Brandon Marshall thinks lack of other targets led to his hip surgery

Brandon Marshall AP

Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall was happy to hear that the team signed tight end Martellus Bennett as a free agent this offseason.

One of the reasons for his elation is exactly the one you’d probably expect. Marshall thinks Bennett’s addition gives the Bears passing game a much needed weapon to use in their quest for a trip to the postseason, but he also had a more personal reason to smile when Bennett came on board.

“It was tough sledding last year,” Marshall said, via ESPNChicago.com. “I think that’s why I had to have the [hip] surgery. I had 2-3 guys on me every single play, but bringing in big boy Martellus, I don’t think the league really knows how good he is. I didn’t know, and that was one of my great friends in the league. So I’m excited to see him, he’s going to be awesome this year for us.”

Bennett will certainly help lighten the load on Marshall and his hip this year. The Bears will need other receivers to step up their productivity as well if they are going to keep defenses from loading up to stop Marshall, though. It could be Alshon Jeffery or Earl Bennett or Matt Forte out of the backfield that helps make the difference, but it will have to be more than a two-man show.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Brandon Marshall thinks lack of other targets led to his hip surgery”
  1. opietaylor says: Jul 18, 2013 10:02 AM

Bears will run over and exploit the weak and crappy GB defense. Take away Rodgers (the leagues best QB) you have a 6-10 team

2. joeytorontosucks says: Jul 18, 2013 10:09 AM

3. Laura says: Jul 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Makes you wonder why Megatron hasn’t had surgery on both hips, both shoulders, all ten fingers and toes, as well as his spleen.

4. gooch80 says: Jul 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Not complaining about too many passes. Complaining of bad play calling. There’s a difference. If there are 2-3 guys on Marshall, Forte is running downfield ALONE! Tice couldn’t figure it out which is why he was fired in Minnesota and never should have been named OC in Chicago.

5. suprsquirrel says: Jul 18, 2013 10:46 AM

@Laura

Your little joke works until you realize that Megatron didn’t join the Lions with hips that required surgery previous to his arrival there.

The more you know….

6. jazsrt says: Jul 18, 2013 10:49 AM

opietaylor says:
    Jul 18, 2013 10:02 AM

____________________________________

The same could be said about the Bears…in fact, it’s been proven multiple times in the past two years. If Cutler is not in, we do not win.

(And I’m a Bears fan.)

7. spartyfi says: Jul 18, 2013 10:53 AM

I’ve never heard Calvin Johnson whine
    about being double and triple covered. This is why no one likes Brandon.

8. metalhead65 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:04 AM

Marshall will get his wish. there is no way that the offense will not be better simply because Tice will not be calling the plays and the new head coach believes offense is part of the game. barring injuries all the bears receivers will have good years because the offense will not be Cutler taking the snap and running for his life waiting for Marshall to get open. seriously even you Cutler haters have to admit that what passed as offense for the bears last year was the worst in the history of football on any level.

9. ososrule says: Jul 18, 2013 11:06 AM

what does Megatron have to do with Brandon Marshall’s hip surgery? what is this Laura person sitting around thinking about….also what does GB’s offense have to do with his hips. Come on people stay on topic and stop trying to change the subject here.

10. skleech22 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:10 AM

This Guy is a turd! Me,me,me,and me! Bad seed to have locker room! Sorry Bears,this Guy will be a thorn in Marc Trestmans side!

11. larryboodry says: Jul 18, 2013 11:14 AM

joeytorontosucks says: Jul 18, 2013 10:09 AM

“So before he was whining about not being targeted enough and now he’s moaning about too many passes. Good stuff BMarsh”

Funny, I didn’t hear him moaning about being targeted too much, just sounding relieved that maybe now he won’t be double-and-triple-teamed so much…I’m sure he’d be thrilled to haul in 118 passes again.

12. beachsidejames says: Jul 18, 2013 11:15 AM

This is his last year of being the go to guy for the Bears. He won’t last a full season and soon after will be shown the door. Bad attitude with a big paycheck and a body thats breaking down. Don’t plan on seeing him cutting over the middle too much longer.

13. demjoneses says: Jul 18, 2013 11:19 AM

@ spartyfi

Sounds to me like he’s pointing out the obvious, most times you hear a WR say he want all the passes (and get praised for his competitive drive), Marshall is happy to have help. I’m not sure how many Bears games you watched last year but I don’t want to see Cutler throwing into triple coverage because he’s the only legit target on the field.

@ skleech22

I think last year was the year for him to be a thorn in Tice’s side. I didn’t see any of that so I see you’re not being objective and just coming in to voice your dislike for him personally. He hasn’t gotten into trouble since his Denver days. Even that bottle situation in Miami turned out to be BOGUS. So I’m sure you’re not even sure why you don’t like Marshall other than he’s a Chicago Bear.

14. larryboodry says: Jul 18, 2013 11:24 AM

@skleech22 and spartyfi:

Neither of you are Bears fans, and your opinions are based on hate, not reality…Bears players, and their fans, love Marshall…He will be a beast again this year.

15. tokyosandblaster says: Jul 18, 2013 11:27 AM

How are Alshon, Matt, and Devin doing from being thrown under that bus?

16. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 18, 2013 11:34 AM

No I am pretty sure it was lack of talent at Quarterback that led to hip surgery.

17. deadruster says: Jul 18, 2013 11:35 AM

I dont think this was whining at all. I think he was merely saying his body took a toll last year (makes sense with how he carried that offense) and that he is greatful to bring in someone else to help work the middle of the field.
    To me this shows he is mature enough to know he cant do it all alone. Not many WR’s would think that way.
    Everything I have seen out of Marshall since joining the Bears has shown maturity and professionalism. I know he has a checkered past but perhaps he is following a similar path of one Chris Carter. Sometimes players can change their ways. Give the kid a break.

18. dexterismyhero says: Jul 18, 2013 11:40 AM

Saving Sarah MArshall!!!!

19. w0rkh0lic1 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:50 AM

Someone should lock Brandon Marshall in a room with Terrell Owens for a few hours. Maybe Owens can tell him that no matter how talented you are, Shut your mouth, or it’ll bite you later in your career. Marshall is quickly becoming the new Owens, talented, but won’t stop running his mouth and his career will likely end sooner than it should as a result. There are great, young, humble receivers who are team first entering the league every year. GM’s aren’t going to want to bring in the aging, mouthy, selfish me-first receiver with an injury history when his time is up in Chicago. Miami sure was quick to dump Marshall once they saw the headache that came with him.

20. chi01town says: Jul 18, 2013 12:19 PM

If Trestman is only half as good as
    Steve Young says he is Chicago will Win the North this season. Cutler has the weapons this season to put
    up the numbers he needs to get a contract. BUT the O-line has to be good and not just in the passing game. they have to open some good holes for Forte & Bush to run threw too. the season cant start fast enough for me.

21. opietaylor says: Jul 18, 2013 12:20 PM

jazsrt says:

opietaylor says:

____________________________________

(And I’m a Bears fan.)

I agree with ya Jaz.

22. louiespoon says: Jul 18, 2013 1:11 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:27 AM
    How are Alshon, Matt, and Devin doing from being thrown under that bus?

…………………………..

Nice try….

23. louiespoon says: Jul 18, 2013 1:13 PM

ColtsWinColtsWin!! says:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:34 AM

………………………………………………….

You can’t even put rationale behind this….

24. louiespoon says: Jul 18, 2013 1:19 PM

jazsrt says:
    Jul 18, 2013 10:49 AM
    opietaylor says:
    Jul 18, 2013 10:02 AM

____________________________________

(And I’m a Bears fan.)

………………………………………………………….

The last two years the O line was crap, no TE, play calling was sub-par, and only last year was there a #1 WR and and a compliment that would be greater than a #3 on any other team….

25. demjoneses says: Jul 18, 2013 1:24 PM

@ w0rkh0lic1

I don’t think you even watch football, the things you just stated are not even close to being true.

You stated “Marshall is quickly becoming the new Owens”

As far as Marshall has shown is he LOVES playing with Cutler, which QB did T.O. love?

You stated “There are great, young, humble receivers who are team first entering the league every year.”

C’Mon man, part of being a WR is being full of yourself and they all are. Somehow you read this article and got he’s being mouthy and selfish because he’s happy to have more targets on the field. More targets means less passes his way, which could lead to more wins. Oh so now a player who will overlook his personal stats for the team is selfish.

You sound crazy, I really have an issue with fans who want to hate for the sake of hating on someone. At least wait until the season to start talking jive like this.

26. jaweaver14 says: Jul 18, 2013 2:01 PM

@demjoneses: No, it sounds to me like he’s whining. Really, he needed hip surgery because he was triple covered??? LOL OK then, if da Bears fans want to buy what he’s piling then have at it…

No one wants to see their QB throwing into triple coverage, as a Lions fan I can attest to that more than you…but, Marshall is now and has always been a loud mouth whiner.

@ larryboodry

My comment is based on plenty of empirical evidence (meaning based on Marshall’s history of whining!). I really don’t mind the Bears. I grew up on the Lake Michigan side of Michigan so I’ve grown a certain fondness for them even though they’re in our division.

27. jazsrt says: Jul 18, 2013 2:09 PM

louiespoon says:
    Jul 18, 2013 1:19 PM
    jazsrt says:
    Jul 18, 2013 10:49 AM
    opietaylor says:
    Jul 18, 2013 10:02 AM

____________________________________

(And I’m a Bears fan.)

………………………………………………………….

_______________________________

That does not negate the fact that the loss of any teams’ starting quarterback can drastically affect the outcome of a season-that is why they are the starting quarterback.

28. jazsrt says: Jul 18, 2013 2:14 PM

beachsidejames says:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:15 AM

____________________________________

I can’t even comprehend how ill informed this statement is.

29. demjoneses says: Jul 18, 2013 3:32 PM

@ jaweaver14

I can see how you can feel he’s whining but his point is he’s thankful to have someone take some of that pressure off. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think the coverage had anything to do with his hip, it just seems like a way to explain an injury while giving hope that it’s not an injury we’ll have to talk about next year. So he’s deflecting attention more than anything.

To say he is and always will be a whiner is like me saying Suh is and always will be a dirty player. I’d just be saying it because it’s what’s being said about him. When in reality I think he may go to the edge of being dirty but not over the edge and I’d take that on my team any day of the week.

The only problem I have with Suh, Megatron, AP, Aaron Rodgers, Stafford is the team they play on. I can recognize a baller when I see one and I give props.

30. larryboodry says: Jul 18, 2013 4:45 PM

@jaweaver14:

First of all, he is not blaming his hip injury on being double-or-triple-teamed, because he’s had the injury for years…It is certainly possible the existing condition was aggravated on contact with multiple defenders on a certain play during the season, thus necessitating his most recent surgery. And if it wasn’t, so what?

As for his comments on M. Bennett joining the Bears, in no way was he whining, or throwing anyone under a bus, for that matter. He was simply showing happiness at having a new playmaker on offense…Unlike Kellen Davis, who fell under the damn bus all by himself trying to catch a pass that hit him right in the numbers.

Finally, I can only judge Marshall on his stellar play and demeanor since joining the Bears. His past is just that…In the past, where it belongs.

31. stevejjones says: Jul 18, 2013 9:29 PM

Non-Bears fans commenting about Marshall offer nothing of worth. Brandon has been a great player for us. Attitude good, talent good, results good. Good buddies with Cutler. Nothing to change.