Santonio Holmes looks unlikely for start of camp

Getty Images

More evidence emerged Saturday to support what has seemed to be the case all offseason — that Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes would not be ready to start training camp after last year’s foot injury.

Holmes told reporters at a flag football tournament Saturday that he still wasn’t ready to declare himself ready for the opener after last year’s Lisfranc injury.

I don’t have a target date,” he said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “I don’t want to do anything to jeopardize myself being ready for the season.”

Most of Holmes’ running has been of the non-weight-bearing variety on a treadmill, and he has only done limited football-related running for trainers.
“It’s just getting back into the swing of walking and running without any pains from having scar tissue build up around the injury,” he said. “It’s really difficult to learn how to walk again. To do so much balance work, you don’t realize what you have until it’s gone. To lose a ligament and have separation in your joints, have screws placed in.”

That makes Holmes a likely candidate for the active-PUP list to start camp, which would allow him to resume practice as soon as he’s ready.

The Jets need him back in the worst way, as their lack of certainty at quarterback is compounded by a lack of weapons on offense.