Von Miller: I “absolutely” don’t use marijuana

Getty Images

Broncos linebacker Von Miller was a bit more expansive about his appeal of a four-game suspension than he was in his initial response on Twitter, but there was much that Miller wouldn’t talk about.

Miller didn’t offer too many details about the reasons for his suspension, which the NFLPA said was not for a performance-enhancing drug policy violation, or about reports that he’s previous failed drug tests. Confidentiality and respect for an ongoing process were pretty much the order of the day, although Miller did respond to a question about whether marijuana, which reportedly caused one of his positive tests, is part of his life.

“Absolutely not,” Miller said, via Frank Schwab of Yahoo! Sports.

Miller promised to offer more detailed answers to reporters once the appeal process has run its course and the Broncos are proceeding with business as usual until it does. Miller will be taking all his regular first-team reps at outside linebacker and the team will be preparing as if he’ll be in the lineup for the season opener against the Ravens.

That may turn out to be wishful thinking, but, for now, it’s the path the Broncos are taking.

71 responses to “Von Miller: I “absolutely” don’t use marijuana

1. Just once I’d like to see one of these guys say “Yeah I smoke weed, so what? Legalize it already.”

2. Why even ask him if weed is a part of his life? Not like he would let us all know.

Well, unless he’s really Ricky Williams.

3. “You take drugs Danny?”
    “Everyday”
    “So what’s the problem?”
    “I don’t know”
    “Ahh…I like you Betty”
    “Danny sir”
    “Danny”

4. @harrisonhits2

I’m pretty sure Randy Moss and Ricky Williams did

5. he doesnt use it, but if he happens to have a rillo full of some killo he would puffo foreal tho!!!

6. considering the voters of colorado legalized weed, it would be interesting to see what happened if miller said ” yup, I smoke, it’s legal here” then challanged the suspension.

7. I believe him and i dont think it will have any effect on the broncos even if he gets suspended for any time. they had good draft and some good free agent signings… scary team they are!

8. spezzabangsmilfs says:
    Jul 24, 2013 3:00 PM

Anyone who uses the phrase “use marijuana” doesn’t smoke/puff/blaze weed.

I believe him
    ______________________________

Great point here. People who smoke weed almost never refer to it as marijuana.

Most smokers refer to it it as “weed,” “chronic,” or “that good sh*t.”

9. “I don’t ‘use’ marijuana”?
    -Von Miller

“Fornicate?
    Look, I’ve boned a lot of fat chicks in my time, sure. But, as far back as I can remember, I’ve never fornicated anybody.”
    -Bad Santa

10. Hasn’t Colorado legalized marijuana?

Seriously, the Broncos sack total is going way down this year. First, FaxGate and Elvis leaving town and now Miller’s suspension.

Average number of points that Payton is going to have to put up?

31?

11. maybe someone blew smoke in his face and
    that is how he got a positive test, it is the only
    logical answer.

12. I’d rather hear he uses the Chron rather than X or PEDs….

Whatever it was, dude is a straight up idiot. He would be getting tens of millions in guaranteed money in either 2014 or 2015, instead he’s going to take a serious reduction in guaranteed $$$$.

Hope it was worth it, Von Piller.

13. Cannabis is awesome, why pro athletes are not allowed to smoke it blows my mind. If Josh Brent was high and not drunk his team mate would still be alive. There is also CBD which helps with pain and swelling/inflammation. There is no advantage to smoking pot more so a disadvantage. It’s one thing for a group of teenagers to be in a garage passing a joint it’s another for a pro athlete in pain or stressed out to eat an edable, smoke a bowl, or rub on some topical lotion.

14. spezzabangsmilfs says:
    Jul 24, 2013 3:00 PM
    Anyone who uses the phrase “use marijuana” doesn’t smoke/puff/blaze weed.

I believe him
    _________________________________
    Or they just aren’t a burnout and can speak proper English.

15. 4thquartermagic says:
    Jul 24, 2013 3:14 PM
    spezzabangsmilfs says:
    Jul 24, 2013 3:00 PM

Anyone who uses the phrase “use marijuana” doesn’t smoke/puff/blaze weed.

I believe him
    ______________________________

Great point here. People who smoke weed almost never refer to it as marijuana.

Most smokers refer to it it as “weed,” “chronic,” or “that good sh*t.”
    ___________________________________
    You seriously think he would respond to a reporter saying he smokes chron or that he enjoys lighting up a J to a reporter even if he was admitting it? Wow

16. We’re in here talking about this guy getting suspended over maijuana? Marijauna?! Man, this is some bull-sh*t! Marijuana is not a drug.

But, uh, ah ha ha, if you weren’t smokin’ weed, then what were ya smokin’ genius?

17. I only believe he uses it to TRY and help his eyesight, have you seen the Hubble Telescope lenses the man looks through everyday?!

God bless RexSpex!

18. If the NFL is so worried about drugs, then why don’t they test league wide for PED’s. this will never happen because the NFL is one step below the WWF in PED use. Might even bring safety into the league because the guys won’t be as big and fast. But hey it’s easier to bust for dope.

19. gloryfromheaven says:
    Jul 24, 2013 2:58 PM
    As a Broncos fan, I’m extremely disappointed. If there ever comes a time where he’s caught doing it (again) I’ll lose all respect for him…

—————————————————

And as a person (most-likely) from Colorado you are a huge hypocrit.

Marijuana isn’t a performance enhancing substance for one, and for two I thought the NFL CBA made testing for pot no longer valid?

Or is that just NBA?

20. topcide says:
    Jul 24, 2013 3:13 PM

—————————————–

Okay, for those of you who don’t realize, whether something is “legal” or not, your employer does have limited rights in dictating your behavior while on the job. So yes, technically, he can argue that well it’s legal in Colorado, so why are you hassling me. But the NFL, much like my employer, can say that we have a policy against it and if you want to work here, you will abide by our policy. For adults over 21, alcohol is very legal in this country, but I don’t know of too many employers that encourage the 3 Martini lunch anymore, and I guarantee you legal or not, if your employer has a contract that you sign that says you will not engage in said behavior, you or myself or whomever would be on the way out the door. Only reason why he gets a better chance is he’s a beast.. if he’s a scrub UFA or 7th round pick, they aren’t waiting for his appeal to go through.

21. I know for a fact that a good amount of NFL players partake in the green. They are drug tested right before training camp for it, and then are not tested again unless they are in the substance abuse program.

Its funny how we focus on this drug, but the players are drinking and driving on a weekly basis.

Its time the NFL goes the route of the NBA when it comes to this drug.

22. Yeah Miller, and we “absolutely” don’t drink beer every Sunday watching football….

23. He doesn’t “use” marijuana, he smokes it. We know that much because he tested positive. Just once I’d love an athlete not to lie, but that would mean his appeal was literally just an attempt to avoid suspended games. Oh wait.

24. All kidding aside…

I hope it’s not true. The guy was a BEAST at A&M and led the nation in sacks.

I’ve been watching his career fairly closely in Denver.

Then again, marijuana is legal in Colorado so… he may not have broken any laws….

25. Miller, adamantly denies “using MaryJane”
    There are 3 red Flags here:
    1. He thinks April 20th is a national holiday! (4/20)
    2. His ringtone is Peter, Paul & Mary’s “puff the majic dragon”
    3. The empty boxes of twinkles in the back of his VW bus!
    I may be naive , but those are some tell tale signs of someone with “cataracts”

26. I still don’t get it if you smoke pot fine, but with all that’s at stake and training camps around the corner can’t they just stop or put it on hold till atleast the season is over.

Why ruin you’re life over some pot? I’m not saying pot is bad but to let it be my life style or let it alter my career is wrong.

I hope he comes out clean he is a great player!

27. because it is legal in colorado, he may be able to say it was second hand because everyone else in the room was smoking it.

28. I wouldn’t be interesting to if he said “I do it, so what it’s legal here.” Because the Colorado Supreme Court already ruled in the favor of Dish Network (the employer) when an employee tested positive for marijuana at work and then Dish Network fired him. The ruling that he was fired justly was upheld because A) It is still ILLEGAL under Federal Law and B) When your employer sets forth a policy and you break that policy your employer has every right to terminate you for whatever policy you violate. If you signed a piece of paper that says by accepting this job offer I will not eat T-Bone steak and you eat a T-Bone steak and get fired because of it, it’s legal. I don’t understand why people don’t get that when it says “don’t do X or Y will happen” and then they do X and Y happens that they act shocked. The NFL pays him and makes the rules… maybe he should start abiding by them.