Ndamukong Suh: I’m open to extension if it helps us win

Atlanta Falcons v Detroit Lions Getty Images

When the Lions putting the finishing touches on the contract extension for quarterback Matthew Stafford, team president Tom Lewand said that he anticipated the team continuing their trend of extending the contracts of young players who make up their core.

Speculation about which player would be next to put pen to paper on a new deal immediately turned to defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who has two years left on his current deal and a gargantuan $21.4 million cap hit looming in 2014. While the Lions have a lot of time before Suh’s contract is up, that cap number will need to come down if they want to address other needs and Suh said that addressing those needs is the right way to pitch him on an extension.

“I think my track record has kind of proven that, especially with the restructures and things I’ve done in the past,” Suh said, via Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “I’m not opposed to anything. I’m open to, pretty much, all situations, all opportunities, especially if it’s allowing us to get the wins.”

Suh gave no hints about what numbers he’d like to see in a new deal, saying that he was more focused on helping the Lions win games this season, but he’d likely be in position to become one of the highest-paid players at the position in the NFL at the very least. Whether he’s putting it first and foremost in his mind or not, that kind of deal makes it even easier to be open to the idea of signing a new deal.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Ndamukong Suh: I’m open to extension if it helps us win”
  1. ccjcsr says: Jul 25, 2013 3:51 PM

I thought the headline said he was open to anger management.

#CowboyNation

2. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 25, 2013 3:52 PM

They have massive totals on the books already for the next 2 years, and are forced to do a lot to drive those numbers down. Suh is a convenient outlet to do that and they don’t have any other better options to smooth out the immediate cap problem.

3. nyyjetsknicks says: Jul 25, 2013 3:52 PM

Why didn’t PFT post the censored version? Here’s what was actually said:

Ndamukong Suh: Give me an extension or I’ll stomp you out.

4. koolaidcircusbeast says: Jul 25, 2013 3:57 PM

Lions should wait out the two years, then try to sign Gerald McCoy. He’ll be a better DT than Suh by then.

5. purpleguy says: Jul 25, 2013 4:00 PM

With 2 years left on the deal, provided the Lions aren’t in further cap hell, I’d wait to see how he performs this year on and off the field. He may very well be worth the extension if he approaches his rookie year performance.

6. stevent92 says: Jul 25, 2013 4:09 PM

Would he be open to getting kicked to the curb if it helped them win?

7. unbiasfan says: Jul 25, 2013 4:24 PM

The Lions franchise is a joke by itself…LOL

8. jjackwagon says: Jul 25, 2013 4:46 PM

Interesting choice of words…”my track record”. I wonder if Dietrich-Smith still has evidence of Suh’s “track record” on his arm.

9. hatesycophants says: Jul 25, 2013 9:30 PM

Typical jealousy here. Not surprising.

10. HmongPride28FreeChaiSouaVang says: Jul 26, 2013 12:05 AM

A leg extension to the face!

11. jimmylions says: Jul 26, 2013 12:28 AM

Two pro bowl appearances in three years … haters are gonna hate, but his track record does speak for itself.

12. erikd55 says: Jul 26, 2013 11:42 AM

Let it go people. He made some dirty plays. As far as im concerned hes shown some serious character improvements since then. Its really funny how the media will forget ANY character flaw when talent over shadows it. History shows this is true of most great athletes.