Victor Cruz changes mind, not underpaid now

Victor Cruz AP

The benefit of hindsight is realizing when that thing you said before sounds ridiculous.

After Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz said in a radio interview he took less money than he deserved in a six-year, $45 million deal, it dawned on him that it might not be the best thing to say out loud.

“It was [perceived] rather incorrectly,” Cruz said at camp Friday, via Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I don’t feel underpaid at all, I’m very excited about my contract and I’m very excited about where I’m at with this team, the position I’m in with this team, I’m excited about everything.

“I don’t look at anyone else in terms of what they got and what everyone else got, it was just a general feeling, an honest feeling at the time and it got kind of depicted the wrong way. But I’m excited man, I’m here.”

The original sentiment was valid, based on what previous markets had led players to believe about their value. He didn’t do nearly as well as he originally hoped, and he was disappointed.

But given time to reflect on his journey from an undrafted rookie to a wealthy and famous person, he decided to circle back.

“If you look at the statistics I’m not even supposed to be standing in front of y’all answering these questions,” Cruz said. “For me to be here with a contract that’s over six years and to be with the best franchise in football, that’s great.”

Self-awareness, even if it runs late, is a wonderful thing.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Victor Cruz changes mind, not underpaid now”
  1. cwk22 says: Jul 26, 2013 7:09 PM

I wish I made $45mm in six years. I would be a lot more satisfied and less grouchy.

2. thepnutgallery2011 says: Jul 26, 2013 7:10 PM

This guy needs to do us all a favor and just keep quiet. Shut down the Twitter to boot. Constant diaherria of the mouth.

3. fakegregbrinda says: Jul 26, 2013 7:17 PM

Can’t believe he said this! He won’t last a year before the capologists catch up to him.

4. sdb0ltz says: Jul 26, 2013 7:21 PM

Even though he just got PAID its refreshing to hear this coming from a Wide Receiver.

5. transam7816 says: Jul 26, 2013 7:23 PM

This guy is always backtracking

6. blacknole08 says: Jul 26, 2013 7:28 PM

No he meant what he said initially. Just like he meant what he tweeted about Zimmerman after he was acquitted.

Stop trying to please people. You lose credibility when you backtrack.

7. mackcarrington says: Jul 26, 2013 7:34 PM

Too late. You are already perceived as another dumb, ungrateful jock who doesn’t know when he has a good thing.

8. michaeljacksonisback says: Jul 26, 2013 7:35 PM

Hey victor, use some of that cash and learn some new dance moves. That salsa is played out! Try the robot or Bobby Brown “every little step I take” moves

9. northstarnic says: Jul 26, 2013 7:37 PM

Must have grown of the taste of foot.

10. GenoAtkinswillnotbestopped says: Jul 26, 2013 7:44 PM

Yeah Victor…. And the Giants probably think they could have squeezed you for less. You got what you’re worth. Look up the definition of Market Value.

11. donth8thehorns says: Jul 26, 2013 7:45 PM

If I was a Head Coach, I would have it written in each contract that all Tweets & Facebook posts would have to clear my Quality control Person. Yep, I would hire someone to proof every word spoken & written by my 53 man group of knuckleheads! Twitter = trouble
    I’m 39, so I don’t even have a twitter account nor do I remotely understand the fascination with it. Facebook the same, but everything I read, proves that twitter does far more harm than good in the hood

12. 4thqtrsaint says: Jul 26, 2013 7:51 PM

The new CBA had a rookie wage scale put in place that should funnel money to the veterans. Instead, it has become a Quarterback Lotto. Each QB is getting paid more than the last one, whether or not its earned. That’s exactly what was happening with rookies before the new CBA.

I know QBs are the most important position, but at some point, there will be a revolt by the other players. It may take this headline to do it “Josh Freeman gets $19 million a year; $55 mil guaranteed”

13. slammincamnewton says: Jul 26, 2013 7:58 PM

As long as the Jets exist, this guy can say whatever he wants.

14. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 26, 2013 7:58 PM

Cruz was probably asked a few hundred times by different members of the media about his contract situation, and as much as he wants to just sound off on it all and express his true discontent…he should have been ready to tell each and every person who asks him about it: “I’m just gonna let my agent do his job and handle my contract situation, and I’m going to be focused entirely upon my job as a football player.”

The worst part about this is how today’s media has created a situation in which professional athletes aren’t entirely comfortable speaking what is truly on their minds, completely in fear of any potential backlash or having their words misconstrued for the sake of a news article. Nowadays, media members know that it’s tougher to get authentic answers out of players, so they do whatever it takes to try and bait players into saying something that they will regret down the road. Don’t give those blood sucking leeches any opportunity to latch onto you, they’ll suck you dry.

15. fryeways says: Jul 26, 2013 7:59 PM

He’s right, he got a lowball deal. But that’s because he lost all his leverage when he signed his tender, so it’s really his fault that he’s underpaid. Great player, though.

16. swaggyy says: Jul 26, 2013 8:00 PM

You’re just overpaid now Vic

17. deezenucks says: Jul 26, 2013 8:03 PM

Cruz must have a foot fetish, cuz lately he’s been inserting his into his mouth on a regular basis.

18. rhamrhoddy says: Jul 26, 2013 8:08 PM

You either agree to the absurd amount offered to you or you hold out until you get what you think you deserve.

You don’t sign a contract and then go on the radio and say you got hosed. You look stupid and also greedy.

I bet Coughlin has told this guy to zip it.

19. timebandit24 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:22 PM

I wonder if he tries to backtrack when he finished with his ol lady

20. bengalskuta82 says: Jul 26, 2013 8:59 PM

Hey Cruz I like what you said in the first place. You were honest. That’s cool and a lot of fans will respect that.
    Now that you are trying to lie or you have lied, its just not cool at all.
    Be your own man and don’t let people around you change who you are

21. modhairken says: Jul 26, 2013 9:12 PM

How is he going to catch passes with both feet in his mouth?

22. pats777 says: Jul 26, 2013 9:12 PM

Congratulations Victor, you have successfully joined the next generation of the NFL phenomenon known as the Wide Receiver Diva.

23. justintuckrule says: Jul 26, 2013 9:18 PM

You people complain about when players speak the truth and complain about the same ol’ boring cliche comments. Honestly…what would make you dolts happy?

24. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Jul 26, 2013 9:21 PM

I liked you better when you were poor !

25. 49erstim says: Jul 26, 2013 9:45 PM

I used to like Cruz….until this and the Zimmerman thing

26. censoredagain says: Jul 26, 2013 10:04 PM

Damn Vic, either man up or shut up, dude. You keep making it worse by adding to it. Let it go, and make everyone else forget by proving you deserve to get paid such an astronomical amount of money without complaining that it isn’t enough.

Go Blue

27. rhymenosaurus says: Jul 26, 2013 10:54 PM

I hope none of you guys who are bashing him are Giants fans.

28. dirk504 says: Jul 26, 2013 11:31 PM

Maybe he’d like to spend an 8hr day in my cubicle… and then view my paycheck.

29. pancaketaco says: Jul 27, 2013 12:04 AM

So what is it…you’re under paid or you wish death on people.

30. saints4life57 says: Jul 27, 2013 12:10 AM

Damn what are the Giants thinking only giving him $45 million! lol You got to be kidding me man! 45 million to play a sport that you love! Not to mention how popular you are in the NFL and with the Giants fan base! I really hope this is true and he reflected back and realized how stupid it was for him to say something like that and it’s not just his agent or someone telling him what to say! Be grateful your getting a chance to play NFL football! Sorry bro I can’t agree with you that your on the best team in the NFL but i’m glad you think that! Best go out and prove it first! Also i’m sorry your soooo poor! Maby your next contract will be for $500 million! Is that what you think your worth? ; )

31. msclemons67 says: Jul 27, 2013 12:56 AM

If I were an NFL player I would leave the country during the offseason. There is a legion of sports reporters with nothing to do but dissect and analyze everything you do and say. One little slip and “boom!” headlines.

Asking young, wealthy men in their 20’s to be on perfect behavior for 6 months out of the year is an impossible task. These young guys would be better off hanging out in Germany or Australia or anywhere across an ocean from the US. At least make TMZ, Deadspin and the other gossip sites buy a plane ticket to catch you off guard.

32. akboot says: Jul 27, 2013 1:53 AM

He’s got one of those spring loaded jaws.

33. whodey420 says: Jul 27, 2013 3:28 AM

9 million a year for a slot receiver. lmao. Don’t quit your day job pimping Campbell’s Soup!

34. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Jul 27, 2013 8:03 AM

Cruz role model goal stats = 0 for 2. What a knucklehead!

35. pologroundsvet says: Jul 27, 2013 8:09 AM

The guy’s a great human interst story, a hell of a football player. a “character” player, and, by all accounts, a good guy who remembers where he came from. He handled his first go round of negotiations like a real pro. No bad mouthing. No childish moves. He’s entitled to a small slip up now and again. The Giants and all Giants fans are happy to have him.

36. melikefootball says: Jul 27, 2013 8:13 AM

This guy can’t figure out what he wants to say.

37. bigbluefanatic says: Jul 27, 2013 8:15 AM

Cruz needs a good PR person to help keep his Ferragamo’s from winding up on his dinner plate.

38. bsizemore68 says: Jul 27, 2013 8:49 AM

Pro football has become a joke. Instead of learning a new dance, how about buying a new skirt to dance in, or the Giants should have all the players wear one, and dance and watch the female cheer leaders play football. Bill

39. woodrree7 says: Jul 27, 2013 11:20 AM

Cruz is WAY OVERRATED and WAY OVERPAID! He had 1 good year, gets a new contract and bitches that he’s. underpaid.

40. excessivedrinking says: Jul 27, 2013 3:16 PM

Spent the money on the wrong WR. Nicks is better than Cruz.

41. bighurt228 says: Jul 27, 2013 10:22 PM

This guy is another one that opened his mouth without thinking. He’s an ungrateful POS …….shut up and go earn your money!! If he has a bad season will he give the giants a refund??