Tomlin embraces Twitter, Chudzinski won’t

Mike Tomlin AP

Most coaches are decidedly old school when it comes to social media.

Steelers boss Mike Tomlin is not most coaches.

Tomlin became the fifth NFL head coach with an active Twitter account yesterday, and he already has more than 60,000 followers in his first day.

His debut was typical straightforward Tomlin: “Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire!”

This should be exciting, me delving into the social media world,” Tomlin said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We spend time talking to our guys about what to do and what not to do, and I thought it would be appropriate and timely to show them. We’ll see if I can do it in a professional manner. . . .

“My kids are getting to the point in their life where I need to educate myself about it largely, so I’m killing a couple of birds with the same stone. So follow me!”

One coach who won’t be following him, or anyone, is new Browns boss Rob Chudzinski.

I’m not a real technology guy,” Chudzinski said, via Tom Reed of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I wouldn’t even know how to get started on that. I have a hard enough time with my cell phone. I’ve got a lot going on.”

If nothing else, having an account gives Tomlin the opportunity to keep tabs on what his players are tweeting about (such that someone else in the organization isn’t already monitoring that).

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Tomlin embraces Twitter, Chudzinski won’t”
  1. youarejealousof6rings says: Jul 27, 2013 10:32 AM

I just wanted to take this time to remind everyone that the Browns haven’t won a playoff game in nearly twenty years. Thanks.

2. t8ertot says: Jul 27, 2013 10:36 AM

What’s he going to tweet when the Bengals roll over him twice this year?

3. MichaelWrites says: Jul 27, 2013 10:47 AM

By this time tomorrow he’ll have more followers than I do. @MichaelEdits

4. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jul 27, 2013 10:47 AM

Would’ve been nice if you could tell us who the other 4 coached were. cmon man!

5. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 27, 2013 10:53 AM

Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire! This team is doomed.

6. nemobhax says: Jul 27, 2013 10:58 AM

That awkward moment when your boss follows you on Twitter/Facebook/Google+.

7. Iknoweverything says: Jul 27, 2013 11:02 AM

Oh how cute. Another grown man going on Twitter.
    Is he on Facebook too? Does he Farmville?

Seriously?

8. 1historian says: Jul 27, 2013 11:09 AM

you’ll be sorry

Signed – certified old fart who barely knows how to operate his cellphone and is happy about it.

9. godofwine330 says: Jul 27, 2013 11:33 AM

Lifelong Browns fan, but Coach Tomlin is a good dude. I don’t tweet, even at the ripe young age of 36 that stuff is way younger than my time. I don’t really care to get into what athletes and celebrities think because to me it is their art that concerns me more. Props to him tweeting. If I wasn’t a Browns fan I would be a fan of this dude. Seems like a good guy and a good coach.

As far as Coach Chud, that’s cool, too. Be you, and tweeting isn’t him.

10. citizenstrange says: Jul 27, 2013 12:02 PM

Does “Just straight fire” mean the same thing as “Unleash Hell?”

11. lionsmark09 says: Jul 27, 2013 12:09 PM

Pretty sure his isn’t the first coach on twitter. Who cares….

12. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 27, 2013 12:11 PM

Next thing Mike is going to take a computer course so he doesn’t have to keep pestering the public librarians for help logging onto his account.

13. dwhcic says: Jul 27, 2013 12:52 PM

I’m following him, and yes I will read his tweets with my best impersonation of his voice.

14. mgpet says: Jul 27, 2013 1:45 PM

A head coach tweeting is a head coach not busy prepping for his next game.

15. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 27, 2013 3:30 PM

Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire! This team is doomed.

40 25 Too funny! Your handle is basically a BS alert for steeler fans that a master troll is at work. Get a life….I am sure Tomlin values your opinion…..right?

16. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 27, 2013 4:43 PM

Dear Tomlin kids,
    Though it won’t be often, please deactivate your dad’s twitter acct after a loss. Sincerely, a concerned fan.