Tom Brady on Aaron Hernandez: I have moved on

Divisional Playoffs - Houston Texans v New England Patriots Getty Images

Patriots coach Bill Belichick will meet the media on Wednesday for the first time since Aaron Hernandez’s arrest on a murder charge and release from the Patriots, but the man who threw passes to Hernandez for three years has weighed in on Tuesday.

Tom Brady spoke to Peter King of The MMQB and his response to a question about how the Patriots offense will proceed without Hernandez in the mix is probably a pretty good indication of how things will go when Belichick steps to the podium. Brady doesn’t mention Hernandez by name once, although he does make a few references to putting the best interests of the team ahead of individual agendas, and doesn’t show the slightest bit of worry about not having a talented player in the lineup while focusing on winning with the people who are currently on the roster.

“I’ve seen a lot of things over 13 years, and what I have learned is that mental toughness and putting aside personal agendas for what’s in the best interest of the team matters most,” Brady said. “My job is to play quarterback, and I’m going to do that the best way I know how, because I owe that to my teammates regardless of who is out there on the field with me. I have moved on. I’m focusing on the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games. The only thing I care about is winning. Nothing is going to ever get in the way of that goal. I’m just excited to report to camp and see what we can accomplish as a team. The fate of our season will be determined by the players in our locker room — nothing else.”

It’s the response you’d expect and the only verbal one Patriots players and coaches can give about the situation in football terms. They will indeed win or lose because of the players in their locker room and repeating that as much as possible is as good a course as any to take against the questions about Hernandez that will come their way.

The actual replacement of Hernandez’s production will be a little more difficult than repeating well-worn lines about only talking about the people in the room, however.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Tom Brady on Aaron Hernandez: I have moved on”
  1. ozymandias121 says: Jul 23, 2013 3:40 PM

I didn’t know the 2 were dating.

2. vbe2 says: Jul 23, 2013 3:41 PM

It’s time for you all to move on too, until the trial or other breaking news.

3. psmith7716 says: Jul 23, 2013 3:44 PM

I am not a big Brady fan or a Pats follower, but Tom answered the question the way we would want our QB and players to answer similar questions if it were our team situation. He is all about winning.

4. whatnojets says: Jul 23, 2013 3:46 PM

Who wrote that statement for Brady???

5. blahblahblah1313 says: Jul 23, 2013 3:46 PM

I will give you 3-1 that although it will take more than 1 player to absorb the loss, the Pats will not really miss Hernandez. He has been in and out of the lineup with injuries anyway and they did fine. That is what well coached and well prepared teams do. Now if he and Gronk are both out that may be a different story since Welker is gone and Amendola is an unproven commodity. About the only indispensable (sp?) player on the Pats is Brady and even he was replaceable several years ago. NOT a Pats fan. Just sayin’…

6. hanifmiller says: Jul 23, 2013 3:47 PM

Actually, this is Tom Brady being honest not “repeating a well worn line.” There are few QB’s who have done more with less than Tom Brady. Historically Brady has not cared who he’s thrown the ball to. He makes mediocre recievers great. And personally, I hate the guy.

7. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 23, 2013 3:47 PM

Actually the coaching staff can do a lot of things to affect the final results. They call the shots on the tactics and if they make bad odds decisions, then that can in fact derail their season. Not to mention those players aren’t working alone and it’s up to the coaches to do their job to help maximize their potential contributions. I don’t agree with Brady’s assessment, it flat out isn’t accurate as to what determines football results on the field.

He’s just wrong.

8. strokinmyego says: Jul 23, 2013 3:48 PM

People (the media) expecting Belichick or any of the Patriots players to say anything drastically different from Brady did will be very disappointed. This is how the Patriots operate, it’s served them well in the past and will serve them well this upcoming season.

Hernandez’s on field production won’t be easy to replicate but he did miss about half the season last year and the Patriots managed to average 40 points per game in the games he did not play in.

Getting Gronk back healthy is the most important thing for the Patriots, not the Hernandez situation.

9. richardmb52 says: Jul 23, 2013 3:48 PM

Great answer, he killed it

10. xsherr says: Jul 23, 2013 3:49 PM

Rock on, Tom. Queue the haters.

11. somekat says: Jul 23, 2013 3:50 PM

It’s not going to happen, but it would certainly be interesting if he was found not guilty and got his job back with the Pats

12. patriots123456 says: Jul 23, 2013 3:52 PM

Former Patriot players have come forward and said Bill tells them what subjects they can and cannot comment on.

You get fined if you talk about subjects you’re not supposed to talk about. Second offense usually gets you a ticket out of Foxborough.

Bill basically says, you can only win with the people you have here, so why even dwell on others.

It’s worked so far and curbs the media circus attempts.

13. Steeler's Didn't-but-Will-eventually says: Jul 23, 2013 3:52 PM

I doubt any Patriot is going to offer up gossip on Hernandez, least of all BB or TB. Leave them alone.

14. ampats says: Jul 23, 2013 3:54 PM

Whether you’re a Pats fan or you hate the Pats, Tom Brady is and has always been all about the team.

There is not one other player in the NFL I would rather have as the face of the franchise.

Tom Brady shows what a leader is !

15. marvsleezy says: Jul 23, 2013 3:54 PM

Id like to see him open up more, like a real human being. Think about it, if he told us how he really felt about the whole thing with no holds barred, would that prevent the Patriots from winning games?

It all such junk – Its a pro-sport – AKA the entertainment industry.

And thank Peter King for playing into it by not asking a follow up question.

16. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 23, 2013 3:55 PM

What’s the matter Tom, you too good and proper to hang out with an alleged murderer? Elitist.

17. blacknole08 says: Jul 23, 2013 3:56 PM

This is why Brady is in a league of his own. Hernandez ordeal has nothing to do with football, so Brady really has no need to address it while he is working.

That sounds like a man who is focused on who is there and a man who wants to win.

18. patriotenvy says: Jul 23, 2013 3:56 PM

I wish Tom was my commanding officer.

19. mattwalshvideo says: Jul 23, 2013 3:56 PM

You’ve seen a lot of the defensive signals illegally in those 13 years.

20. jimmyt says: Jul 23, 2013 3:57 PM

“The only thing I care about is winning. Nothing is going to ever get in the way of that goal. Including annoying little things like rules against cheating.”

21. moerawn says: Jul 23, 2013 3:57 PM

Good answer Brady. Mike Pouncey, on the other hand, is baking a cake with a file in it.

22. jnbnet says: Jul 23, 2013 3:57 PM

Its not much different than losing a player for the year. Of course you would have to consider this a permanent injury. You have to move on and focus on who is there…not who is missing. Its one thing the Patriots are good at.

23. fryeways says: Jul 23, 2013 3:59 PM

Tom is always on the money with his win-first mentality. Just another reason he’s my choice for the best of all time.

24. qweststrike2008 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:00 PM

Same thing you told that hollywood skank that you knocked up.

Nice job, Tommy boy….

25. jayniner says: Jul 23, 2013 4:06 PM

But to Welker, Brady says “I can’t quit you”

26. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:08 PM

I think the Patriots will make another sign or trade to bolster their depleted receiver core, and my Eagles seem to have an abundance of TEs and WRs fighting for rosters spots. Brent Celek, James Casey, and Zach Ertz are all locks to make the roster, leaving the very productive and reliable Clay Harbor on the outside looking in. He’s got soft hands, hes super athletic, he is effective in the redzone, and hes a strong blocker. Also, you have 6’3″ Riley Cooper, 6’2″ Arrelious Benn, and 6’7″ Ifeanyi Momah, all big and physical WRs fighting for a spot on the 53-man roster. I think the Eagles and Patriots can mutually benefit from working out a deal…

27. rooneyruleblues says: Jul 23, 2013 4:08 PM

Peter King has been a Shill for fir the Patriots for so long they should have gave him a ring by now. The man is such a fraud.

28. bullcharger says: Jul 23, 2013 4:11 PM

thestrategyexpert says:Jul 23, 2013 3:47 PM

He’s just wrong.

—————————-

Are you kidding? he’s not excluding coaches, he’s just saying that players that are not on the team do not have any bearing on the outcome of the games. Namely Hernandez.

29. buckhuckster says: Jul 23, 2013 4:11 PM

I thought Brady was going to bet his 1-year salary that Hernandez is innocent.

30. bullcharger says: Jul 23, 2013 4:16 PM

Steeler’s Didn’t-but-Will-eventually says:Jul 23, 2013 3:52 PM

————————

There’s not much to gossip about. We know every detail about Hernandez now. The same as any Patriots player would know. All they can really comment on is how they feel about it, which I am sure they won’t comment on. I am sure the answer would be the same as Patriots fans though. It sucks and we wish it never happened. That’s about it.

31. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 23, 2013 4:17 PM

bullcharger:

No, of course I’m not kidding as I’m a fellow UofM grad that idolized Brady at one point in time, so I would never give him a hard time unless he deserved it.

Did you read his quote? He said “nothing else” will affect their fate after talking about “only the players in the locker room”.

32. hehateme2 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:21 PM

Look for a lot of dink and dunk from Miss Brady this season.

33. fanofevilempire says: Jul 23, 2013 4:25 PM

Brady should get a Free Aaron Hernandez hat.

34. hehateme2 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:26 PM

Tom Brady shows what a leader is !?

OMG- I just threw up in my mouth a little.

BTW- Not sure how much of a “leader” he is when he is pouting and whining about not getting his way. Way too coddled to be a leader.

35. pef12 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:27 PM

“Who wrote that statement for Brady???

As sure as hell is hot, Brady had that written for him and somehow he read it verbatim during his interview with Peter King.”

An understandable but misguided question coming from a Jet’s fan. What else would you expect when Bart Scott speaks for the team?

36. nite2al says: Jul 23, 2013 4:38 PM

Of course, he’s all about winning, that’s why Hernandez is on the team in the first place.

37. ccjcsr says: Jul 23, 2013 4:44 PM

Out of sight, out of mind….nothing to see here!

38. whatnojets says: Jul 23, 2013 4:46 PM

pef12 says:
    Jul 23, 2013 4:27 PM

What else would you expect when Bart Scott speaks for the team
    ——————————————-

Bart Scott don’t talk that way…….

39. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Jul 23, 2013 4:47 PM

“I’m focusing on the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games. ”

Umm…like…so…who exactly do you have that is so great and healthy to catch the ball, Tom? Edelman? Dobson?

Just wondering.

40. lanman11 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:50 PM

Spoken like the true NFL MVP of the entire new millenium, which he is.

41. jnbnet says: Jul 23, 2013 4:54 PM

captainwisdom8888 says:
    Jul 23, 2013 4:08 PM

Actually, the Patriots might be better off by waiting until some of these guys get cut….and pick them up for next to nothing.

42. nepo784 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:54 PM

I want to know everything, you better illegally comment on the case as well as your whereabouts the night of the murder! Are you hiding the weapon? How does it feel to be an accomplice? Why won’t you confess that this is all your fault?! – said every Boston media talking head

43. steelers4385 says: Jul 23, 2013 4:57 PM

I dont know why people hate brady. The guy sets the standard for what you want in a QB.

44. i, flounder says: Jul 23, 2013 5:03 PM

brady’s a pro at moving on quick. just ask the first family he tried to start.

45. denverwally says: Jul 23, 2013 5:11 PM

7-1 record without Hernandez last year. Maybe not as difficult to replace him as you think.

46. grogansheroes says: Jul 23, 2013 5:14 PM

i, flounder says:
    Jul 23, 2013 5:03 PM
    brady’s a pro at moving on quick. just ask the first family he tried to start.

flounder, ever think that second rate actress knew she was getting dumped, so maybe , you know, skipped a couple of little pills for a few mornings?

47. tindeaux says: Jul 23, 2013 5:16 PM

i’m not a brady’s fan but i must say his answer is legit. that made it hard to dislike the guy.

48. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 23, 2013 5:19 PM

steelers4385:

Well some people don’t care for his ego and his arrogance. And in addition to that he makes loads of mental mistakes on the field and his play and performance don’t match up to the personality that he postures with. The types of mistakes he makes are very careless and silly and to me that tarnishes his image as a leader yet he carries himself like as if he is a masterful performer.

And that spills into not liking his Head Coach, because to me a good Head Coach would have been developing him much more efficiently to get the junk out of his head and shape him to be a better player and leader. I see a lack of effort and caring from him and his team, and so really it’s a disappointment more than anything for only getting 90% of the job done. That’s not good enough, he’s just not getting the most out of his talent and ability.

49. davidbrookings1 says: Jul 23, 2013 5:42 PM

Some guy earlier said he wasn’t a fan of Brady. How can you not like that dude

50. Steeler's Didn't-but-Will-eventually says: Jul 23, 2013 5:42 PM

bullcharger says:
    Jul 23, 2013 4:16 PM
    Steeler’s Didn’t-but-Will-eventually says:Jul 23, 2013 3:52 PM

————————
    —————–
    Exactly my stance. Everything that can be told up to this point has been told. I realize PK has a family to feed and asking questions is his job, I just think he’s barking up the wrong tree here even asking for TB’s personal opinion on it. Some players on other teams would share their thoughts on it, just check out Twitter, but it’s doubtful any Pats would speak out let alone Tom Brady. They don’t do business that way, and PK should know better.

51. sfsugator says: Jul 23, 2013 5:43 PM

I cant wait for espn to show this trial live instead of showing American sports that are being played and matter.

52. scandiman says: Jul 23, 2013 5:48 PM

Classy response by Tom Brady. I wish him and the Patriots all the best in the upcoming year.

53. chuckchillout says: Jul 23, 2013 5:55 PM

Whether you’ve been charged with murder or you gave birth to his first child, Brady’s all about the movin’ on.

54. twyger says: Jul 23, 2013 6:06 PM

Of course Tom Brady has moved on. Tom Brady’s thoughts never stray far from Tom Brady. Oh sure, he can mouth the press-friendly cliches by rote… what I owe my teammates, blah… blah… blah… etc… etc… etc…

But once your of no use to Tom Brady and his continued aggrandizement – your down the memory hole, and forgotten. Wouldn’t someone not psychopathically self-involved have mentioned that Hernandez really helped the team out in the past, and despite mounting evidence you hope its not true??? What he owes his teammates… HA! Take note teammates…. the second your no longer of use in building the legend of Tom Brady, he owes you squat! In fact he forgets your name entirely evidently.

But that’s Tom Brady for you… always with Tom Brady uppermost in mind.

Here’s a guy who for 8 years is having opposing defensive alignments and coverages radioed into his helmet prior to the ensuing play… and yet has never faltered from taking personal credit for the success that brought him.

More brass than a Boston City fire engine, and the BC marching band put together.

55. vibesid says: Jul 23, 2013 6:27 PM

I’m a Ravens fan, and even though I don’t “like” Tom Brady, I do respect his talent and achievements on the football field. They will do the best they can this year, just like every other team. They are deluding themselves, however, if they think the Hernandez fiasco will not affect their team this year, because it will. But they will do their best to ignore the entire situation and pretend Hernandez never even existed. The Ravens beat the Patriots twice last year, and the same thing will probably happen again this season.

56. pef12 says: Jul 23, 2013 6:32 PM

whatnojets says:
    Jul 23, 2013 4:46 PM
    pef12 says:
    Jul 23, 2013 4:27 PM

What else would you expect when Bart Scott speaks for the team
    ——————————————-

Bart Scott don’t talk that way…….

no he doesn’t does he……….lol

57. cmdrsmooth says: Jul 23, 2013 6:56 PM

Complete lack of leadership from Brady. So his teammates should listen loud and clear. He can liv without everyone of you. You are all expendable.

58. rcali says: Jul 23, 2013 6:59 PM

Ahhh, if only it were that easy Tommy.

59. ambitoos says: Jul 23, 2013 7:00 PM

I don’t know who will replace Hernandez but whoever it is, they will have the best head coach and QB in the league.

60. lks311 says: Jul 23, 2013 7:21 PM

From his comments…Great QB, but, I wouldn’t want this guy to have my back in a pinch.

61. denverdude7 says: Jul 23, 2013 7:22 PM

No player on the Patriots is ever going to comment on Aaron Hernandez.

They aren’t that stupid. They have to realize that Hernandez had / has gang affiliations and that any one of them could be taken out in a drive-by if they “disrespect” him.

I for one would be investing heavily in Kevlar clothing just in case. Bullet-proof glass for the car might not be a bad idea either.

62. vietnambob2473 says: Jul 23, 2013 7:51 PM

Remember that post game footage when brady was telling Tebow that he was looking after Hernandez (and brandon spikes) and keeping them out of trouble?

63. tipstopten says: Jul 23, 2013 8:16 PM

Brady is correct, when will the media start talking football and not about someone who is not on any NFL roster.

64. steelerj says: Jul 23, 2013 11:18 PM

Quite heroic of you to be able to move on, Tom. Not sure its going to be as easy for Odin Lloyd’s family. They may not be made of the same stuff as you.

65. donth8thehorns says: Jul 24, 2013 12:44 AM

Anyone on here commenting anything negative about Tom Brady , instantly loses any and all credibility! There is nothing negative you can say about his game and leadership! He is , without a doubt, the greatest QB to ever play the game! As a Viking fan, and fan of the game, there is only Joe Montana & Tom Brady. Saying negative things about him, just makes you look petty and ignorant! Please

66. ctrainsys says: Jul 24, 2013 7:57 AM

We all should realize that the Patriots didn’t commit the crime. A lot of you are using the this criminal and his horrible act as an excuse to bash the team as a whole.