LeSean McCoy wants to be more dominant this season

Dallas Cowboys v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Eagles running back LeSean McCoy has made it clear that he’s not particularly interested in who wins the team’s quarterback competition because he’s got his mind on other issues.

McCoy wants to step his game up another level in 2013 and move from being a good back to one that dominates games on a consistent basis.

“I want to be more of a student of the game, kind of knowing everybody’s position. I think as far as the talent level, I got that, I’ve kind of mastered it,” McCoy said. “I want to be more dominant. The last 2 years, I’ve had good years, but I don’t think I was dominant.”

The change in coaches to Chip Kelly should help McCoy get the chance to dominate. While Andy Reid often came under criticism for using McCoy less often than seemed appropriate given McCoy’s talent, Kelly’s offense is going to put the back front and center. If the offensive line is healthier and more effective than last year, and it’s hard to imagine that won’t be the case, McCoy is likely to put up some big numbers whether he’s getting the ball from Michael Vick, Nick Foles or Kelly himself.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “LeSean McCoy wants to be more dominant this season”
  1. dennisund says: Jul 26, 2013 10:00 AM

I sure hope he’s in dominant shape, if the offense is going to run a lot of hurry-up style. Depth at RB is going to be as important as how McCoy performs.

2. cpo187 says: Jul 26, 2013 10:03 AM

I want to be Bryce Brown dominate!

3. theanswer0381 says: Jul 26, 2013 10:04 AM

last year he obviously dropped off but the year before last in 2011 he was one of the best backs in the league and was very dominant that year. Last year behind that mickey mouse O-Line he still would have rushed for 1,000yds if he didnt get hurt. But in 2011 he was great. I’ll take another one of those years and I think Eagles fans agree. Plus having Bryce Brown and Felix Jones in that backfield. It should be very affective.

4. blacknole08 says: Jul 26, 2013 10:13 AM

McCoy could have a huge year. I forsee him grabbing 100 catches and 1000+ yards rushing in this offense. He would be the 3rd player ever to do this.

Of course this means he has to stay healthy.

5. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jul 26, 2013 10:50 AM

As opposed to those of us who want to be less dominant at our jobs this year

6. cowboyhater says: Jul 26, 2013 10:56 AM

This is one back that kills our team every year. Have a lot respect for his talent, and his saying that will be trouble for defenses this year. He can only hope he has a competent QB in front of him when the season starts.

7. nananatman says: Jul 26, 2013 11:17 AM

He’s gonna be front an centre? Hey defensive line, he’s gonna be front and centre!!

8. manuich1 says: Jul 26, 2013 11:23 AM

David Wilson will make everyone forget about LeSean McCoy. The Beast of the East are back.

9. dlowkey says: Jul 26, 2013 11:23 AM

Hard not to do better when you have a mediocre year after being rated the top RB going into the season. He’s gonna need his team to start getting first downs before he can make good on his word.

10. truths4all says: Jul 26, 2013 11:26 AM

Hey LeSean, its all about DOING IT, not blowing hot air talking about it.

11. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 26, 2013 11:31 AM

Step 1: Beat Vick in a foot race
    Step 2: nevermind…

12. thraiderskin says: Jul 26, 2013 11:39 AM

Overrated …

13. phillysuxbigd says: Jul 26, 2013 11:54 AM

“I this, I that, ….I, I , I” typical of an eagles player to only be concerned about them self as opposed to the team