Steelers looking for more from Cam Heyward

Ravens quarterback Flacco  throws despite pass pressure by the Steelers Cameron Heyward during their NFL football game in Baltimore Reuters

The Steelers selected defensive end Cam Heyward in the first round of the 2011 draft with the hope that he’d help form the core of the defensive line as veterans like Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel shuffled off the scene.

Two of those guys have moved on, but Heyward hasn’t filled the void to the extent the team had in mind. Heyward hasn’t made too much of an impact in his first two seasons, 26 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 32 games, and has heard from defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and others that he needs to take advantage of the opportunities that passed him by in 2011 and 2012.

“It was almost a loss because I didn’t meet all the goals I wanted. I need to have a productive training camp, so we can get this thing running,” Heyward said, via Ralph Paulk of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I have the athletic ability, so it’s a matter of putting technique and ability together. Then, I have to transfer that onto the field. I have to come to work every day and leave no questions about my effort. When my number gets called this season, I have to be ready. I want to be consistent. I want to have one great play followed by another great play. I can’t have too many bad plays, not if I want to gain the confidence of the coaches.”

Keisel and Ziggy Hood will start at defensive end for the Steelers this season, but Keisel’s nearing the end of the line and Heyward could grab a fair amount of playing time if he’s able to gain that confidence. That development would be a good step for a Steelers defense that’s remaking itself in the absence of the aforementioned veterans and a crucial one for a player who has yet to really show why he went so early in the draft.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Steelers looking for more from Cam Heyward”
  1. bigbenownsthenfl says: Jul 18, 2013 8:33 AM

Cam heyward and ziggy hood have been major disappointments so far! They need to definitely start steeping up!!

2. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 18, 2013 8:40 AM

Sounds like he wants three years to prove he can compete when he’s already had two years to prove he can’t. Another wasted 1st round pick.

3. crownofthenofool says: Jul 18, 2013 8:43 AM

He better step up. This team will need all the help it can get. Even from the draft busts like Heyward.

4. ghostrider45 says: Jul 18, 2013 9:02 AM

This is what happens to stealers players that don’t’ take steroids.

5. Steeley McBeam says: Jul 18, 2013 9:52 AM

Or maybe its because hes stuck behind a long time staple in Keisel and another first round pick in Ziggy Hood. Heyward was drafted to replace Keisel when he retires, and considering his contract expires after this season he will be ready to do just that.

6. runtheball says: Jul 18, 2013 10:01 AM

He cannot make plays from the sideline. How many snaps does he get?

7. jobotjones says: Jul 18, 2013 10:42 AM

He hasn’t been needed very much although it would have been nice to see him break out already. Here’s to hoping he smashes some o-linemen and qbs this year.

Go Steelers!

8. joemontanaflaccid says: Jul 18, 2013 10:50 AM

He hasn’t played much, and it takes a couple of years to learn LeBeau’s defense. I expect him to step up and get more playing time this year.

9. finallythevoiceofreason says: Jul 18, 2013 11:12 AM

10. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 18, 2013 12:46 PM

“Right. And how has Jimmy Smith been doing for the Ravens having been drafted 1st Round by them in the same year? Huh?”

Oh. I don’t know. Didn’t he just WIN the SUPERBOWL?

11. gwcsr says: Jul 18, 2013 3:09 PM

So Jimmy Smith won the Super bowl all by his self, he needed NO help from the rest of the team? Oh by the way the Steelers still lead 6-2 in the Super bowl count and the whole team won all SIX of them.

12. finallythevoiceofreason says: Jul 18, 2013 3:29 PM

Oh. I don’t know. Didn’t he just WIN the SUPERBOWL?

So……by your thinking……..the team winning the Super Bowl makes every player on that team exceptional. What a joke. My point is that you are trashing on a guy that has not produced much when Jimmy Smith was drafted in the same year and has not done much either. I do not remember Jimmy Smith personally winning the Super Bowl. I remember Jacoby Jones, Anquan Boldin and a missing penalty flag doing so.

13. walkinginthewasteland says: Jul 18, 2013 3:39 PM

If the Steelers want more from Cam, just play him. Hood has been a pretty big disappointment. Let Cam do his thing.

14. steelcurtainn says: Jul 18, 2013 5:08 PM

Sounds like jmf is getting blasted. Even his Raven buddies have abandoned him. Quit while your ahead, your making an everyday fool of yourself trying to talk nonsense about the steelers.

15. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 18, 2013 5:15 PM

“I do not remember Jimmy Smith personally winning the Super Bowl. I remember Jacoby Jones, Anquan Boldin and a missing penalty flag doing so.”

I’m sorry you feel that way. Must be tough for you having to live in a world full of such grave injustice.

16. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 18, 2013 5:22 PM

I didn’t realize Jimmy Smith won the super by himself. Pretty awesome playing all positions at one time.

17. 1mommicked1 says: Jul 18, 2013 8:15 PM

the team needs to ramp it up a notch. the head coach needs to make sure it happens

18. jrcoop says: Jul 18, 2013 9:40 PM

For a team committed to building through the draft, they’ve not had much success with a number of higher draft picks of late.

19. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 18, 2013 10:06 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Jul 18, 2013 5:22 PM

Hahahaha. Jimmy Smith played all the positions at once! GET IT!?!?!

20. antibenapalooza says: Jul 18, 2013 10:27 PM

And I am looking for more from the Steelers, getting rid of Rottenberger to be specific.

21. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 19, 2013 1:13 PM

Joemontanaflacco says:
    Jul 18, 2013 10:06 PM
    Nofoolnodrool says:
    Jul 18, 2013 5:22 PM

Hahahaha. Jimmy Smith played all the positions at once! GET IT!?!?!

0 0
    Report comment. I guess when you get embarrassed by your post this is how you react. Pretty weak there skippy, but you are so cute when you get angry.

22. sbchampsagain says: Jul 22, 2013 9:31 AM

Hood and Heyward need to step up. Period.
    We’re getting old on defense and now is their time.