Witten learned not to hot dog it with Parcells

Hot dogs rest in water before a hot dog eating competition in New York Reuters

Jason Witten’s caught more passes than any player in Cowboys history, but he wasn’t sure he was going to get that far, thanks to Bill Parcells and a halftime snack.

Witten said he was scared to death when soon-to-be-enshrined Hall of Fame coach caught him eating a hot dog at halftime of a 2006 preseason game.

Speaking at an Independence Bowl event in Shreveport, La. Wednesday, Witten recalled the game against the Saints there when he thought his career might be much shorter.

“It was raining, and I had played most of the first half, catching a touchdown pass, and we were beating the Saints pretty good,” Witten said, via Jimmy Watson of the Shreveport Times. “I figured I was finished at halftime, because starters usually didn’t play that much in preseason games. I walked under the stadium and saw the most beautiful hot dog you’ve ever seen. I dressed it all up with mustard, and ketchup and relish — then I was in mid-bite when coach Parcells walked in.

“I felt about this big. I didn’t figure I’d play another game as a Cowboy.”

Somehow or another, he survived.

The hot dog, and Parcells.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Witten learned not to hot dog it with Parcells”
  1. tbutler704 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:09 AM

I like a good hot dog. Bit of mustard and relish, no ketchup.

2. rpiotr01 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:14 AM

Parcells knew to treat talented players differently than average players.

3. kotcha23 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:23 AM

This article doesn’t give Parcells’ reaction to him eating the hotdog, negative or positive…

4. jmac1013 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:26 AM

I enjoy anecdotes such as this one.

5. wearewhowethoughtwewere says: Jul 18, 2013 11:29 AM

6. florioleadswitnesses says: Jul 18, 2013 11:33 AM

Did he find the hot dog on the ground??? I can’t imagine him standing in line in a Cowboy’s uniform to get a hot dog.

7. strockrocks says: Jul 18, 2013 11:38 AM

I like hot dogs but I’ve never referred to them as “beautiful”

8. trollaikman8 says: Jul 18, 2013 11:39 AM

This is where Sanchez and Witten differ.

9. datdangdrewdundunituhgin says: Jul 18, 2013 11:53 AM

cool story, bro

10. w0rkh0lic1 says: Jul 18, 2013 12:10 PM

The real question to ask… If that happened this season and Jason Garrett caught him eating a loaded hot dog at half time of a game, would Garrett have the authority to discipline him? Or would Jerry Jones over rule him if he decided to sit him the second half of the game? Or try to fine him? Nobody questioned that Once the season started Parcells was running his team. Nobody could say the same about the coaches the cowboy have had since Parcells left. Jerry Jones is just pulling the strings from a distance and the Witten’s and Romo’s have more pull than the coaches at this point

11. patriotenvy says: Jul 18, 2013 12:19 PM

I remember Tuna telling reporters they were making a big deal out of a one game wonder when they were surronding Curtis Martin after he after his first big game and Curtis was talking it up. He was hard on Curtis, but Curtis follwed him to the Jets.

12. justintuckrule says: Jul 18, 2013 12:20 PM

So much for me respecting the only member of the Cowboys. I don’t respect ANYONE that puts ketchup on a hotdog.

13. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jul 18, 2013 12:21 PM

Crap, I thought he said he learned not to eat hot dogs with Bill Parcells, now that would be extremely dangerous and hilariously funny. Thanks :)

14. m1mplax39 says: Jul 18, 2013 12:31 PM

If he didn’t get mad at LT for doing what he use to do a halftime, why would he be mad over a hot dog.

15. tannethrill says: Jul 18, 2013 12:40 PM

Parcells wanted the hot dog for himself before he downed 25 Yankee cap ice cream cups.

16. lightcleric says: Jul 18, 2013 12:47 PM

This story omits the part where Andy Reid showed up and ate the hot dog while Witten was distracted…

17. joetoronto says: Jul 18, 2013 1:15 PM

Most of my favorite NFL Films clips involve Parcels giving it to his players.

Good stuff indeed.

18. ryann252013 says: Jul 18, 2013 1:18 PM

“This is where Sanchez and Witten differ.”

I’m a jets fan and this got me hahahaha

19. ollie73082 says: Jul 18, 2013 1:31 PM

This story left me unsatisfied. I’d appreciate knowing Parcell’s reaction. SMH everybody, SMH.

20. thelastwordyaheard says: Jul 18, 2013 1:42 PM

not to worry Jason, Parcells downs more hot dogs than Joey Chestnut..

21. Christian says: Jul 18, 2013 2:36 PM

Ketchup? What is he … five?

22. umrguy42 says: Jul 18, 2013 3:01 PM

Ok, I’m prepared to be thumbs-downed mercilessly, but somebody let me know – wtf is it you people think is so bad about ketchup (especially with mustard and relish) on a hot dog?

23. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Jul 18, 2013 3:26 PM

Costello: I don’t like mustard.
    Abbott: But mustard was made for the hot dog! What did mustard ever do to you? Do you know how many people it takes to manufacture mustard? You’ll put them all out of work!

…All because you don’t like mustard!

Classic!

24. The Prophet says: Jul 18, 2013 3:50 PM

I was wondering who ate my hot dog. I left it under the stadium at halftime, and went to wash my hands and when I came back it was gone! I was so hungry and had no more money to buy another one. I’ll get you back for this Witten, if its the last thing I do!!!!

25. trevor123698 says: Jul 18, 2013 4:31 PM

“I would have cut or traded him for putting ketchup on a hot dog. What are you? 12?”

————-

Do you realize that hot dogs themselves are food like products which carry zero nutritional value? They are made for the young 12 year old children of ignorant and partially lazy parents who are not up on nutritional knowledge the way they need to be

26. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 18, 2013 7:26 PM

The Tuna looks like he has destroyed a few hot dogs over the years.