Jarvis Jenkins suspended four games, leaving Jenkins “shocked and confused”

Jenkins Reuters

The NFL has announced that Redskins defensive end Jarvis Jenkins has been suspended four games for violating the league’s policy regarding performance-enhancing substances.

He’ll be permitted to participate in training camp and the preseason.  He’ll then be gone until Monday, September 30.

The Redskins have released a statement from Jenkins in which he attempts to undermine the notion that he cheated.

“When I learned that I tested positive for a substance that is banned under the NFL policy, I was shocked and confused,” Jenkins said.   “It’s an obscure substance that I’ve never even heard of, and I still don’t know how it got into my body.  My only guess is that it came from one of the supplements I was taking around the time of the test, even though none of them listed anything banned.”

Players are responsible for whatever is in their bodies, so it doesn’t matter.  The league has an approved list of supplements that do not contain banned substances.  If a guy goes off that list, he does so at his own risk.

And nothing he says — whether it’s “I’m shocked and confused” or “I had a prescription” or “the supplement was spiked” or “my dog ate my homework then peed in my sample cup” or anything aimed at making him look like something other than a cheater — changes the fact that, whether he knew it or not, he was indeed cheating.

We just wish one of the players who is caught cheating would simply admit to it, instead of trying to downplay it.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
82 Responses to “Jarvis Jenkins suspended four games, leaving Jenkins “shocked and confused””
  1. unbiasfan says: Jul 26, 2013 4:19 PM

HTTR: Hail to the Roids

2. Steeley McBeam says: Jul 26, 2013 4:20 PM

The NFL should just sell/provide players legal supplements so there is no confusion. That way theres no excuse that you “don’t know how” that chemical got into your body.

3. mjs2012 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:20 PM

Unfortunately, that explanation has no credibility whether true or not. Especially since Ryan Braun turned out to be a complete fraud.

4. kaykack says: Jul 26, 2013 4:21 PM

Washington Cheatskins #hypocrites

5. schmitty2 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:21 PM

Is he as “Shocked and confused” as the whiny saliva spewing chick who didn’t get an autograph?

6. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:21 PM

i bet IRG3 will be next one to get suspended, 4 games for fraud!!!

7. getyourownname says: Jul 26, 2013 4:22 PM

In fairness it’s not completely his fault. When the owner never admits anything, it sets the moral example for the organization about what is accepted.

8. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:22 PM

IRehabG3 is rg3 new name

9. andyb02 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:23 PM

What if guys behind people on the depth chart are spiking someone’s supplements in order to give themselves a better shot at making the team or get playing time? I know I would consider it if hundreds of thousands of dollars were on the line.

10. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 26, 2013 4:23 PM

Typical PEDskin.

11. whatnojets says: Jul 26, 2013 4:24 PM

I guess you never asked Mr. Peterson advise??
    Shocking!!!!

12. skittlesareyum says: Jul 26, 2013 4:24 PM

“I still don’t know how it got into my body. My only guess is that it came from one of the supplements I was taking around the time of the test”

—————-

You think?

13. cfeeley52 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:24 PM

hahaha the 2012 Deadskins are the biggest “flash in the pan” team this league has ever seen. They’ll be done fizzling out by mid season when they’re sitting at 2-6

14. zeedoubleyou says: Jul 26, 2013 4:24 PM

HTTR! lol

15. ryann252013 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:25 PM

“Jarvis Jenkins is shocked and confused”

16. themackstrong says: Jul 26, 2013 4:25 PM

Remember when I said Redskins fans shouldn’t be trying to mock anybody.

17. hawkstradamus says: Jul 26, 2013 4:26 PM

Roidskins

18. deepseabreeze says: Jul 26, 2013 4:26 PM

et tu, jarvis?

19. scorpiox1960 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:27 PM

But what did he say to Aaron Ridgers?

20. whatnojets says: Jul 26, 2013 4:27 PM

———————————-
    I agree….can you imagine…..Damn, they caught me with my hands in the cookie jar!!! Ok..I admit it , I did it!!!, Yes, yes I did it!!!

Suspend me for four games and give me a fine for $ 250,000.00. I deserve it…..throw the keys away!!!

21. laseeno says: Jul 26, 2013 4:27 PM

“Players are responsible for whatever is in their bodies, so it doesn’t matter. ”

Florio,

Do you realize that supplement companies are not FDA regulated and although nothing banned may be listed in their contents something banned may very well be in the bottle?

Yes, your creatine could very well have adderall inside.

22. reesesteel23 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:27 PM

Another 1 bites the dust…

23. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Jul 26, 2013 4:27 PM

tiki is “flabbergasted” over this.

24. hawkstradamus says: Jul 26, 2013 4:27 PM

Now pipe in some more fake crowd noise.

25. unbiasfan says: Jul 26, 2013 4:28 PM

At this rate, the NFL season might have to start at week 5…

26. @HowdyDoobie says: Jul 26, 2013 4:28 PM

The NFL needs to provide these players with all of the supplements. With an NFL approved sticker on it. Take the fine money and put it towards standing that up.

27. bucrightoff says: Jul 26, 2013 4:31 PM

You start testing for HGH and 80% of the league is going to be suspended.

28. scorpiox1960 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:31 PM

*Rodgers*

29. seatownballers says: Jul 26, 2013 4:31 PM

I thought only Seahawks players used ped’s!
    Such wannabes

30. nflcrimerankingscom says: Jul 26, 2013 4:32 PM

Redskins with another PED suspension wow! They are the worst historically.

31. u4iadman says: Jul 26, 2013 4:33 PM

NFL wake up and provide supps to them. End of story.

32. skinsfan28 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:33 PM

Wow, two days, two DE’s down!

33. marvsleezy says: Jul 26, 2013 4:33 PM

Call me naive, but I believe him. This can happen. Next time he should stick the approved list.

34. jerryyouradisgrace says: Jul 26, 2013 4:34 PM

ok logicalvoice what would you have to say about that??

cowboy fans would say that all redskin players are cheaters and won the NFC east by juicing

cue logicalvoice now

35. Patriot42 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:34 PM

I have their new name:
    “The Washington RoidSkins”

36. akboot says: Jul 26, 2013 4:34 PM

A vast right wing conspiracy I say
    sincerely,
    logicalvoice

37. strokinmyego says: Jul 26, 2013 4:35 PM

Chip Kelly, Lesean Mccoy, and Bryce Brown are going to have a soft and thin front seven to run against on the first MNF game this year.

38. deepseabreeze says: Jul 26, 2013 4:37 PM

hawkstradamus says:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:27 PM
    Now pipe in some more fake crowd noise.

_______________________________

LOL. this coming from a Seahawks fan?!

39. bobzilla1001 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:37 PM

Bryce Harper bets a year’s salary that Jenkins is clean…

40. scouncil65 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:37 PM

Well… at least he didn’t LIE about taking banned substances, like some other stars. He pretty much admitted to making a mistake, or at the very least he admitted to being ignorant to what he puts in his body.

41. crush22 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:37 PM

When your coach throws you out there to play while your hurt, ya got to do what ya got to do.

42. drich1960 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:38 PM

Honest I didn’t do nothing wrong. RGIII gave them to me. He says they work great and everyone know he wouldn’t lie or cheat

43. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:38 PM

pieere gar-bage will be the next to get suspended, 4 games for being overpaid and overated

44. aoc57 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:38 PM

Like all of the Seahawks.

45. whatnojets says: Jul 26, 2013 4:40 PM

unbiasfan says:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:28 PM
    At this rate, the NFL season might have to start at week 5…
    ——————————————

You made my week…..no my month!!!
    LOL!!! Hilarious!!!

46. bennyb82 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:40 PM

Can`t he just say someone tampered with his sample? That usually works for a year

47. stampede101 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:40 PM

shoulda gave that lady an autograph dude…#revenge

48. exhelodrvr says: Jul 26, 2013 4:42 PM

Not his fault – he thought he was buying a PEZ dispenser.

49. bigwayne75 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:43 PM

This is a all John Mara’s fault. He slipped something in Jenkin’s drink, that is what a Skins fan would say.

50. axespray says: Jul 26, 2013 4:48 PM

He punched Richard Sherman and the roids leaked onto his gloves – like that goofy black goo from Prometheus.

51. whatnojets says: Jul 26, 2013 4:48 PM

at the very least he admitted to being ignorant to what he puts in his body.
    —————————————–
    Ignorance is not an excuse….

can you imagine…Your Honor, I had no idea that that gun was loaded when I pulled to the trigger!!

52. footbal1q says: Jul 26, 2013 4:49 PM

Adam Carriker is out, Jenkins is suspended Move Kederick Golston to the right since he can play both ends for four games problem solved HTTR!

53. aoc57 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:49 PM

How come you didn’t take this stance of disgust with Richard Sherman?

Or the rest of the Seahawks?

Why do you post multiple negative articles about Washington a day? Between the name change NON-STORY, a fan who showed up and didn’t get an autograph? THAT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE! NO ONE GUARANTEES THOUSANDS OF FANS THEY WILL ALL GET AUTOGRAPHS! WHY IS WASHINGTON THE ONLY TEAM YOU WRITE THIS CRAP ABOUT?

Dude your not even trying to hide your bias and issues with the Redskins.

54. somethingsmellsrotten says: Jul 26, 2013 4:50 PM

Yeah, so what’s going on with Von Miller? Why is the NFL dragging their feet on that one?

55. cdrion21 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:52 PM

cfeeley52 says:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:24 PM

———
    Well they were 3-6 last season after nine games last season and won the division ….so I like those odds too

56. toonloonboon says: Jul 26, 2013 4:54 PM

they should trade a second round pick for jason taylor again

57. footbal1q says: Jul 26, 2013 4:55 PM

Welcome to the Redskins Richard Seymour?!?!

58. iced107 says: Jul 26, 2013 4:56 PM

I wonder how much money I could make if I hired a chemist and opened up my own pharmaceutical company with the message painted all over the bottles “NFL APPROVED!” – in big giant letters so even the lowest of wonderlic scores could comprehend it

59. ktm300xcwe says: Jul 26, 2013 5:01 PM

Same thing happened to Pat and Kevin Williams…ultimately the NFL won and they both served their four game suspensions. They took Starcaps and the banned diuretic was not listed as an ingredient. They NEVER took steriods and were tested specifically for steriods after the diuretic was detected. Evidently, the particular chemical will mask the use of steroids so the NFL put the substance on the banned list. Didn’t matter, banned is banned according to the NFL. I personally think the Williams’ should have been able to sue Starcaps for the lost four game checks but they didn’t.

60. metalhead65 says: Jul 26, 2013 5:03 PM

maybe if the players waived their right to privacy in these cases so we could see what they tested positive for then they might not all look guilty. you have Dr.’s excuse for taking what caused the positive test then let’s see it. it may not change the results but at least it will show you were in fact taking what the Dr. gave you.

61. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 26, 2013 5:08 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted, Brees wants an explanation, Khan is fascinated, Crennel isn’t sure, and Jenkins is shocked and confused.

62. larrybrown43 says: Jul 26, 2013 5:12 PM

It’s all so silly. Outside of booz and narcotics take what you want. If it’s sold at GNC you’re good to go.

63. skinsrock says: Jul 26, 2013 5:16 PM

Like I said the other day… Jarvis Jenkins will have a breakout season…. It’s just going to start in week 5. I’m tired of my Skins testing positive, but it sure seems like the NFL has way too many banned substances… I mean… Is it a steroid? Is it HGH? Is it an unprescribed medication? Is it Testosterone? Is it illegal? If not, why have all these other things on the list?

64. green41563 says: Jul 26, 2013 5:17 PM

He was previously dazed and confused, so this is a small step.

65. scmems07 says: Jul 26, 2013 5:21 PM

Shocked me too, I thought he played for the redskins, not the shehawks

66. gbmickey says: Jul 26, 2013 5:21 PM

Seriously some of you are advocating the NFL should be supplying the supplements? How hard is it for a grown man to read an NFL supplied list of approved supplements and by one of those? The current culture accepts no accountability for stupid decisions, its never their fault. Also keep in mind since he received a 4 game suspension means he was caught once before, what excuse does he have for that?

67. aaroncurryisbust says: Jul 26, 2013 5:29 PM

Hey you judgmental goofballs, he could be telling the truth. Remember how Rams LB (and former Mr. Irrelevant) David Vobora was issued a PED suspension a few seasons ago but then successfully sued the supplement company responsible and won millions?

68. 106reasons says: Jul 26, 2013 5:33 PM

While none of us is capable of knowing what this particular situation is, I feel it’s important to point out that players, in general, are at the mercy of two gaping holes in the current drug-testing policy.

1. Supplement companies are not allowed by law to list things that are not present in the supplement on the label. (This, IMO, is a great example of a very stupid law).

2. Supplements quite often contain things that are not listed on the label. This is because the companies that create supplements are using the same machines to process (capsulize or otherwise package) all of their supplements. Many of the banned substances on the NFL list are going to show up in drug tests if even a microgram is present.

While it is difficult to give players the benefit of the doubt in many cases (gee, thanks, baseball), I can certainly see how some instances of positive drug tests are caused by bad practices of the supplement creator.

69. skinsfan91 says: Jul 26, 2013 5:34 PM

Damnit Jarvis. You’ve let your team and the fans down. We need this guy.

70. arrowtoyourknee says: Jul 26, 2013 5:37 PM

Notice how when it’s something negative… Logicalvoicesays is nowhere to be found. Am I the only one that’s amused by that? :p

71. HmongPride28FreeChaiSouaVang says: Jul 26, 2013 5:41 PM

The redskins must have done vodoo on the redtails…

72. umainebearman says: Jul 26, 2013 5:56 PM

You’d think his performance would be noticeable if he were taking Performance enhancing drugs. Maybe he should stop taking them and maybe he’ll get more than 11 tackles, well after the 4th game of the year of course.

73. buddybowl69 says: Jul 26, 2013 6:27 PM

RG-3 is the best QB ever or ever will be. Forget Manning and his lil’ sister Eli, forget Brady & Rogers (they’ll be out of the closet soon enough), forget Montana, Young, Marino, Unitas and Ryan Leaf. RG-3 is the man. All of the other QBs combined will not equal his records by the time he is done. RG-3 doesn’t need preseason and he doesn’t need to practice even, you can’t expand on excellence. After he retires in 30 years, football will be canceled as there will be no more excitement in the game.

74. dlr4skins says: Jul 26, 2013 7:00 PM

As a Doctor of Pharmacy, I can assure you that not only ingredients but potency, purity, and quality can vary lot to lot and often capsule to capsule.

There are little regulations period for non-prescribed medications!

However, I can not assure you that every player is innocent.

75. baddegg says: Jul 26, 2013 7:17 PM

All Roid jokes and ignorant projections of 0-16 aside, this really is a significant blow to the Redskins. Already down Carriker, the Redskins are now on their 3rd man down the depth chart on that side of the line, and we’ve only had one day of training camp.

Golston may prove capable of filling the gap for a few days, but they are very thin now and can’t take another injury to the defensive line.

76. blackqbwhiterb says: Jul 26, 2013 8:52 PM

If you’re getting paid Hundreds of thousands of dollars, you only take stuff with the League-approved “NSF” label on it…. It’s not that complicated….. How many Dummies keep doing this, while brilliant hard working Americans never get near this kinda green & put up with soooo much more?!!…. Simplest thing in the world to comply with, and over and over and over these guys slip up… Makes me furious…. For hundreds of thousands a year, you can’t maintain the slightest bit of self-discipline and focus???!!!!! Wtf

77. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 26, 2013 8:55 PM

Good season for Jenkins but the reason some teams passed in the draft was the potential for these kind of things. It’s a tough call on questionable character guys with big time talent.

78. the3taveren says: Jul 26, 2013 9:35 PM

ul 26, 2013 4:19 PM
    HTTR: Hail to the Roids
    ____________________________

It wasn’t for roids DA!

79. annes22 says: Jul 26, 2013 9:37 PM

For god sake stop the cheating all of you. It’s laughable when you are surprised. Keep cheating you will be found out, and then go on vacation.

80. the3taveren says: Jul 27, 2013 12:11 AM

nflcrimerankingscom says:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:32 PM
    Redskins with another PED suspension wow! They are the worst historically.
    _____________________
    Name another Redskins player suspended for PEDs.

The only one I can think of is Jordan Black and he was suspended for ADD meds that he had a prescription for and he had the required paperwork with the nfl but the nfl suspended him anyway.

81. tmatic74 says: Jul 27, 2013 6:46 AM

He gave the rubber stamp answer.

82. mackie66 says: Jul 27, 2013 11:31 AM

Our ever present moral compass Mile(take no meds) Florio. Thank God you are here to clean up this mess called the NFL. What on earth would we do with you, and Goodell? This was stated by an un-named source with knowledge of the situation.