHe, ESPN, what a joke. Keith Olberman? That’s funny. I’ll guess they’ll have another point of view like the other shows he’s been on right. Obama supporters for sure.
    “FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGE AMERICA” is their motto. The president and his co-horts are not only racist but terrorists against the United States.
    Please let me meet them in a dark alley somewhere. This is pitiful.
    But I’m sure you weirdos that didn’t like the Zimmerman case will LOVE Olby. Guaranteed this kook will reference this, and of course you will fawn over it like everything else these anti-americans say. I PROMISE YOU.
    Think for yourself (Oh, if you can, no government help, 2+2 equals four, not five, no matter what this crackhead administration says).

64. wareagletampa says: Jul 17, 2013 10:04 PM

People used to say, “Hey, remember when MTV used to play music videos?” Well all I have to say is: Hey, remember when Sportscenter used to show highlights?

It is now baseball season and if you are not a fan of the Red Sox, Yankees, Yasiel Puig, or Miguel Cabrera’s steroid inflated head, you do not get to see highlights of your team. QuickPitch on MLB Networks is frankly much better programming. Why would I flip over to ESPN to watch stories on NBA free agency and 25 minutes of complete hacks argue over the future or Lebron James. That is not what Sportscenter is supposed to be. Olberman and Patrick were Sportscenter. Two guys behind a desk showing highlights in a higly entertaining fashion.

Olberman needs to keep politics out of sports. I, as a Libertarian, am sick and tired of seeing the same PC agenda everytime I turn on the TV, Stick to sports Keith and we will be ok. I will watch atleast once.

65. stigman2012 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:12 PM

If Olbermann is on at 11:00 pm and no one is watching, does he make a sound?

66. fmwarner says: Jul 17, 2013 10:16 PM

sillec28 says: Jul 17, 2013 5:53 PM

==============================

Are you serious? ESPN comments are evidence that we haven’t evolved that much from apes. At least with Facebook sign-in, people will have to put their name to their bigoted illiterate rants instead of hiding behind a pseudonym. If the Facebook thing prevents these people from commenting, then it can only be an improvement.

67. swagger52 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:23 PM

I wonder if he is trapped inside Tom Brady’s jock like Jim Nantz and Dan Dierdorf. Realitically, almost anybody is better than those two – even Olbermann.

68. jharmon64 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:28 PM

Worst host ever.

69. watchfullhose says: Jul 17, 2013 10:31 PM

One of the greatest SPORTS commentators or all time.

70. boltdaddy says: Jul 17, 2013 10:38 PM

Not in my opinion. He’s a narrow minded agenda on his shirt sleeve creep who looks like a clown with a plastic funny nose and glasses.

71. Deb says: Jul 17, 2013 10:44 PM

Opposite Jon Stewart? Not a chance.

72. melong1 says: Jul 17, 2013 10:51 PM

He has a right to his express his idiotic opinions. We have the right to ignore his idiotic options…….for now.

73. ruffridin says: Jul 17, 2013 10:54 PM

Fox sports 1 is anchored by onraite and O’Toole and they are awesome Get ready to be entertained

74. phonecops says: Jul 17, 2013 10:56 PM

An awful lot of right wingers going off here. My concern is that the show will be 80-90% baseball.

75. sfkforever says: Jul 17, 2013 10:57 PM

how many chances does this guy get??? smh

76. NotoriousKDV says: Jul 17, 2013 10:59 PM

Considering the toxicity that Keith left at his last two places of employment, MSNBC and CurrentTV, I’m surprised that ESPN would bring him back. I mean if he can’t get along with coworkers that share his political views to the point that he’s just downright nasty toward them and in a public way, then how in the world is he going to get along with coworkers who are most likely of varying political views?

I just have a hard time believing that Keith will be able to keep it focused on sports all the time. Sure maybe the on air stuff will be all about sports, but I bet at some point the off air stuff, behind the scenes conversations will turn to politics and that’s when Keith’s toxicity will infect ESPN again. At this point Keith is way more trouble than he’s worth.

77. jayquintana says: Jul 17, 2013 11:02 PM

This is NOT a politics show on ESPN, it’s a sports show on ESPN!

Olberman knows sports and he’s articulate. Which is more than you can say for Smith, Baylis, and Berman. I’m watching.

78. footballisfun says: Jul 17, 2013 11:05 PM

I see the right-wing trolls are spamming this thread with their “votes”. Sorry guys, he’s back. Suck on it.

79. osiris33 says: Jul 17, 2013 11:08 PM

“…his point of view is always one worth considering?”

He’s a frothing lunatic.

80. kcflake says: Jul 17, 2013 11:08 PM

Olberman Sucks no matter what show he is on. He is just a Very Arrogant Liberal. He should just crawl in a hole somewhere and disappear.

81. clemenza58 says: Jul 17, 2013 11:31 PM

What a waste of ESPN’s salary cap space.

82. robt927 says: Jul 17, 2013 11:39 PM

Place me in the I’ll never watch a minute of that jerks show category. When ESPN can’t sell one minute of advertising during this show he will be shown the door, hopefully forever this time.
    What are they smoking in Bristol?

83. mediasloppy says: Jul 17, 2013 11:50 PM

lol @ Haters. I’ll tune in and decide for myself if it’s good or not.

84. girthbrooks2013 says: Jul 18, 2013 12:18 AM

all we have to say about Olberman when mixing sports and politics is “shut the hell up”!….

85. natijim235 says: Jul 18, 2013 12:25 AM

this guy is a friggin idiot!

86. sportsbastard says: Jul 18, 2013 12:32 AM

If he’s the snarky-witty sports centric KO of old, I’m all for it. If he drags his politics into every little thing, I won’t be watching.

87. riichiieriich says: Jul 18, 2013 1:04 AM

@onderin

I take it you didn’t read this post? The president on ESPN said that politics can be discussed on the show.

88. randomcommenter says: Jul 18, 2013 1:14 AM

What’s with this revisionist history that Olbermann did something to “launch” ESPN 2. The A team when ESPN2 debuted was Stu Scott and Suzy Kolber.

Besides, Olbermann was simply a news reader. Can’t think of many easier jobs that that. It’s not like he did anything groundbreaking.

And way to refute that egomaniac reputation by naming the show Olbermann. Not even The Olbermann Show, just Olbermann.

If ESPN wanted to bring somebody back for a talk/sports show they should have brought back Dan Patrick or even Robin Roberts. People actually watch them, unlike Olbermann.

89. Indybear says: Jul 18, 2013 6:47 AM

I have to laugh at the comments from those that will refuse to watch the show or now have more reasons not to watch………….without ever having seen the show. You should be politicians. I think the true reason you will not watch is because it’s past your bed time.

However, the REAL reason to not watch ESPN is Chris Berman, who’s tired schtick is nauseating. Read about his HS commencement speech last month. What a tool.

90. dumbhobby says: Jul 18, 2013 7:11 AM

I disagree with your inal point. His thoughts are never worth considering.

91. walkinginthewasteland says: Jul 18, 2013 8:26 AM

__________________

Actually, ESPN is the worst thing in Sports Programming. Somewhere, 10-15 years ago, they decided that hyping a story is better than covering and reporting it. I consider it full of pointless drivel. Chris Berman’s act got old 20 years ago, hasnt improved with age and doesnt transfer off the newsroom set. Hearing him butcher broadcasts as he attempts to insert his tacky nicknames is a channel changer. Stuart Scott was never watchable.

I’d say the turning point was during and right after the 2006 draft. The unceasing disdain and insults for the Texans on ESPN because they didnt draft Reggie “No Pro Bowls” Bush was nauseating.

92. slick50ks says: Jul 18, 2013 10:12 AM

Dan Patrick carried this POS for years.

Dan’s not going to be there to do that anymore.

ESPN remains a total joke.

93. CKL says: Jul 18, 2013 10:38 AM

wareagletampa,
    well said

Zinn22
    I probably wouldn’t agree with most of your politics but politics could use more reasonable and fair people like you as advocates. I too despise/tune out anyone who insults people and screams instead of providing real dialog. Commentators who use 3rd grade playground tactics aren’t worth listening to, regardless of political persuasion.

It’s true we don’t know what KO’s new show will be about, but it’s his style I object to even before his politics. Unless he’s reinvented his whole manner, it’s probably a no go for me to watch.

94. mightbegoingtohellforthis says: Jul 18, 2013 10:43 AM

I’m ok with it as long as he can keep his political views to himself. Great sports anchor.

95. thankheavenfornumber14 says: Jul 18, 2013 2:41 PM

This guy is a jerk He lists Republicans as the worst people in the World over the likes of Osama bin laden ETC
    He won’t keep his political views to himself like ESPN I will watch all other sports networks over this POS network now
    Hopefully Keithy poo will go interview Brent Favre and they both can go swim in the swamp wearing good luck hams

96. istateyourname says: Jul 18, 2013 8:48 PM

I hope Ray Lewis kills him. In Florida. So he won’t have to go to jail or anything.

97. thetooloftools says: Jul 18, 2013 8:52 PM

Yea… because we all missed Kevin.

98. redwingshockey23 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:05 PM

Again yet another reason to hate espn. Since they dropped hockey I don’t watch it anymore. Can’t be a total sports network if you don’t shiw ALL sports. I can’t wait for FOX1

99. patriots420 says: Jul 19, 2013 1:31 AM

sillec28 says:
    Jul 17, 2013 5:53 PM

——————-

I actually rarely read comments on espn, this is the only site I like to see the comments, what with the familiar characters and balance between funny and Intelligent insight from normal pee on readers such as myself.

The logical solution for trollers (reason espn changed to FB comments to eliminate harassment and racist comments) is to create a second account. Voila you can once again belittle and harass fellow commenters under the cloak of secrecy.

100. burtreynoldstoupee says: Jul 21, 2013 2:18 PM

Olbermann is a big, bloviating bag of gas. He’s the kind of person that you dread seeing at parties because they will corner you with never ending tales about themselves. They never ask a question about anyone else – because no one else matters. He is a real life Ted Baxter and how this guy keeps getting jobs (okay they don’t last long) is pretty incredible.

101. MDSisAtool says: Jul 22, 2013 1:23 PM

Why on earth is his opinion on anything important? Why do people in this country consistently tell us that politics need to be in sports? Jesus. I watch sports to forget about the crappy political situation this country is in. I haven’t watched ESPN in years (aside from MNF) and this just keeps me away.

102. igotsanduskied says: Jul 22, 2013 3:39 PM

Hey randomcommentator, you might want to checm your facts. Olbermann was on the air when espn2 “launched” wearing that horrible leather jacket (which he claims they made him wear) and I believe he opened by saying “welcome to the end of my career.” Also, he absolutely was groundbreaking, who do you think wrote those pieces of news he would read? Every one of his colleagues has said he is a pain in the a$$ but that he was a genius. To this day it seems like most sportscenter anchors try to imitate KO and dan patrick.

103. deweyaxewound says: Jul 23, 2013 2:03 PM

bucsducksipa says:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:24 PM
    __________________________________

I call BS on you.

Rush Limbaugh’s controversial comment was not about race (the racial aspect was incidental) — it was about the MEDIA, and it was about McNabb being overrated, and WHY he was overrated.

Quote:
    “Sorry to say this, I don’t think he’s been that good from the get-go. I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn’t deserve. The defense carried this team.”

And for the record, history has since exonerated Limbaugh: he was 100% accurate with his insights on McNabb.

It is the hallmark of a decidedly ignorant and myopic intellect, which cannot tolerate a person even REFERENCING race, without having a spastic kneejerk (over)reaction and immediately accusing that speaker of bigotry.

One of the reasons that racism and racial resentments continue in this country is because intolerant, judgmental people like you won’t even allow others to have open, honest, candid discussions about it. You’re always too busy shouting “RACIST!” at the first person that comes along and says something you don’t like or don’t agree with.

You also fail to see the hypocrisy in the media and pop culture establishment’s practice of prohibiting some people from making reference to race, while allowing and even encouraging others. Then people wonder why these problems persist.

Grow up.

104. kevjones75 says: Jul 24, 2013 12:38 AM

ESPN is unwatchable. I don’t think I’ve tuned in for anything other than a Packers game, Badgers game or UNM Lobos game in about 10 years. It’s all about ESPN now. I’m bummed that they’ve hijacked some more UNM mens BBall games, because I’ll be forced to watch the nonstop ticker and honking for shows.

105. jmgseamless says: Sep 10, 2013 8:17 AM

ESPN is going down the tubes. ESPN should be airing sporting events. Olbermann is a cancer This guy is nothing but a political blowhard. Politics should stay out of sports, thats why I watch sports. Never thought I would say this. but I’m moving to watch the FOX Sports. ESPN you lost me.