Geno Smith likes his chances of winning the starting job

Geno Smith AP

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez has been publicly proclaiming that he has no intention of losing his starting job to rookie Geno Smith. But Smith is confident, too.

Smith, the second-round pick from West Virginia, told the Charleston Gazette that he likes his chances.

I feel like I have a great shot,” Smith said. “I did a pretty good job overall of just adapting to the [Jets'] system and playbook and felt very comfortable with it by the end of OTAs and mandatory camp.”

It will be at least a few weeks before either Smith or Sanchez has done enough to earn the starting job, but Smith believes he has what it takes to separate himself.

“Going into training camp I’ve got a great opportunity and feel very good about it,” Smith said. “I’m going to go in there with the right mentality, the same mentality I had throughout my entire career, which is to work hard, to better myself and help my teammates get better and we’ll see what happens at the end of preseason.”

For the Jets, Smith winning the starting job would be a sign of hope that the franchise quarterback of the future has arrived. Then again, a couple years ago, that’s what they thought about Sanchez.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Geno Smith likes his chances of winning the starting job”
  1. 4512dawg4512 says: Jul 22, 2013 6:24 AM

Interesting how so many teams passed on him because they just didn’t like him as a person

2. conseannery says: Jul 22, 2013 6:35 AM

Oh Jets fans, I almost feel bad for you.

Almost.

3. deanvernonwormer says: Jul 22, 2013 6:35 AM

Altho0ugh limited, Sanchez was improving each of his first two seasons. After the Jets lost to the Steelers in that championship game, the Jets, for no explicable reason other than incompetence, let several key players go replacing them with garbage. This retarded the growth of Sanchez, and bringing in Tebow last season as we all know was a disaster. Rex Ryan should have been FIRED. He is a buffoon and a clown. And Woody, Tanny, and Rexy are primarily to blame for Sanchez’ troubles.

4. 25cuts says: Jul 22, 2013 6:46 AM

Jets will suck no matter….

5. icelovinbrotha215 says: Jul 22, 2013 6:47 AM

So do we Geno. So do we.

6. alewatcher says: Jul 22, 2013 6:49 AM

How could anyone not like their chances against Sanchez?

Sanchez actually looked like a potential QB in his rookie season, but he’s never progressed beyond that.

7. jjb0811 says: Jul 22, 2013 6:54 AM

Time for both QB’s to start throwing and less talking.

8. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 22, 2013 7:05 AM

When you are competing against Mark Sanchez, you have to love your chances, even if you are a destined failure like Geno.

9. itsmammoth says: Jul 22, 2013 7:11 AM

Looks like T.O. just passed the NFL’s “Drama Queen” torch.

10. zoxitic says: Jul 22, 2013 7:16 AM

Geno must have watched game film on Sanchez.

11. swagger52 says: Jul 22, 2013 7:42 AM

The only reason Mark Sanchez ever looked good is because he plays in the AFC L east. It doesn’t take much. Brady plays six games a year in that division. That division has extended Brady’s career and pumped up his stats.

12. justafanofitall says: Jul 22, 2013 7:44 AM

A sign of a great QB is what you can do with what you have. Sanchez couldn’t win if he had the receivers the Packers do….he just doesn’t have the skills. Move on…..let Smith see what he can do.

13. curfster33 says: Jul 22, 2013 7:49 AM

He also liked his chances of being the 1st overall pick in the draft. Wonder if he is going to pout and be uncoachable if he’s not leading the huddle week 1. Per season will decide if he gets the job I’m sure. Time will tell, so ready for football season.

14. officialgame says: Jul 22, 2013 7:51 AM

I do to. He is much faster the Sanchez when it comes to running for your life. Something Jets QB’s have to excel at.

15. mazzstar30 says: Jul 22, 2013 7:55 AM

Geno should break into the training facility at night and set all video playback equipment to loop “the butt fumble”… In like sin!

16. strokeytheclown says: Jul 22, 2013 8:13 AM

I don’t think it’s a matter of him winning the job as much it is about Sanchez losing it.

17. rukkus1 says: Jul 22, 2013 8:18 AM

Whoever “wins” the starting job, will phave a job “losing” week in and week out. Funny how that works out.

18. jetsoptimist says: Jul 22, 2013 8:23 AM

Everybody knows you will get a chance to start Geno. Just keep studying and learning. Your time will come. I don’t really believe its a true competition. I think because of Rex’s job status Sanchez will win the job initially, but can he hold on to his starter status? Of course If Sanchez wins I want him to remain the starter because that means the Jets are winning. So whoever wins it best of luck!

19. tfppft says: Jul 22, 2013 8:23 AM

I like his chances too. Not sure how much that’s saying though. Heck, if I was there I’d like my chances.

20. Patriot42 says: Jul 22, 2013 8:31 AM

I see another circus coming out of New York.

21. pisano says: Jul 22, 2013 8:36 AM

Most Jet fans also like his chances, but Jet fans would like anyone other than Sanchez. Jet fans have had, and seen more than enough of Sanchez.

22. conormacleod says: Jul 22, 2013 8:37 AM

Well, that shouldn’t make things even more awkward in Jets camp…if that’s even possible.

23. buckhuckster says: Jul 22, 2013 8:59 AM

When competing against Mark Sanchez, of course you’re going to like your chances.

24. agcooney108 says: Jul 22, 2013 9:06 AM

Dean, so why should have Rex haven gotten fired? Is it his fault his GM signed Sanchez and Holmes were given two of the worst contracts in league and old players were kept on the team for too long? Rex is one of the best coaches in the league, you don’t make to two afc championships by luck

25. jcc5169 says: Jul 22, 2013 9:11 AM

After what the Jets did to Tim Tebow’s career, they deserve what they are going to get.

26. sfm073 says: Jul 22, 2013 9:25 AM

In the history of sports, has anyone answered no to a question like this? What is he supposed to say to this question “umm no mark is better than I am and I really don’t think I’ll play this year”.

27. dryzzt23 says: Jul 22, 2013 9:44 AM

I don’t like this kid, too much bravado, too much ego, too much hype.
    He’ll be crying after his first game vs a Bill Belichik defense.

28. classyjacklambert says: Jul 22, 2013 9:50 AM

I love it! Sanchez never really fit in with the Jets because he was fairly talentless and not as outspoken as the rest of the team. Now they’ll have a QB who is equally as much a loud mouth and underachiever as the rest of the team! Jets fans have to be psyched!

29. evilfrasiercrane says: Jul 22, 2013 10:04 AM

It’s good that he thinks he has a shot at starting but I just don’t see it. This guy reminds me too much of Terrelle Pryor – a good athlete but not a good QB. He has already showed signs of stupidity by firing his agent because he dropped in the draft. And there’s a reason every other team left him slide also. Sanchez might not be the athlete that Smith is, but he’s not dumb. He’s just not the long term answer.

30. securb2013 says: Jul 22, 2013 11:15 AM

Can’t wait to see Cam Wake coming at this kid from one side and Dion Jordan charging in from the other. Get ready for Butt Fumble II

31. olcap says: Jul 22, 2013 11:17 AM

I don’t like his chances mainly for the reason that Rex already has a “special” interest in one of the other Jets QBs. That guy will get the starting job AGAIN.

32. newcomer2013 says: Jul 22, 2013 11:19 AM

Why do some players feel they need to toot their own horn? The real good players let their play speak for it self. Let the fans toot your horns when you prove what you can do on the field.

33. brettfavresmidget says: Jul 22, 2013 11:23 AM

Winning NY Jets QB job : Prepping to be a 1st round draft pick and getting drafted in the the 2nd

34. fordmandalay says: Jul 22, 2013 11:30 AM

Giving Smith the starting job would mean Ryan and the Jests admitting they were actually WRONG about Sanchez, so it ain’t gonna happen.

35. swagger52 says: Jul 22, 2013 1:08 PM

Geno = Ringling
    Sanchez = Bailey

Its Barnum 24X7 in the AFC L east

36. jrcoop says: Jul 22, 2013 10:12 PM

A couple years ago he was Sanchize, not Sanchez, AKA, BF.

37. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 23, 2013 10:09 PM

I like his chances too and if he can’t beat out Sanchez, then he is not an NFL QB.