Jeff Demps will run at worlds, delaying Bucs debut

New England Patriots  v Tampa Bay Buccaneers

It is entirely possible that the anticipation of Jeff Demps’ football career will last longer than his football career.

And it’s possible that his leg in the relay might as well.

According to Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune, the track star/return man has accepted an invitation to join the United States 4×100 relay team at the IAAF World Championships in Moscow next month.

The U.S. is always among the favorites in that event, and the final will be held Aug. 18.

That means Demps won’t join the Buccaneers until late in the preseason, which could throw a kink in his attempt to be a two-sport star. A similar late arrival in Patriots camp last year led to him being stashed on IR.

“We’ve had conversations with the Bucs and they’re excited about having Jeff,” agent Daniel Rose said. “And so it will be interesting to see how it goes. I wish I could give everyone a date certain for when he’ll be there but I can’t.”

The Bucs could use the help in the return game, and traded running back LeGarrette Blount to the Patriots for Demps this spring.

Of course, that looks like offloading a problem (a la the Eric Wright deal), so the cost is negligible if they decide to not bother with the experiment.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
12 Responses to “Jeff Demps will run at worlds, delaying Bucs debut”
  1. ccjcsr says: Jul 22, 2013 2:50 PM

Camp body anyways, not need to hurry back. Last time I checked Football wasn’t about having straightline speed. It helps but overrated in my opinion.

2. jh500 says: Jul 22, 2013 2:56 PM

someone needs to tell this kid where the money is

3. raiderufan says: Jul 22, 2013 2:58 PM

I think it’s fairly safe to say that football is not Mr Demps top priority.

4. ampats says: Jul 22, 2013 3:00 PM

Agent Daniel Rose says,

Which is why he is no longer a new England Patriot as football is second to him.

5. patriottony says: Jul 22, 2013 3:12 PM

LMAO..ok dude will run in MOSCOW…get himself a medal,,and ecasue he is such dufus,,it will end in a pawn shop within a year. You can’t faem in the bank…tell me who were the last 4 guys to win the relay for the US? YOU can’t,,,he had a window,,and offers..to secure his future $$$,,but nope.

6. swampcannons says: Jul 22, 2013 3:18 PM

I’d rather him miss time to represent the USA internationally than suspended due to DUI/assault/failed drug test etc. which sadly seems to be the norm anymore. Who knows it might work out that a delayed report to one buc place might come at a convenient time for both parties. I hope the Bucs can retain him for his speed but if they don’t it’s business as usual in the NFL and is to be expected. Good luck in Moscow Mr. Demps and Go Bucs!!

7. andrewluck12 says: Jul 22, 2013 3:21 PM

maybe demps ‘disrespected’ hernandez so he’s taking the snowden approach and hiding out in moscow.

8. stlunatik says: Jul 22, 2013 3:38 PM

D U M M Y

9. redmosquito16 says: Jul 22, 2013 3:43 PM

patriottony says:
    Jul 22, 2013 3:12 PM
    —————————————————-

And Demps is the “dufus”?

10. j0esixpack says: Jul 22, 2013 4:24 PM

Football is clearly secondary to him (which is why the Patriots traded him) but you got to hand it to a guy for passing on hundreds of thousands in NFL salary for his love of the sport of Track.

That’s pretty rare and he deserves some respect for that.

11. koolaidcircusbeast says: Jul 22, 2013 7:14 PM

I can’t believe some of you are knocking a guy for wanting to achieve more than one goal in life. Money isn’t a measure of every man’s success.

Also, Blount should never be compared to a turd like Wright; he’s never been suspended or arrested. He gets a worse rap than he deserves.

12. patriotenvy says: Jul 22, 2013 11:40 PM

They have Tiquan Underwood anyway. Now that is a team player!