Chip Kelly wants to win now, not just in future

LeSean McCoy, Chip Kelly AP

The Eagles were 4-12 a year ago, aren’t sure who the quarterback is going to be, and are implementing new everythings under new coach Chip Kelly.

But while the talent base of the team might have eroded as much as expectations, Kelly said he’s not willing to accept that his team won’t be competitive this year.

My job is to win right now,” Kelly said, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com. “How do you think I’d be received in Philly if I told them we were going to write this year off? Those people that are waving to me on the streets right now? That ain’t going to happen.

“But that’s never been my mentality, either. We’re not writing anything off. We’re going out there to compete and see how it falls, but that’s never been our mentality. I don’t think anyone on our staff, anyone in our locker room, . . . you want to talk about our players buying in? If I went in the locker room and said, ‘This is going to be a really good year for us to get ready for the following year,’ that’s not going to work.

“No one has a mindset like that. So our decision isn’t based upon what is the future two years down the road, three years down the road. I don’t think that far.”

Of course, no coach takes a job thinking he’s going to fail, and Kelly himself doesn’t have much experience with it. He was 46-7 at Oregon, but knows well that others who piloted successful college programs have failed to win at this level.

“Every day you go out there you don’t think, ‘Hey, we’re going to win 46 out of 53,’” he said. “It’s a competition every single day, so I don’t think that way, that, hey, I’m not used to losing. We’ve got the utmost respect for whoever we’re going to compete against.

“I know it’s extremely difficult to win in this league. You just look at everybody’s record over the history of the game. It is a different game from that standpoint. But that’s just part of it. That’s the challenge. You look at it and kind of embrace it. You’re excited about it.”

The excitement and promise of something new will buy Kelly some time.

But after missing the playoffs the last two years, Philadelphia fans aren’t inclined toward patience, and will let him know that soon enough.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Chip Kelly wants to win now, not just in future”
  1. somekat says: Jul 20, 2013 1:26 PM

You underestimate Philly fans patience. Most of them consider this year a wash. It’s good he doesn’t, and I wouldn’t expect him ,or any of the players to. But most Eagles fans I know expect 7-9 or 8-8, and wouldn’t be too worried about 5-11 or 6-10 if they show improvement as the season goes along

New system and a young team, it will take a year to get everything running smoothly IMO

2. surfinbird1 says: Jul 20, 2013 1:29 PM

Really. Gee,don’t the other 31 coaches feel the same way?

3. ososrule says: Jul 20, 2013 1:30 PM

Should have stayed in college ball, Eagles is a terrible place to “win now” with the confusion and criminal QB potentially starting this year.

4. gumbogumbo says: Jul 20, 2013 1:31 PM

Chip is in it to win a Super Bowl as quickly and as often as possible just like every other coach in the NFL.

5. censoredagain says: Jul 20, 2013 1:37 PM

Of course he doesn’t care about the future. As soon as Lane Kiffin gets fired, Kelly will bolt to USC.

The Eagles are toast for a while

6. raiderlyfe510 says: Jul 20, 2013 1:38 PM

Win The Day…The future doesn’t exist.

If there’s one thing that Tom Cable taught Raider Nation it was to “win the day.”

7. nfl fan says: Jul 20, 2013 1:38 PM

What does “win” mean? Andy Reid had wins, but not the ones that matter most.

8. seahawks12thman says: Jul 20, 2013 1:39 PM

Im not buying in. He’s a coach that would throw his players under the bus rather than be a leader. Yeah he’s all cheery and stuff in July, but just wait till October or November, you’ll see. Pac12 fan here, I know his Oregon smug ass.

9. jmt8251 says: Jul 20, 2013 1:40 PM

That’s the problem with Eagles fans and media they think they should run the show, hopefully Kelly will ignore the nuts and do what he thinks is best to win!

10. jda129 says: Jul 20, 2013 1:41 PM

Chip looks looks like he’s getting ready to serenade McCoy in that pic.

11. tripoint9109 says: Jul 20, 2013 1:48 PM

Eagles Training camp starts in less than 48 hours!!!! Most anticipating camp in years. In chip we trust. who is it gonna be, Foles,Vick or Barkely?

12. giantsfan64 says: Jul 20, 2013 1:48 PM

If he wants to win now he never should have left college

13. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 20, 2013 1:57 PM

I fully expected him to say that he didn’t want to win now.

14. bobleblah says: Jul 20, 2013 2:21 PM

Translation: Vick is my starter.

15. papoose059 says: Jul 20, 2013 2:28 PM

If Chip is able to use his timeouts and challenges in way that warrants them, then this season will be an improvement. God help KC and that brilliant game day coach they brought it.

16. 25cuts says: Jul 20, 2013 2:32 PM

Honestly, the division is up for grabs. I’m not getting carried away and saying Super Bowl but the division is definitely up for grabs. We’ll just see how this plays out. I do know I’m excited for football season as always but thus year it’s fresh and not the same old Reid.

17. craniator says: Jul 20, 2013 3:00 PM

I’m not even an Eagles fan , but I have to admit , this guy really seems to “get it”. As is usually the case when a high profile college coach takes an NFL job , a lot of folks probably can’t wait to see him fail , but it looks like the team made a great hire in Chip Kelly ; I think he’s going to do well.

18. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 20, 2013 3:01 PM

Wouldn’t expect him to say anything different. He was brought in to win now which is why when he doesn’t, he will be back in college football where he belongs.

19. citiciti says: Jul 20, 2013 3:27 PM

Chip-2.5yrs. and out.

20. floratiotime says: Jul 20, 2013 4:08 PM

Another Chip Kelly article … he’s like a precocious little girl. Look at me … look at me. And he still reminds me of Marcus Bachmann.

21. therillest says: Jul 20, 2013 5:12 PM

I sure wish Chip could come talk the Jaguars organization about this.

22. Canyonero says: Jul 20, 2013 6:13 PM

Chip Kelly looks like a piece of Andy Reid that fell off

23. TheWizard says: Jul 20, 2013 7:36 PM

Then he needs to get his players to shut up and quit talking out of turn on team issues.

That’s step one.