Vick says he loves having to compete for job

Michael Vick AP

The easy thing for Michael Vick to do would be to pout.

The 33-year-old quarterback’s now fighting for a job with a second-year player, who hasn’t accomplished nearly what he has in the league.

But Vick said he’s not angry about having to compete for his job, he said he relishes it.

I love the competition,” Vick said, via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com. “I embrace the competition. I really do. It makes all of us better quarterbacks. It makes all of us better football players. It definitely pushes me.”

A little push might not hurt, as there’s no evidence he’s clearly ahead of Nick Foles at this point. So Vick’s taking the competition as a challenge.

“If you get something handed to you, you could get lax in your approach,” he said. “If you have it handed to you, you could take things for granted and not put in the work that you need to.

“I enjoy it, and I think all the quarterbacks feel like it’s going to make us better quarterbacks, because we’re out there every day pushing each other.

“I’ve always had good quarterbacks behind me, pushing me. I had [Matt] Schaub and even Doug Johnson in Atlanta, I had Kevin [Kolb] when I got here and Vince Young, he was a really good quarterback, too.

“It’s definitely good for me. It keeps you on your toes. You can’t let up, because if you do somebody is going to pass you by.”

That might be Foles in the short term, or Matt Barkley eventually. Chip Kelly’s not saying yet, and having a new coach does nothing to enhance to chances of incumbents.

But Vick’s approach is the right one, making the best of a situation he’d obviously not prefer.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Vick says he loves having to compete for job”
  1. cooklynn17 says: Jul 24, 2013 9:02 AM

Yeah,

I’m sure he loved being in jail too, nice view and all, totally awesome!!!

2. spellingcops says: Jul 24, 2013 9:04 AM

He also said he wasn’t running a dog fighting ring several years ago. He’s not exactly the poster child for honesty or credibility.

3. broadstbully says: Jul 24, 2013 9:27 AM

Maybe I’m clueless, but I would assume that every player who’s made it to the NFL relishes competition. Hell, it’s literally how they earn a living. I really don’t see the big deal with this statement.

4. o0omorriso0o says: Jul 24, 2013 9:50 AM

Omg he said the right thing gor a change yet u guys are still all over him. Get a grip people

5. logicalvoicelies says: Jul 24, 2013 9:55 AM

Matt Barkley, whether it be this year or next, will eventually become the next franchise QB for the Philadelphia Eagles. I say this even though I strongly believe that Nick Foles has the capabilities to be a very serviceable quarterback in this league. Vick’s time is over. As much as I enjoyed watching him, especially in 2010, the quick-decision, intelligent, and accurate QB that Kelly wants to fit his system, is NOT Vick. Sorry brother, but Barkley will eventually be the one to lead the Birds to the promised land! And that’ll happen LIGHT YEARS before RGIII ever does anything noteworthy for that lame team that resides in our nations capital.

6. emoser says: Jul 24, 2013 10:10 AM

who cares who care who cares who cares

I know it’s a slow time of the year, but please give this thing a rest. Even as an Eagles fan I’m getting extremely sick of seeing articles on this non-story.

7. jaredo10 says: Jul 24, 2013 10:11 AM

that the best bird win

8. rm46 says: Jul 24, 2013 11:15 AM

The Preseason will determine the Eagles QB and Vick is not worried. Mainly because unless there is some unusal moves by management, the two QBs Barkley ad Foles are not NFL ready QBs. Foles is immobile and inaccurate and Blarkley is another USC hyped up QB. The hungry Vick of 2010 with a solid OL is heads over heels better than both of them and playing in games will show this not practices without pads and contact!

9. rugbyisbetter says: Jul 24, 2013 11:23 AM

I actually love how Chip Kelly is making everyone wait…. because it is the right thing to do. Let the QBs compete, and when the team (not just coaches) see who is best.. the players will rally behind.
    Why just choose one of the QBs especially when neither is a slam dunk top 10 QB?
    Isnt this what Seattle did last year? Media was in an uproar at not knowing who the QB was… well, in December everyone knew who the QB was… Thats all that matters.. Not July.

10. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 24, 2013 11:42 AM

The fact that Vick loves the competition means he doesn’t see those other two chumps as competition. If they were better than Vick, then I doubt he would be enjoying it so much. Just sayin’.

11. randomcommenter says: Jul 24, 2013 12:31 PM

If Vick loses the competition, will he be electrocuted with a car battery and buried in a shallow grave out back? That’s what he did if a dog lost a fight.

12. bobonmycob says: Jul 24, 2013 12:32 PM

“and Vince Young, he was a really good quarterback, too.”

Just shut up Vick… Accept the back up role or trade and just go away.

13. bobonmycob says: Jul 24, 2013 1:02 PM

How is Foles not NFL ready? Please explain? His intellect alone puts him above everybody else. Remember that come from behind win for the eagles? Yeah the winning TD drive play was audibled by Foles. Not just that but the guy is tall and can actually see over the guards. His accuracy is excellent he just needs to work on arm strength. All indications conclude he did indeed work on his arm strength during the off season. Foles is a winning QB and anybody that thinks otherwise are delusional.

14. dubblelznhell says: Jul 24, 2013 1:26 PM

Vick hasn’t accomplished much in the league. He’s been more hype than production. One 1000yard rushing season, one season of 100 QB rating and two 3000 yard passing seasons. No superbowls, no league MVP, etc etc. I bet some running backs in the league could be groomed to be just as productive at the QB position

15. kelz1966kelz1966 says: Jul 24, 2013 1:36 PM

His agent told him to stop moping around the locker room and complaining about a starter not being named yet, because no other team will want a miserable baby as a back up on their team, and that is what he will be looking at when the Eagles cut him to save the 3.5 million dollar roster bonus.

16. sully215 says: Jul 24, 2013 2:04 PM

BowlsWithFoles

17. floratiotime says: Jul 24, 2013 3:12 PM

Pants on fire …

18. steelerben says: Jul 24, 2013 3:42 PM

Vince Young, he was a really good quarterback, too. – Proof Vick hasn’t recovered from last season’s concussions.

19. onurface says: Jul 24, 2013 4:43 PM

He is lucky to even have a job. Loser you suck! Over rated!

20. thundercocck says: Jul 25, 2013 4:44 AM

This QB battle is being blown out of proportion. Vick WILL be the starter on week 1. Chip Kelly is only doing the right thing keeping his players motivated to work harder.