Josh Freeman: I want to be known as one of the best ever

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman has lofty goals.

Freeman, who has played very well at times but also been a disappointment at times in the four years since the Buccaneers took him in the first round of the 2009 NFL draft, says that when it’s all said and done, he doesn’t just want to be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He wants to be one of the best players in the history of the sport of football.

“When I look at who I want to be and what I want to be as a player, it exceeds everything that anybody else could hope for,” Freeman told the Tampa Tribune. “I want to push it. When I leave the game, I want to be known as one of the best that ever played.”

Freeman had a solid season last year, with 4,065 yards and 27 touchdowns, but turnovers are a serious problem: In the last two seasons he has a total of 39 interceptions and 19 fumbles. He won’t be known as one of the best ever until he learns to take care of the ball.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
74 Responses to “Josh Freeman: I want to be known as one of the best ever”
  1. therealraider says: Jul 26, 2013 8:05 PM

Freeman works hard, with the right coaching he can be a very good quarterback.

2. jiggy3198 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:11 PM

Are you kidding me. I thought Tony Romo saying he wanted to be an OC was the funniest but I stand corrected.

3. jiggy3198 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:13 PM

And people were all over Joe flacco for believing he’s elite.

4. theysone says: Jul 26, 2013 8:13 PM

Uh, good luck with that. You’re not even the best in your division.

5. Patriot42 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:19 PM

I wanted to be John Wayne but it didn’t happen.

6. aresarrow says: Jul 26, 2013 8:26 PM

I also would like to be known as one of the best ever. I also am delusional.

7. fanfrommontreal says: Jul 26, 2013 8:27 PM

Then a career change is in order.

8. swampcannons says: Jul 26, 2013 8:27 PM

Very glad that he’s the QB in Tampa. He has looked bad at times but has also shown improvement overall. It certainly appears that most of the pieces are in place and it is his year to do it. I like his chances and you cannot knock his work ethic as he’s put in the time, now it’s gonna show or he’s gone. My $$ is on him succeeding.

9. flaccodelic says: Jul 26, 2013 8:28 PM

Me too. But reality keeps getting in the way for both of us.

10. skoobyfl says: Jul 26, 2013 8:29 PM

Losman expected the HOF as well, keeping it real.

11. blacknole08 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:31 PM

For an extended stretch though last season, Freeman did look like one of the best QBs in the NFL. He’s exciting to watch, as we saw back in ’10 with those comebacks and some last season. But he likes to force throws too. He had back to back 4 INT games. Bottom line: he needs to be consistent. AND this is a contract year.

Bucs have added some nice pieces around him these last 2 off-seasons (Nicks, Jackson, Revis, Goldson, drafting Martin) and dumped some dead weight (Blount, Talib).

If there is any extra incentive, if he can’t get it done now, he’s got Glennon who they brought in that just might.

12. raideralex99 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:33 PM

Too late Josh RG3, Rusell Wilson, Kaepernick even Cam Newton have done more in one year than you did in 4 years but look at the bright side you are thousand times better than JaMarcus.

13. ironhead3000 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:39 PM

Drug test him now!

14. peytonsneck18 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:39 PM

well we know whos next to get suspended due to “recreational drug” usage

15. mdd913 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:40 PM

I wanted to be a dinosaur when I grew up, I’m pretty sure there’s a better chance of that happening than Josh Freeman being one of the best ever.

16. nomoreseasontix says: Jul 26, 2013 8:43 PM

Me too… But it ain’t gonna happen.
    I’m over it, though…..

17. slammincamnewton says: Jul 26, 2013 8:44 PM

McNabb must’ve got to him

18. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:44 PM

If he came out and said: “I want to be remembered as one of the most mediocre players to play the game,” would you honestly respect him more for saying that instead? Freeman has the right mindset, especially for your starting quarterback.

You shouldn’t be afraid of setting high goals and falling short, you should be afraid of someday looking back and realizing your goals were never set high enough in the first place.

19. somekat says: Jul 26, 2013 8:56 PM

Freeman is OK, and he has the ability to develop into a top 10, maybe even top 5 QB if he can learn to take care of the ball.

But the best ever? Come on man. I can understand trying to set the bar high for yourself, but there has to be a least little realism to it

20. bennyb82 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:56 PM

I think the best players in every sport do not think about being the best at least in comparison to others…they focus on the things that allow them to be victorious today. They may have it in the back of their mind that they want to be the best ever, but rarely do the actual best say they are the best. I get that Freeman has high goals, but he would be best suited to never think about being the best and just focus on what he can do to succeed NOW. With that said, I am in no position to be giving an NFL qb any advice…

21. rodgers419 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:56 PM

He’s already a top 32 player at his position out of millions of people who’d like to do what he does. He’s achieved more by age 25 than any of you unemployed fat slobs in PFT’s comment section ever will.

22. northbynw27 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:57 PM

Perhaps you should start with one of the best on the Bucs.

23. ebr362 says: Jul 26, 2013 9:00 PM

Than change your name to Dan Marino, its Fla afterall!

24. thewarrenmoon says: Jul 26, 2013 9:01 PM

If Andy Dalton said that the press would ridicule him. Yet he is way more accomplished. Only QB in NFL history to have 20 plus td’s and reach playoffs in first two years.

25. mackcarrington says: Jul 26, 2013 9:01 PM

Why does he wear a glove on his non-throwing hand?

26. glazerh8er says: Jul 26, 2013 9:06 PM

Unfortunately we’re never going to have an easy schedule in the NFC South for a long time. Overall we have the best QBs in the league. The one year we played a weak schedule he won 10 games with 10 rookies/free agents starters and his coach was Raheem Morris. I think we are being foolish not signing him long term now. Goat most likely not Superbowl capable…..more than capable.

27. bucrightoff says: Jul 26, 2013 9:10 PM

He just needs to do it like 2010 again. Don’t do everything, just make the plays that are there and when its not… RUN! I am sick of him not using his legs anymore, the last couple seasons he seems determined to show people he can stand back there and make the throws as a pocket QB. He is so dangerous on the roll and outside the tackles because he’s huge and he can run it fairly well.

28. modhairken says: Jul 26, 2013 9:11 PM

and Anthony Weiner wants to be Mayor of New York

29. bucforever says: Jul 26, 2013 9:13 PM

Josh has always seemed to have a great attitude. I remember him saying in his rookie season how he wanted to be as good a QB as Tom Brady. Freeman has shown flashes of greatness but has lacked the consistency need to be a great QB like Brady. Maybe he is just a late bloomer like I remember John Elway was. I hope he finds his “groove” this season and lead the Bucs to the promised land! GO BUCS!

30. beerbratscheese says: Jul 26, 2013 9:15 PM

I want to be known as one of the best ever too but, you know, reality.

31. onbucky96 says: Jul 26, 2013 9:17 PM

Magic 8ball, what say you?! “Outlook is bleak”.

32. citizenstrange says: Jul 26, 2013 9:22 PM

rodgers419 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:56 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!

33. FlyFromTheInside says: Jul 26, 2013 9:25 PM

Pretty amusing for a guy who may lose his job to Glennon this year

34. bigalhebdman says: Jul 26, 2013 9:28 PM

Being in the South Division with Drew Brees, Matty Ice and Cam Newton may make that wish be a little difficult, but keep trying.

35. j972 says: Jul 26, 2013 9:35 PM

Go to sleep. It’s the only time you’ll be the one of the best of all time

36. blackbug99 says: Jul 26, 2013 9:54 PM

Well, it took me a minute after reading the title to think who you were. So, good luck with that!!

37. sportsnut101 says: Jul 26, 2013 9:56 PM

Cam newton has done the same thing as him had 1 good yr

38. abninf says: Jul 26, 2013 10:02 PM

Carlos Danger wants to be the best ever mayor of NYC.

39. modellforprez says: Jul 26, 2013 10:15 PM

Well thats good Joshy, Because if there has been say oh i dont know 7,000 quarterbacks all time you should be in the top 6,500 some place

40. shaggyjeff says: Jul 26, 2013 10:22 PM

Josh set franchise records last year after 4 OC s in 4 years …

Guy is only 25 yrs old and 1 of 10 qb’s on the NFL to throw for 4000 yards last year…

He will definitely be the best BUC. QB of all time …book it .

41. db3300 says: Jul 26, 2013 10:33 PM

—————–

I agree that Freeman’s a scrub on most teams but reminds us again of what these other 4 guys have accomplished. I don’t recall any championships for these guys. There have been a lot of rookies that had good first years and then fell off the planet. Year 2 can be a b***h.

42. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 26, 2013 10:43 PM

Sorry Josh, just bad luck that you happen to be the second best young QB from Missouri playing in Florida at the moment.

43. getadealdonealready says: Jul 26, 2013 10:51 PM

If you mean comedian, well this is a good start!

44. petedutcherjr says: Jul 26, 2013 10:53 PM

You guys just do not get it. He is saying he wants to keep striving to be the best.

Nothing wrong with that.

45. 69finfan says: Jul 26, 2013 10:57 PM

I would like to be able to dunk a basketball on a 10 foot hoop without the use of a trampoline but unless gravity changes that aint happening.

46. shaggyjeff says: Jul 26, 2013 11:01 PM

The best Buc QB without a doubt….book it..

Dude has had. 4 OC s in his first few years..and already set franchise records last year…

If he could play CB we would have gone to the playoffs last year,,

47. bigdawgy54 says: Jul 26, 2013 11:23 PM

Josh Freeman is going to be lucky to even be a Buccaneer next season. There’s a good reason the organization did not extend his contract. This kind of comment goes to the root of Freeman’s shortcomings.
    Freeman has all of the physical tools needed to be a great QB in the NFL. However, maybe the most important asset a QB possesses is cerebral. Freeman has shown little improvement over the last four years with regards to reading defensive schemes. In my opinion, Freeman has already reached the peak of his capabilities.
    The Buccaneers are going to be looking for a quarterback after this season.

48. saints4life57 says: Jul 26, 2013 11:48 PM

Ummm one the the best ever what? Oh I want to be known as one of the sexiest men to ever live but i’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen! I don’t think Freeman should hold his breath on this one! lol

49. swampcannons says: Jul 27, 2013 12:10 AM

^^^^^^
    Looks like someone touched a nerve there, eh tubby?!

50. tampamac says: Jul 27, 2013 2:26 AM

Man, tough crowd today.. While he may never attain that lofty goal, nothing wrong with aiming high. Keep in mind he’s only 25 years old and realistically can have a good 10 years of high level football in front of him. I think this year, his 5th starting, is his crossroads year. We’ll see if he can make a Flacco-esque improvement or if he’s destined to be Jason Campbell 2.0.

51. alldonesmith says: Jul 27, 2013 3:46 AM

Good luck

52. bonniebengal says: Jul 27, 2013 4:56 AM

So what? I would like to think every player hopes to be one of the best ever at their respective position.

53. sidepull says: Jul 27, 2013 6:17 AM

Why is it that during training camp there are a select group of players who always talk this smack or come up wish some really ignorant comment like Freeman just did?

Next it will be Dynasty or Dream Team. The eagles were dumb enough to do that 2 years in a row.

54. hehateme2 says: Jul 27, 2013 7:37 AM

BWAHAHAHAHA! It would only be more funny coming from markie sanchez.

55. acmepackers says: Jul 27, 2013 8:02 AM

Stop throwing picks

56. norrinradd12 says: Jul 27, 2013 8:05 AM

In 2010 he had 9 turnovers, in the first 13 games of 2012 he only had 9 also. When the Bucs are alive he’s one of the best QBs in the league. When the Bucs are dead his stats take a nose dive and people over-react. He’s at his best when it matters the most. For example in 6 games where the Bucs have been in playoff contention in December he has 14 TDs and 2 INTs.

People do not realize how bad the team has been around him. Since his rookie season they’re 0-8 when he doesn’t play. The only year he had an average defense they won 10 games.

57. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jul 27, 2013 8:35 AM

can someone explain to me how you can have a “solid ” season with all those turnovers?

58. cherrybop says: Jul 27, 2013 8:42 AM

I’m curious to see the results of his latest urine test. I bet Roger Goodell is curious as well, after these comments.

59. andrewsteindione says: Jul 27, 2013 8:46 AM

Best what?

60. discosucs2005 says: Jul 27, 2013 8:57 AM

I honestly feel like he’s one of those guys that can be. It’s impossible to know what’ll happen, but is anyone really going to say that he has any flaws that are insurmountable?

It takes hard work, good coaching, a good surrounding cast, and the luck of staying healthy, so it’s not like anyone is guaranteeing that he’ll be one of the best, but I think he has a better shot than a lot of guys in the league.

61. nananatman says: Jul 27, 2013 9:02 AM

Who is Josh Freeman?

62. dryzzt23 says: Jul 27, 2013 9:15 AM

Kids today. Keep your trap shut and go out there and produce. Then, and only then, will people decide whether you warrant a spot among the best ever.
    IMO he will not be.

63. jets4everbaby says: Jul 27, 2013 9:16 AM

Wow kid …ur not even the best Qb on ur team ….

64. skimbell says: Jul 27, 2013 9:28 AM

I’d like to be able to fly.

65. stlunatik says: Jul 27, 2013 9:37 AM

What are ya gonna quit n start over?

66. jameswilliams803 says: Jul 27, 2013 9:39 AM

I dont understand why all the other qbs get to use excuses of new system and coaching changes but not Josh…..he”s a good qb and he is about to be great….he will earn millions folks in TAMPA…lets go BUCS…..

67. furnhole says: Jul 27, 2013 9:47 AM

I wanted to be an astronaut………or a cowboy.

68. stonefish67 says: Jul 27, 2013 10:02 AM

Well if so, you have a hell of a long way to go, skippy
    HAHAHAHAHA

69. koolaidcircusbeast says: Jul 27, 2013 10:03 AM

I don’t know about you guys, but when I wake up in the morning, I tend think to myself: “Man, I hope I’m ‘one’ to suck at work today.” and “Man, I hope I’m ‘one’ of the worst at what I can be.” and “Man, I hope I never get ‘one’ of those promotions or raises” and “Man, I hope I can never achieve the goal of being ‘one’ of the employee’s of the month.”

That’s how I get better at my craft, being “one” of the worst. How about you guys?

70. sjs5y7 says: Jul 27, 2013 10:24 AM

If you want to be the best ever, don’t throw 4 picks against the Rams when you have Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and Dallas Clark to throw to.

71. granadafan says: Jul 27, 2013 10:40 AM

“shaggyjeff says:Jul 26, 2013 10:22 PM
    He will definitely be the best BUC. QB of all time …book it .”
    ==============================================

Haha. When the best QBs in your team’s history are Vinny Testaverde and Trent Dilfer, that’s not saying much.

72. swampcannons says: Jul 27, 2013 11:00 AM

@jets4everbaby:

Gotta love getting qb criticism from a jets fan. Freeman is already a HOFer compared to the scrubs you have playing the position. Loving all the hate on this guy for just saying he wants to try and be the best. When he performs well this season plz come back and give us more funny jokes and words of wisdom.

73. pdidit09 says: Jul 29, 2013 9:38 AM

God for you Josh. He needs his teammates to believe in him, who are we really.. A lot of us are unemployed sitting around blogging,, like someone meant to say, even if he was the 32nd best quarterback in the league, that still says, he is better than most of the world. I would love for him to light up the league this year. No, I am not a Tampa Bay fan, a Tony Romo fan, who will actually light up the league and win his first of 3 Super Bowls.

74. bucforever says: Aug 3, 2013 11:56 PM

Trent Dilfer proved that you don’t have to have a great QB to win a Superbowl .