Josh Gordon apologizes, says priorities in order

Josh Gordon AP

Browns wide receiver was busy apologizing for stuff Monday — his two-game suspension, being a Miami Heat fan — but said as he reported to camp that his mission were clear.

“My priorities are definitely in order, definitely in line,” Gordon said, via Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal. “I still got a job to come out here and do every day. I’ve got to be accountable and be a grown man, help provide for me and my family. So I do definitely have my priorities in order.”

Of course, it’ll be a little harder to provide without the four game checks he’s also missing, as a result of violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Gordon apparently made several references to his statement from June, insisting the test was for codeine, and that the league’s levying less than the maximum punishment was a sign in his favor.

Asked if he had a substance abuse issue, Gordon replied: “It wasn’t recreational use.”

“The fact that it happened, it was beyond me,” Gordon said. “It was one of those things you just really couldn’t control. The statement of it actually already came out in my previous statement in June, and there’s not too much I can comment on.”

Of course, Gordon’s track record, which includes multiple failed marijuana tests in college, casts the suspension in a different light.

“It’s something that’s in the past,” Gordon said. “It’s still going to gloom over me for a long time. But I’ve still got a long way to go, a lot to prove to the fans here, to the people here. It’s just another obstacle in my way of getting there.”

Whether he’s able to clear those obstacles remains to be seen, but he should know he has to be more vigilant.

He was given a second chance for those college issues by a previous administration, but now has a new coach and personnel department to prove himself to, along with a Browns fan base which he’s irritated for several reasons.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Josh Gordon apologizes, says priorities in order”
  1. prideandpoise says: Jul 22, 2013 1:56 PM

I thought he was only suspended 2 games.

2. erock0129 says: Jul 22, 2013 1:58 PM

I understand what Josh is saying….we all make mistakes. I do hope he is smart enough to understand where he is and what he has the potential to be….

3. skinsfanwill says: Jul 22, 2013 2:01 PM

He’s out of 2 game checks not 4.

4. skinsfanwill says: Jul 22, 2013 2:02 PM

I sure wish he could have latched on with the Skins and been reunited with RG3. Cleveland will find some way to waste him and his talent away.

5. rawbbqsauce says: Jul 22, 2013 2:02 PM

So he got suspended an extra 2 games for being a Miami Heat fan?

6. Dylon Wilder says: Jul 22, 2013 2:11 PM

He was only suspended for two games but docked four game checks.

7. pmars64 says: Jul 22, 2013 2:23 PM

I think the NFL’s drug policy is such a crock. I don’t have any doubt that there are many, probably the majority taking some kind of PED. I don’t believe for a moment Gordon was suspended for codeine as he says because he’s a pothead and has been since college. But if he getting suspended for that, it’s just BS. He’s a 22 year old kid. When I was 22 I didn’t have any clue what I was doing. I was chasing tail, partying, blowing my parents money on college, etc. I can’t imagine what I’would have been like if I was making 6 or 7 figures. How can we expect a kid like this with cash in his pocket to be a stand-up, mature guy?

I hope he makes it through because, pound for pound, he may the most talented kid the Browns have. He was easily the best rookie WR last year and, despite the criticism, the Browns were right to draft him.

8. godofwine330 says: Jul 22, 2013 2:52 PM

@ skinsfanwill says:Jul 22, 2013 2:01 PM

He’s out of 2 game checks not 4.
    ***********

Actually, he is only suspended 2 games, he forfeited 4 game checks.

That said, I don’t understand why the person had a valid enough excuse to reduce the penalty, but they are still punished. If the cop says, “Why were you speeding?” and I say, “Look officer, my wife is in labor…see?” The cop should say, “Alright, then,” and not, “Well, here is a $200 ticket anyway.”

I assume the NFL called the doctor and the doctor showed them that he prescribed the codine cough syrup, so all should be well. It’s not like the dude was getting his Lil Wayne on. If the doctor’s excuse fits, he must not sit…or something.

9. NoWearMan says: Jul 22, 2013 2:53 PM

Suggestion: know the subject matter prior to commenting.

Gordon was suspended for two games but docked four game checks as a previous commenter correctly pointed out.

Thanks for playing.

10. hibrownsfan says: Jul 22, 2013 6:05 PM

Thats great that he’s saying all the right things but the truth is actions speak louder than words. So lets see you show us you’re got your priorities straight.