Ray Lewis careful with words about Hernandez

The 2013 ESPY Awards - Show Getty Images

As you might imagine, Ray Lewis is confident in his abilities as a television analyst.

But he left himself plenty of wiggle room to avoid talking about one of the things people would most like to hear from him.

Lewis talked about his future role at ESPN with Richard Deitsch of SI.com, and said he thought “the sky is the limit for me.”

“A lot of people have only been introduced to my football mentality — and it is hard to get people to understand the football mentality unless you’ve lived it,” Lewis said. “I think I am totally different when I’m not thinking about battle, and I’m going to try to be the best at this.

“When people learn my personality and actually get into my head, they are going to be surprised by the way I think on an everyday and every-second basis.”

Of course, many people would like to hear what he has to say about the Aaron Hernandez case, given his own background with such situations. Lewis, as you might remember, pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice after being initially charged in a double murder 13 years ago.

But when Deitsch asked if he should be part of the Hernandez discussion, Lewis backpedaled a bit.

“It would only be to give a brief explanation on what you know,” Lewis said. “Because if you are talking about getting into the case — what happened, how it happened — that’s the judge’s job, that’s the police’s job. Having gone through the things I have been through, what I learned from that is everybody has something they want to say, and 80 percent of them are illiterate.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Aaron Hernandez case, Baltimore Ravens, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
80 Responses to “Ray Lewis careful with words about Hernandez”
  1. skinswillsurprise says: Jul 23, 2013 10:13 AM

I would too! AH is crazy!!

2. floratiotime says: Jul 23, 2013 10:16 AM

It’s professional courtesy.

3. zmoney916 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:16 AM

Classiest guy in football, murder+deer antler spray=hero

4. zmoney916 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:16 AM

Classiest guy in football, murder+deer antler spray=hero.

5. anonymousraven1 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:16 AM

“So, to recap, you can’t really explain football the way Lewis can unless you’ve lived it. But if you’ve lived through a legal situation with similarities to one in the news right now, that might be best left for someone else to explain.”

Neither of those are really what he said, but I’m glad to see you have the same reading comprehension as the average commenter on here.

6. whatnojets says: Jul 23, 2013 10:16 AM

“everybody has something they want to say, and 80 percent of them are illiterate.”

In other words, let your lawyer do the talking for you!!!

7. selldannysell says: Jul 23, 2013 10:16 AM

Nope. No double standard, at all!

8. se7enzig says: Jul 23, 2013 10:21 AM

Maybe it’s because he knows football but still doesn’t understand why he was acquitted him 13 years ago.

9. The Prophet says: Jul 23, 2013 10:24 AM

I just love that places like PFT and other fans aren’t forgetting what happened with Ray Lewis, and while he escaped from the court of law, in the court of public opinion, many of us will not forget or overlook. So many of football players crimes (legal and moral) get washed away over time but not Ray Lewis and I think that’s awesome!

That being said I don’t think anyone appreciates his career more than Ray Lewis himself because I’ll bet he knows that he could’ve been in prison instead of the HOF career that he had, and the money he spent on the family of the guy that took the rap for him was money well spent.

10. carltonbanks26 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:25 AM

Hear come all the “that murdering gangsta Ray Lewis killed 2 people!!!!!11!” comments from people ignorant as to the facts of the case.

Yes, he did something wrong & criminal.
    But no, he is not a murderer.

11. idonthavethebloodyoucrave says: Jul 23, 2013 10:25 AM

At BEST, you (Ray Lewis) covered up a double murder … At BEST.

This clown is lower than scum and it’s too bad karma doesn’t exist.

12. bucrightoff says: Jul 23, 2013 10:26 AM

Praise the Lord! Any you can get away with almost anything! Hallelujah!

13. frankdatank23 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:26 AM

Yeah we remember your pledge before the holdout ray, we’ve seen how your mind works away from football.
    “watch how much crime, how much EVIL comes out”

14. ravensterps says: Jul 23, 2013 10:27 AM

I love how people still bring up deer antler spray. You all do know that it’s scientifically impossible to ingest the “steroids” in deer antlers through a spray, right?

15. blacknole08 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:34 AM

If I were Lewis I wouldn’t comment either. I think he’s just saying that we should let the legal system play out because right now all there is really is speculation.

We know Hernandez is involved, but did he pull the trigger or not? I believe he did, but until that’s proven, it’s all speculation.

16. brutus9448 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:34 AM

OMG espn must be pretty desperate to have this guy on.

Who wants to hear a murderer talk on TV?

17. crubenst says: Jul 23, 2013 10:35 AM

80% of the people who say something can’t read? Brilliant start to your career in speaking Ray.

18. dietrich43 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:36 AM

I never understood why he was a media darling. ESPN was bad enough, but Lewis makes it unwatchable.

19. LynnBal says: Jul 23, 2013 10:36 AM

Whatever the people (i.e. media) are begging to know about what happened that night the transcripts of the entire case are available with a quick Google search.

20. Slim Charles says: Jul 23, 2013 10:37 AM

I guess Ray is lucky that video surveillance wasn’t as abundant when he did his double homicide

21. thereep says: Jul 23, 2013 10:39 AM

What’s the over/under of how many times he’ll cry on the air this year?

22. slick50ks says: Jul 23, 2013 10:41 AM

Un-indicted murderer knows murder.

23. granadafan says: Jul 23, 2013 10:47 AM

I don’t think Ray Lewis knows what the word illiterate actually means. He’s starting to sound like Mike Tyson after he came out of prison and started to use multi-syllable words.

24. bulovma0 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:48 AM

Ray Ray go away, come again another day

25. kepdogg23 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:50 AM

“Oh wait, I can’t be tried again? Yeah I think Hernandez messed up bad, that guy has no clue how to destroy evidence.”

26. schmitty2 says: Jul 23, 2013 10:52 AM

60% of the time Lewis is an idiot every time.

27. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 23, 2013 10:55 AM

crubenst says:
    Jul 23, 2013 10:35 AM

I guess I can’t read either because I have no idea what you just wrote.

28. thejuddstir says: Jul 23, 2013 11:00 AM

” 80 percent of them are illiterate.”……..talk about the kettle calling the pot black. and then there is this quote, ” You can’t speak about something you do not know”……rayray apparently won’t talk about something that he does know either. If the NFL really wants to clean up their act, they will not elect a cheater and murderer to the HOF and as for ESPN, their reputation can’t be hurt any further but it matters me not because I quit tuning them in years ago when they started “making up the news” instead of reporting it.

29. heisthejuan says: Jul 23, 2013 11:00 AM

Ray Lewis might end up making Emmit Smith look like he was an articulate speaker. When you put Ray’s word on the page, it’s gibberish.

30. jnbnet says: Jul 23, 2013 11:04 AM

I wonder if he started to cry while he spewed forth his words of wisdom.

31. billsfan1 says: Jul 23, 2013 11:04 AM

oops, murderer, not murdered..

but i digress, you are still a clown

32. dylanssongwriter says: Jul 23, 2013 11:06 AM

Ray is going to be tremendousful on ESPN

33. johnnythek1 says: Jul 23, 2013 11:07 AM

Oh come on… what do you expect him to say? “Hernandez ain’t got nothin’ on me when it comes to popping a cap on someone”??

Actually what he said was right. Leave it to the police and judicial system. There has been too much speculation on this anyway.

34. jayniner says: Jul 23, 2013 11:12 AM

Thanks for letting us know Ray is going to ESPN. With football right around the corner, I think I’ll actually pony up for the NFL Sunday ticket this year to avoid having to watch and listen to this clown during ESPN/NFL highlights….

35. eaglesnoles05 says: Jul 23, 2013 11:13 AM

New Webster’s Definition of illiterate = very perceptive with a keen insight to delineate between guilty double-talk and whatever people involved in murder are trying to make you believe.

36. deathonwings410 says: Jul 23, 2013 11:22 AM

Ray Lewis haters swamp this in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1….

37. sbchampsagain says: Jul 23, 2013 11:22 AM

Seems like the author of this post wishes he had Ray’s new job. Green is not becoming on you, Darin!

38. denverwally says: Jul 23, 2013 11:40 AM

A man is charged with obstruction of justice in a double murder, and the Ravens were happy to give him his job back.
    Hernandez is charged with what was first thought to be obstruction of justice (later revealed to be murder) and the Patriots cut him loose before the charges are even announced, not wanting to be associated with something so violent and heinous.

So tell me Brian Billick, which franchise is really the screwed up one?

39. aldavis4president says: Jul 23, 2013 11:43 AM

Lol are the same fools who say Zimmerman is innocent. The law spoke 14yrs ago. SHAATUUPP about it Alrdy.

40. jwil007 says: Jul 23, 2013 11:44 AM

You know what I dont understand is all the judging pompous fans who continue and are convinced this man stabbed 2 guys while ALL other guys stodd and watched…. Listen fans research the freeking the case pull it up read why his charges were reduced…The POSSE committed the murders 2 in fact and the Fulton County DA botched the case and jury let the 2 men(friends of Lewis’s) off due to self defense…What many people dont realize is the Ohip boys were instigators they also had guns too as evidenced by the bullets in the limo so why are these guys ANGELS????? He was wrong for Obstruction but remember he got on the stand and testified AGAINST his friends and they GOT! Again research the case people…And Im not even a Ravens fan…I just hate when judgmental fans continue to run their mouths with total ignorance….Pull the case up!

41. overratedsteelerhater says: Jul 23, 2013 11:44 AM

don’t like don’t watch!!!!the man knows about football,thats all he is being asked to do..

42. rushmatic says: Jul 23, 2013 11:44 AM

carltonbanks26 says:

Yes, he did something wrong & criminal.
    But no, he is not a murderer.

_______________

We weren’t there, no, but neither were you. Relax. You’re speculating based on personal biases and opinions as much as the rest of us.

43. pinion8ted says: Jul 23, 2013 11:50 AM

ravensterps says: Jul 23, 2013 10:27 AM

——————————————————–
    Why would he take it if it didn’t work?

44. budmanjim says: Jul 23, 2013 11:51 AM

Hard to believe ESPN hired this guy!! I for one, will never watch him…

45. pinion8ted says: Jul 23, 2013 11:51 AM

Two words, Ray:

White suit

46. whiningpatriotfans says: Jul 23, 2013 11:54 AM

What Ray Lewis did was MUCH MUCH worse than AH because he didn’t play for the patriots.

I’m starting the #justiceforaaron twitter movement because the police don’t seem to understand that he’s part of the patriot way. That’s a free pass in my book.

Also, I missed Ray’s retirement party here in Boston that was supposed to be on January 20th. How did that go?

47. jiggy3198 says: Jul 23, 2013 11:54 AM

Please please know the facts before spouting off. Ray was in Atlanta in a limo. His two friends got involved in an altercation. The two victims had knives but the two perps had guns. Feeling threatened they drew their weapons and killed the two men in Self defense. They then fled the scene and ran to Rays limo where he let them in and took off. The limo was then fired upon resulting in gun shot holes in the limo. Ray was no where near the shooting but was wrong in the fact that he left the scene and most likely tried to protect friends only later to realize his mistake and cooperate. The men were subsequently tried and found innocent due to self defense. It is known that these men did the killing in self defense and no one accused ray of anything involving the murder. So please unless you know the facts please do not comment. Thank you.

48. alphaq2 says: Jul 23, 2013 11:59 AM

Obviously Ray Lewis doesn’t know what illiterate means? What an idiot.

49. denverwally says: Jul 23, 2013 12:01 PM

50. infectorman says: Jul 23, 2013 12:02 PM

_______________________

Sure you can. You do it all the time St. Ray.
    You know nothing about piety, forgiveness, contrition, honesty and God, yet you talk about it til were all collectively blue in the face

51. infectorman says: Jul 23, 2013 12:04 PM

@whiningpatriotsfan

Bozoforall, you ain’t fooling anyone with your new handle. Tool

52. kepdogg23 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:04 PM

2 Samuel 22:34

He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.

For some reason, I think Ray might actually be reading the Bible!!!

53. nepo784 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:05 PM

No weapon!

54. dickjagger says: Jul 23, 2013 12:07 PM

His point is people are ignorant of the facts and just look at all the people here stating non-facts. The guy who said somebody took the rap for him?! WHO TOOK THE RAP? Nobody was convicted of the murder, smart guy! Just another group of people jumping on the pile based on what they here other ignorant people say. Get a life!

55. CKL says: Jul 23, 2013 12:08 PM

I hate Ray Ray but I do not believe he’s a murderer. I hate how everything he says is always so overdramatic in tone and wording like he’s some fire and brimstone preacher. That alone will make me not listen to him.

56. kepdogg23 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:16 PM

Is there any truth to the report that ESPN is considering a segment titled Today’s Irrelevant, Incoherent Quote of a Bible Verse?

57. dtlb58 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:21 PM

But yet he uses the phrase “Police’s” job. Could have done a little better there. But I’m sure that’s what we will come to expect from him.

I for one will have the TV on another network, or at least muted.

58. eglsfan says: Jul 23, 2013 12:22 PM

NO WEAPON!!!! (sob, sob)
    NO WEAPON (more unconsolable crying)
    NO WEAPON…..

59. fatsack1 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:24 PM

Ray Lewis is winning at life…..

60. eglsfan says: Jul 23, 2013 12:24 PM

Ray Lewis the Emmitt Smith of Pastors….

61. marty2020 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:25 PM

Ask Ray Lewis any question, and his answer is “I…I…I… my … my… I… myself… I… my… me… me… “

62. scoobies05 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:27 PM

denverwally…everyone knows who killed them. two guys(ray’s friends) were tried for murder and were ruled to have acted in self defense because they were attacked. there were no murders. if you dont like ray thats fine and i get it. but it doesnt change the facts which are all in the public record

63. SAV says: Jul 23, 2013 12:27 PM

Ray Ray said it best 80% of you are illiterate

64. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 23, 2013 12:36 PM

“To this day Ray knows who murdered those men. And to this day he will not say, protecting a murderer.
    What a fine upstanding man he is. I’m sure the families of the deceased are big Ray Lewis and Ravens fans.”

Strange, but the transcript of the trial in which Ray Lewis testified doesn’t support your ridiculously ignorant comment at all. Have you always had the propensity to make up stuff in order get attention. or are you just feeling particularly lonely today?

65. conormacleod says: Jul 23, 2013 12:38 PM

The more Ray talks, the more I wish he was still playing.

66. themackstrong says: Jul 23, 2013 12:47 PM

PFT let this post because I want people see the hypocrisy and bigotry they show behind anonymity. I see some of the same posters here calling Ray Lewis a murderer (he was acquitted) and yet claiming Zimmerman (acquitted too) who killed Martin did nothing wrong. Lets just say if I ever faced a courtroom I wouldn’t want any of you passing judgement on me.

67. donniev77 says: Jul 23, 2013 12:58 PM

carltonbanks26 says:

Yes, he did something wrong & criminal.
    But no, he is not a murderer.

_______________

Hear or Here?

Your points carry more credibility when they are presented in proper English. The facts are Ray Lewis WAS INVOLVED in a case in which 2 people were murdered.

68. denverdude7 says: Jul 23, 2013 1:11 PM

“You have to be careful with it. You can’t speak about something you do not know. Give your opinion, and keep it moving from there.” – Ray Lewis, ESPN
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray has to be careful about what he says about the Hernandez case. One little slip and the truth about the events of 13 years ago just might finally be known.

69. steelbloggin says: Jul 23, 2013 1:11 PM

And the ESPY for “I know everything, and 80% of you all are illiterate” goes to..

70. bobzilla1001 says: Jul 23, 2013 1:15 PM

Ray-Ray brings NOTHING to the table, which leaves ESPN with a stable of know-nothings.

71. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 23, 2013 1:19 PM

Are you talking about or to yourself? You described yourself to a t….good job.

72. djstat says: Jul 23, 2013 1:46 PM

It’s amazing how ignorant so many people are. Read the case file on Lewis. Every eyewitness had him as a peace maker. The prosecutor said as much. No other evidence. Stop calling him a murderer.

73. jwil007 says: Jul 23, 2013 1:50 PM

Its amazing how people dislike the facts just so they can continue to judge right? I’m with you I like to read the facts! Many people here just like to judge…Over and over and over again fans continue to say Ray committed the murders…Ignorance at its best….

74. melikefootball says: Jul 23, 2013 1:55 PM

ESPN creditability dropped when they hired Ray Lewis.

75. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 23, 2013 2:26 PM

“Are you talking about or to yourself?”

No, I wasn’t talking about “or” to myself, whatever that means, illiterate.

“You described yourself to a t….good job.”

Oh, I get it. It’s the old, “I know you are but what am I.” Good comeback, Pee Wee. Keep the zingers coming. The third grade can’t stop laughing.

76. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 23, 2013 2:40 PM

A bit testy today are we skippy? Your sense of humor needs help… You are so childish when you get angry….it’s too easy to yank your chain…have a great day sonny.

77. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 23, 2013 2:42 PM

“ESPN creditability dropped when they hired Ray Lewis.”

What exactly is creditability? The ability to obtain credit? My! All the geniuses are posting today.

78. j0esixpack says: Jul 23, 2013 3:14 PM

Hernandez could really benefit from some advice from Lewis:

#1 – snitch on your friends before they snitch on you

#2 – when you destroy evidence MAKE SURE you ACTUALLY destroy evidence

Following those two simple rules will keep you out of jail, and on ESPN

79. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 23, 2013 3:24 PM

All the geniuses are posting today.

Thank you so very much, but hopefully you aren’t arrogant enough to include yourself….oh wait yes you are…now it’s not a compliment…oh well maybe someday I’ll get there like you.

80. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 23, 2013 4:52 PM

j0esixpack says:
    Jul 23, 2013 3:14 PM
    Hernandez could really benefit from some advice from Lewis:
    #1 – snitch on your friends before they snitch on you
    #2 – when you destroy evidence MAKE SURE you ACTUALLY destroy evidence
    Following those two simple rules will keep you out of jail, and on ESPN

Well said! I guess that’s why they call you Joesixpack and not JoeCollegeGraduate