Desmond Bishop will open camp on the outside for Vikings

AP

When the Vikings signed linebacker Desmond Bishop, it was widely assumed he’d battle with Erin Henderson for the middle linbacker position.  Bishop then told PFT Live that he could play outside or inside.

On Thursday, coach Leslie Frazier told reporters that Bishop will begin on the outside.

According to Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Frazier explained that the Vikings like Bishop’s blitzing skills.

If he wins the job, it’ll likely be Chad Greenway on the weak side, Bishop on the strong side, and Henderson in the middle.

Bishop was cut by the Packers late in the offseason program, after suffering a preseason hamstring tear in 2012.  He missed all of the season.

34 responses to “Desmond Bishop will open camp on the outside for Vikings

1. More importantly, has Bishop checked out all of the sights and sounds that make Minnesota such a great and superior state to the other 49? In other words, did he see 3M’s headquarters and shop at the Mall of America yet?

2. Desmond Bishop has played his entire career inside for a reason. He lacks the speed of a NFL linebacker to cover TE’s and RB’s.

Considering that the reason he was cut was due to an injury and they had concerns if he would ever return to form, which was never that fast to begin with. Geez, I don’t see how this move could possibly go wrong.

3. I know Packer football like the back if my hand. But when I really want to know something Packer related, I roll over and ask whatjusthapped.

4. We don’t have to claim. Win something important. You cant claim greatness without championships. That’s like claiming to be a stud in the sack without pulling the V card…..

5. I hope Desmond got to check out all the world famous Wisconsin attractions when he was here. The Dells, all the wonders of Milwaukee, for example.

6. whatjusthapped says:
    Jul 25, 2013 2:59 PM

—————————————————

You scared bro??

What does covering TE’s and RB’s have to do with Blitzing?

We have Pro Bowl Greenway to cover.

7. Considering the Vikings got Bishop for…NOTHING, not sure what all the Packer grief is based on. If he doesn’t work out so be it. Packers just threw him away…is there any wonder why players want to leave GB to come to MN?

8. Uhh excuse me, but southern MN is just an extention of Iowa, not the Dakotas.

Wait, I dont know what’s worse. Thank god I live in the Metro

9. Vikings will close season on the outside of the playoffs.
    And so Contra is happy: We aren’t their rivals.

10. Hey, isn’t Wisconsin the Cannibal Capital of the US? You know, Ed Ghien and Jeffery Dahmer, for instance?

Yeah, we have the Mall of America, but that sure looks a lot better than Chow Is Us. So stop witht he insults before you become Soylent Green already.

11. fi1thymcnasty1 says: Jul 25, 2013 3:18 PM

**************************************************

I have many disciples, and am always looking for new members of my flock. Welcome aboard.

12. ad296 says:
    Jul 25, 2013 3:22 PM

—————————————————

You scared bro??

What does covering TE’s and RB’s have to do with Blitzing?

We have Pro Bowl Greenway to cover.

—————————————————

LOL, Vikings fans showing how little they know about football once again. Did you read the part in the article about Greenway playing weak side and Bishop playing strong side? Strong side is where the TE is, hence the LB that would be covering the TE most of the time when the TE isn’t staying in to block. The weak side, in this case Greenway, would be the blitzer.

13. fi1thymcnasty1 says: Jul 25, 2013 3:14 PM

—————————————————-

….just “roll over”, huh? ….figures you packer trolls share a bed.

14. Poor Contra still hoping to have the Vikings get out of the Packers shadow thinking that they are the Packers big rival. No matter how hard you wish it the vikings will always be behind the Bears and the Lions. You might want to take a que from those fans in that they dont come with all the bravado and beat their chests how good they are. They wait until they actually overtake the reigning division champs.

15. contra74 says:
    Jul 25, 2013 3:00 PM
    Brace yourselves for a tidal wave of packer fans claiming we arent their rivals!!!

——————————————–

But who are we to question the great c_ntra-u? You played football all the way up to the NCAA level.

16. whats that? oh yeah, finley just burned 1-hammy bishop for another TD.. bish he was slow as a rock to start with and now, before his hammy gives out again, hes gonna be even slower. this reaaaaaks of desperation hahahahaha

17. contra74 says:
    Jul 25, 2013 3:00 PM

/////////////////////////////////////////

Of course you’re our rivals. I grew up in Wausau and all we ever talked about was beating the Vikings. The Packer fans nearer to Chicago may think otherwise, as well as fans in the UP (Detroit.) For my money, I have always enjoyed the back-and-forth between our teams the most.

18. prettyflyforawhiteguy1 says: Jul 25, 2013 4:46 PM

————————————————

If this guy was that slow to start with, what does that say when he leads your defense in tackles two years in a row??

19. Weak side. As it stands right now, Bishop is starting weak side and Greenway strong side.

20. stellarperformance says:
    Jul 25, 2013 4:57 PM
    contra74 says:
    Jul 25, 2013 3:00 PM

/////////////////////////////////////////

—-
    Ive been to Wausau, not bad. Same goes for Stoughton.

21. I love all the people talking trash on Minnesota geography that have never been to MN….hate to break it to ya, but geographically, they’re almost identical…both border Lake Superior, both have tons of lake country, both got lots of farm country too…I’d keep trash talking to football instead, let’s keep it relevant folks

22. toothfairyretributionmanifesto says:
    Jul 25, 2013 5:02 PM
    prettyflyforawhiteguy1 says: Jul 25, 2013 4:46 PM
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Is the answer “because he didn’t?” 2009…Barnett, 2010….Hawk, 2011…Bishop (with Hawk a close second,) 2012…Hawk.

23. filthymcnasty1 says:
    Jul 26, 2013 2:16 PM
    I feel kind of bad for these poor guys who get set down from the bigs to the minors.

0 1
    Leave Reply

I bet it feels even worse to watch those “bigs” get owned by the minors, ouch sucker!

24. fi1thymcnasty1 says:
    Jul 25, 2013 3:14 PM

21 16

I do something packer related nearly everyday,….and then i wipe and flush the green bay

25. -“GB4MN0 says: Jul 25, 2013 4:04 PM

We are your superiors, not your rivals. You may wish that we would see you as rivals but that would only happen after the Vikqueefs record “rivals” the 13 time Champs record. That’s never gonna happen.”-
    ——————————————————

Wow lol ok. The fact that you actually used the word “queef” completely disqualifies ANYTHING you say from all relevancy. Your comment is just barely even related to the article, it’s like you put a bunch of gibberish together just so you could type the word, just like you did over in the Percy Harvin Hip article. So that’s twice now. lol What are you, like 11 years old in your tree fort trying to impress the neighbor kid?

I always find it funny that Packer fans can NEVER be wrong, cause no matter what the conversation is, they will always find a way to bring up the “past” championships that are almost never relevant to current conversation. Wth, does 13 past championships under a completely different coaching staff and team in different era’s have to do with Desmond Bishop starting training camp at Outside Linebacker?

At least we have BOOKS over here with our pretentious “Mall” and “3M” company and “Stupid Parks In The City” Where we actually read them so we don’t grow up with vocabularies consistent with 40 year old Sleazy D-Bag’s who still hang out at college bars making girls feel uncomfortable.

Truth of the matter is, The Vikes have a way better program for players like Bishop, he seems to be fitting nicely and is enjoying being a Viking, and actually enjoying the Game again. There must be something contagious with Packer Fans, and they infect at Lambeau taking all of the fun and enjoyment out of everything, because, all the times a supposed “bitter” Packer signs with the Vikes they immediately are all smiles, are superb Team Players and rock the field!

So I cannot wait for Bishop to gel in our defense and help completely embarrass the Packer offense this year. Maybe one really good hit could finally knock a personality into Rodgers!

26. Bish can’t beat out something called Marvin Mitchell? I’m thinking Mr. Ted Thompson made the right call here.